Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Xander77 posted:

The breadmaking machine I used to mix my dough stopped mixing for... whatever reason. Age and pure embarrassment, probably.

Got a mixer with a couple of dough hooks:
https://hamiltonbeach.com/dough-hooks-62630r-990143000

And the dough just climbed up the hooks and onto the mixer like a strangling vine. Would a more hook-like mixing hook help? Is it a matter of dough consistency? Just a fact of life?

Are those for a hand-held mixer? If so, they don't work for 99% of bread doughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nevermind

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Ishamael posted:

Good crumb on the bread today:

That's gorgeous and the exact kind of crumb I'd like to achieve, what's your recipe/ technique?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Dacap posted:

That's gorgeous and the exact kind of crumb I'd like to achieve, what's your recipe/ technique?

Thanks so much! I’ve been keeping notes and tweaking the recipe for 3+ years now, I can reliably get good results but occasionally the crumb looks extra nice.

Here is the current winter recipe (I use more water in winter bc it’s drier in the house):

Levain:

75g starter
60g AP flour
60g whole wheat flour
120g water

Let the levain rise for 9 hours

Dough:

748g bread flour
110 whole wheat flour
49g spelt flour
656g water
16g kosher salt
184g levain

Autolyse 1 hour
Add in starter, mix. Add salt, mix.
Slap and fold 5-6 times to incorporate
Place in covered bowl
Fold bread every 30 minutes, 3 times total
Proof another 7 hours on counter
Shape, place in banneton, put in plastic bag
Cold proof in fridge 16 hours

Score
Bake in Dutch oven, covered, at 475F for 20 min
Uncover, reduce heat to 425F, bake for 30 min

I hope it’s helpful!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ishamael posted:

75g starter
What's that?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Xander77 posted:

What's that?

It''s a culture of wild yeast cultivated by (basically) mixing flour and water. There's yeast already on the flour, it just needs a wet environment to thrive. There's lots of in depth guides to starting one but I made mine with just flour and water and patience. But the yeast in the starter is pretty sluggish, it doesn't havea lot of food and tends to be kept in the cold. So to make some sourdough, you take a little of this starter and introduce it to a whole lot more wet flour so it gets used to the idea that food is plentiful and it should reproduce. Then after a night of that it's active enough to use in baking.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

effika posted:

Are those for a hand-held mixer? If so, they don't work for 99% of bread doughs.
So... a different hook would work, or a non hand-held mixer would work?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Xander77 posted:

So... a different hook would work, or a non hand-held mixer would work?

Non-hand-held. You need a stand mixer or your actual hands.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Xander77 posted:

What's that?

If you want to get a sourdough starter going, here is a good straight-forward guide. It seems like a lot of info but once you get the basics figured out its pretty simple.

Getting a sourdough starter established:

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/7-easy-steps-making-incredible-sourdough-starter-scratch/

Basically once it is established then you feed it - you just take a section of your starter, add some flour and water, and it is good for a week. Its your own wild yeast colony that makes really good bread.

It took me three tries to get my starter going strong, but now its a beast that has lasted since May 2019 with no issues.

Here he is:

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 16, 2022

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
Speaking of starter chat, I neglected my starter in the fridge for 4ish months. There's plenty of hooch but I poured that off and didn't notice any weird colors and it smells fine, maybe a little sweet. I grabbed a bit out of the middle/bottom and fed it this morning. Is it worth trying to revive or should I just suck it up and start over? How likely am I to gently caress up me/others if I get it going again and bake bread with it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If it doesn't smell weird or look weird, you should be good. But maybe eat the first loaf from it yourself, rather than gifting it to children or a pregnant woman.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
It’ll either make the dough rise or it won’t. If it doesn’t rise I wouldn’t try to bake the bread at that point. You could try to revive it over a few days or just start fresh. I just got a starter going after I did something similar to my previous starter. I’m on day 5 and it looks like it is ready to go. I’ll be putting together some dough this afternoon with it.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
Appreciate it! My plan was to feed every 12 hours or so for a few days to try and get it back into good baking shape. I'll post results if I'm able to get it going again!

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Braggo posted:

Appreciate it! My plan was to feed every 12 hours or so for a few days to try and get it back into good baking shape. I'll post results if I'm able to get it going again!

I just brought my starter back from the dead after more than a year in the back of the fridge. What you're doing is exactly what it took mine to come back. Took me three days of feeding twice a day to get it doubling or more every feeding.

I just baked this small pullman loaf with my sourdough starter today. There's 2 grams of instant yeast in there to speed things up a little.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Chonky little dude. Like a bread loaf in Minecraft.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

beerinator posted:

I just brought my starter back from the dead after more than a year in the back of the fridge. What you're doing is exactly what it took mine to come back. Took me three days of feeding twice a day to get it doubling or more every feeding.

I just baked this small pullman loaf with my sourdough starter today. There's 2 grams of instant yeast in there to speed things up a little.

Oooh, that looks awesome. You have a recipe? Part of the reason I neglected my starter was because I was making Shokupan a few times a week for sandwiches for the family in a pullman pan.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Braggo posted:

Oooh, that looks awesome. You have a recipe? Part of the reason I neglected my starter was because I was making Shokupan a few times a week for sandwiches for the family in a pullman pan.

Here's the recipe I've been working on off and on for the past few weeks. I wrote the directions for a 4x8-inch loaf pan AND/OR a 4x9 inch pullman pan. So it's the small pullman. I like it best in the pullman pan, but in writing this type of recipe I find most people don't have one of those.

https://boundedbybuns.com/recipes/r/sourdough-sandwich-loaf

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I'm always wondering if I'm doing something wrong with my starter when I hear people talking about reactivating months/years old neglected starters from the fridge.

I've had to throw out more than one starter and restart from scratch because if I went more than 2 weeks without feeding (while kept in the fridge under 30c) I'd get mold forming and usually not much hooch on top.

I don't include any of the mouldy starter when building a new one and I move the starter to another covered bowl/jar and completely wash then sterilize the jar with boiling water before I fridge for more than a day to be extra safe, but I feel like mine isn't behaving right at rest.

My starter was all rye, using dehydrated cultures I bought, and fed with filtered water. I've recently shifted back to using a mix of rye and bread flour

I feed before storing, and usually feed at least once a week if keeping in the fridge, or 2x a day for a couple days on the counter if I plan to bake

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you feeding by height or just your feeling on what the right schedule is?

Feed when it's maxed out and bulbus or right when it starts to recede if you want to have an Instagram worthy rise. ASAP after.

I've killed one by keeping it close to compost, it was covered.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

So my poolish has been hanging around for about 18 hours, now, and I'm still not getting the whole "bubbles popping on the surface, every few seconds" thing.

I don't think I've passed the point where this happened, since I've been checking it since I woke up this morning. It is a little cool in here, but I didn't think it would take this long to get to the point where I should be able to use it.

Should I just give up and start mixing? Or hang around a little longer?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do they make the loaves of bread that are 45 calories per slice? I know they are mostly air, which is how they manage to be so low in calories. I can get any of my loaves to hold that kind of structure without collapsing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

How do they make the loaves of bread that are 45 calories per slice? I know they are mostly air, which is how they manage to be so low in calories. I can get any of my loaves to hold that kind of structure without collapsing.

Look at the ingredients and see if one of them is "cellulose".

I'm doing Ishamael's recipe for levain. I did two slap-and-folds watched a video, realized I was doing slap-and-folds wrong, then did three more slap-and-folds.

The dough is in theory ready to rise 9 hours. It looks like this.

To my eyes, there's no gluten cloak there. Is this just fine for the penultimate rise (the last one being in banneton)?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm doing Ishamael's recipe for levain. I did two slap-and-folds watched a video, realized I was doing slap-and-folds wrong, then did three more slap-and-folds.

To my eyes, there's no gluten cloak there. Is this just fine for the penultimate rise (the last one being in banneton)?

idk Ishamael's recipe for levain but it sounds biblical

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Let me try to rephrase in case I got a different reality from that. That's the dough before you're going to slap it in a banneton for the final rise. If so, that doesn't look too good. I such at gluten cloaks and only got them recently, but I think I'd have a more structured dough even for 80% hydrated stuff at that particular point in the process. That looks almost like drop biscuit dough. One problem though is I guessing that isn't a picture right after a fold. If it is, then yeah, that's just bad. I'd be looking at how well that dough is managing the stretch and fold.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That is the bread currently doing its bulk fermentation. I think I'll stick it in the fridge overnight and do a few more slap and folds.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, I'm just an amateur, but, to me, that dough looks nowhere near ready for bulk fermentation. That boy needs a bunch more coil folds, letter folds, turn-and-folds, whatever. There's just not enough structure to it. You put that into your bulk fermenter and it'll come out looking and acting like it went in. Just keep folding every 15 minutes until it starts to look more uniform and "dough like".

In other news, I gave up on my poolish rising normally on the counter and threw it into the oven with the light on. After about an hour or two, I saw the "bubbles every few seconds" (which is the first time I've ever seen that; I've always done pre-frement overnight, in the oven, so it must have been waaaaaaay past its prime when I used it [which would explain my horrible luck with pre-ferments]).

Following my own advice, I coil folded it a bunch of times (probably only 10-15 minutes apart), then did a final letter-fold before dropping it into the bulk-fermenting container. Since it was so late, I threw it into the fridge and am hoping that I won't come downstairs in the morning to find my kitchen looking like a scene from The Stuff.

If I punch it down before going to bed, am I dooming myself to failure? Also, if it looks good, in the morning, should I put it in the banneton and proof it on the counter, or put it back into the fridge?

EDIT: Saw you just replied. In my still amateur opinion, I would do a series of coil folds, and a letter- or turn-and-fold before putting in into the fridge for bulk fermentation. Seek other opinions, though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Agreeing with the others that this is not ready and I hope you did more stretch and folds before the final shaped rise.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I said the hell with it and switched over to Foodbod's technique, shaping using the sides of the bowl. You scoop down to the bottom of the bowl, pull the fold over across the bowl, lather rinse repeat. I'm two folds in and so far it keeps returning to liquid. If I can't get it ready for bulk fermentation by bedtime (8PM here, I'll be going to sleep by 10) I'll probably just refrigerate it, knead in a yeast-water solution in the morning, and convert it to a regular boule.

I'm starting to suspect it was overproofed, but I can't think how; the levain began in Sunday night, I got up Monday morning and all was well, mixed flour and water and did an autolyse, added levain, did multiple slaps and folds, but it never ever shaped up.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I can only think of it being overproofed in that condition if you were seeing a bunch of bubbles basically boiling out of it. Assume there isn't much of a gluten network at all, nothing is there to trap the air and rise it, so any air being produced would just escape. So it's theoretically possible but I figure it would be obvious and probably would have been visible in the picture too despite the recent handling.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Morning post.

A bit overrisen, fell somewhat when I tucked it into the bottom of the Lodge two-piece dutch oven. Into the oven it goes! This definitely should have risen in my bâtard banneton and gone into my oval clay baker; it was too big for the Lodge. It'll be bread, anyway, and that's what counts.

If anybody wants to give tips on slashing, I'd appreciate it. I had a brand-new flexible razor blade tucked into my lame, and it dragged and didn't cut. Should I be trying to use the middle of the razor blade to cut? Is there an angle that helps? Are flexible razor blades not what I want?

e: Mystery solved. The blades that came with my lame are as sharp as a pebble.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 22, 2022

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sorry if this is an annoying question, but your phrasing made me curious.

Is that the levain? Or you mean that you mixed the levain in with the other ingredients, folded 3x over the course of 1.5 hours and then took the picture?

Just trying to figure out what we are seeing, to give the most useful advice

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, bread thread. I just stumbled upon this recipe, and I kinda wanna try it. What's your take on this no knead peasant bread? It seems super-simple, cheap, and easy. I just gotta figure out if my glass bowls will withstand the oven or not before I try it.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Look on the bottom of your bowl. If there's an oven-safe marking on it, you're good. If you do not see any marking, or do not see the words oven-safe specifically? Do not put that thing in the oven

edit: do you have a Dutch oven? Or any reasonably heavy, large metal pot with a tight fitting lid? That will work, too. I don't know many people who have an oven safe bowl that's large enough for bread.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, bread thread. I just stumbled upon this recipe, and I kinda wanna try it. What's your take on this no knead peasant bread? It seems super-simple, cheap, and easy. I just gotta figure out if my glass bowls will withstand the oven or not before I try it.

It looks decent. You’ll get better results for roughly the same effort if you use much less yeast (like 1/4 tsp) and let it rise overnight/12-16 hours, but as a basic bread it’ll be tasty enough, especially when fresh. I am just not sure how developed the gluten will be and hence how dense. It probably won’t have a light, open, airy crumb.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
You should just use a 2 qt oval casserole dish or something if you don't have a Dutch oven or a tiny roaster. I've done bread in my oval casserole and it worked great.

And yes, no knead really can be that easy! Getting that rise will be harder, but you'll have delicious bread.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

therattle posted:

It looks decent. You’ll get better results for roughly the same effort if you use much less yeast (like 1/4 tsp) and let it rise overnight/12-16 hours, but as a basic bread it’ll be tasty enough, especially when fresh. I am just not sure how developed the gluten will be and hence how dense. It probably won’t have a light, open, airy crumb.

I don't claim to know, as I'm a complete baking novice, but the pictures seemed pretty good? Half of the appeal of this recipe is the quick timing on it. Being able to go from raw ingredients to finished loaf in three hours as the recipe claims would be such a godsend compared to the other recipes I've made that all needed at least a day and a half to actually get things rolling.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

neogeo0823 posted:

I don't claim to know, as I'm a complete baking novice, but the pictures seemed pretty good? Half of the appeal of this recipe is the quick timing on it. Being able to go from raw ingredients to finished loaf in three hours as the recipe claims would be such a godsend compared to the other recipes I've made that all needed at least a day and a half to actually get things rolling.
If time is a goal, then totally, go for it. It’s 100% possible to get a loaf of yeasted bread made in a couple hours. The main trade-off is flavor that yeast produces over longer time periods. If that’s a trade-off you want to make then there’s no problem with that at all.

e: the extra time is usually mostly/completely hands-off, but obviously that does require more advanced planning than something that only takes a couple hours start-to-finish

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Baked this overnight loaf this morning, tried something different that I saw recently which was brushing a light cornflour/water glaze over the dough right before baking. Also tried to let it get to a nice and deep brown without burning and happy with it overall.

Had a bit of a stressful moment where it was sticking to the banneton but I managed to get it out in the end. Still pretty average at scoring but it's fun trying out different things each time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ishamael posted:

Sorry if this is an annoying question, but your phrasing made me curious.

Is that the levain? Or you mean that you mixed the levain in with the other ingredients, folded 3x over the course of 1.5 hours and then took the picture?

Just trying to figure out what we are seeing, to give the most useful advice
That was the result of prepping the levain over night, letting the flour and water autolyse for an hour, adding the levain + salt, and something like fifteen slap-and-folds.

The only way I could get the thing to hold together at all was to plop it into a bowl and do Foodbod's stretch-and-fold method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

fourwood posted:

If time is a goal, then totally, go for it. It’s 100% possible to get a loaf of yeasted bread made in a couple hours. The main trade-off is flavor that yeast produces over longer time periods. If that’s a trade-off you want to make then there’s no problem with that at all.

e: the extra time is usually mostly/completely hands-off, but obviously that does require more advanced planning than something that only takes a couple hours start-to-finish

Totally agree but without kneading, a longer proof is going to result in much better gluten development and hence improved texture and crumb. If I do breads without a long proof I knead them in my stand mixer.