Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No reason it shouldn't, though I can't recommend eliminating the receiver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I set my partner's system up like this and it works well. Does your turntable have a phono preamp built in? If not, you'll need to get one separately.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What's a good wireless headset for a computer (with good range)? I'm using some logitec ones that don't have good range and I want to be able to listen to stuff while I clean the house.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Thanks for the advices. Mine doesn't have the pre-amp so I'll look to sell it and pick up one that does. I am hesitant to step-down the sound quality, but the thought of wiring up a whole new place is just not attractive at all. I like the low profile of being able to just have Sonos, a turntable, and a slim blu-ray player and I'm willing to give up a bit in sound quality for that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like the low profile too **looks over at my crates of records that smell like an old lady’s closet***

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Tambreet posted:

Thanks for the advices. Mine doesn't have the pre-amp so I'll look to sell it and pick up one that does. I am hesitant to step-down the sound quality, but the thought of wiring up a whole new place is just not attractive at all. I like the low profile of being able to just have Sonos, a turntable, and a slim blu-ray player and I'm willing to give up a bit in sound quality for that.

This preamp works just fine, and probably small enough to tuck behind.

BEHRINGER MICROPHONO PP400 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H2BC4E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4q.GBb0ZKTBKD

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Anyone used Monoprice's Nimbus Plenum rated cable? Is it flexible like they claim on the website?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=13709&seq=1&format=2

I need in wall rated cable but I'm also almost out of regular speaker cable. So if I can kill 2 birds with one spool then that would be great.
I want something that is softer and flexible like regular speaker cable, not hard like PVC jacket plenum rated cables.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a set of M-Audio speakers for my desktop computer that are great. What's not great is I think the speaker wire that connects the two together is bad (chew marks from cat all over cable, whoops). What cable do I need to buy to replace it? I see tons with giant banana plugs on the end, or spools of 100 ft, but I just need 5 feet of basic speaker cable without plugs on the end. I'd rather just buy it outright rather than having to do any cutting/trimming.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

iddqd posted:

I have a set of M-Audio speakers for my desktop computer that are great. What's not great is I think the speaker wire that connects the two together is bad (chew marks from cat all over cable, whoops). What cable do I need to buy to replace it? I see tons with giant banana plugs on the end, or spools of 100 ft, but I just need 5 feet of basic speaker cable without plugs on the end. I'd rather just buy it outright rather than having to do any cutting/trimming.

Go to your local hardware store and get some lamp cord for like 20 cents.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a hard time finding opinions on this:

Assuming I have an adequate power amp, would a lower impedance (4ohm) speaker be better or worse at lower volumes?

I'll probably be listening at lower volumes more often than I would like, so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

I'm not set on low impedance speakers. They just come up when I'm looking around.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There'll be no difference.

Lower-impedance speakers play louder for the same voltage because they allow more current to flow, that's the only difference.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have a dumb question (cross posting from Headphones because this thread is probably more appropriate):

If I'm listening to music on headphones from a computer, should I:
  • set the master volume to the desired level, and max out the application volume
  • max out the master volume and set the application volume to the desired level?
I think that I've generally done the former, roughly, with speakers (more accurately: max application, max master, set speaker volume to desired level), but my headphones and DAC don't have direct volume adjustment, so I'm not sure which I should use, and I don't hear a significant difference between the two. So far, the only major argument I have come up with is to do the former option, because it keeps that text message rolling in from being deafening.

I'm curious in general, but specific setup that made me ask if it matters: iTunes playing on a Macbook Pro (11,4), driving Oppo PM-3 headphones, via a Sound Blaster PLAY! 3 USB DAC/Amp.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 31, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It won't matter.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Groovy, thank you!

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

There'll be no difference.

Lower-impedance speakers play louder for the same voltage because they allow more current to flow, that's the only difference.

Awesome, thanks!

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Hi goons, I'm having some speaker troubles. I bought my first AV gear, a used 7.1 PSB Alpha surround setup with a Sony receiver and I just can't get the front tower speakers to sound good. No matter what I do they sound muffled and hollow.

Things I have tried:
Auto-calibration
Manually adjusting bass, treble, crossover
Bi-wiring
Swapping out the wires
Replacing one of the speakers (sounded clearer)
Positioning them away from everything else

I'm at a loss. It seems like a problem with the speakers, but they are both having the same issue. They sound a little better at higher volumes but at low to mid volumes they sound like poop. Please help!

Edit: These are the speakers and receiver
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/alpha/Alpha-T1-Tower
https://esupport.sony.com/CA/p/model-home.pl?mdl=STRDG820

Painful Dart Bomb fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 11, 2018

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
What audio are you testing with? Make sure you are piping straight stereo sound to only the LR Front channels.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

bigman.50grand posted:

What audio are you testing with? Make sure you are piping straight stereo sound to only the LR Front channels.

Movies, music and games on my Xbox and PC. I had both outputs set to 7.1 though, I'll try setting them to stereo tonight when I get home. Thanks!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You may get a hollow sound if one of the speakers' phase is inverted, so double check if all the plusses and minuses are connected correctly on all ends.

e: and yeah, some stereo signal to surround upconverting modes aren't great, so straight stereo is a good thing to try.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 11, 2018

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Yeah, any stereo signal that gets unconverted to surround will end up dumping a ton of the sound into the center channel, leaving only minimal sounds that are hard panned left or right to come out of the left and right speakers. Things like speech and snare drums will sound particularly muffled.

Short of the phasing issue mentioned above, the crossovers in the speakers or the L/R channels in the receiver might be borked. You can try hooking the speakers into a different receiver if you have one, or hook them up one at a time to the center channel to see how they sound vs your center speaker. If the sound is way off, I'd start to eyeball the speakers. If not, then something fucky is going on with your receiver. If the latter, try disabling the crossover in the receiver entirety and go from there.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

bigman.50grand posted:

Yeah, any stereo signal that gets unconverted to surround will end up dumping a ton of the sound into the center channel, leaving only minimal sounds that are hard panned left or right to come out of the left and right speakers. Things like speech and snare drums will sound particularly muffled.

Short of the phasing issue mentioned above, the crossovers in the speakers or the L/R channels in the receiver might be borked. You can try hooking the speakers into a different receiver if you have one, or hook them up one at a time to the center channel to see how they sound vs your center speaker. If the sound is way off, I'd start to eyeball the speakers. If not, then something fucky is going on with your receiver. If the latter, try disabling the crossover in the receiver entirety and go from there.

Thanks I'll try that tonight. I tried using only L and R channels with stereo sound from PC and Xbox with no improvement. Also tried inverting the phases and switching the speakers from the A to B output on the receiver.

If the receiver ends up being borked would this be a decent upgrade? https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/denon-avrs740h-7-2-channel-4k-ultra-hd-network-av-receiver/12468258.aspx#pdp-nearby-stores-modal

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I'm not up on gear these days so I'll defer to other posters, but my initial reaction is to the link is "looks great to me!"

I'm suspecting it's your speakers though. Did you do any more testing?

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

bigman.50grand posted:

I'm not up on gear these days so I'll defer to other posters, but my initial reaction is to the link is "looks great to me!"

I'm suspecting it's your speakers though. Did you do any more testing?

Last night I tried them on another receiver, configured everything with the audyssey setup tool and they still sound like crap. Even when hooked to the center channel. :smith: At least I know! Is there anything else I can try with the speakers, or is it time to start looking for new ones?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
You'd have to diagnose either the crossovers or speakers in each to see what the issue is. Looking at the spec sheet, the crossovers are rated at 3000 hz which is right in the range that makes stuff sound not muddy or muffled so they could be blown and the speakers can't work right, or the speakers are blown and the crossovers are fine. Diagnosing either is going to depend on your experience and how much time and money you want to throw at the issue.

Ideally, all of the other speakers and your receiver are working properly. If that's the case, and you feel confident that there are no other issues, I'd start searching for a pair of quality replacement speakers for the LR channels. That way you have a decent receiver and the beginnings of a good core system you can build on in the future. You can find a decent set of L R speakers for aroundnd the same price as the Denon you linked earlier.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Take one and maybe also your amp too a local hi-fi shop, they'd love to sell you replacements.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

Thanks for the advice goons! I got everything cheap enough that I don't feel bad replacing the speakers since everything else appears to work fine. My brother likes to tinker with electronics so I might let him see what he can do with them and start eyeing up new ones in the meantime.

Would this be a decent option? https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/polk-audio-monitor70-series-ii-275-watt-tower-speaker-black-single/12556741.aspx

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh you poor bastard. BB had a great sale on that ended yesterday. A lot of Klipsch stuff was half price, my buddy bought a whole set. What you got linked doesn't look bad though.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Finally starting to build my system! Definitely going to take a long rear end time! haha

Since I have to start from the ground up, can I just hook up my macbook directly from the headphone jack (3.5mm -> RCA) into a passive preamp for volume control, then into my new power amp? I'm guessing the macbook has its own (crappy) DAC, so that should do just for testing, or not?

Just ordered the preamp, Schiit Sys, next step will be the bigger one of the power amp and speakers. Still looking around, but when I get them I want to test everything ASAP just to make sure everything works right out of the box.

Not looking for the best sound at first, just want to make sure everything is ok before the return window closes.

My main concern is whether I need an external DAC or if it works directly from the macbook. Had the Fiio D03K, but that didn't work out. Not looking to invest in a DAC as I'm not focusing on a digital source.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's no point in "upgrading" a DAC unless it doesn't have the inputs you need or it causes audible noise. Your MacBook is probably fine.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, that came out weird.

I'm building the system purely for vinyl, but it'll be while before I can get a table and so on, so I just need to test things as I get them to make sure they work.

I'm totally fine with playing the little digital material I have through my cheap rear end monoprice headphones as I usually do. I just wasn't sure if I could connect my laptop directly to a power amp or if needed a DAC in-between before it would work. Never had an amp before, just have been using cheap PC speakers and/or aux in all-in-one "stereo systems".

Brain fart I guess, since if the signal works for a pair of headphones, then it should work for a power amp/speaker combo. Makes sense!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, just stick it in there. You don't even need a pre-amp really since the laptop has one built in. I think you'll be surprised how good it sounds - it will absolutely sound better than any vinyl. I get why people like vinyl, but even cheap digital audio sources are superior by any objective measure.

Edit: Figure I should link the cable you need.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Livewire/35mm-to-Dual-RCA-Cable.gc

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 16, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks for teh response, KillHour, I didn't have to waste my time with it.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Yeah, just stick it in there. You don't even need a pre-amp really since the laptop has one built in. I think you'll be surprised how good it sounds - it will absolutely sound better than any vinyl. I get why people like vinyl, but even cheap digital audio sources are superior by any objective measure.

Edit: Figure I should link the cable you need.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Livewire/35mm-to-Dual-RCA-Cable.gc

Great, that should do just fine for a good long while. Thanks!

Yeah, a decade plus of :filez: have definitely screwed up my relationship with all things digital. I just kind of realized that I'm only going to actually support stuff if I get something physical in return.

Plus, there are some great small labels putting out awesome stuff and need the support.

The vinyl craze won't last forever... but it'll definitely outlive my hearing!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's totally fine. Like I said, I get why people like vinyl. I'm just reassuring you that it won't sound like crap. It's probably worth leaving a 3.5mm input available in the final build, just in case you ever want to listen to something not in your collection or just don't want to deal with breaking out the records.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

moflika posted:

Plus, there are some great small labels putting out awesome stuff and need the support.

I buy the digital copies for smaller labels because it doesn't cost them anywhere near as much to put them up for sale as the vinyl or cassette versions do. And places like Bandcamp let you download in any number of quality levels which is rad as gently caress.

I get why people like vinyl but man the quality isn't amazing and gently caress having to flip it over/switch to hear an entire album.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I buy the digital copies for smaller labels because it doesn't cost them anywhere near as much to put them up for sale as the vinyl or cassette versions do. And places like Bandcamp let you download in any number of quality levels which is rad as gently caress.

I get why people like vinyl but man the quality isn't amazing and gently caress having to flip it over/switch to hear an entire album.

I like buying vinyl through bandcamp because I can usually download the album immediately and then I get a pretty picture disc in the mail that I never have to actually listen to but have the option if I want.

Has anyone used cables from http://www.gothamaudiousa.com/
I'm about to pick up a few spools of shielded single conductor for instrument cable and RCA interconnects.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 18, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Go straight to the audiophile thread with this stuff. 30 bucks for RCA cable for your record player? Come on. Maybe their mic cables are a fair price, I dunno. Try monoprice for your home audio needs. Sheesh.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LRADIKAL posted:

Go straight to the audiophile thread with this stuff. 30 bucks for RCA cable for your record player? Come on. Maybe their mic cables are a fair price, I dunno. Try monoprice for your home audio needs. Sheesh.

You missed the part where I'm buying spools of cable to make my own. $.30/foot is pretty loving good at any rate and even better than Monoprice prices.
Good cable isn't cheap. Mogami is like $1.21/foot on parts express now.
I'm mostly just curious how flexible and durable it is, but also if someone has made longer lengths, if they've had any issues with inductance or noise. I'm looking to get a spool of their single shielded and 2 spools of their double shielded from their little sale.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Well, let us know how it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LRADIKAL posted:

Well, let us know how it is!

I definitely will! Considering the prices they're charging, it's worth it to take a gamble.
Any recommendation on good RCA connectors? I don't have a preference on soldered vs solderless really, I just want something compact.