Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

If RoTT turns out well id should just give them Doom 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
This might just be what we've waiting for. The prophecy is being fulfilled.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

misterdoo01 posted:

That right there looks like a great example of what a "modern retro" FPS game should look like. Lots of speed, fun to use weapons with satisfying animations, gnarly gore, :supaburn:EXPLOSIONS:supaburn:, and :krad: music.

Exactly. Every other attempt at this seems to have missed something vital, but everything about these videos is hitting the right notes for me.

I chuckled at the "I have no idea why we put a knife in this game" part. That's the only thing I raised my eyebrow at, but it looked like it might not be terrible.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Seeing as we're on the subject of modern 'old school' FPS, has anyone given Shootmania the run around yet? It looks suitably fast paced and shooty. The ease of use with the level editor can only be a plus too.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Geight posted:

:raise: I guess I'm missing the joke or something.

I always thought Painkiller was just okay. It doesn't do anything particularly well but it manages to be consistently challenging throughout. I think it's cool that the hardest difficulty gives you a different, albeit "fake" ending.

Painkiller: Black is essentially the perfect action FPS. Cool guns, tons of cool enemies, a mess of cool places to introduce cool enemies to cool guns, and some cool poo poo to find in the vein of classic ridiculous secrets. If someone ever says "they don't make games like Doom/Quake/whatever anymore" and they haven't played Painkiller, I smack 'em upside the head if they're within reach.

Also, why does no one understand the endings? In the normal game you kill Satan, which is what Alastor (the second-to-last boss) wanted so he can take over Hell. On the hardest difficulty, you stop at Alastor, killing him for real and maintaining the status quo in Hell, which is what the angels wanted so they let you live Happily Ever After. It's Bad Ending/Good Ending.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Zombie Samurai posted:

Painkiller: Black is essentially the perfect action FPS. Cool guns, tons of cool enemies, a mess of cool places to introduce cool enemies to cool guns, and some cool poo poo to find in the vein of classic ridiculous secrets. If someone ever says "they don't make games like Doom/Quake/whatever anymore" and they haven't played Painkiller, I smack 'em upside the head if they're within reach.

Really? It's more like a more cramped Serious Sam than anything Doom/Quake. Also sitting around for souls is possibly the worst mechanic you have in a game like that.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Some dumb idiot posted:

Really? It's more like a more cramped Serious Sam than anything Doom/Quake. Also sitting around for souls is possibly the worst mechanic you have in a game like that.

I would argue that Serious Sam is like a less cramped Doom. Doom challenges you by either ambushing you with monsters or throwing a fuckton at you, usually in close quarters. Serious Sam took the same idea, and exchanged close quarters (for the most part, there are still tight fights in TFE and TSE especially early on) for an even bigger fuckton of guys.

To me, classic FPSes are about killing tons of freaky-rear end monsters in hectic, messy firefights. With that in mind, Serious Sam and Painkiller seem like the natural successors of Doom and Quake, with Painkiller in particular carrying on the style and horror overtones.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

I would argue that Serious Sam is like a less cramped Doom.

That would be to fundamentally misunderstand Doom's combat. In Doom, every single enemy is slower than you, and almost every enemy fires bright, easily evaded solid projectiles. Your most powerful weapons are best applied up-close, so it becomes a game about maneuvering between enemies as quickly as possible and picking off specific targets. The better you get, the even more this becomes true; the Spider Mastermind can be one-shot with the BFG, and the cyberdemon is safest when you're within super-shotgun range and controlling its movements.

Serious Sam has a multitude of enemies that are faster than you, and some the biggest, beefiest ones have near-perfect-accuracy hitscan weaponry. Your goal in a fight suddenly becomes to backpedal from the swarm as fast as possible (giving you more time to shoot) while either putting cover between you and sniper-type enemies, while trying to return fire with similar hitscan weaponry.

Doom, Heretic & Hexen all share very similar gameplay, focusing around evasion and close-quarters combat. Even in more open maps, you're best off closing the range and using other enemies as cover. Serious Sam, while enjoyable, is much more about using those wide open spaces in order to give yourself some breathing room, rather than really revealing options.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Painkiller also had bunnyhopping, making you travel super fast on demand (only on big-rear end arenas but hey). Serious Sam (TFE and TSE) is great fun too. They're games from the 21st century with lots of old school gameplay. ROTT remake is also doing this and is looking really great on every aspect and as tooooooo bad said, if they keep the good work, they should do Doom 4 and Quake 5 afterwards :v:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Just gave Enjay Zdoom 2001 a shot after it got mentioned earlier in this thread. The first episode is rather fun, if terribly outdated, but gently caress everything from the second episode.

6 mancubi at the same time, in a cramped, square room? Of course. 20 cacodemons in an even smaller room? Why the hell not! And, best of all: how do you feel about AN ENTIRE CORRIDOR LINED WITH TENS AND TENS OF GUNNERS, WITH HITSCAN WEAPONS? gently caress you, Enjay, gently caress you.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The Rise of the Triad remake will be perfect if the last two episodes don't have atrocious level design, like the original did. The original had a good formula, they just hosed themselves over with the last two episodes (mostly the last one, but episode 3 was bad in the second half).

Iceman2343
May 7, 2007

I'll take the Job.

closeted republican posted:

The Rise of the Triad remake will be perfect if the last two episodes don't have atrocious level design, like the original did. The original had a good formula, they just hosed themselves over with the last two episodes (mostly the last one, but episode 3 was bad in the second half).

Yeah, the last half of the third episode and fourth episode were pretty hard and annoying. This game being only twenty levels (or so) levels should help with that I think.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So thanks to a certain GOTH FASCISTIC PAIN MASTER I saw that SHOGO is currently three bucks for the next few hours. I never played it back in the day so I thought I'd give it a spin but then I also saw Kingpin is also have off but for five bucks? I never played it but I don't remember Kingpin getting stellar reviews even when it was new. What's it like?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've played both and I'd pick Shogo over Kingpin, hands-down. Kingpin reminded me a lot of Gore which, if you've never played Gore, is a pretty big insult. Shogo is campy as hell but at least it's extremely fun.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, Kingpin is decently fun in the first part of the game (which was incidentally also the demo) and then it takes a sharp turn into Bullshit City from there. Hitscan enemies with psychic aiming abilities, really stupid "let's throw three guys with rocket launches in a tight hallway" type traps, blurry browny brown brown textures with extra brown on top and endless key hunting.

I bought it the last time Steam had it on sale, for nostalgia's sake. I wish I could get a refund.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DoombatINC posted:

I've played both and I'd pick Shogo over Kingpin, hands-down. Kingpin reminded me a lot of Gore which, if you've never played Gore, is a pretty big insult. Shogo is campy as hell but at least it's extremely fun.

Oh man loving Gore. I remember seeing ads for that game in magazines but I never played it. Looking at gameplay videos really doesn't make me want to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W3bBuMTLRI

It looks like a lovely version of SiN with bootleg Unreal Tournament multiplayer.

e: and neither Steam nor GoG have any of the Soldier of Fortunes. whaaaaat

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

It's easy to simulate the Gore experience, just imagine playing the most amateurish Quake 2 single player mod you've ever played, then imagine paying sixty dollars for it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

DoombatINC posted:

It's easy to simulate the Gore experience, just imagine playing the most amateurish Quake 2 single player mod you've ever played, then imagine paying sixty dollars for it.

To be fair, it's free now. I should probably get it at some point but... eh...

Edit: I am so sad that SiN isn't on Steam any more.

catlord fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 15, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
SiN owned hard.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Should have been an OG Steamer and bought Episodes like me. :smugwizard:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yodzilla posted:

Should have been an OG Steamer and bought Episodes like me. :smugwizard:

Pretty sure I did, at least I do have SiN Episodes: Emergence. I'm still annoyed that SiN itself got removed from Steam recently though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Weird I thought SiN was bundled with all copies of Episodes. I can still download my version through Steam at least which is good.

Also SHOGO is some hilarious weeaboo poo poo and I love it already.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
SHOGO is bullshit hard in single player and is on a really janky engine, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the mechanics and it's pretty unique. I'd be down for some multiplayer sometime.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

WickedIcon posted:

SHOGO is bullshit hard in single player and is on a really janky engine, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the mechanics and it's pretty unique.

I'd argue against 'nothing inherently wrong with the mechanics'. If I remember right, the critical hit system was grade A bullshit. Whether a burst of rifle fire is nearly-useless or an almighty wave of gibbing seemed almost entirely arbitrary. Doesn't help that you're pretty much reliant on critical hits to heal you (!?), among other things.

The mechs gameplay is literally identical to the on-foot stuff, too, just with noisier guns.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Noisier, awesomer guns :colbert:

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Thanks to you guys talking about SiN I went to tinker around again and I... I think I just modded a widescreen patch for the original SiN's Steam version. :stare: Look at that 1920x1080... - I had it running on 1.11 retail first, btw, so it works there too.

It's jaggied, and for some reason it "sweeps" a fuckton sometimes when you move (with the game's icon flashing in the top left), but hey - considering how anywhere I looked there apparently wasn't one at all, I'm pretty happy so far.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 16, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sweeps? Like screen tearing?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
No, the screen is fine - it's as if the game is running on a local server and that server is lagging its rear end off for some reason. It also goes away after a while if you stand still, but at times it gets really bad. :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tecman posted:

Thanks to you guys talking about SiN I went to tinker around again and I... I think I just modded a widescreen patch for the original SiN's Steam version. :stare: Look at that 1920x1080... - I had it running on 1.11 retail first, btw, so it works there too.

It's jaggied, and for some reason it "sweeps" a fuckton sometimes when you move (with the game's icon flashing in the top left), but hey - considering how anywhere I looked there apparently wasn't one at all, I'm pretty happy so far.

Well poo poo dude, hook us up with that patch! I'd love to finally have it in widescreen.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
While we're on the subject of SiN: You may be aware that the Steam version has a bunch of edited textures. (If you weren't, this site shows what was changed.) Well, I got my hands on the original disk version of the game and, using that site as a guide, made an un-censor pack. A couple of the bulletin board textures only had typos fixed, so I didn't replace those. Everything edited for content is restored, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It took me a while to figure out the difference between the character skins. :downs:

Also loving :aslol: censoring the Romero callout and changing "Where's the Beef?" to just "Beef?"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Does SiN still have the horrific vertex swimming issues? I tried to play it years back and it made me want to blow chunks.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

DoombatINC posted:

Noisier, awesomer guns :colbert:

Oh! Shogo! I remember playing this and ONI around about the same time so alot of that is blurred together.

Do remember the mech's tho. And fighting them. And fighting them in a certain way later. :stonk: Loved that fight.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
So I checked out Painkiller on Steam and there seems to be 4 million versions (about 5). Are there any must have / must avoids, or is it safe to get the whole shebang on sale?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tecman posted:

Playing old games in huge fuckoff resolution with massive AA and AF is so awesome.

I'm currently playing my way through the original CoD at 1920x1200, 16xAF, 32xAA, every setting completely maxed in-game and in the nVidia control panel, runs smooth as glass. It's glorious.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I actually like Kingpin, but I do play it on Easy just because of the ridiculous gameplay. For it's time it was really atmospheric and probably one of the first games to aim for a more realistic art-style. It does look ridiculous now but it I rememberer playing it not long after it was released and being blown away by the graphics.

SiN though is one of my favourite games - If you can try and grab the expansion pack Wages of Sin as well, it's just as good if not better than the base game. It was also made by 2015, who went on to make Medal of Honour Allied assault.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

maev posted:

So I checked out Painkiller on Steam and there seems to be 4 million versions (about 5). Are there any must have / must avoids, or is it safe to get the whole shebang on sale?

What you'll want is the Black Edition, since it comes with the original game and Battle out of Hell, the only good expansion. The other expansions are hilarious crap, and the recent rerelease cuts out some of the best levels. Black gives you the most bang for your buck.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Zombie Samurai posted:

Also, why does no one understand the endings? In the normal game you kill Satan, which is what Alastor (the second-to-last boss) wanted so he can take over Hell. On the hardest difficulty, you stop at Alastor, killing him for real and maintaining the status quo in Hell, which is what the angels wanted so they let you live Happily Ever After. It's Bad Ending/Good Ending.

I understood the endings, it's just that the Good one just doesn't... count, cause of the expansion and stuff. I think it was cool to have the happy ending be the non-canon one.

Also I love Doom and Quake and Painkiller just doesn't begin to compare! It's fun in its own way, but there's not nearly as much enemy variety in terms of what they actually do, and the weapons never really felt that satisfying to use for me outside of the stake gun.

e: Also is every weapon in the new RoTT an explosive? I haven't played the original but it looked like everything exploded in that deathmatch video. Not that I'd be complaining about that, mind!

Geight fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 16, 2013

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Geight posted:

e: Also is every weapon in the new RoTT an explosive? I haven't played the original but it looked like everything exploded in that deathmatch video. Not that I'd be complaining about that, mind!

In the original RoTT, most of the weapons are explosives. The only non explosive weapons are the pistols and submachine gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Good news! I've fixed the "lag" issue by reducing the max FPS count, since apparently SiN runs on a client/server combo and having a fast computer capable of actually rendering 1k frames per second absolutely destroys the server part of things, so limiting it to 100 or 200 makes the problem go away! :D

Now to figure out how to distribute this / get a test subject or two... The reason for that is that my first "fix" did set the game to 1080p, but the aspect ratio was still 4:3. Then I figured out how to do it another way and it instead just cuts off a bit off top and bottom, but the game randomly picked the hosed aspect ratio or the cutaway method. So I re-applied just one of the fixes and so far so good, but like I said, I'd much rather have it tested by someone first and make sure the fix "sticks" before I try to figure out how to make something that applies the changes without writing a tutorial on how to hexedit the executable. :v: