Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
If you're dealing with regular people then go with what's easiest to set up and use, otherwise you're just asking for headaches. WhatsApp is pretty good in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You dorks saying telegram is harder to set up have clearly never even tried it. It only takes a phone number, exactly like WhatsApp.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

You dorks saying telegram is harder to set up have clearly never even tried it. It only takes a phone number, exactly like WhatsApp.

No one who is not a turbonerd uses telegram. WhatsApp has widespread worldwide adoption and Facebook owning them is irrelevant. Get WhatsApp

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, it ended up not mattering because no one else wanted to switch away from SMS/MMS. FWIW, the global prevalence of WhatsApp doesn't matter to me, since this was just for family.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

CLAM DOWN posted:

No one who is not a turbonerd uses telegram. WhatsApp has widespread worldwide adoption and Facebook owning them is irrelevant. Get WhatsApp

lol ok

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Got anything more substantial than that, or just drive-by shitposting?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, no kidding. I signed up and it was literally just a phone number. I can't imagine WhatsApp's sign up process possibly being any simpler.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ok so there are multiple viable options for this goon to choose from glad we could help

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hooah posted:

Well, it ended up not mattering because no one else wanted to switch away from SMS/MMS. FWIW, the global prevalence of WhatsApp doesn't matter to me, since this was just for family.

Can we trade families, mine refuses to get off their WhatsApp addiction and text me with plain old sms.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Reminder: It's OK to have more than one messaging app

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Can we trade families, mine refuses to get off their WhatsApp addiction and text me with plain old sms.

If you want a couple of kids, sure!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lots of normal non-nerd people I know use telegram. Also Facebook owning them is extremely relevant and keeps me from wanting to touch it with a 10 foot pole. Likewise for many (normal and not nerdy) people I know.

Heners_UK posted:

Reminder: It's OK to have more than one messaging app

Also this. Like literally everyone i have a ton of messaging apps

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

Also Facebook owning them is extremely relevant and keeps me from wanting to touch it with a 10 foot pole. Likewise for many (normal and not nerdy) people I know.

Exactly. Just as I'd certainly understand why someone would not want to do business with Google it's equally obvious how someone could have a moral objection to dealing with Facebook. I know I wouldn't under any circumstances.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

My 70 year old aunt messaged me on whatsapp out of the blue and proudly told me her other geriatric friends had told her about it and she set it up all by her lonesome on a piece of poo poo Android phone that came bundled with her mobile plan.

Can't imagine it happening with Telegram which I've never even loving heard of, but maybe it's a US thing.

Then again, she also has a Facebook so I should probably sever.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

My 70 year old aunt messaged me on whatsapp out of the blue and proudly told me her other geriatric friends had told her about it and she set it up all by her lonesome on a piece of poo poo Android phone that came bundled with her mobile plan.

Can't imagine it happening with Telegram which I've never even loving heard of, but maybe it's a US thing.

Then again, she also has a Facebook so I should probably sever.

Nah, facebook is entirely for the elderly to keep track of their relatives.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Telegram is pretty popular, actually. In fact, if WhatsApp is banned in a country, Telegram's usage spikes hard because people go from WhatsApp to Telegram. I think that happened with Russia and Turkey last year. It slowed the servers down to a crawl with most of the banned country signing up at once.

Also, the Pixel 3 XL was leaked entirely on Telegram, ISIS has used it to recruit in the past, and it also only needs a phone number to sign up.

The real problem for Telegram isn't "but it's unknown" it's "but they ask for my phone number!!!!!" and it automatically pulls from your contacts and then, ANYONE with your number will know you have Telegram as it notifies them as soon as you sign on. Anyone. From what I remember from the sign-up, it doesn't let you use the app unless you give it access to Contacts.

This has turned off everyone I've mentioned it to.

But Facebook owning WhatsApp turns people off even faster...so that's why I have one friend and my boyfriend who refuse to use anything but Hangouts and SMS respectively while my other friends use Telegram and/or Discord.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Signal also has the same thing with contacts. I thought it was weird, until I realized anyone with my number also knows I use SMS and can contact me. It's secure, not anonymous.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm curious if you anti-WhatsApp people are in the US. For some reason the extreme level of popularity of WhatsApp never caught on in the same way there.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

For some reason the extreme level of popularity of WhatsApp never caught on in the same way there.

I believe that's cause the US is a majority iPhone country where there is no need for something like WhatsApp due to iMessage being basically that but better since it also does texts and comes pre-installed on every phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

I believe that's cause the US is a majority iPhone country where there is no need for something like WhatsApp due to iMessage being basically that but better since it also does texts and comes pre-installed on every phone.

Canada is an iPhone majority country and WhatsApp is still extremely popular here, so that's not it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

No it's because everyone had unlimited SMS by the time smartphones became ubiquitous so there was never a need to find ways around it since most people don't actually care about encryption (just look at people continuing to recommend Telegram lol), and few people are messaging people outside the US, while people in Europe might send to people in multiple countries (which doesn't really account for Canada, admittedly).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Canada is an iPhone majority country and WhatsApp is still extremely popular here, so that's not it.

iPhone got bigger in the US way before Canada. Also, I'd argue it's also age related as well. People in in the mid-30's right now grew up with iMessage, but the millennials probably grew up with WhatsApp since it's platform agnostic and cell carrier agnostic and Android has a much larger share with millenials than it did when we were the target market segment.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Again, there's more than one acceptable message solution and ironically none of them are Google authored even though they have 12.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good points, thank you

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I got my s9+ at release - coming from iphones for years - and one thing that's bothering me is that I have to restart every few days because the phone slows down to the point of being unusable. Interacting with Android Auto slows down first, but eventually typing in most apps is delayed by a few seconds and I have to reboot like it's Windows 98. Closing all apps doesn't help. Anything I can do to avoid what seems like a memory leak, or is proactive restarting just a thing to do?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
On the subject, I've had a bit of weirdness with Android Auto since I updated to Pie. I have it set to open when it connects to the bluetooth dongle in my car. The first time in a day (i.e. going to work) that I go to use it, it opens a notification saying it's starting and has a little animated bar, but takes longer than starting it by hand, so I just open it. Later on (going home) it opens fine. I assume it's some adaptive battery shenanigans, but it's kind of irritating.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Erwin posted:

I got my s9+ at release - coming from iphones for years - and one thing that's bothering me is that I have to restart every few days because the phone slows down to the point of being unusable. Interacting with Android Auto slows down first, but eventually typing in most apps is delayed by a few seconds and I have to reboot like it's Windows 98. Closing all apps doesn't help. Anything I can do to avoid what seems like a memory leak, or is proactive restarting just a thing to do?

So this kind of slowness unfortunately used to be common in Samsung devices, although since like the s7+ I haven't seen something like this. It also doesn't help that Android Auto is kind of rear end, code wise- even though it serves a good purpose. Given that your devices is literally a current gen flagship, I'd put the blame on Android Auto being lovely. Also, if you run Android Auto- the rest of your phone is going to run like rear end until you close it because it allocates like all RAM/CPU to android auto (i know it's not all, but it feels like it)

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

vyst posted:

So this kind of slowness unfortunately used to be common in Samsung devices, although since like the s7+ I haven't seen something like this. It also doesn't help that Android Auto is kind of rear end, code wise- even though it serves a good purpose. Given that your devices is literally a current gen flagship, I'd put the blame on Android Auto being lovely. Also, if you run Android Auto- the rest of your phone is going to run like rear end until you close it because it allocates like all RAM/CPU to android auto (i know it's not all, but it feels like it)

Hah, I thought I posted this in the Android thread, not the Android Apps thread, but I guess if Android Auto is the culprit it fits. Android Auto is so great and yet so frustrating. One of the big things I've noticed is that Google Maps and Waze within Android Auto, while tied to the same Google account, are often unaware of things I literally JUST searched for on my phone before getting into my car, which certainly points to some sort of technical separation between the way apps normally work. I'll just blame it on Android Auto and reboot once in a while.

FWIW after a fresh reboot, Android Auto starts in a few seconds and Apple CarPlay consistently takes a good 20 seconds or so no matter what. So there's that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endless Mike posted:

No it's because everyone had unlimited SMS by the time smartphones became ubiquitous so there was never a need to find ways around it since most people don't actually care about encryption (just look at people continuing to recommend Telegram lol), and few people are messaging people outside the US, while people in Europe might send to people in multiple countries (which doesn't really account for Canada, admittedly).

Yeah, the sheer cost of texting versus very cheap data packages in a lot of other countries was a huge factor for them picking up WhatsApp and others.

Incessant Excess posted:

I believe that's cause the US is a majority iPhone country

It absolutely is not, Android phones have outsold iPhone for over 7 years straight. And before that you had stuff like blackberry being big enough to come first.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In my mind, WhatsApp has all the disadvantages of Allo. It's tied to a phone number, no real-time cloud sync of messages, and it's not designed to be used across multiple devices.

I want a chat program that I can sit down at any one of my devices and continue the conversation, even mid chat. To this day, Hangouts still does that the best.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The only one I'd consider an actual competitive disadvantage is no real time sync. The rest are features built out already with perfectly acceptable user experiences.

The problem is you think everyone is you and has your technical acuity. But if i wanted to have my grandma sign up for WhatsApp and get started messaging it's a seamless experience which is the entire point of the original question

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

In my mind, WhatsApp has all the disadvantages of Allo. It's tied to a phone number, no real-time cloud sync of messages, and it's not designed to be used across multiple devices.

I want a chat program that I can sit down at any one of my devices and continue the conversation, even mid chat. To this day, Hangouts still does that the best.

Yup, I have always preferred Hangouts, but I literally only have 1 friend group of 4 people who use it, and 1 other person. That's it, I have it installed for just them :smith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pretty much everyone I know standardized on Hangouts when they ditched their iPhones 8 years ago. The only people who aren't in Hangouts are my parents and sister, but SMS is just fine for that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Pretty much everyone I know standardized on Hangouts when they ditched their iPhones 8 years ago. The only people who aren't in Hangouts are my parents and sister, but SMS is just fine for that.

I wish. I have 5 on Hangouts, like 2 on SMS (caveat being that the default for anyone new is SMS until we change to something else), 3 on Facebook messenger, and like 40+ and a dozen groups on whatsapp. It's really annoying to leave these apps installed just to communicate with those people. I dream of a combined app one day, or the elimination of all but one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maybe it's just me being a lol old (knocking on 40's door), but I can't even imagine having 40+ people that I would talk to on a regular basis.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I wish. I have 5 on Hangouts, like 2 on SMS (caveat being that the default for anyone new is SMS until we change to something else), 3 on Facebook messenger, and like 40+ and a dozen groups on whatsapp. It's really annoying to leave these apps installed just to communicate with those people. I dream of a combined app one day, or the elimination of all but one.

:rip: trillian

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ahem - Pidgin. :D

Trillian became bloated garbage, but it was so good in its AIM heyday.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I have good news, Telegram does this exceptionally well, better than anything I've ever used, it's the main reason I love it and recommend it. Better than hangouts/discord etc. Real-time message drafts, synced notifications (if you look at a message on one device the notifications go away on the others), and extremely fast native clients on every single platform. And even a web client, if you hate yourself for some reason.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Taffer posted:

I have good news, Telegram does this exceptionally well, better than anything I've ever used, it's the main reason I love it and recommend it. Better than hangouts/discord etc. Real-time message drafts, synced notifications (if you look at a message on one device the notifications go away on the others), and extremely fast native clients on every single platform. And even a web client, if you hate yourself for some reason.

Don't hate on web clients. I use the Pulse SMS web client to send texts all the time at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

But if it had a nice fast native app would you still want to use the web one?