Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

:ussr:

edit: to add some content:

sleepy gary posted:

I asked a few weeks ago about suspended Schengen borders.... welp, turns out that in some cases you absolutely need a passport. I was denied boarding for the Vienna-Bratislava boat with my Austrian ID with that biometric ID symbol on it. They were real pricks about it too. 30 euros down the drain and my family was upset to have to go to Bratislava without me, but they did fine on their own. (not blaming anyone who replied to me at all, please don't read it like that)

On the other hand, trains across Austria-Czechia and Austria-Hungary border required no ID whatsoever.

This is really, really weird. According to https://www.bmeia.gv.at/reise-aufenthalt/reiseinformation/land/slowakei/ any valid Austrian ID should be more than enough (I also checked the German Auswärtiges Amt, and they give out the same information). Is your ID going to expire in something like a week or some such?

According to this list, the Slovakian border shouldn't even be a problem: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/schengen/reintroduction-border-control/index_en.htm

The only borders that are mentioned in the Council recommendation are also the borders with Hungary & Slovenia, as per here: http://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-8835-2016-INIT/en/pdf

I know it's too late etc. but I would probably write either to the Slovakian Embassy in Austria or the Austrian Foreign Ministry to ask for clarification here (unless they told you are more specific reason at the border itself).

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

hahahahaa I'm such a moron

In defense of my terrible European geography skills this week I did have to explain to an English person that Slovakia and Slovenia are different countries.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You would think that the seafront in a tourist city would have lots of little cafeterias to have breakfast in, but you'd be incorrect in A Coruña. I reckon I should've stayed in the Ciudad Vieja instead. Oh well, it's still a pretty short walk and there are some great spots for lunch and dinner around here.

I steadfastly refuse to pay 12€ for breakfast in the hotel (down from 18€ if you arrange it in advance! Such generosity and consideration!). I'd rather starve.

EDIT: The Tower of Hercules and especially the surrounding park is absolutely amazing in every way, and should be almost a bucket-list type of destination. Also, when you go, even if it's not particularly warm out, you should wear sunscreen! Ask me how I know! Thank god I'm going home on Monday so I only have to spend the next two and a half days wandering around Spain looking like a complete moron.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 20, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My decision to fly KLM instead of Air Transat has been vindicated: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/tarantula-plane-air-transat-1.3590780

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

My decision to fly KLM instead of Air Transat has been vindicated: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/tarantula-plane-air-transat-1.3590780

Oh Jesus gently caress, short of jellyfish being somehow able to wander about the cabin and sting me that's pretty much my worst nightmare. Air Transat is a lovely garbage airline, to the nigh-unfathomable point that Air Canada is actually better than it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah being on a plane with a whole bunch of tarantulas would hands down be the most terrifying thing ever.

If I was the pilot I would probably legitimately demand an emergency landing at the nearest airport.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

Yeah being on a plane with a whole bunch of tarantulas would hands down be the most terrifying thing ever.

If I was the pilot I would probably legitimately demand an emergency landing at the nearest airport.

Yeah, but pilots have their terrorist-proof blast door to stay safe behind. Unless there are gaps tarantulas can crawl through!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If it turns out to be some jackass trying to smuggle live spiders in their luggage (as is currently hypothesized), I would support a public whipping for that person, if found. Both for smuggling live animals, and allowing loving tarantulas to get loose on an aircraft. gently caress me...

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I'm sure someone could come up with a more fitting, Dante-sequel punishment.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Saladman posted:

I'm sure someone could come up with a more fitting, Dante-sequel punishment.

"Sometime within the next 5 years, we will release 10 tarantulas into your bedroom in the middle of the night, and you'll never know when."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

Yeah, but pilots have their terrorist-proof blast door to stay safe behind. Unless there are gaps tarantulas can crawl through!

That's not a risk pilot-me would be willing to take.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So, my theory on Spain is that, as a tourist (or a local who wants to spend money on food and booze), there's always at least one magic street in every city, which will usually have on it, or in very close proximity: a lot of bars and restaurants, a tobacconist, and bank machines. These bars will usually be inexpensive and they will serve good food, because they're in a very competitive environment. I was having trouble understanding A Coruña because I hadn't found "that street" but I finally did tonight. For other's reference, it is Ruá Galera.

Now everything makes sense again and all is right with the world.

Edit: Further advice: the airport bus does not stop at Puerta Real as is stated on the airport website and the bus company's website. In fact, there is a news item from 2 years ago on the bus company's website which says the stop has moved to its current location: near Av. Xardíns de Méndez Núñez, 5. God only knows why a two year old change is so poorly documented (even Google Maps doesn't have it) but it would've thrown me for a loop had I not taken the bus from the airport in the first place.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 22, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's not uncommon for tarantulas to find their way on to cargo. If the luggage was stored near produce, it's not infeasible that in 70 years of jetliner travel, two tarantulas would find their way to the cargo hold of a passenger jet. Still I wouldn't want to be on that plane on my way to/from a honeymoon.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Really, I'd rather not be on that plane in general, regardless of destination.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Waci posted:

Really, I'd rather not be on that plane in general, regardless of destination.

Air Transat in general or a plane with spiders in general? Either one is a perfectly understandable answer, hence the ambiguity.

To be subjected to both is almost unthinkable.

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
My wife and I are flying into Paris early-July and taking the TGV to the riviera after Bastille day and flying out of Nice a week later. Our main riviera goals are visiting the various famous artists residences/museums and chilling on the beach. We are probably going to go the AirBnB route, but I can't decide which city (Nice, Cannes, Antibes, Monaco, one of the inbetweeners?) to stay in. Any advice?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

GirlBones posted:

My wife and I are flying into Paris early-July and taking the TGV to the riviera after Bastille day and flying out of Nice a week later. Our main riviera goals are visiting the various famous artists residences/museums and chilling on the beach. We are probably going to go the AirBnB route, but I can't decide which city (Nice, Cannes, Antibes, Monaco, one of the inbetweeners?) to stay in. Any advice?

Do you want to stay in one place, or two? With a full week (IMO) one place 3 days and the other 4 would be more fun, but it depends how you travel.

Around that area, Eze is an awesome daytrip... as long as you're fit; it's a long sweaty walk uphill from the train station. Monaco has a moderately cool old town, supposedly a great aquarium (I didn't go), and not much else. If you like looking at huge yachts and fast cars, it might be mildly more interesting, but coming from Zurich I was unimpressed by their displays of wealth.

I stayed in Cannes for 3 days in September last year and wasn't a huge fan. I don't even remember a single thing I did besides walk around the city and eat gelato (which was good). I like walking around old city centers, which I don't recall Cannes having at all.

Nice is fun but its beaches are garbage. I don't know why it's famous as a beach destination -- maybe people like sitting on huge uncomfortable pebbles for hours, and hurting their feet walking on hot stones? At least they're well-rounded and not jagged. The only kind of cool thing about the beach is that it's right at the airport, so you'll see big passenger jets go by all the time at low altitude. Nice has some cool museums, not sure what you're into. The old city is kind of OK but it's pretty small, which might be perfect for you.

In the countryside, the only thing we did was to go to Grasse which I found totally run-down and awful. It was actually kind of cool it was so run down and smelly, and like half of the old city was collapsing apartment buildings. I don't know why it has such a good reputation. I guess because of Perfume the novel/movie.

I guess I'd suggest maybe... 4 days in Nice and 3 days in Avignon? Make sure to do a day trip from Nice to Eze (you can cram Monaco in the same day most likely -- with a car it was easy, at least). From Avignon, 2 days is enough for the city but a day trip to Orange or Chateauneuf or Pont du Gard would be fun (Pont du Gard isn't really a full day trip, but I don't know how you'd get there without a car).

If you're renting a car, then the Luberon area is amazing too. I wouldn't try to do it by public transit though.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I'm heading to some hyper random places all over Europe in a month or so. I'm starting in Riga (Latvia), then Warsaw, then Amsterdam, then finally flying out of London.

I'm not sure how to split my time in Amsterdam and London. Is it feasible to not book my transport from Amsterdam from London until I'm actually THERE? IE, if I really like Amsterdam I'll have the flexibility to stay for a few more days than expected, and if I feel like I've seen all I want to see I can head to London earlier? It looks like I can fly or just take a train + boat trip - will these fill up way in advance or skyrocket in price if I wait until a day or two before?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Depends on how much you want to spend, but there are loads of budget flights between Amsterdam and London.

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet

Thank you so much for your advice. Did you spend any time in Antibes, Cagnes-sur-Mer, Villefranche, or Cap-Ferrat?

I think we won't travel too far from the coast, since the second half of our trip will be all about relaxing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm planning to go to England and Scotland in the Fall, with Ireland or France as a toss up. This is for about 2 weeks.

This is my first international flight, and my 3rd overall. Any tips on what kind of gear I should think about getting between now and then? Something a newb wouldn't necessarily think of? I'm good on luggage, though I think I will aim for carryon only.

Do those neck ring things really work? I'm 6'4 so anything to alleviate discomfort on a plane would be very welcome since I'm going to have a load of it by default.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Jeoh posted:

Depends on how much you want to spend, but there are loads of budget flights between Amsterdam and London.

Yes, there are about 75 flights a day between AMS and the 5 London Airports. You'll be able to find something relatively cheap last minute, it'll be fine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I want to get a sim card while I'm in The Netherlands and Belgium so I can excessively instagram and snapchat my trip. Recommendations?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Orange/T-Mobile but it's been a while

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I want to get a sim card while I'm in The Netherlands and Belgium so I can excessively instagram and snapchat my trip. Recommendations?

Getting an international travel plan with your current provider might be cheaper and more convenient. Else they have cheap prepaid SIMs at Albert Heijn with loads of data. Dunno about Belgium.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have Rogers best roaming plan available and it would cost $10/day up to 10 days billed, so I'd be paying $100 CAD for roaming. I'll definitely pick up a prepaid SIM when I'm there, word.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Waci posted:

Orange/T-Mobile but it's been a while

I can't recall what provider I used in Germany, but I've used Orange in Spain for 3 years and their rates are fantastic. 20€ got me 5GB of data with enough left over for a few calls and texts back to Canada. Rogers "roam like home" can go eat a dick, considering I don't even have that much data on my Canadian plan.

Unless by roam like home they mean you can enjoy the familiar Canadian feeling of getting hosed over by your provider even when traveling abroad.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 24, 2016

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Saladman posted:

I have an 8 hour layover in Warsaw towards the end of July, after a flight back from the US. We land at 9am and have our flight out at 5pm, and I see the Warsaw airport is in the center of town so we should have plenty of time to check it out.

Any suggestions on what we should do? We like self-guided walking tours, architecture, shopping districts that sell clothes/shoes/design nicknacks (and aren't filled with major international chains that we can find anywhere), and anything cultural where if you walk through all the rooms at a brisk pace you feel like you've experienced it. Lazienki Palace looks like it might be up our alley for that last point. Museums with stuff on the walls and in glass cases usually put us to sleep, and I think definitely will in this case after an overnight flight from Chicago.

The airport's not quite in the centre, but it's pretty well connected with the city and transit is cheap. I would walk around the Old Town which was painstakingly rebuilt after the entire city was literally flattened in WW2. Then I'd walk down Krakowskie Przedmiescie to Nowy Swiat, which is a pretty upscale and moderately touristy shopping street only partially infiltrated by the international brands. Turn right at Aleje Jerozolimskie for one big block to Marszalkowska to the giant plaza with the Palac Kultury. Turn left onto Marszalkowska (now heading south-ish) for a less touristy shopping street. Plenty of Warsaw-style shopping, including the social-realist MDM square. Turn left-ish anytime after MDM and head towards the Lazienki park. Wander around in there, one of my favourite parks anywhere. The palace inside isn't really that great, but just going around and discovering the little outbuildings, amphitheatres and fountains is neat. Keep your eye out for the resident peacocks. When you're ready to go back to the airport, catch the 188 bus from the NW corner of the park directly to the airport.

If it's really hot and you don't want to walk around sweating buckets, head directly to the park and hang out there. There are decent restaurants, ice cream, gondola rides, and lots and lots of leafy trees to just hang out under.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I'm hoping to rent a car in France at the end of the year, but I only have a provisional licence (Australian NSW red P plates). Is it possible to drive/rent a car overseas on a provisional licence ?

Edit: After a bit of googling (which I know I should've done before I posted my question, but I'm impatient. Sorry), I can see that I am able to get an IDP with a provisional licence.

But will I be able to rent a car with it ? I'm 25, if that makes a difference. (I know that on the car rental websites it says "minimum age 18" etc., but I've heard stories about people being denied because of age.)

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 25, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Landed in Rome yesterday.

One dude doing the entire (non-EU passport - drat you husband and your one passport!!) line. Just literally waved everyone through without even looking at passports. It was the most Italian thing I've ever witnessed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

Landed in Rome yesterday.

One dude doing the entire (non-EU passport - drat you husband and your one passport!!) line. Just literally waved everyone through without even looking at passports. It was the most Italian thing I've ever witnessed.

Couldn't that be a problem during passport control when leaving due to the lack of an entry stamp?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

Couldn't that be a problem during passport control when leaving due to the lack of an entry stamp?

You never get passport stamps in Schengen if you have a Schengen passport or residence card. US doesn't stamp citizens anymore either on entry (not sure about green card holders).

I have two entry stamps into France and no exits from EU because the French border control doesn't seem to know what they're doing, and iv e never had a problem.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Saladman posted:

You never get passport stamps in Schengen if you have a Schengen passport or residence card. US doesn't stamp citizens anymore either on entry (not sure about green card holders).

I have two entry stamps into France and no exits from EU because the French border control doesn't seem to know what they're doing, and iv e never had a problem.

If you're in a visa waiver country that's not a problem, but for people who need to get a visa before travelling to Schengen it is. At the very least a consular officer should ask you to explain why you don't have an exit stamp, but if there's a reasonable explanation they'll accept it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

EricBauman posted:

If you're in a visa waiver country that's not a problem, but for people who need to get a visa before travelling to Schengen it is. At the very least a consular officer should ask you to explain why you don't have an exit stamp, but if there's a reasonable explanation they'll accept it.

Yeah, although I'd guess that 99% of SA posters have visa waiver access to Europe on at least one of their passports.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I don't understand how anyone survives in Stockholm. The taxes are insane, the salaries very low, and the prices for everything super high. Everything costs the same as in Switzerland but at 1/2 the salary for equivalent work and 3x the taxes.

After talking to a few Swedes living here it sounds like everything right-wing Americans say about Sweden is like 90% accurate.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

What do right-wing Americans say about Sweden?

My friend in Switzerland pays almost my entire after-tax salary for her modest apartment, but she makes like 3x what I do in Austria for the same exact job.

Also: I've been stamped on Schengen entry even with my residence card, but it's rare and seemingly random. There is no consistency in this stuff which can be frustrating.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I probably would have stopped and asked for a stamp if I expected it to ever be a problem.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Hey goons what is fun to do in Den Haag? I am unexpectedly free/come drinking with me tomorrow. I can tell you boring facts about ICC! :shobon:

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
So I'm going to be in the UK with my brother for two and a half weeks before I head off to Thailand, and was wondering what are some must sees around our areas we're stopping at. Itinerary is as follows:

July 1st through 7th - We were both born in England, so the first week we'll be staying with our Uncle, seeing all the relatives. Going to be about about 30 minutes south of London. I'm assuming one or two of these days will be free to go see something nearby on our own.

8th and 9th - Taking a train to Shrewsbury (where we lived before we moved to the US), only spending a few hours there to see our old house and school before taking a train to Cardiff (city I'm looking to move to after my SEA trip). Spending a full day in Cardiff.

10th through 12th - Flying to Edinburgh from Cardiff, no plans whatsoever for the three days we're there, only a hotel booked as far as plans go.

13th - 16th - Flying to Paris. My brother really wanted to see it before he left. Up for a day trip outside of Paris as well.

My brother is flying back to the US on the 17th, and I'm flying out of Paris to Bangkok on the 21st, so I have five days of nothing planned. I know I want to get out of Paris and go to the south of France, somewhere near the sea, any recommendations? I'm looking for somewhere with cheap hostels, trying to save as much money I put away for traveling as possible to do an extended SEA trip. Or will a train ticket that far kind of negate the savings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Hey goons what is fun to do in Den Haag?

I'm kinda curious about this too, planning to check it out on my trip.