Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

maskenfreiheit posted:

i found this exchange on hn

some say the hiring team is still waiting for HR to give them a candidate to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

maskenfreiheit posted:

if the recruiter say put 'unix' on your resume and you cant put 'unix' on your resume maybe life at facebook is not for you

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

PCjr sidecar posted:

if the recruiter say put 'unix' on your resume and you cant put 'unix' on your resume maybe life at facebook is not for you

nah man you gotta explain all the technical details because you're technically correct and people love feeling talked down to

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

PCjr sidecar posted:

if you can't read, maybe posting is not for you? he put 'UNIX' in the second version

he's 100% correct he had the experience they wanted & did his best to explain to this to the recruiter who was apparently denser than concrete

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Ploft-shell crab posted:

if you can't read, maybe posting is not for you? he put 'UNIX' in the second version

he's 100% correct he had the experience they wanted & did his best to explain to this to the recruiter who was apparently denser than concrete

:lol:

I did not see that the first time I read it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

or the recruiter had a specific string that had to match the resume for stupid reasons and was trying to hint that without editing his resume

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

or facebook gets a literal mountain of applicants and they'll cut you out for any arbitrary reason they can think of and there's nothing you can do about it

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
By contrast, the Facebook recruiter I talked with could chat at length about Linux's initrd mechanism.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a facebook recruiter has pinged me 3 times last month to try to get me to interview there

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

TerminalRaptor posted:

how common are non-technical development managers in a software company? I'm guessing not at all for obvious reasons.

exceptionally common

fortunately it's not really something my employer does: at least in the parts of the company I interact with, management can do line employees' jobs up through the senior VP level (and often has done them)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Facebook recruiters finally stopped bothering me after I said I don't want to work to an advertising company or a company when the users were the product

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
does it work, or is it as bad as I'd imagine?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Ploft-shell crab posted:

if u cant avoid well, actuallying a recruiter maybe u fail the first test

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

eschaton posted:

exceptionally common

fortunately it's not really something my employer does: at least in the parts of the company I interact with, management can do line employees' jobs up through the senior VP level (and often has done them)

at oldjob employees got real nervous when the bosses would try to figure out how to do their job

or what the gently caress their report's job was

now i just learn how to do my reports' jobs and if they get nervous i tell them it's so they can take loving vacations, for gently caress's sake

guess why i left oldjob

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

minato posted:

By contrast, the Facebook recruiter I talked with could chat at length about Linux's initrd mechanism.

:awesome: WELL ACTUALLY :awesome:

initrd is still supported but considered obsolete. initramfs is probably what you're thinking of.

eschaton posted:

Facebook recruiters finally stopped bothering me after I said I don't want to work to an advertising company or a company when the users were the product

yep instead you work for a company with more money than God and basically unchecked power over the machinery that a good chunk of the western world uses to interact with society itself. but that's cool because capitalism is awesome and the interests of the general public and this benevolent dictator cannot ever possibly come into conflict.

:cmon:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ability to bottle up your aspergers within a work environment should be a primary skill recruiters look for. this dude failed.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

so found out my team is getting resolved and there is a push for dev resources to be at corporate hq in the Midwest

Guess I have to nut up on that interview anxiety and find job and hopefully 6 figgies

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

extremely common

most of them claim to know how to code though :v:

Fairly common for a technical manager to be a guy who started out as a junior tech grunt, wasn't great at it, and thus moved into management to advance.

So they know a tiny bit, but basically only enough to be dangerous.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

TerminalRaptor posted:

how common are non-technical development managers in a software company? I'm guessing not at all for obvious reasons.

Echoing some earlier sentiment: but its extremely common and extremely annoying.

I've never had a good manager that couldn't program, and never had a bad manager that could. Not that a bad manager-who-could-program couldn't exist, but HR/the interview process is good at filtering out the weirdos; figuring out how much technical experience a manager has (or should have, some places don't even think its important which is even more mind boggling) is the hard part.

So anyway, you'll be fine. If you interviewed here and kept your programming skills even remotely up to date and weren't a weirdo, it'd be a no brain hire.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

a manager who knows how to program but refuses to get out of the way and still wants to touch the code is possibly one of the worst kinds of managers possible.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

*sees a technical recruiter being more useless than a poorly written regex field validator*

"boy that kid is such a sperg huh" :smug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

hmm, pedantic tech dork cant figure out how to interact with humans. how surprising.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

recruiters for technical positions are usually the worst because they clearly just have some keywords they are looking for and don't really know anything about the actual skills.

however, knowing this, the smart thing to do is just edit you're resume to fit the keywords they are looking for.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Had the on-site interview at Amazon today, I think it went well.

Saw all scheduled interviewers, and was getting the vibe that I was "clicking" with everyone. Hopefully I hear back from the recruiter soon with an update.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
my worst-ever boss was a technology guy

so was my best

don't tech shame I guess?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i'm a technology guy and also a boss of 3 people. my strategy is to lead through inspiration, i want to do good work so they aspire to that standard, and so far this has worked great. i also take an active interest in their career development, make sure they are engaged on the projects they're working on, etc. if they ever need anything or want to come in late because of whatever my response is "ok cool"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaggar posted:

hmm, pedantic tech dork cant figure out how to interact with humans. how surprising.

*Ahem* *clears throat* *adjusts glasses and brushes metrosexual haircut out of eyes* do you even know what POSIX is? loving noob?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i'm a technology guy and also a boss of 3 people. my strategy is to lead through inspiration, i want to do good work so they aspire to that standard, and so far this has worked great. i also take an active interest in their career development, make sure they are engaged on the projects they're working on, etc. if they ever need anything or want to come in late because of whatever my response is "ok cool"

Managing people owns until you end up managing people who consistently fail to do what is asked of them

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
yeah i'm lucky because i just don't allow those people on my team :)

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I had one guy who joined a cult. That was fun. I was able to fob the other one off to support engineering.

I hated the admin stuff, though.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

qhat posted:

Managing people owns until you end up managing people who consistently fail to do what is asked of them

that's when you're supposed to PDP them and/or fire them

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

Haven't had to go as far as fire anyone yet, but I don't really get a hard on thinking about being the guy who has break it to them.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

JewKiller 3000 posted:

yeah i'm lucky because i just don't allow those people on my team :)

The rub is you can't know whether they are a lazy dipshit until they are actually in your team.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
firing somebody is an absolutely wretched feeling 99% of the time, agreed.

sometimes ya gotta jettison the dead weight tho

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

just don't dec me

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the best life is being a lazy dipshit who still exceeds expectations somehow