Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

How heavy is OGRE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Amoeba102 posted:

How heavy is OGRE?
17 pounds, supposedly, from some quick googling.

Or about 30 medium-sized onions.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have the hanabi deluxe edition and it's heavy as fcuk. Also, my dominion box is like the alien blood from alien; if i drop it, it falls through the floor repeatedly until it travels to the center of the earth, it is that heavy

e:

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 18, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I remember when GW was initially releasing Space Hulk 3rd Edition they were putting the box on a loving scale and trying to hype people up about it. "Look how much poo poo is in this box! It weighs 6 loving pounds! That makes this a good game!"

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

:awesome:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If that's your thing, you really oughtta spend some time in the BattleCon thread.

(Images courtesy of Gutter Owl's insanity and $70 in printing charges.)

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

.asp pages in 2015.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Broken Loose posted:

edit: Hahahaha they changed the combat from card-based to dice-based. Instant nope.

Welp, I was briefly interested.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

Big deal, I'm over 20 times as heavy as Terra Mystica and am maybe twice as fun.

Do they play a lot of board games in The Shire?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Poopy Palpy posted:

The size of the box is always going to be determined by how much you need to charge for the components, not the size of the components. Splendor could have come in a smaller box if it had cardboard tokens instead of the nice chips, but considering how often component quality is cited as one of Splendor's selling points, they probably made the right choice.

It would be pretty rad if physically small games that want to have big boxes for store shelves included a smaller box that is designed to fit all the parts well.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's something that looks awful, only a draft kickstarter at the moment and I'd like to say hey it will never happen, but then exploding kittens is a real thing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/781219801/1212099537?token=422fbbd2

quote:

The Titan Series is a line of gateway games—casual, family-friendly tabletop games—being created by some of the best game designers (“Titans”) in the world. Each a legend within the gaming industry, these Titans are responsible for such wildly popular games as Magic: The Gathering, King of Tokyo, Shadowrun, MechWarrior, HeroClix, Quarriors!, Risk Legacy, and many more.

Pay upfront for 9 "gateway" games created and produced in 3 years, none of which are more than a vague concept outline at the moment. From the world's (america's) foremost designers (of miniature games and expansions). Stretch goals of another 3 entire games! Art by munchkin's illustrator john kovalic! Excepting richard garfield who's got plenty of design chops I struggled to pick a game out of these credits that anyone should be proud of, at least by standards of "worlds greatest" - there's a number of ok-to-decent titles but equally theres poo poo like betrayal and kill doctor lucky. I did a double take on mage knight for a second before realising it was the miniatures game.

edit: with apologies to richard garfield, the dubious accomplishments of the 'titans of gaming'

quote:

Rob Daviau: Betrayal at House on the Hill, Heroscape, Risk Legacy, Axis and Allies: Pacific, and many more!
Mike Elliott: Dice Masters, Quarriors!, Thunderstone, Battle Spirits, Duel Masters, and many more!
James Ernest: Kill Doctor Lucky, Lords of Vegas, Lord of the Fries, Pairs, Unexploded Cow, and many more!
Matt Forbeck: Marvel Heroes Battle Dice, Brave New World, Descent: Journeys in the Dark Quest Compendium, Space Hulk: Genestealer, Monster Rancher, and many more!
Richard Garfield: Magic: The Gathering, King of Tokyo, Netrunner, RoboRally, The Great Dalmuti, and many more!
Seth Johnson: HeroClix, Golem Arcana, Double Double Dominoes, and many more!
Eric Lang: XCOM: The Board Game, Quarriors!, Marvel Dice Masters, Kaosball, Warhammer 40,000: Conquest, and many more!
Mike Mulvihill: BattleTech, Shadowrun, Pirates of the Spanish Main, Golem Arcana, Mage Knight Dungeons, and many more!
Paul Peterson: Guillotine, Smash Up, Pairs, and many more!
Boyan Radakovich: Numenera Board Game, Pirate Den, and more!
Mike Selinker: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Axis & Allies, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Lords of Vegas, Maze of Games, and many more!
Jordan Weisman: BattleTech, HeroClix, Shadowrun, Golem Arcana, Mage Knight, Tsuro of the Seas, and many more!
Zach Weisman: Golem Arcana, Got ‘Em!, and more!

Ayn Randi fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 18, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BattleTech is quite fun for what it is, but not at all the kind of game that I would see and think "we should have these guys design a game for beginners".

Risk Legacy is a great game bound to a terrible old set of rules, and I have an old fondness for HeroScape. And isn't Lords of Vegas pretty okay, as far as Not-Monopoly go?

I mean, that's like... two and a half good games right there!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Ayn Randi posted:

Excepting richard garfield who's got plenty of design chops I struggled to pick a game out of these credits that anyone should be proud of, I did a double take on mage knight for a second before realising it was the miniatures game.

Well they somehow forgot to put Chaos in the Old World in Eric Lang's list. Which should be a big red flag itself because it's his best game by some way and they put loving Quarriors! in there over it.

Agreed though, other than Garfield I'd say Daviau and Lang are in the "could make a good game but more likely won't" category and James Ernest is a big fat question mark having designed a million games of varying quality. Pretty much everyone else has a list of poo poo next to them.

I didn't even know Paul Peterson's name despite playing his games because Guillotine and Smash Up are both so mediocre I couldn't care less who made them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Wait, do they mean like, the Monster Rancher TCG from the 90s? Motherfucker I've tried to track down a box of that poo poo for like 5 years running at Gen Con and no vendors ever have it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Wait, do they mean like, the Monster Rancher TCG from the 90s? Motherfucker I've tried to track down a box of that poo poo for like 5 years running at Gen Con and no vendors ever have it.
Isn't that game super fiddly and way overcomplicated?

If you'd like, Countblanc, I could probably totally just make a LackeyCCG set of all the Monster Rancher Battle Card cards and we could play an actually good mediocre game.

Edit gently caress it, totally doing that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I earnestly have no idea how it plays. I just remember going to a collector's show in middle school with my friend and his collector dad to buy cheap pokemon cards and seeing a handful of boxes of it. iirc it was designed to be a 3+ player affair where you raised monsters and then fought them but I never actually touched the cards, let alone played the game, I just loving love(d) Monster Rancher and dead TCGs generally sell for like $10 for a box at gencon and it'd be a fun afternoon to learn/play.

The PSX game was loving sick though, but I can't remember if it had any actual video game mandatory requirements (like Hearthstone's "copy the effects of any card in the game" type stuff).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

The PSX game was loving sick though, but I can't remember if it had any actual video game mandatory requirements (like Hearthstone's "copy the effects of any card in the game" type stuff).
I'll probably be starting with Battle Card GB. That's a much more managable 120-ish cards to copy over. Then, if I still feel up for it, and there's interest, I'll work on spreading out into the others.

Edit We should probably continue this conversation in the Other CCGs thread.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Goons, I may be addicted to Agricola. I need some games that I would also enjoy so I can switch it up a least a little bit because people are starting to want to play other things (they threatened to bring Le Havre next week -- I don't know anything about it, could be fine, just indicating that they want something else). I'm dumb at Euros, what else would I like? I played Caverna and it was alright, played Village last week and I'd play it again but I wasn't excited by it. I dunno, I need to play more thread favourites, I guess?

Related: what Android app do you folks use for Agricola scorekeeping? (since paper is so passe)

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EvilChameleon posted:

Goons, I may be addicted to Agricola. I need some games that I would also enjoy so I can switch it up a least a little bit because people are starting to want to play other things (they threatened to bring Le Havre next week -- I don't know anything about it, could be fine, just indicating that they want something else). I'm dumb at Euros, what else would I like? I played Caverna and it was alright, played Village last week and I'd play it again but I wasn't excited by it. I dunno, I need to play more thread favourites, I guess?

Related: what Android app do you folks use for Agricola scorekeeping? (since paper is so passe)

I'm mad for keyflower, variable tiles each season in place of occupations/improvements and bidding instead of drafting, combined worker placement/auctioning, constructing your own little board (that other players can also interact with). I don't think anything really does agricola better than agricola but as euro worker placement goes keyflower is my favourite

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

Ayn Randi posted:

I'm mad for keyflower, variable tiles each season in place of occupations/improvements and bidding instead of drafting, combined worker placement/auctioning, constructing your own little board (that other players can also interact with). I don't think anything really does agricola better than agricola but as euro worker placement goes keyflower is my favourite

Just to be clear, I'm not asking for something that is necessarily anything like Agricola in terms of theme or even the same sort of feel, I just know I like that and I'm not quite sure where to go from there. So tell me your favourites and why! (Will check out Keyflower)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

EvilChameleon posted:

Just to be clear, I'm not asking for something that is necessarily anything like Agricola in terms of theme or even the same sort of feel, I just know I like that and I'm not quite sure where to go from there. So tell me your favourites and why! (Will check out Keyflower)

I've had tons of fun with Argent the Consortium. It's a fun twist on the standard worker placement because you can spend resources to knock opposing players off of spaces that you want, and similarly can spend resources to defend yourself against that. Add in the sheer variety of setup and components as well as the neat way the semi-hidden winning objectives (spend resources to learn what scores a point) work, and it's a pretty darned good game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

EvilChameleon posted:

(they threatened to bring Le Havre next week -- I don't know anything about it, could be fine, just indicating that they want something else)

Le Havre is cool, play it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Brew Crafters is pretty similar to Agricola as far as its worker placement style goes (resource piles that remain and stack up if unchosen, few enough spaces where you'll likely screw over someone else by taking a certain spot, resource that you have to pay at the end of certain rounds or you'll lose points) that also ties in strongly with its theme and has an additional placement phase on a separate board that determines whether you build a building for your area, brew beer and/or collaborate, or research one of four areas to get you bonuses during the game. If anyone likes Agricola, I'd recommend checking it out since it's pretty much Agricola with more stuff (albeit the family version since there's no cards that I know of like Agricola's Occupations/Minor Improvements).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilChameleon posted:

:shrug: I just add it up in my head, at this point I don't even need to consult the score card.

EvilChameleon posted:

Unfortunately you have reached the top tier with Agricola. Any recommendations I give you would just be for inferior games.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

EvilChameleon posted:

Sounds like you're ready for some Vlaada!

Dungeon Lords is a role selection game where you are trying to build and man a dungeon, but it keeps getting invaded by those damnable heroes. Thematically, it's like the PC game Dungeon Keeper but doesn't really play like that at all.

Dungeon Petz is a risk management and worker placement game where you are trying to keep a bunch of rambunctious creatures under your control, and show them off so you can get the most prestige.

If you like the planning factor of Agricola, both of these games will be up your alley - they punish you heavily for failing to plan properly, and there's a real puzzle involved in trying to get the best stuff to take on the challenges in front of you.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
I have Argent and I love it. It's hard to sell to some people, though, and there are others I would not want to play it with so it's a bit restrictive in that way. I'll play Le Havre or most things that people tend to bring, I just don't know anything about it, and some people like bad/boring things. I know a guy who has Dungeon Lords but he's the slowest player of all time and I don't really know that I want to learn a game from him. I want to play some Vlaada games since the thread has a hard-on for his stuff, but the only one I've played is Space Alert. Brew Crafters sounds possibly interesting -- speaking of games similar to Agricola thematically and play-wise, how does Scoville stack up? I haven't seen anyone with it but it looked good to me at a glance.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

EvilChameleon posted:

I know a guy who has Dungeon Lords but he's the slowest player of all time and I don't really know that I want to learn a game from him.

This is a sad story, but one I know all too well :(

Galaxy Trucker is a good bet, probably the most accessible of the classic Vlaada games.

EBag
May 18, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

I have Argent and I love it. It's hard to sell to some people, though, and there are others I would not want to play it with so it's a bit restrictive in that way. I'll play Le Havre or most things that people tend to bring, I just don't know anything about it, and some people like bad/boring things. I know a guy who has Dungeon Lords but he's the slowest player of all time and I don't really know that I want to learn a game from him. I want to play some Vlaada games since the thread has a hard-on for his stuff, but the only one I've played is Space Alert. Brew Crafters sounds possibly interesting -- speaking of games similar to Agricola thematically and play-wise, how does Scoville stack up? I haven't seen anyone with it but it looked good to me at a glance.

Rahdo has a runthrough of Scoville, it looks more like a puzzle/set collection sort of game with a spatial element. I dont think it looks that similar.

What is it you like about Agricola? The tightness of it, not being able to do everything you want? The theme and building stuff? The variability of the cards?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I just downloaded the Agricola app and played through the tutorial and a few solo games. Having played no other worker placement games besides Lords of Waterdeep, it's definitely a little overwhelming. Like, the punishments for failing to account for something are so steep. Didn't buy any livestock? gently caress you, lose points. Didn't plow enough fields? gently caress you, lose points. I guess I just don't understand how to use the minor improvements and occupations well enough.

I do like that a ton of games now have iOS versions. Like, I have a hell of a time getting people together for game nights, so it's nice to play things like Pandemic and Galaxy Trucker.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That's Agricola. Agricola is a game where you struggle to not lose, unless you're very good at it, as opposed to a game that you struggle to win.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Aggro posted:

I just downloaded the Agricola app and played through the tutorial and a few solo games. Having played no other worker placement games besides Lords of Waterdeep, it's definitely a little overwhelming. Like, the punishments for failing to account for something are so steep. Didn't buy any livestock? gently caress you, lose points. Didn't plow enough fields? gently caress you, lose points. I guess I just don't understand how to use the minor improvements and occupations well enough.

It's not that big of a deal, though. If it's going to cost you three moves to get rid of your -1 for vegetables and two moves to get 6 points for fencing in the pasture, just fence in the pasture. Like, if it bothers you that much, make a new scorecard and increase all point values by 1. Didn't buy any livestock? No points for livestock.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

EBag posted:

Rahdo has a runthrough of Scoville, it looks more like a puzzle/set collection sort of game with a spatial element. I dont think it looks that similar.

What is it you like about Agricola? The tightness of it, not being able to do everything you want? The theme and building stuff? The variability of the cards?

The tightness is good, it feeling like there is actually a little theme is good (vs say, a Stefan Feld game, which while mechanically amazing, are rather dull to me). Card variety is nice but I wouldn't expect any other game to have that level of variety necessarily, as a prerequisite. I think the main thing is that it feels tight, choices matter, being frustrated by not being able to do everything, not feeling like I'm doing the same thing every turn. Writing this makes me realize how hard it is to express what makes me like various games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilChameleon posted:

The tightness is good, it feeling like there is actually a little theme is good (vs say, a Stefan Feld game, which while mechanically amazing, are rather dull to me). Card variety is nice but I wouldn't expect any other game to have that level of variety necessarily, as a prerequisite. I think the main thing is that it feels tight, choices matter, being frustrated by not being able to do everything, not feeling like I'm doing the same thing every turn. Writing this makes me realize how hard it is to express what makes me like various games.

From how you are describing Agricola you would love Mage Knight. It has the same sort of edge of your seat tightness, every little decision matters and you will never be able to do everything on the map before the game ends (in victory or defeat). There is also the huge variety that you get in Agricola. There are not as many cards in the game but each one has a lot more impact depending on the circumstances. The game is also randomized in ways other than cards, the map tiles, which creatures come up, the direction General Volkaire moves, etc.

Thematically they are obviously very differant but once you get down to the nuts and bolts they are quite similar. If it's called "Killing an Orc" or "Building a Well" you are in the end just spending a resources to buy victory points in both games. Don't let the nice miniatures and cool artwork fool you Mage Knight is very Euro.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Did it take everyone else a lot of tries to get their first win in solo Mage Knight? I don't want to ask what I'm doing wrong because it feels like that's a much bigger question, but I just did something like my fifth playthrough and I only just managed to take the first city in my second to last turn of the final round, due to doubling back on myself and lucking out into a Horn of Wrath (which I immediately chucked for siege 10).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Single Tight Female posted:

Did it take everyone else a lot of tries to get their first win in solo Mage Knight? I don't want to ask what I'm doing wrong because it feels like that's a much bigger question, but I just did something like my fifth playthrough and I only just managed to take the first city in my second to last turn of the final round, due to doubling back on myself and lucking out into a Horn of Wrath (which I immediately chucked for siege 10).

No, but I set the city to level 1 on my first try :shobon:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Single Tight Female posted:

I've not played solo, but it took us a few plays to properly get it playing multiplayer as well. It's a big, complex game, and some of the nuances are easy to miss - principally, not getting sidetracked by stuff that's not worth your time, and not being scared to blow your big cards for (relatively) low value. It's (usually) a lot more painful to hold onto that big card waiting for a good opportunity to use it - which you're making less likely to happen by holding on to it, of course - than it is to play it relatively soon, for at least some value, and draw something else.

In non-adversarial modes, tight play is even more important because the dummy players can move FAST if you're not careful and lucky.

EBag
May 18, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

Keyflower was a good suggestion, it's a lot more interactive than Agricola because of the auction and being able to use other players stuff, and has a that feeling of not being able to do everything you want coupled with other players taking the tiles you want or need to use. Also quite a bit of variability and depending on what tiles come out some games can feel very different if for example no transport tiles comes out.

Troyes is a pretty good dice/worker placement game. You use dice to perform actions (similar to Stone Age if you've played it), but each round there's bad poo poo that you need to deal with so some of your dice get used up before you get to do anything with them, and you need to combat them on your turn so it doesn't pile up too much with the bad stuff coming in the next round. On top of that, there's a ton of different ways to use and combo your dice with the different actions. And then on top of that players have secret goals that everyone will be scored on, so you want to try and guess which goals are in play to score bonus points. Really cool, somewhat heavy game that will burn your brain, doesn't have a ton of theme but I think there's more theme to it than most Feld games.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think Mage Knight is a wonderful game and we have only lost once but it is exhausting to play, and if I'm being completely honest here the game feels mostly to me like a pretty straightforward yet extremely brain-burny optimization problem to solve from beginning to end.

When work is mentally exhausting (which it has been for me for some time now) I find I have little to no time or interest in playing something densely mental like Mage Knight. I want to relax with some downtime for my brain instead. I'm not firing up anything thinky or time-consuming on the computer either, it's One-Finger Death Punch and Binding of Issac and Broforce and stuff like that.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Oh god you can wound spent units. That's it. That's the thing I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

This thread is really slow when people aren't posting angrily about bad games.