Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Does it talk about how Patton Oswalt killed her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

packetmantis posted:

:thunk:

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
I tried to read it and I don't think I made it more than a couple chapters in, she spent so much time talking about herself.

"Oh well, I could have been paying attention to the Hollywood Gala I was attending, but I'm so devoted to this case you should hear how I was on my phone instead."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

packetmantis posted:

Why the gently caress people think this is a funny thing to joke about is beyond me

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

packetmantis posted:

Ever given any thought to not being an arsehole?

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
The NPR guy, Peter Sagal wrote a book "The Incomplete Book of Running". It's billed as one of those meditative, thinking on my life and passing on my lessons, type books and it was leant to me because "Oh! You jog and occasionally listen to NPR!"

It was written right after his divorce. It was really obviously written after his divorce. He won't stop talking about his divorce. He is super resentful of his ex-wife.

It's extremely uncomfortable and I feel bad for his daughters.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

Why the gently caress people think this is a funny thing to joke about is beyond me

I think pretty much anything can be funny to joke about if you do it the right way (that one wasn't successful though.)

HelleSpud posted:

It was written right after his divorce. It was really obviously written after his divorce. He won't stop talking about his divorce. He is super resentful of his ex-wife.

Ugh I can't stand things like this, it makes me cringe. I don't know why editors- or at least friends and family- don't stop people from doing it. So much bad and weird poo poo goes through your head during a divorce, writing a book and having all those thoughts out there forever is awful.

Aside from that it's just unpleasant to read.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I wasn't joking.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

No, yeah, she included a part about it but it was ghost written

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I think I'm missing something. Did Patton Oswalt kill someone?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Djeser posted:

I think I'm missing something. Did Patton Oswalt kill someone?

No, his first wife died of a combination of a drug overdose and heart trouble.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, and this spawned a weird SA meme/"joke" that Patton killed her. Kind of gross!

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

I wasn't joking.

Like, genuinely? Is there any particular reason you believe he was responsible?

Mixing xanax, adderall, and fentanyl is a lot, but it's not like people haven't been doing similar stuff forever. How many people have died from speedballs, for example.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
He took over her book and publicity circuit and immediately hooked up with someone else. If he was a woman he'd already have been hanged in the court of public opinion.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Most widowers remarry very soon after the death of their wife. It's not at all uncommon.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

So he killed her so... he had to do the promotional work on her book, instead of letting her do it? Was Patton Oswalt so fuckin' hungry to do a true-crime book tour that he killed for it?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

New Super Metis posted:

Most widowers remarry very soon after the death of their wife. It's not at all uncommon.

That always surprised me, and I looked it up and all I could find where stats on older people. Like, nothing for the 30-year old widowers other than one throw-away line in a study of "younger people are more likely to remarry, of course". Doesn't really help that most studies are paywalled. Regardless, it's always amusing to see people get criticized for remarrying. "No, you have not grieved long enough. Says I, a member of the public."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Serephina posted:

That always surprised me, and I looked it up and all I could find where stats on older people. Like, nothing for the 30-year old widowers other than one throw-away line in a study of "younger people are more likely to remarry, of course". Doesn't really help that most studies are paywalled. Regardless, it's always amusing to see people get criticized for remarrying. "No, you have not grieved long enough. Says I, a member of the public."

You know sci-hub is a thing, right?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Dienes posted:

You know sci-hub is a thing, right?

Cheers for that! I'm fairly blue collar, so looking things up properly is kinda foreign to me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Serephina posted:

Cheers for that! I'm fairly blue collar, so looking things up properly is kinda foreign to me.
No shame in not knowing about scihub given that multiple very rich organizations actively want you to not steal their poo poo with it.

always use scihub :ssh:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Serephina posted:

The title or doi number of a paywalled article, entered into sci-hub, will get you the article.

For a slower but less :filez: approach, you can email the author and ask for a copy. We can give copies of our pubs away. That paywall money doesn't go to the authors or peer reviewers.

Telemaze posted:

Like, genuinely? Is there any particular reason you believe he was responsible?

Some people blame him because, depending on the account you heard, he either suggested she take the pills or gave her the pills that she OD'd on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Wasn’t everything in her system was prescribed by her doctor? It really just feels like people decided to blame him for vague reasons.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The reason has already been established: He did it to take over her book tour, as he doesn't get many engagements of his own and was jealous of her fame.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 16:55 on May 25, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dienes posted:

For a slower but less :filez: approach, you can email the author and ask for a copy. We can give copies of our pubs away. That paywall money doesn't go to the authors or peer reviewers.

Researchgate is a site set up to automate the 'ask an author for a copy' thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A book tour fetish claims another life, smh

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I have no idea why this popped into my head over the weekend, but does anyone know whatever became of "Handbook for Mortals" and its lunatic author?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Oh man you got me thinking about her again. Let's see, she's still on twitter...

This is her latest. Everything else is just her talking to #brands about #products. The website for the book hasn't been updated since August 2017. I guess there's not going to be a second book in this exciting series.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

This is her latest. Everything else is just her talking to #brands about #products. The website for the book hasn't been updated since August 2017. I guess there's not going to be a second book in this exciting series.

Guess the totally real movie deal fell through too, huh?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

New Super Metis posted:

It's also very common for widowers, older ones, to enter a rapid decline and die not long after. Almost as if these grown men have come to depend on having a spouse.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

GreenMetalSun posted:

Guess the totally real movie deal fell through too, huh?

"Covid delayed" per the (still surprisingly active) FB page.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Delayed all of the things like "Having a studio who will do this."

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So I began listening to a breakdown over the infamous 'book' Empress Theresa...

My kingdom for even a FRACTION of the delusional confidence these kind of people have, thinking they're writing a defining piece of literature and letting absolutely no one tell them otherwise. I can do without the insane amounts of Dunning-Kruger and paper thin ego, though. I mean, I've done creative effort and I get unhappy when someone trashes it, no matter how good the intention, but you won't see me tracking down EVERY single darn negative sentence and screaming at them how wrong they are.

And despite how overused the Mary Sue term is, it's nice to see that pure examples of it still exist. And of course, the book is just terrible in most every other way that a story that can be considered 'readable' is.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

spite house posted:

I remember the novelization of "Terminator 2" being surprisingly engaging, and it included the deleted scene with the learning-chip switch, without which the entire third act of the movie makes very little sense.

Yeah I read this as a youth and it was I think that the good Terminator needed to be able to outsmart the T-1000 but they both had the same SkyNet programming so they would always know the others next move, but the old Terminator had a hidden dipswitch on their CPU that would let them learn intuitively (which obviously SkyNet would not want in case the unit started getting ideas) and hence 'I know now why you cry' at the end.

Also for scifi / videogame books, the 'novelization' of Crysis was written by Peter Watts and its a good fit for PW, he shoehorns in a lot of his favourite subjects of autonomy, the self, weird biologies etc. The plot of the book itself feels a bit like running along chasing the next story point compass marker (much like a video game avatar aaahhh) but if you like Watts it's worth grabbing on sale.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Cornwind Evil posted:

So I began listening to a breakdown over the infamous 'book' Empress Theresa...

My kingdom for even a FRACTION of the delusional confidence these kind of people have, thinking they're writing a defining piece of literature and letting absolutely no one tell them otherwise. I can do without the insane amounts of Dunning-Kruger and paper thin ego, though. I mean, I've done creative effort and I get unhappy when someone trashes it, no matter how good the intention, but you won't see me tracking down EVERY single darn negative sentence and screaming at them how wrong they are.

And despite how overused the Mary Sue term is, it's nice to see that pure examples of it still exist. And of course, the book is just terrible in most every other way that a story that can be considered 'readable' is.

Oh my god I've never heard of this book before. This is the summary on the official Goodreads page:

It's formatted exactly like this posted:

There are a million romance, mystery, and modern angst novels, but there is only one book about a heroic teenage American girl winning against impossible odds and changing the world. Read five sample chapters here: http://www.empresstheresa.com/look_inside Judge for yourself! This one of a kind story is a great gift for a teenager. An 18 year old girl gets enormous power over the whole world. What will she do with it? DESCRIPTION: Theresa is honest, courageous, brilliant, loved by everybody ( even China wants her to take herself out of danger ), happily married, powerful but harmless, thoughtful of others' welfare not just her own, a believer in God, and an inspiration to the young and old. She attacks "impossible" problems with everything she's got and she never gives up. ____ "Those who challenge Theresa Hartley's power are fools" says the Israeli Prime Minister. "She could destroy the world."____ "Don't mess around with Empress Theresa!" says her husband Steve. __ Empress Theresa is what some people would consider impossible, a book about a good girl, with no sex, foul language, or violence, but still giving the reader an action-filled fascinating story. THE BOOK'S INTRODUCTION FOLLOWS What would you do with limitless power? We know what many people in the world would do. History is full of examples. But the world lucks out. It’s Theresa who gets limitless power. Eighteen year old Theresa only wants a quiet life when she’s suddenly burdened with global responsibilities. She is challenged by a series of “impossible” problems. Especially tricky is the one that prompts her to complain, “What am I supposed to do, change the laws of physics? This is the most impossible problem yet.” Can you guess the solutions before reading what Theresa does? Write a book about a decent girl and some critics will say every character must have serious flaws. I might have made Theresa another kind of personality, a less desirable and troubled kind of girl which would satisfy certain critics, but then people would come at me with a noose complaining, “This was our only chance to see a super-powerful girl in action and you messed up. Why didn’t you give us a loveable, inspiring Theresa?” I did, but I didn’t overdo it. A girl as fine as Theresa can be found in any high school. You know one. Empress Theresa is a tribute to the common, decent human being who quietly builds the world but hasn’t gotten enough attention lately. Norman Boutin, BS, BSN, DMD
Lot to unpack here.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love a good blurbrant

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

One frustrating thing about Empress Teresa for me was the whole bit from her getting powers to when she goes up in the last jet….well, it’s not good, but the most tolerable portion I guess? Spoiling in the event someone wants to read the ridiculousness for themselves but when she got a dozen sodas and was carrying them around I was so disappointed she didn’t use them as blunt force missiles. The story establishes she has perfect aim and super strength, I was hoping we’d see a shaken Coke bottle go flying through the hull of an aircraft carrier like it was made of aluminum. It’s as much wasted potential as the ending of Breaking Dawn imo.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

I'm slowly skimming the first chapter, which is on the author's website, and I'm already so baffled.

quote:

I sat on the sofa thinking for a while. I felt I was being watched. Or was somebody listening?

I spotted the phone. Was somebody listening on the phone?

I dialed 0 for the operator.

“Operator. How may I help you?”

“Can I have the number for Alice Pizza in Framingham?”

“One moment, please.”

Ten seconds later another woman said, “Alice Pizza, 555-8402.”

“Thanks.” I hung up. So they weren’t listening.
And then later:

quote:

We got back home and mom took things into the bedroom. I dialed the operator again.

“Operator. How may I help you?”

“Can you give me the number for Alice Pizza in Framingham?”

“One moment, please.”

I waited. And waited. And waited. A full minute passed by and she hadn’t come up with the number yet.

I hung up the phone. Now they knew I knew.
What is this implying? If your phone is tapped, all you have to do is hit 0 and you'll get the people listening? The super secret government agency that doesn't have a phone book nearby? Or did they kill the operator before she could answer?

Sisal Two-Step has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Jul 6, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Huh? Is the same thing twice in there?

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

HelleSpud posted:

The NPR guy, Peter Sagal wrote a book "The Incomplete Book of Running". It's billed as one of those meditative, thinking on my life and passing on my lessons, type books and it was leant to me because "Oh! You jog and occasionally listen to NPR!"

It's extremely uncomfortable and I feel bad for his daughters.

He also inadvertently wrote the screen play for dirty dancing 2: Havana Nights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Carthag Tuek posted:

Huh? Is the same thing twice in there?

Ah whoops, that was my bad. I fixed it.