Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

It gets faster, I promise. Vanilla socks are great for knitting while at the movies or on the bus or something. Netflix, Val, use the power of bad terrible tv shows to your advantage!

I have the same thing about sock yarn, kind of, for the stuff like Smooshy with Cashmere and fancy fancy handpaints. I worry about ruining them, but then I remember that hand knit socks are comfy and also gently caress it, it's the best thing to do with one off skeins. King Cole DK is great though not just because it's tough, that stuff is comfortable and soft and so many colors.

I think I might make a pair of Pomatomus socks with some handspun superwash Targhee/nylon, if I can find it in the stash. I know it's there, it's just not surfacing. O need a break from TdF right now. :/ I need a crab-themed project that isn't a crab hat, too. Maybe a crab sweater? Crab gansey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sock yarn is perfect for gloves and mittens! There are tons of options from vanilla to complex, and they don't go on your feet for nobody to see.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

hamjobs posted:

It gets faster, I promise. Vanilla socks are great for knitting while at the movies or on the bus or something. Netflix, Val, use the power of bad terrible tv shows to your advantage!

I can't decide on a show/movie to watch. For some reason they cleaned out my list, and I can't remember what shows I wanted to watch to look them up and see if they're still available. I'm mad at Netflix right now, but I'm sure we'll make up eventually.

Edit: So, I've got the first two inches or so of the first sock toe done, and the whole time I'm thinking, "What kind of weirdo has feet shaped like this?" Then I looked at pattern pictures. Everyone. Everyone has feet shaped like that, and I'm the weirdo mutant with the chisel shaped feet of bluntness.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 12, 2015

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

hamjobs posted:

I have the same thing about sock yarn, kind of, for the stuff like Smooshy with Cashmere and fancy fancy handpaints. I worry about ruining them, but then I remember that hand knit socks are comfy and also gently caress it, it's the best thing to do with one off skeins. King Cole DK is great though not just because it's tough, that stuff is comfortable and soft and so many colors.

I made a pair of actual socks in Smooshy with Cashmere and then couldn't bear to put them in my shoes. I use them as bed socks in the winter instead.

turtleluvr
Apr 19, 2015

"mhhr mmmrr mhhh mhhm"

MarsDragon posted:

I made a pair of actual socks in Smooshy with Cashmere and then couldn't bear to put them in my shoes. I use them as bed socks in the winter instead.

I have also made socks with smooshy with cashmere. They feel like you're wearing clouds. My mom claimed them after I had just started though so I only wore them once or twice to model them. I'm one of those weird people who likes the knitting part way more than the wearing part. Also now I live in California so not much need for knitted wool stuff. But wool is so amazing!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

hamjobs posted:

Yeah, I like a lot of King Cole's stuff. It takes a beating, the colorways are nice and I can wash it without fear of ruining some expensive, unique, handmade yarn. I love the royal blue glitz yarn for my dice bags. I should get some more of it, since it doesn't send my budget screaming.

And yeah. I'm sure I'll get over my sock neurosis once I make some and wear 'em. Maybe keep the real fancy ones for puttering around the house or just for winter nights.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Valdara posted:

I can't decide on a show/movie to watch. For some reason they cleaned out my list, and I can't remember what shows I wanted to watch to look them up and see if they're still available. I'm mad at Netflix right now, but I'm sure we'll make up eventually.

Edit: So, I've got the first two inches or so of the first sock toe done, and the whole time I'm thinking, "What kind of weirdo has feet shaped like this?" Then I looked at pattern pictures. Everyone. Everyone has feet shaped like that, and I'm the weirdo mutant with the chisel shaped feet of bluntness.

http://whatthehellshouldiwatchonnetflix.com/

The neat thing about socks is that they'll stretch and morph and fit your feet just fine, probably. Also, if you go toe-up again, you can change the number of cast-on stitches at the beginning to get a shallower toe to handle a less severe toe line. (Or fewer stitches to get a steeper line, depending on what kind of chisel you meant. And you can make your socks left & right mirrors, too.)

Fancy sock talk:

I have store-bought socks with luxury fibers and I've worn through them. I have hand-knitted socks with luxury fibers and haven't worn through them yet. The socks are much thicker, and you'll be paying attention to them more so you can catch the holes/thin parts for repair. Just make a bunch of socks so your nicest pair is in rotation with several others to spread the wear around.

If it has cashmere, I do tend to use it for stuff other than socks. If I get gifted some cashmere sock yarn I'll definitely have to use it for socks, though, to honor the intention of the giver.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Whenever I think about socks, they just seem like so much :effort: to me. Am I missing some magic sock secret that makes them actually wonderful? To me socks equal a lot of attention with the DPN and the rapidly changing instructions. Maybe it gets easier after the first pair?

Tell me your sock secrets.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

a friendly penguin posted:

Whenever I think about socks, they just seem like so much :effort: to me. Am I missing some magic sock secret that makes them actually wonderful? To me socks equal a lot of attention with the DPN and the rapidly changing instructions. Maybe it gets easier after the first pair?

2-At-A-Time Toe-Up Magic Loop so I avoid second sock syndrome and can try them on during construction. I can also make the cuffs as long as I want!

Magic Loop with plain socks lets me not look at the socks while knitting, so I can converse with friends, or binge watch Netflix if I've nothing else to do.

Variegated colors so I keep knitting to see what the next color will look like.

Wearing my first pair of socks and finally having warm feet in the winter.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Started the Exploration Station the other day. After a number of false starts (I've never even knitted an i-cord before, let alone done an i-cord cast on), I'm finally rolling!

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 12, 2015

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Generally, I get fancy sock yarn from closeouts and stuff so I don't feel too terrible about wearing it as socks. Also, that's usually the nice thing I do for myself, because if my feet are happy spinning or being on my feet all day teaching or walking all day, then it's worth using the nice yarns for that.

Sock patterns are completely intimidating to start, sometimes. There's some effort involved with the DPNs, but if you're comfortable with magic loop, try that. If you're comfortable with a 7" or 9" circ, try that. It was definitely easier after I finished the first pair, and gets successively easier the longer I knit small fiddly things. A well-written pattern is also way better to use than something like a "sock recipe" to start off. Rose City Rollers or Hedgehog Fibres' Vestigial are two really easy, well-written one at a time cuff-down patterns. If you want to try knitting a pair of socks toe-up, Dead Simple Toe-Up Socks by Spring Munsel is pretty good (also free on Ravelry).

The main things people seem to have trouble with knitting their first socks seem to be the heel flap and the heel turn (it's just short rows; short rows are not scary), then picking up stitches on the side of the heel. No one will die if you gently caress up a heel flap. I have hosed up a lot of heel flaps and they become a feature, not a bug. If you gently caress up a row and do it wrong, tink it back because you're probably going to have max 64 stitches a row on the foot of most socks. If you decide you hate socks and want to burn the yarn as a sacrifice to Elizabeth Zimmerman, I mean, you can do that, too, or just rip it back and make a Button Jar shawl out of it or Cassis or something, too. I dunno if there are any real secrets other than it's not as scary or magical as it seems.

Edit: Effika knows; 2 (or 4) At A Time Toe-Up is probably my favorite thing for vanilla socks and afterthought heels, once you get construction down.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Sex Hobbit posted:

Started the Exploration Station the other day. After a number of false starts (I've never even knitted an i-cord before, let alone done an i-cord cast on), I'm finally rolling!

Holy balls that's pretty. I like your color choices.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

effika posted:

2-At-A-Time Toe-Up Magic Loop so I avoid second sock syndrome and can try them on during construction. I can also make the cuffs as long as I want!

NGL it feels like the socks take forever, but this is so goddamn worth it because I don't have to think about doing the second sock ever again.

I need longer circs for it though. 40" just doesn't cut it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Even on dpn's if it's a plain or only a simple lace repeat I can just mindless do it while watching/reading other things. magic loop does seem to help people who aren't so much a fan of the DPNs, but not having to constantly turn my work back and forth and just knit until long enough is nice. Plus they seem to just whizz by when most of my other main projects are giant lace shawls or sweaters that take months to finish. My first pair I thought was so slow because I'd never done them before and was mostly doing small projects with handspun, but I fell in love after I needed a break from a semi-circle shawl at the billion stitch stage and suddenly had half a leg done in the time it would take me to do two rows on the shawl.

ETA: also baby socks/booties are catnip i wish i knew more tykes to give them to. now those are fast

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Just to be contrary, I hate doing socks two at a time because it takes too long to get to the heel for me to get that first rush of accomplishment. Though casting on the second sock is never a problem because my brain associates casting on as starting a new project.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
The smallest circular I own is a size 3 and 29". It's not near enough to do two at a time. The cord is old and gross, so it's barely long enough to do magic loop with one sock, but I have gone far over my wool budget lately and need to stop buying things, so I'm getting it done. I have about 5" of the first sock and plan to do an afterthought heel. These socks are for a swap, so they don't have to fit my feet. I just hope they fit the feet of an internet rando.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Mittens/gloves are very close to socks in yardage, weight, and variety of techniques. For me the attention and changing instructions are basically the point. I get super bored if I'm just chugging along with endless stockinette/garter/ribbing. I did that once for a shawl (including stripes and short rows, but mostly just endless garter) and I about died. A glove or mitten is much more entertaining, since past the cuff, every row is different. And I can still knit them while I'm watching TV or out -- the only exception is fingers, which are too fiddly.

Also, stranded colorwork is like crack. Usually I don't mind slacking off, but stranded colorwork constantly has me going "one more row!!!"

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I used to despise projects on tiny needles, but now that seems to be all I do. Most of my socks are done on US3 needles with thicker yarn, which really helps. Something like Paton's Kroy will work up pretty fast on size 2 or 3 needles, and won't break the bank. I got a bunch of it on clearance for $3.50/skein a while back and I'm slowly working through it.

Super ugly discount yarn socks:

I once made a pair of socks for myself in one week because I used size 3 needles and Kroy FX yarn. They are smooshy and wonderful, and I wear them all the time. I made socks out of the same yarn for my husband and he practically lived in them for weeks afterward. I have two more pairs in progress right now, one for me and one for him. :3:

In progress shot:

Right now I'm working two more pairs of socks using Kroy yarns, and these monstrosities on US1 needles. I'm doing single round stockinette stripes, using up all the weird odds and ends in my stash. They're going to take forever and my cable isn't quite long enough to do two at a time comfortably, but it's kind of nice to have something to work on that I have no illusions of finishing anytime soon. There's no rush, the socks will be done whenever they're done. On the other hand, I have worsted weight house socks on size 6s that have just been sitting in my project basket for months. Could probably finish in an hour if I was inclined to work on them, but meh. For some reason, tiny needles are more fun.

Also, gently caress heel flaps forever. Fleegle Heels for life.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Mizufusion posted:

Right now I'm working two more pairs of socks using Kroy yarns, and these monstrosities on US1 needles. I'm doing single round stockinette stripes, using up all the weird odds and ends in my stash. They're going to take forever and my cable isn't quite long enough to do two at a time comfortably, but it's kind of nice to have something to work on that I have no illusions of finishing anytime soon. There's no rush, the socks will be done whenever they're done. On the other hand, I have worsted weight house socks on size 6s that have just been sitting in my project basket for months. Could probably finish in an hour if I was inclined to work on them, but meh. For some reason, tiny needles are more fun.

Also, gently caress heel flaps forever. Fleegle Heels for life.

Ok. Now I know what to do with all my sock yarn samples. I don't know why MAKING loving SOCKS didn't occur to me. I kept trying to think of tiny projects that only need a bit of yarn instead of lumping them all together into the ugliest socks imaginable.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Valdara posted:

Ok. Now I know what to do with all my sock yarn samples. I don't know why MAKING loving SOCKS didn't occur to me. I kept trying to think of tiny projects that only need a bit of yarn instead of lumping them all together into the ugliest socks imaginable.

I got the inspiration form this pattern because how could you not want to make something that awful? :allears:

I have tons of little odds and ends because a friend of mine is a sock-knitting fiend and destashed a bunch of stuff on me. I won't say no to yarn, no matter how hideous or how small the amounts are. I find ways to use it. (I also have an ugly ugly crochet blanket in the works to use up my worsted acrylic scraps..) I think the only yarn in these socks I actually paid for is the bright blue, which is Lion brand Sock-Ease and you can get a giant ball of it, enough for one pair of socks, for something like $10. I used some of it to make two pairs of fingerless gloves and still have a ton left, so into the terrible socks it goes!

You can also use up some of the odds and ends to make ornaments, tiny plush things, or embellishments for other projects. Or yoga socks, which are ridiculous but nice when you want to wear socks but don't want to get that grody feeling from wearing socks all day. I wear them to bed sometimes, or just around the house, and occasionally when I'm actually exercising. I made this pattern using some of my scraps and still had yarn leftover to use in the ugly stripey socks.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I'm pretty sure I have to be Winter Pam from "Marvel Can't Lose" for Halloween this year. Now to figure out patterns for each of her pieces:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Valdara posted:

I also made a sweater that's supposed to be in chunky by holding scrap sock yarn double and using size 10 needles. Done in no time and looks absolutely insanely colorful and SQUISHY because of the two strands.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Of course she won't wear it.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I would!

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

That's awesome!

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Cheers! She hates it so much. But she's two and everything's a goddamn battle. Or at least a negotiation.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I have a circular needles question for the sock makers in this thread, forgive me if this has already been asked. I currently use Knitter's Pride Karbonz but they don't get smaller than 1.5 US so I'm debating on picking up some smaller needles. I was just curious if the Kollage Square Circular needles or HiyaHiya are worth the price, or if I'm just better off using double pointed for smaller gauges. Any other recommendations are also welcome. Thanks!

Links to the above mentioned needles below:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00E8PFH8S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?&_encoding=UTF8&colid=GL7KGN1SIO69&coliid=ILLPZ23PSZ0AA&psc=1

http://smile.amazon.com/HiyaHiya-Circular-9-inch-Knitting-HISTCIR9-2/dp/B005N41AP2/ref=pd_sim_201_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W79T1VVTCS4F8Y1ZR7Z

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I love my hiya hiyas and I would recommend them whole heartedly. They have a great feel and good cables, but do make sure you get a long enough cable.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

I love my hiya hiyas and I would recommend them whole heartedly. They have a great feel and good cables, but do make sure you get a long enough cable.

Ordered a few HiyaHiyas and I can't wait to try them out. Thanks for the recommendation!

turtleluvr
Apr 19, 2015

"mhhr mmmrr mhhh mhhm"

Not Today Satan posted:

I have a circular needles question for the sock makers in this thread, forgive me if this has already been asked. I currently use Knitter's Pride Karbonz but they don't get smaller than 1.5 US so I'm debating on picking up some smaller needles. I was just curious if the Kollage Square Circular needles or HiyaHiya are worth the price, or if I'm just better off using double pointed for smaller gauges. Any other recommendations are also welcome. Thanks!

Links to the above mentioned needles below:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00E8PFH8S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?&_encoding=UTF8&colid=GL7KGN1SIO69&coliid=ILLPZ23PSZ0AA&psc=1

http://smile.amazon.com/HiyaHiya-Circular-9-inch-Knitting-HISTCIR9-2/dp/B005N41AP2/ref=pd_sim_201_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W79T1VVTCS4F8Y1ZR7Z

These are both good choices. Some people really like the square needles, some don't. Also another option (a bit on the expensive side, but oh so worth it) are the dyakcraft heavy metals. They're the only sock size interchangeable on the market and I find them the most beautiful needles to knit with. The taper is smooth, unlike the other needles out there. I have the 3.5" in the couple of sizes that I like for socks (I don't think there's much of a need for the whole set as I adjust my stitch counts to the needle size I like to knit socks on). They are solid stainless steel, so no bending. Worth a look.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
So I finally got the scales for my friend's dice bag. I started doing a swatch of the yarn I want to use, but I can only get gauge on one side (lengthwise, not width). It's a little less wide than gauge. Should I use a different yarn?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Do you care if the bag is slightly narrower? Can you just cast on a couple more stitches (or one pattern repeat)?

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Socks actually go pretty fast once you get going. I also used stitch markers this time to avoid having to count and constantly having to tink down and fix having purled the wrong two stitches. I used my smallest stitch markers, and they're still too big. I got rid of one annoyance and replaced it with another, slightly lesser, annoyance. Is non-annoying knitting too much to ask?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Aerofallosov posted:

So I finally got the scales for my friend's dice bag. I started doing a swatch of the yarn I want to use, but I can only get gauge on one side (lengthwise, not width). It's a little less wide than gauge. Should I use a different yarn?

It's not a fitted piece so it won't really matter. I'd just go with it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Valdara posted:

Socks actually go pretty fast once you get going. I also used stitch markers this time to avoid having to count and constantly having to tink down and fix having purled the wrong two stitches. I used my smallest stitch markers, and they're still too big. I got rid of one annoyance and replaced it with another, slightly lesser, annoyance. Is non-annoying knitting too much to ask?

I just make tiny markers out of jewelry loops like you'd put a charm on. Those tend to be small enough they don't bother me too much

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

turtleluvr posted:

These are both good choices. Some people really like the square needles, some don't. Also another option (a bit on the expensive side, but oh so worth it) are the dyakcraft heavy metals. They're the only sock size interchangeable on the market and I find them the most beautiful needles to knit with. The taper is smooth, unlike the other needles out there. I have the 3.5" in the couple of sizes that I like for socks (I don't think there's much of a need for the whole set as I adjust my stitch counts to the needle size I like to knit socks on). They are solid stainless steel, so no bending. Worth a look.

Thank you for your feedback! I might look into the Dyakcraft Heavy Metals next paycheck. I really love interchangeable but finding them in sock sizes is difficult. Thanks again!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

:sparkles:

This is the first thing I've ever blocked, it's so much lighter and flowier than before!

Stitch Bitch
May 19, 2005

Bitch I got that
:h:~fuckin swag~:h:
Oooh that's very pretty! And that is a beautiful gradient - what yarn did you use?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Stitch Bitch posted:

Oooh that's very pretty! And that is a beautiful gradient - what yarn did you use?

Twisted Fiber Art's Arial Evolution in Paramour, with the black on the outside.

At $40 it's a bit overpriced if you ask me (given that I had to vinegar soak it to keep the black from getting everywhere), but it's mega soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Sex Hobbit posted:

:sparkles:

This is the first thing I've ever blocked, it's so much lighter and flowier than before!

Blocking is truly a magical experience.