Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So I let myself stagnate after getting my CCNA and I'm still in the same position - not touching networking at all - that I was before. While I could revisit the material to get confident in it again, such that I wouldn't feel ridiculous applying to a network tech/admin role, I think I'm more interested in building on my (meager) strengths and learning more about Windows server administration.

Is MCSA Server 2016 the one to get? Or is it the same situation that it was back during the 2008/2012 change-over, where you can get 2012 and 2016 for not much extra work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.
I'm studying for the CISSP. I've read the 11th Hour book to get familiar with some of what is 'important' and now I'm halfway through the Sybex Official Study Guide. I'm struggling to know what is important for the test vs. what isn't.

For instance - in a 'Real World Scenario' box, the book mentions making flash cards mapping all of the different protocols from the different OSI layers until you know them all (IE SMTP = application, SPX = transport, NFS = session, etc). Is that something I need to cover for the test or is this another example of them going farther than necessary to cover everything?

I plan on finishing this book, taking Transcender practice exams, reading the Exam Cram, another round of practice exams and finishing up with a last read of the 11th Hour books. I guess once I'm reliably able to get 90%+ on practice exams, I'll schedule my real test.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Be familiar with everything in the official study guide, but know everything in the 11th Hour book.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Is MCSA Server 2016 the one to get? Or is it the same situation that it was back during the 2008/2012 change-over, where you can get 2012 and 2016 for not much extra work?

IMO, if you really wanna bone up on Windows administration, there are two paths to go. One with reduced complexity but more exams and time, one with increased complexity but less exams/time.

Reduced complexity:

-Get your Server 2008 MCSA (3 exams)
-Upgrade to 2012 (1 exam)
-Upgrade to 2016 (1 exam)

Increased complexity
-Powershell in A Month's Worth of Lunches (not an exam, but 2012 is so Powershell heavy that you really need to know it going in)
-2012 MCSA (3 exams)

It behooves you so much just on the first chapter of the 2016 update book to understand some basics of Powershell that the book is well worth having. I have yet to get through it and am planning on taking my time studying the book, but the amount of reliance on Powershell has gone way up. In 2012 it seems like "yeah, there's this new feature, you have to use Powershell to install/config/remove it" has become "you can now do everything in Powershell" in 2016. I wouldn't want to dive into 2016 without at least understanding the idea of verb-noun scripting, how to rule out what looks like a bogus cmdlet/verb/noun, and at least understanding the new methods for doing stuff.

Also, 2016 starts talking about containers, Docker, etc. and things that I honestly have only seen before as things that would be great for Linux sysadmins to have, or for specialized admins to know really well.

Nothing substitutes for experience, so the more you lab up on and the more you practice - let alone the more you can do if you ask work to let you do - the better off you'll be.

The 2012 upgrade exam was a toughie, but I can't speak for the 2008 exams. I did the 2003-2008 upgrade exam and it wasn't that difficult, just hard to prep for because next to nobody sells a book to go through and practice with, which is what worked best for me.

You learn a LOT of the basics in these exams, let alone the new stuff. I would honestly recommend the 2008 route. IMO and in my experience, businesses that hire Windows admins are big enough that they'll probably be lagging behind in infrastructure such that it's good to come in with the oldest supported OS likely to be in production. A few years ago that was 2003R2 with the outlier soon-to-be-retired 2000, now it's 2008R2 with the outlier 2k3 boxes. Any new boxes are 2012.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'll be the dissenting opinion on the 08 route. I'd advise using 2012 R2 as your base instead going back for those certs. You're going to be forced to learn a lot of dead tech (Network access protection, which is depreciated, is still on the 2012 R2 test and the exam ref warns you "you'll need know this even if microsoft is not using this") and will lag behind on the new concepts microsoft pushes in the later documentation (namely, how to manage and utilize non-domain joined servers centrally and using server-core\GUI less world).

I found the documentation vs the testing to be exceptionally disconnected, which they corrected with technologies that came after 08. For example 08R2 just had training kit for each test, 12R2 and later have training guides and exam refs. One set of books help you through the concepts, the exam ref reminds you what is important.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's dead tech on every MS server exam, at least the ones I've taken. 2k3 expected you to use a 2k3 server as a switch or router. 2k8 has NAP and DirectAccess. 2k12 has a bunch of other things that have never been actually used in an enterprise that I know of. This is an MS exam issue, not a course track issue.

FWIW I've found it's a great job marketing tool to be able to say "I am certified in all currently supported versions of Windows Server" and to be able to answer technical questions therein, but that's just me.

It really depends on how OP learns. Me, I did well enough by going through the prep books, taking notes, retyping the notes, then re-doing the books and highlighting anything useful, all the while labbing it up and going through the practice options. Every question is usually a trap in some way, and the exam usually REALLY sucks, but it really comes down to how many exams you think you can do.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
So I'm working on the CCNA security and this stuff is just really dry and boring, plus it would appear that the main textbook for the course offered by Cisco was rushed to press and isn't adequate, so people are having to read Cisco white papers on the technologies covered on the exam. The whole thing really leaves a bad taste in the mouth. It's my final class at WGU.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MJP posted:

There's dead tech on every MS server exam, at least the ones I've taken. 2k3 expected you to use a 2k3 server as a switch or router. 2k8 has NAP and DirectAccess. 2k12 has a bunch of other things that have never been actually used in an enterprise that I know of. This is an MS exam issue, not a course track issue.

FWIW I've found it's a great job marketing tool to be able to say "I am certified in all currently supported versions of Windows Server" and to be able to answer technical questions therein, but that's just me.

It really depends on how OP learns. Me, I did well enough by going through the prep books, taking notes, retyping the notes, then re-doing the books and highlighting anything useful, all the while labbing it up and going through the practice options. Every question is usually a trap in some way, and the exam usually REALLY sucks, but it really comes down to how many exams you think you can do.

DirectAccess is never actually used? News to me.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Aging Millenial posted:

So I'm working on the CCNA security and this stuff is just really dry and boring, plus it would appear that the main textbook for the course offered by Cisco was rushed to press and isn't adequate, so people are having to read Cisco white papers on the technologies covered on the exam. The whole thing really leaves a bad taste in the mouth. It's my final class at WGU.

Get the Boson exam. Its the best material out there by far

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Which is the best & most advanced certification? Which one will impress a potential employer the most?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

DEA posted:

Which is the best & most advanced certification? Which one will impress a potential employer the most?

http://devopsleague.com/course.html or http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications/architect/ccar.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DEA posted:

I was going to make a joke about "POTUS" but we saw who just got that cert so..

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DEA posted:

Trick question. Smugly announce that you don't need certifications and then complain in this forum about how you can't find a job.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

DEA posted:

Master Cicerone would impress me the most.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

DEA posted:

Citrix.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

IMO, if you really wanna bone up on Windows administration, there are two paths to go. One with reduced complexity but more exams and time, one with increased complexity but less exams/time.

Reduced complexity:

-Get your Server 2008 MCSA (3 exams)
-Upgrade to 2012 (1 exam)

Increased complexity
-Powershell in A Month's Worth of Lunches (not an exam, but 2012 is so Powershell heavy that you really need to know it going in)
-2012 MCSA (3 exams)

It behooves you so much just on the first chapter of the 2016 update book to understand some basics of Powershell that the book is well worth having. I have yet to get through it and am planning on taking my time studying the book, but the amount of reliance on Powershell has gone way up. In 2012 it seems like "yeah, there's this new feature, you have to use Powershell to install/config/remove it" has become "you can now do everything in Powershell" in 2016. I wouldn't want to dive into 2016 without at least understanding the idea of verb-noun scripting, how to rule out what looks like a bogus cmdlet/verb/noun, and at least understanding the new methods for doing stuff.

Also, 2016 starts talking about containers, Docker, etc. and things that I honestly have only seen before as things that would be great for Linux sysadmins to have, or for specialized admins to know really well.

Nothing substitutes for experience, so the more you lab up on and the more you practice - let alone the more you can do if you ask work to let you do - the better off you'll be.

The 2012 upgrade exam was a toughie, but I can't speak for the 2008 exams. I did the 2003-2008 upgrade exam and it wasn't that difficult, just hard to prep for because next to nobody sells a book to go through and practice with, which is what worked best for me.

You learn a LOT of the basics in these exams, let alone the new stuff. I would honestly recommend the 2008 route. IMO and in my experience, businesses that hire Windows admins are big enough that they'll probably be lagging behind in infrastructure such that it's good to come in with the oldest supported OS likely to be in production. A few years ago that was 2003R2 with the outlier soon-to-be-retired 2000, now it's 2008R2 with the outlier 2k3 boxes. Any new boxes are 2012.

Appreciate all of this info very much. I think the 2nd option sounds good to me, partially because taking three exams on an EOL OS sounds pretty terrible, partially because I already own the Powershell in a Month of Lunches and have been telling myself to get on it for a while now.

Here's hoping I stay committed to this. I'm in a low-effort/stress/pay pod that isn't going to be here forever, and my skills have definitely started stagnating as a result.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

psydude posted:

Trick question. Smugly announce that you don't need certifications and then complain in this forum about how you can't find a job.

Worked for me

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Master Cicerone would impress me the most.

That's what you go for after working at rogue ales, right?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

DirectAccess is never actually used? News to me.

You've seen it in use? You'd honestly be the first professional cohort I've mentioned to see it used, let alone the first actual company that used it.

It's not a bad idea, it just seems that it was trying to fill the niche that was already filled in many enterprises already.

Appreciate all of this info very much. I think the 2nd option sounds good to me, partially because taking three exams on an EOL OS sounds pretty terrible, partially because I already own the Powershell in a Month of Lunches and have been telling myself to get on it for a while now.

Here's hoping I stay committed to this. I'm in a low-effort/stress/pay pod that isn't going to be here forever, and my skills have definitely started stagnating as a result.

Just be advised, you're probably going to learn 100% of the stuff in the 2008 books/exams as you will in 2012. The backbone of Windows Server since 2003 has changed, but not so significantly that parts need to be re-done. For example, you'll learn the basics of DNS/DHCP/AD in regards to Windows Server in your 2008 books, as you would in 2012. The upgrade exams only cover new features.

Yeah, 2008/2008R2 are EOL as of 2020, but we all know what happened with XP. I'd put lunch money on that date being pushed back, or to have companies just ignore it.

I know how you feel about low-effort/stress/pay jobs and skill stagnation. My first job ever out of college was a call center IT position for a big medical company, and it was enough that I could move out and Have A Life but not enough of a challenge. Took me a couple of years before I went elsewhere, but I had no real skill plan other than "I hate call center support" and it was a few years before I took the plunge and started the exam prep route.

Either way will serve you well and has its own benefits and drawbacks. Both ways you come out with at least two certs.

It really comes down to how well you study solo. What worked for me may not work for you, but I just spent at least half of my lunch and as much work downtime as I could get away with studying, writing down notes. That was the important part - the act of writing helped me retain info a little better. I did the exercises and re-did them, then later took my written notes and compiled them into a Google doc for portability.

Then I went back through the book, highlighted useful notes, and transcribed those too.

There's videos if that works better for you, or classes if someone can pay for 'em. Just take a lot of time, don't even schedule the exam until you're ready, unless deadlines motivate you better. These exams are not designed to test your skill, they are designed to trick you and test your ability to apply your knowledge in the context of the question.

Spend all the time you need to do the exams when the time comes.

incoherent posted:

That's what you go for after working at rogue ales, right?

I want my MCSA

Master Cicerone, Sipping Ales

I could have sworn anyone could get that, though.

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 13, 2017

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
passed Network + by 10 points. More like CompCYA!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MJP posted:

You've seen it in use? You'd honestly be the first professional cohort I've mentioned to see it used, let alone the first actual company that used it.

It's not a bad idea, it just seems that it was trying to fill the niche that was already filled in many enterprises already.

Microsoft uses it. Mark Russinovich did a presentation at Ignite and showed his network adapters on screen for a second and it was there. I was surprised.

I think a lot of companies that already had a Cisco/Juniper type VPN solution just kept it. I've heard of a few companies using DA, they're out there but it doesn't seem to be popular.

....taking three exams on an EOL OS sounds pretty terrible,

2008 is going to be around for a long time. I think normal End of Support was 2020, and now they're extending that even more. Hell most companies still have some Server 2003 in the mix, I know we do even though I have a fit when I think about it.

Nothing wrong with starting at 2012 though, it's probably what I would recommend.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ISC2 just sent me an email that my endorsement went through and I'm now CISSP. That's basically 40 days on the nose if anyone's keeping track of recent processing times.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Thom and the Heads posted:

passed Network + by 10 points. More like CompCYA!

Congrats! I came in here and said I thought the N+ was much harder than I was expecting and was met with a few people saying that if you can't breeze through N+ to get out of the industry but I wonder how recently they've taken it. It seems like CompTIA tests are getting more and more focused on obscure minutia, probably in an attempt to combat brain dumps.

That was part of the reason I was really looking forward to taking the RHCSA which is much more hands-on but the fuckers cancelled the test at the only nearby testing center AGAIN. I was originally supposed to take it Dec 16th and now the next possible date is March 3rd, but I'm not confident they won't cancel that one too. I really wanted to be working on another cert by now but I don't want to start studying hard for something new a full 6 weeks before I test on this one. I'm pretty close to just saying gently caress it and seeing how much RHCSA overlaps with Linux+ and just going for that one since I can at least schedule CompTIA tests whenever.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
The Network + was an exercise in getting through 80 vague questions that barely gave enough information to answer them. I thought Cisco exam questions were garbage with all the "Pick 3 out of 5 That Are MOST right" type stuff but CompTIA takes the "holy gently caress these questions are traaaash" cake.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Solaron posted:

I'm studying for the CISSP. I've read the 11th Hour book to get familiar with some of what is 'important' and now I'm halfway through the Sybex Official Study Guide. I'm struggling to know what is important for the test vs. what isn't.

For instance - in a 'Real World Scenario' box, the book mentions making flash cards mapping all of the different protocols from the different OSI layers until you know them all (IE SMTP = application, SPX = transport, NFS = session, etc). Is that something I need to cover for the test or is this another example of them going farther than necessary to cover everything?

I plan on finishing this book, taking Transcender practice exams, reading the Exam Cram, another round of practice exams and finishing up with a last read of the 11th Hour books. I guess once I'm reliably able to get 90%+ on practice exams, I'll schedule my real test.

I'm starting with CISSP for Dummies, Sybex book w/ practice tests, and 11th hour and probably looking for a video training session if there's a good set out there that doesn't break the bank. I'm wondering if my technical background is helping as I jumped into taking a practice exam and got a 60% on it and lot of it was like "Bob the SysAdmin didn't protect port 3389 what kind of attack will occur from this???" and other common sense questions.

Martytoof posted:

ISC2 just sent me an email that my endorsement went through and I'm now CISSP. That's basically 40 days on the nose if anyone's keeping track of recent processing times.

You know this is good information if I take one of those jobs where they want you to get certified in X months.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Are user extended attributes a thing I should know for RHCSA?

My book makes mention of them, I know I can set them with chattr and read them with lsattr, but I'm not sure in what kind of scenarios I could encounter this.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

ghostinmyshell posted:

You know this is good information if I take one of those jobs where they want you to get certified in X months.

YMMV. My approval took more than two months. It was over the holidays, however.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

The Network + was an exercise in getting through 80 vague questions that barely gave enough information to answer them. I thought Cisco exam questions were garbage with all the "Pick 3 out of 5 That Are MOST right" type stuff but CompTIA takes the "holy gently caress these questions are traaaash" cake.

IT Certs dont test knowledge, they serve no other purpose than for salary negotiations with brain dead HR

has anyone here took the A+900 series? Im just curious how they can gently caress that up too :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ltugo posted:

YMMV. My approval took more than two months. It was over the holidays, however.

Did you have ISC2 endorse you or did you have another CISSP? Just wondering. I haven't heard it take that long for very many people.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
It was ISC2 I had another CISSP endorse me, but he was prompt, submitting it within days. Took the test on October 22nd. Received approval on December 15th, so I guess it wasn't quite as long as I remembered. Seemed like forever, though.

Edit: Misunderstood the question.

ltugo fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 17, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mine took around a month.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ltugo posted:

Seemed like forever, though.

I knew it would take a month+ and yet every day the suspicion grew stronger that I would be one of the poor sad sacks that they audit.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Finally starting on the 2012 server track

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dear god I just took this and wowie it was bad. There was more than one question where the answer was obvious but I didn't know which choice it was because they were all bad. Whatever, I'm done with comptia for another 3 years so I can continue doing nothing with their certs other than resume padding.

The best part of the test was speeding through the CBT Nugget videos in two days just looking for acronyms and new concepts, and seeing the point that the video maker just gave up trying to teach and started just hitting bullet points off of the test objectives since there's no rhyme or reason behind what's on there.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 20, 2017

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
So I have been a lazy rear end in a top hat and just noticed that the todd lammle book I am reading for the CCNA is outdated. As in it covers the test pre-august.

Looking at the new poo poo on the test it seems like he covers a bunch of it or at least RIP. Is there any reason to buy a new book? I am almost finished with ICDN1 portion so would rather not buy a whole new one for like 3 extra pages of information.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Renegret posted:

Dear god I just took this and wowie it was bad. There was more than one question where the answer was obvious but I didn't know which choice it was because they were all bad. Whatever, I'm done with comptia for another 3 years so I can continue doing nothing with their certs other than resume padding.

The best part of the test was speeding through the CBT Nugget videos in two days just looking for acronyms and new concepts, and seeing the point that the video maker just gave up trying to teach and started just hitting bullet points off of the test objectives since there's no rhyme or reason behind what's on there.

lol you should check out their A+ 900 series videos

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I got my CCENT in 2015 and have been putting off finishing up my CCNA.

I know they changed the cert recently, what study materials are good now for ICND2?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Vintimus Prime posted:

Finally starting on the 2012 server track

Welcome, learn dat powershell.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
After 4 tries, I finally passed my 70-410 exam. No hands on makes this a bitch of a test. I got a 713 this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Keith Stone posted:

After 4 tries, I finally passed my 70-410 exam. No hands on makes this a bitch of a test. I got a 713 this morning.

Congrats! You've got persistence I wish I had.