Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ratbert90 posted:

So the Evo3d is 50$ at bestbuy, and I am thinking about switching, from what I have seen the 3d is.... less than steller on it, but I do like the qhd screen and the speed of the phone.

Is it worth getting at that pricepoint?

The 3D isn't worth it, no apps/games actually use it, and what's worse is that it's hindering the update process for the Evo 3D. It may seem cool at first but the novelty wears off really fast and becomes another useless feature. Other than that, the reliability is okay, the battery is terrible (well, it's an android, so go figure) and it's probably not as laggy as some other androids (though still lags a bit). It's like a Nexus S but with a bigger screen, Sense UI, and no ICS yet. Also, the price has been marked down for obvious reasons: HTC is looking the shelf support for the HTC Evo 3d, so Sprint is looking to get rid of them. You might want to reconsider getting an android device that may not be getting support for too much longer, even if it is cheaper.

If you want my honest opinion, here it is: androids are the new windows mobile and you'd be better off getting an iphone. It has a better app selection, better user experience, better battery life, and longer OEM support for upgrades. Not to mention it's been shown that androids are terrible at retaining value, so when it comes to selling your android after your two year contract to help pay for a new phone, you might find a nasty surprise when it's close to useless. This varies with different models, and the Nexus models seem to hold up better with HTC phones following in second, but they still pale in comparison to how well wp7, blackberries, and iphones sell for used.

In the end, you'll spend more, but you'll be more satisfied purchasing an iphone then you would a cheap android. If that doesn't convince you to get an iphone, then well, get a Galaxy Nexus. As far as smartphones go, it seems the official google phone seems to do ok. Just don't get a cheap android, it will definitely suck for you.

By the way, this is coming from someone who has an Evo 3D, and who was a long supporter of android tablets/phones.

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Duckman2008 posted:

And to add to this, its a tricky subject but the specific policy that I have run into seems to be that it does void your contract, but you have 60 days to take advantage ans cash out. I had a dude get hosed by the unlimited data change on aircards (in terms of getting out early, not overages) because he didn't realize there was a time frame and when he called to cancel sprint refused to waive his fee since he got a notice more than 60 days ago.

So basically, if anyone does get pissed and want to leave for whatever reason, don't wait.

Yeah I put this off and just happened to call like three days before the cut-off. Fastest. Port-out. Ever.

Pice of Shit
Jun 11, 2003
I got mail....yay.
I've had my iPhone since November and life's been basically problem free. Since this morning I've had three "SIM failures" resulting in a loss of service.

The phone works again after a reboot but I'd like to go back to not rebooting on the regular.

Should I talk to sprint or apple about this?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

My Linux Rig posted:

By the way, this is coming from someone who has an Evo 3D, and who was a long supporter of android tablets/phones.

To be fair, the Evo 3D screams when one of the third party ICS roms is on it and I doubt the experience could be much better outside of official support. I'm using the joelz MIUI v4 port, though a better version is coming out later this week. The battery life is quite nice (for me anyways, battery life is very dependent on what the signals are like in the areas you're in for the most part, but I'm getting 15-18 hours per charge with the amount of usage I want out of it) .. that all being said, if I had any reason to say stay away from the Evo 3D, it's that the third party community for it is a disaster waiting to happen. It's full of drama and could fall apart at any moment. There's actually a kernel dev who got a letter from a lawyer saying that some random XDA poster was going to sue because the dev won't violate his NDA and release the source for parts of his kernel that were given to him by Qualcomm.

So while the third party community is giving life to my phone right now in the form of an ICS port, it's also one of the main driving factors towards me switching from the 3D to the Galaxy Nexus as soon as that gets released in the next couple of months, despite still having a year on my contract. Most of the big devs have moved on from it and it's not going to see much more love if the community for it keeps acting the way it is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Owning a (4th gen) ipod touch has thoroughly discouraged me from trying the iPhone. Battery barely lasts a day (on WiFi, maybe 3 hours actually doing anything) without charging, wicked input lag, and the UI, for me having owned Androids for a couple years prior, is unintuitive at best, obtuse and obstructionist at worst. I bought the drat thing less than a year ago and it's making me want to just import everything into Google music, make my 3D my music player and be done with it. I already have to keep the loving ipod plugged in to charge at work, I might as well swap it for my phone and have it all on one device.

That UI/single button control scheme is a goddamn travesty if you're used to Android. The rest of it is a wash, unless you can't live without instagram.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

PREYING MANTITS posted:

:words:
Keep in mind that the roms praying mantits brought up are extremely alpha builds right now, and numerous things do not work on them and may not work until HTC releases the drivers for the phone. I definitely would not advise anyone to buy an android phone based on what third party roms you can flash it with.

Also, community support has never been a real positive point for me. Yeah, it's nice there are hobbyists out there who want to work on my phone, but most of the time, community support is brought up because there is no oem support. And from what I've seen coming out of the community, it can't replace actual oem support.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Entire Universe posted:

Owning a (4th gen) ipod touch has thoroughly discouraged me from trying the iPhone. Battery barely lasts a day (on WiFi, maybe 3 hours actually doing anything) without charging, wicked input lag, and the UI, for me having owned Androids for a couple years prior, is unintuitive at best, obtuse and obstructionist at worst. I bought the drat thing less than a year ago and it's making me want to just import everything into Google music, make my 3D my music player and be done with it. I already have to keep the loving ipod plugged in to charge at work, I might as well swap it for my phone and have it all on one device.

That UI/single button control scheme is a goddamn travesty if you're used to Android. The rest of it is a wash, unless you can't live without instagram.

If you're used to listening to music on an iPod, the super lovely DAC in the Evo 3D will make you angry.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

My Linux Rig posted:

Keep in mind that the roms praying mantits brought up are extremely alpha builds right now, and numerous things do not work on them and may not work until HTC releases the drivers for the phone. I definitely would not advise anyone to buy an android phone based on what third party roms you can flash it with.

Also, community support has never been a real positive point for me. Yeah, it's nice there are hobbyists out there who want to work on my phone, but most of the time, community support is brought up because there is no oem support. And from what I've seen coming out of the community, it can't replace actual oem support.

I currently have a evo 3D running and a nexus s.

I do wish like hell they didn't bother with the 3D, since its a gimmick, its retarded and no one cares for it. Otherwise, the 3D is great hardware wise, noticeably faster (by a lot) than the nexus both stock and custom ROM. I don't know what you do to your battery, but the 3D gets me through the day fine (only exception: ice cream sandwich roms). So we come down to the real problem which is software updates, and my response is what has been said a million times in the past month: if you want an android phone on sprint and want updates, buy a used nexus s or evo 3D and save your contract upgrade for the galaxy nexus.

And on another note, I think you said you were waiting for the 5, but considering how miserable you seem to be on Android, you should still just buy out your contract, sell your 3D and get an iPhone 4S.

Edit: and if I remember right ratbert you currently have a blackberry style? Because if so, dear god do whatever you have to to get out of that poo poo phone.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 6, 2012

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ratbert90 posted:

So the Evo3d is 50$ at bestbuy, and I am thinking about switching, from what I have seen the 3d is.... less than steller on it, but I do like the qhd screen and the speed of the phone.

Is it worth getting at that pricepoint? It seems like HTC said it would update the 3d to ICS, so I'm not worried about that.

The EVO3D is a solid phone. The only bad marks I ever saw it get in reviews was that the 3D camera and display are gimmicks and not every one liked them. That is a stupid complaint because you don't have to use the 3d feature at all, and if you choice not to use it, you would never know it was there as side from the second camera lense on the back.

It is supposed to get an update to ICS some time in like the next 3 months or so.

The Galaxy Nexus is probably going to be out before the end of next month. I would personally wait for it unless you have to have a phone today.

Turnquiet posted:

It is a good phone, though the Sense is the sensiest ever with swooshing home screens and the like. I trust once 4.0 lands it will be better still.

I wouldn't hold out that the phone will work or act much different with ICS on it because it is probably going to have Sense 3.6 on it like on the Sensation. The UI looks more or less the same as it did on Gingerbread. Complete with all of the ridiculously long weather animations and transitions.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Duckman2008 posted:

And on another note, I think you said you were waiting for the 5, but considering how miserable you seem to be on Android, you should still just buy out your contract, sell your 3D and get an iPhone 4S.

Nah, I'm probably going to stick it out the rest of the 2 years cause it's not that bad, and I'd rather not plop down more money getting a new phone right now, especially if it includes having to pay extra to end the contract prematurely.

I just wouldn't recommend getting it as a new phone today as there are better phones out there now.

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 6, 2012

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit: and if I remember right ratbert you currently have a blackberry style? Because if so, dear god do whatever you have to to get out of that poo poo phone.

Actually I have an arrive right now, and while I like it a lot, my boys phone is a incognito and I am looking to get him away from it for several reasons. I have a zuneHD for music so I'm not worried about the DAC on the 3D either.

The arrive has been great to me but dear lord microsoft needs to manage the wp7 brand better, it feels like its being managed WORSE than webos was at the beginning and that's saying quite a bit.

Edit* I mean I want to give the arrive to the boy, not to give the 3d to him.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
I'm going to buy an iPhone for my wife off of craigslist and I wanted to know if I could have it activated at the store for her (to check esn) or do I need to go to the Apple store? It's an iPhone 4 so that's why I'm wondering, thank you.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

thisdude23 posted:

I'm going to buy an iPhone for my wife off of craigslist and I wanted to know if I could have it activated at the store for her (to check esn) or do I need to go to the Apple store? It's an iPhone 4 so that's why I'm wondering, thank you.

You could activate it at the Sprint store or even on the phone.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

You could activate it at the Sprint store or even on the phone.

How do I check the esn though on it? I want to make sure it's clean before I purchase it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

thisdude23 posted:

How do I check the esn though on it? I want to make sure it's clean before I purchase it.

Meet the Craigslist seller at a Sprint store. They can check the ESN right there.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

thisdude23 posted:

Settings > About Phone (or whatever the iOS 5 version is).

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Killer Queen posted:

Meet the Craigslist seller at a Sprint store. They can check the ESN right there.

They gave me the MEID and serial number already though. That's why I was asking. I probably should have put all of that from the beginning. Can I just call Sprint with this information?

I'm used to dealing with Android phones so this is a new one for me. :p

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Has anyone had any issues using the prepaid phone rebate cards they've gotten?

I got a $50 American Express "prepaid reward" card from Sprint as part of a rebate for my phone. After I activated it, tried to use it at Target, and they wouldn't accept it. They wanted me to take it to a bank to get the value off of it somehow. My trip to Wells Fargo was just as fruitless. The manager there pointed out that on the back, the card clearly says I can't just take a cash advance off of it. They wanted me to take it to some store, and treat it like one of those $50 prepaid Visa gift card. One of the two managers I spoke with is clearly full of poo poo. How do I get my $50 off of this thing?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

thisdude23 posted:

They gave me the MEID and serial number already though. That's why I was asking. I probably should have put all of that from the beginning. Can I just call Sprint with this information?

I'm used to dealing with Android phones so this is a new one for me. :p

Yea, the MEID number is what they'll use to activate it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blakkout posted:

I got a $50 American Express "prepaid reward" card from Sprint as part of a rebate for my phone. After I activated it, tried to use it at Target, and they wouldn't accept it. They wanted me to take it to a bank to get the value off of it somehow. My trip to Wells Fargo was just as fruitless. The manager there pointed out that on the back, the card clearly says I can't just take a cash advance off of it. They wanted me to take it to some store, and treat it like one of those $50 prepaid Visa gift card. One of the two managers I spoke with is clearly full of poo poo. How do I get my $50 off of this thing?

Try another store that takes AmEx?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The pain with prepaid gift cards is that when you try to buy something worth more than the card has on it, the transaction gets declined. It's not like a store gift card where it says "you asked for $50 but I only have $20 so get the rest", it just says "Welp, don't have $50 so you get declined."

destroya
May 23, 2006
I'm the coolest.
Are there any decent phones coming out that have a sliding keyboard? I typo like an idiot when I type on a screen I like the feel of a physical keyboard.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

IOwnCalculus posted:

The pain with prepaid gift cards is that when you try to buy something worth more than the card has on it, the transaction gets declined. It's not like a store gift card where it says "you asked for $50 but I only have $20 so get the rest", it just says "Welp, don't have $50 so you get declined."

The store should be able to ring you up if you tell them to put $50 on one card and the rest on another. In Target its even an option while paying that you annoyingly have to dismiss everytime. No, Target, I don't want to put this pack of gum on two different cards!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

destroya posted:

Are there any decent phones coming out that have a sliding keyboard?
None that have been announced. But used Epics go for less than $100 if you shop around and it has a pretty darn solid CM9 port.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

The store should be able to ring you up if you tell them to put $50 on one card and the rest on another. In Target its even an option while paying that you annoyingly have to dismiss everytime. No, Target, I don't want to put this pack of gum on two different cards!

Yeah that's what you'd need to do. Strangely I don't get that prompt at any Target I go to.

Captain Riggs
Nov 15, 2003

I'll draw his fire and you run for cover!

Blakkout posted:

I don't know if your card is the same but I got an AMEX card as a rebate for a graphics card once and I read through the fine print that came with it and it said that at any time you can call them and request a check for the balance. So as soon as I got the card I called them and requested a check. It took a few weeks but eventually I got the check in the mail and deposited it just fine.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, this. If you're buying something more than $50, tell them beforehand there's only $50 on the card. If they try to use more, it won't work. They have to specify before they try to process the card. Every register should support that, you just need a cashier who knows how to split a payment.

And don't try it in an automatic gas pump, it can leave the card unusable until the hold clears.

It's the same with any prepaid debit card, not just these.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, Sprint is dropping Lightsquared on March 15th.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/7/2851637/sprint-lightsquared-agreement-end-mid-march

How would this effect the LTE rollout?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

How would this effect the LTE rollout?
In the short-term it doesn't. Sprint's rolling out their initial LTE service in their own spectrum at 1900. In the long-term, who knows, but I can't imagine that any Sprint engineers honestly believed the L^2 debacle was ever going to fly.

Frankly, it makes me wonder why on earth Sprint ever signed anything them in the first place. Except as a way to hedge someone else (T-Mo?) from getting access to crazy-cheap spectrum if the drat thing had actually gone through.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I remember hearing about Clear (lol) doing LTE tests as early as a year ago. As I recall, Phoenix was a test market. Is Sprint still in bed with Clear? If so, maybe Phoenix will actually see some sort of Sprint 4g (loving finally)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

In the short-term it doesn't. Sprint's rolling out their initial LTE service in their own spectrum at 1900. In the long-term, who knows, but I can't imagine that any Sprint engineers honestly believed the L^2 debacle was ever going to fly.

Frankly, it makes me wonder why on earth Sprint ever signed anything them in the first place. Except as a way to hedge someone else (T-Mo?) from getting access to crazy-cheap spectrum if the drat thing had actually gone through.

Well, finance wise I would imagine holding onto $65 million for even 1-2 months can get you some interest. And either way probably exactly what you said, hedging bets.

Turnquiet posted:

I remember hearing about Clear (lol) doing LTE tests as early as a year ago. As I recall, Phoenix was a test market. Is Sprint still in bed with Clear? If so, maybe Phoenix will actually see some sort of Sprint 4g (loving finally)?

Sprint LTE will be going off of 1900MHz initially and very possibly off of Clear towers as well. Honestly, its kind of unknown how much is involved, but since Sprint has put some investments in Clear (and Sprint's current round of funding mentions possible further investment in Clear), its likely Sprint and Clear will still work together. Whether this is good or bad is very debatable, overall I would say the more spectrum the better, and Clear owns a shitton of it. And I would hope building penetration problems get offset if you have some LTE on a lower spectrum, some on a higher spectrum.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 7, 2012

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So my brother's phone died, some dumbphone and he wants to get an Evo 4g used on Craigslist. Kinda confused how much the data plan is going to be. Is it $35 a month? Plus $10 for 4g or something?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

E2M2 posted:

So my brother's phone died, some dumbphone and he wants to get an Evo 4g used on Craigslist. Kinda confused how much the data plan is going to be. Is it $35 a month? Plus $10 for 4g or something?

An Everything Data plan for one person starts at $69.99/month, plus $10 for smartphones, plus another $10 for Premium Data phones (all 4G phones and the iPhones). Is he on a family plan? If so, how many lines are on it?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

An Everything Data plan for one person starts at $69.99/month, plus $10 for smartphones, plus another $10 for Premium Data phones (all 4G phones and the iPhones). Is he on a family plan? If so, how many lines are on it?

Yes, family plan, with I believe 3 or 4 other phones.

edit: Also does he have the option of just using the phone without the data plan?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Well holy poo poo, toast finally came out of his hole and it wasn't to tell us we have six more weeks of winter.

http://www.techerrata.com/file/teamwin/cm_shooter-ota-eng.toastcfh.zip

There's a 90% functionally complete CM9 build for the Evo3D with full hw acceleration (including all the bells and whistles in Chrome and working Netflix) and no kernel wakelocks.

Camera is hosed up, but it actually opens and displays a picture (although actually hitting capture causes a force close). According to IRC, he plans on getting camera fully working in the next few days and then start rolling out dailies.

Running it right now, and it's miles ahead of any previous ics build floating around on xda. Super excited for the next few weeks because goddamn my phone loving screams right now.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Leathal posted:

Awesome Evo3D news.
Is there any other info on this build posted somewhere or is this purely a build for IRC regs?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

E2M2 posted:

Yes, family plan, with I believe 3 or 4 other phones.

edit: Also does he have the option of just using the phone without the data plan?

Duckman2008 or someone else understands the family plans better than I do, I'll leave it to them to lay out the costs in that scenario.

And no, pretty sure that phone won't be activated on a non-data plan.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

FlyingCheese posted:

Is there any other info on this build posted somewhere or is this purely a build for IRC regs?

The latter, sorry. :( Be sure to hit up goo-inside.me for the latest gapps if you flash that build btw.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Leathal posted:

Well holy poo poo, toast finally came out of his hole and it wasn't to tell us we have six more weeks of winter.

There's a 90% functionally complete CM9 build for the Evo3D with full hw acceleration (including all the bells and whistles in Chrome and working Netflix) and no kernel wakelocks.

Camera is hosed up, but it actually opens and displays a picture (although actually hitting capture causes a force close). According to IRC, he plans on getting camera fully working in the next few days and then start rolling out dailies.

Running it right now, and it's miles ahead of any previous ics build floating around on xda. Super excited for the next few weeks because goddamn my phone loving screams right now.

Well that's impressive, almost makes me sad I sold the Evo 3D. I'm still extremely satisfied with CM9 on the Nexus S though, and the DAC on it is so much better it's stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Leathal posted:

90% functioning means what, exactly? Last time I checked, the stuff not working was:
  • Camera
  • SD mount to PC
  • 4G
  • In call mute

So what's not working in this version? I'd like to know cause restoring to the original OEM software is a pretty painful process.