Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PetraCore posted:

I love that one is pretty close, but my favorite has to be...

I'mma chargin' mah lazer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Is there a "Help me find a comic thread" like movies and what not?

Either way, if someone can help me find an old Maakies comic (even if it is in whichever collection) which is something like "Vacations compared by the classes" with a wealthy dude in a resort, well off person in a garden, and then Uncle Gabby sitting on a barrel of morning glory seeds(maybe) tripping his rear end off. I'm really bad at finding things

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
{un}Divine is back!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Hi guys. We have a monthly(ish) art contest in CC called the Artdome where people submit art based on a prompt created by the previous month's winner. Unlike the Thunderdome (same thing but for short stories) there's no penalty for losing, so it's just a fun, low-stakes way to share and get feedback on your work. This month's prompt is about creating comic pages so I figured I'd pop in here and see if anyone might be interested.

Here's a link to the prompt itself if anybody is interested:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890426&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=14#post502640914

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

oh no you played teh sportsball eek unclean blah blah Revenge of the Nerds whatever.

Didn't the nerds rape someone in that movie?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

Didn't the nerds rape someone in that movie?

A woman has sex with a man in a mask whom she thinks is her boyfriend. Later it is revealed to her that it's someone else. She is fine with this, because he was good at The Sex.

Far more creepy is when they set up hidden cameras in the sorority and sell the resulting nude photos at a public event.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Basically revenge of the nerds is about how a bunch of football players, with the faculty doing nothing, take it upon themselves to try to drive a cabal of sex offenders off and protect their girlfriends who are being preyed upon.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

MikeJF posted:

Basically revenge of the nerds is about how a bunch of football players, with the faculty doing nothing, take it upon themselves to try to drive a cabal of sex offenders off and protect their girlfriends who are being preyed upon.

Yeah.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Most "classic" comedies have aged pretty poorly

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

TwoPair posted:

Young Frankenstein still slaps.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

True. There was way more sexual assault in Police Academy when I re-visited it when it went on Hulu the first time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

habeasdorkus posted:

I'd say that parts of Blazing Saddles are actually even funnier now.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Dawgstar posted:

True. There was way more sexual assault in Police Academy when I re-visited it when it went on Hulu the first time.
I wanted to say I appreciate your avatar, even if Ravage is really more of a catstar.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sixteen Candles is still held up as a kind of ideal romantic movie and it's just as bad about rape as Revenge of the Nerds.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd say that parts of Blazing Saddles are actually even funnier now.

Blazing Saddles ALSO holds up pretty well, but there's a couple parts that made me raise my eyebrow the last time I watched it 5 or so years back. Whereas there's only one part of Young Frankenstein, off the top of my head, that would need a change to bring it up to current mores. I could be forgetting other parts, tho.

Ghostbusters is still more or less OK, except for the whole ghost blowjob part.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
that Ghost Blowjob was never for anyone but Dan

Also Abbott And Costello Meets Frankenstein has aged wonderfully I'll note

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Blazing Saddles could do without the Hollywood gay jokes near the end. Rest is still great.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ghostbusters does give Venkman a lot of leeway for being a sex pest. He does have some boundaries so it's not the worst but he's reaaaally pushing it for the "lovable cad" role that the movie frames him as.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Straight White Shark posted:

Ghostbusters does give Venkman a lot of leeway for being a sex pest. He does have some boundaries so it's not the worst but he's reaaaally pushing it for the "lovable cad" role that the movie frames him as.

I think it manages to get away with it because he's never, ever successful.

He's a perennial gently caress up who the sequel reveals couldn't even maintain whatever relationship he tried to get.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My favorite movie that doesn't even hold up in premise is Mrs. Doubtfire. Blame nostalgia and it entering my life in a time when I really needed it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

He's a perennial gently caress up who the sequel reveals couldn't even maintain whatever relationship he tried to get.
Yeah, but that's just so both movies can have a romance plot and Sigourney Weaver's character can remain relevant. It's still written as a pleasant and desirable thing from the audience's perspective that he gets with her in the end.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, the racial and class metaphors in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? are a bit ham-handed now (especially with, IIRC, literally the entire human cast being white), but no less relevant.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, the racial and class metaphors in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? are a bit ham-handed now (especially with, IIRC, literally the entire human cast being white), but no less relevant.

Baby Huey sexually assaulting a PA on camera the first time we see him, though... I mean, it's accurate to Hollywood past and present? Still a much funnier film and holds up way better than most 1980s comedies.

Hostile V posted:

Blazing Saddles could do without the Hollywood gay jokes near the end. Rest is still great.

That's exactly the scene I was thinking of. Though even there you have the dancer yelling "you brute!" as he enters the tunnel accosted by a bandit and them walking out together. I was also thinking the sexual stereotyping of black dudes, but that's (at least comparatively) less obviously offensive. I could go for some schnitzengruben, tho.

The Young Frankenstein scene I was thinking about is the very much not enthusiastic consent between the Monster and Frankenstein's fiance.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 25, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Burkion posted:

Also because when he's faced with the woman he desires coming onto him but she can't consent (because she's possessed) he's not a creep.

Going back even further, I haven't watched Bringing Up Baby and Some Like It Hot in over a decade, but I recall both of those being surprisingly good on those issues - especially compared to the 1970s and 1980s sex comedies that've been referenced. Ofc, again, I might not be remembering them clearly.

I think what this segue has shown is that there's plenty of good older comedies that remain really funny, and in plenty of cases still outre, so long as they're not made by dumbasses.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Burkion posted:

Also Abbott And Costello Meets Frankenstein has aged wonderfully I'll note

chiming in to say this is one of the best movies ever made and i hope someday i can stream it again for people so they understand my obsession with this one specific movie

habeasdorkus posted:

Also because when he's faced with the woman he desires coming onto him but she can't consent (because she's possessed) he's not a creep.

Going back even further, I haven't watched Bringing Up Baby and Some Like It Hot in over a decade, but I recall both of those being surprisingly good on those issues - especially compared to the 1970s and 1980s sex comedies that've been referenced. Ofc, again, I might not be remembering them clearly.

I think what this segue has shown is that there's plenty of good older comedies that remain really funny, and in plenty of cases still outre, so long as they're not made by dumbasses.

"some like it hot" is still pretty drat good in 2020 which is shocking given the premise and time period. when it could be cruel, it pulls back and the jokes are not at the expense of the cross-dressing leads for their looks or behavior but their ever towering stack of cons and lies they are trying to run at the same time without everything toppling over

fun hater fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 25, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Straight White Shark posted:

I have seen some people who genuinely believe Venkman was into date rape because of the thorazine thing and what's much more likely is Dan Aykroyd thought psychologists could prescribe drugs like psychiatrists could.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

habeasdorkus posted:

yeah i love the part where the monster forces himself sexually on a woman but then it's fine because he is good at sex

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
New SleepyDom page, in which Harley is going to clock Cassidy next page. Just look at her face.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mikl posted:

New SleepyDom page, in which Harley is going to clock Cassidy next page. Just look at her face.
Even the alt text is dunking on Cassidy now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The depth of field effect in the last panel is pretty nice. It, quite literally, brings the focus on Undine, who would otherwise be easily overlooked given how she's in the background and not one of the active figures.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

40 minutes of Cassidy's call out video was definitely spent on twisting Vedika's intent and words

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just for the record: last time Undine was trying to hide something from Vedika, namely she thought back at Kokoro saying (re: Vedika) "I think she's too self-conscious" and immediately after "Wait I shouldn't think about that".

Also lol the alt-text for the page a few pages after the one above in which Vedika explains that she can "see all kinds of [unconcious thoughts]" is "Cool, I'm sure this won't be relevant ever!" :allears:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 26, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mikl posted:

Just for the record: last time Undine was trying to hide something from Vedika, namely she thought back at Kokoro saying (re: Vedika) "I think she's too self-conscious" and immediately after "Wait I shouldn't think about that".

Also lol the alt-text for the page a few pages after the one above in which Vedika explains that she can "see all kinds of [unconcious thoughts]" is "Cool, I'm sure this won't be relevant ever!" :allears:
Time to broach some personal bubbles as Cassidy flings vedika into undine

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I enjoyed Undine drying her eyes.

Mikl posted:

I assumed the alt-text was about things getting trippy if she touches someone.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tenebrais posted:

I enjoyed Undine drying her eyes.
I would definitely use water powers to clean up my tears.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Undine is the champion winner of staring contests, because she can subtly make your eyes extremely dry.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I want to imagine this is the part where they finally get together and discuss how messed up everything is, but it feels like it's more likely that folks are gonna start throwing down with Cassidy.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Bobulus posted:

Undine is the champion winner of staring contests, because she can subtly make your eyes extremely dry.

I now have the terrifying image of her pulling water into her own eyes during a starting contest

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I didn't expect Vedika to also be a jerk. Telling other people about stuff you picked up via mind reading practice is pretty lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wittgen posted:

I didn't expect Vedika to also be a jerk. Telling other people about stuff you picked up via mind reading practice is pretty lovely.

Yeah that's a big breach of trust. Wouldn't ever mind link with her again if I found that out.