Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Geo guesser can be cooperative or adversarial.

Guess where you are in the world based on street view.

There's also virtual escape rooms or even video game escape rooms like escape room simulator.

Solve puzzles to get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I can confirm, Stardew Valley works perfectly on Macs, I play regularly on a 2011 iMac.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Cooperative board games using websites or tabletop simulator are a blast.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

In western (or at least English language) sources, why are Chinese and Korean names given in native name order so much more consistently than Japanese names?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen “Jinping Xi” or “Jae-in Moon” but I see “Yoshihide Suga” and “Shinzo Abe” all the time.

During the Meiji era there was significant industrialization and westernization. Many ruling-class Japanese people made a conscious choice during the Meiji era to use western name order in western languages, similar to how they also adopted western dress. This ended up going into government policy and culture at large. China and Korea simply didn't choose to do that, so they never a developed a western-name order culture when dealing with outsiders.

However very recently (2019) Japan announced intention to use Japanese name order in western language governmental press releases going forward. So if you look at the English version of the government of Japan's website you can find things like calling the Prime Minister "Fumio Kushida" but also showing a recent press release titled "Speech from Kushida Fumio"

Some western language publications have followed suit already, but others have not. So while the culture is still there it may slowly change - Shohei Ohtani and Ichiro Suzuki will probably always choose to use that name order in the US for recognition, but maybe one day soon there will be a player that won't.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jeza posted:

What are some fun co-operative things to do with a partner over Discord? COVID is putting paid to anything outside for the next few weeks where I'm at. They aren't really a gamer but not totally uninitiated, so it's possible so long as it's relatively simplistic and can run on their old Mac laptop.

I'm sort of envisioning something we can both view on our screens simultaneously while chatting, whatever that might entail. Already simulwatch TV stuff on occasion, but it's a bit non-interactive.

Bog standard or slightly off the wall suggestions welcome, tia.

Have you tried Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes?
It's a co-operative videogame where one player stares at all the internal guts of a bomb while the other person has the manual, and you basically have to talk them through all the "cut the blue wire" stuff over the phone.
The gameplay part is mechanically simplistic, just pressing buttons or cutting wires etc, so it should be easy to get into for someone who doesn't really play other videogames. The actual hard part is knowing which wire to cut which is all about communication.
There's also a phone version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkdbzFV1NoQ

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
what's the rule in english for when contractions are acceptable? like if you were teaching a non-native speaker

e.g. you might say "i have aids" but not "i've aids," and you might respond to a question with "i am" but never just "i'm"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a thread for quitting your job gracefully? Where would I go to ask questions about that?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Thank you for some sharp suggestions, will definitely give a bunch of them a shake. I think Stardew Valley is an excellent shout, as they have played and enjoyed Animal Crossing and it seems like a similar wheelhouse.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

what's the rule in english for when contractions are acceptable? like if you were teaching a non-native speaker

e.g. you might say "i have aids" but not "i've aids," and you might respond to a question with "i am" but never just "i'm"

I think this is a matter of register and this website has some perspective and tips on teaching register.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

butt dickus posted:

you might respond to a question with "i am" but never just "i'm"

A good rule of thumb for this one is that you don't end a sentence with a contraction.

There's a few circumstances where this works("Can you work late today?" -> "I can't."), but there's a lot more where it results in things like answering "Who's working late today?" with "I'm" or "You're" or "We're".

EDIT: I remembered the "I've" thing. The contraction is really only used when 'have' is an auxiliary verb. So you might say "I've got one of those" or "I've taken that road" or the like, but never "I've a hammer" or "I've to go home now.".

Khizan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 6, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

tuyop posted:

I think this is a matter of register and this website has some perspective and tips on teaching register.
i'm talking more about how a native speaker knows when it "sounds right" to use a contraction, kind of like adjective order
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTm1tJYr5_M

tom scott also has a video about registers

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Khizan posted:

A good rule of thumb for this one is that you don't end a sentence with a contraction.

I sure don't.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

I sure don't.

Oh no you didn’t!

Anyways, to leave a job gracefully just put in a two week notice and don’t be an rear end on the way out. Serious answer. If you can’t leave a two week notice, no biggie, but some companies won’t rehire you if you do that. If you don’t plan on coming back that is a non issue.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

butt dickus posted:

I respond with "I'm." all the time.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

LuckyCat posted:

Oh no you didn’t!

Anyways, to leave a job gracefully just put in a two week notice and don’t be an rear end on the way out. Serious answer. If you can’t leave a two week notice, no biggie, but some companies won’t rehire you if you do that. If you don’t plan on coming back that is a non issue.

True, although it may also depend on whether you want to use that job as a reference in future. If you suddenly leave without notice, you may not be able to use that employer as a reference later. And this also depends to some extent on what kind of job it is--is it the kind of job where people come and go regularly? How easy would it be to replace you or have someone else take on your duties? etc. If you're one of a number of essentially interchangeable IT support people, for example, notice may not be a big deal because it would be relatively easy for someone to replace you. On the other hand, if you're the only person who knows how to maintain a critical piece of software, leaving suddenly probably won't be appreciated (and your exit probably won't be "graceful").

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Khizan posted:

There's a few circumstances where this works("Can you work late today?" -> "I can't."), but there's a lot more where it results in things like answering "Who's working late today?" with "I'm" or "You're" or "We're".

EDIT: I remembered the "I've" thing. The contraction is really only used when 'have' is an auxiliary verb. So you might say "I've got one of those" or "I've taken that road" or the like, but never "I've a hammer" or "I've to go home now.".

Auxiliary grammar nonsense is the worst thing we've.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Nevermind. I figured it out.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 6, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Khizan posted:

never "I've a hammer"

I think some British dialects would say this

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

alnilam posted:

I think some British dialects would say this

Not just British; it's super common.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Really glad I got to learn English the easy way. Probably not as glad as if I'd been born in one of those countries that teaches you multiple languages from an early age so you have those skill for life, but it's something.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

i'm talking more about how a native speaker knows when it "sounds right" to use a contraction, kind of like adjective order
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTm1tJYr5_M

tom scott also has a video about registers

Yeah I'm sorry. The closest I've come to ESL is being turned down for a job teaching english online and failing to sign up for an ESL certification course. That adjectival order stuff is very interesting, though!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tiggum posted:

Not just British; it's super common.

I'd say among non-brits (and maybe non-aussies etc) you hear it more often from hoity-toity-ish sorts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

non-brits (and maybe non-aussies etc)

Just say Americans.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
is there an A/T thread for renters somewhere that i overlooked?

edit; i think i found it

stone soup fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 6, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've noticed that when I go to bed, if I tuck my sheet in too high, so that it's making contact with my neck, then I tend to get nauseated a few minutes later. What on earth could be causing this?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tiggum posted:

Just say Americans.

There are English speakers out there besides Brits, Aussies, and Americans.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

butt dickus posted:

In US English, people don’t contract “have” when it means “am in possession of” but do when it’s an auxiliary verb.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

In US English, people don’t contract “have” when it means “am in possession of” but do when it’s an auxiliary verb.

"I've no more bananas" is, at least, a spoken sentence that would be consistent with US English. I think it'd probably be written as "I have no more bananas" though.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"I've no more bananas" is, at least, a spoken sentence that would be consistent with US English. I think it'd probably be written as "I have no more bananas" though.

If someone from the US said "I've no more bananas," I'd think it was pure affectation like they're an anglophile or something. But i could be wrong, maybe there are US dialects where that's common. Only a proper linguist could say for sure :hai:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

alnilam posted:

If someone from the US said "I've no more bananas," I'd think it was pure affectation like they're an anglophile or something. But i could be wrong, maybe there are US dialects where that's common. Only a proper linguist could say for sure :hai:

If someone from the US said "I've a banana up my butt" it would seem perfectly reasonable.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I've noticed that when I go to bed, if I tuck my sheet in too high, so that it's making contact with my neck, then I tend to get nauseated a few minutes later. What on earth could be causing this?
I get this too sometimes! I have no useful info for you, but know that you're not alone.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

"I've no more bananas" is, at least, a spoken sentence that would be consistent with US English.

alnilam posted:

If someone from the US said "I've no more bananas," I'd think it was pure affectation like they're an anglophile or something.

yeah pretty sure most americans would say it as "i've got no more bananas" or in some cases "i don't got any more bananas". maybe there are some southern dialects where it's "i've no more" but that would be pretty rare

i have heard americans say "i've a notion" though, which is the same construction, again just in the south

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 6, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There are tons of ways i could imagine Americans expressing the depletion of bananas. "I don't have [any/no] more bananas" or "I [ain't/don't] got no bananas," both seem very typical, to me, though they are of varying degrees of what a schoolteacher might call "correct." But it would strike me as very strange to hear one saying "I've no more bananas" as the beginning of this discussion claimed would be the typical US way to say it.

In conclusion
https://youtu.be/TrkgzbIjJdg

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Trapick posted:

I get this too sometimes! I have no useful info for you, but know that you're not alone.

That's good to hear! It at least substantially reduces the odds that this is a psychosomatic response :v: Now if only we knew what the hell it was.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

alnilam posted:

Lmao British people don't talk like this either

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
But americans doing lovely fake english accents do

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What VPN provider should I choose? Is it reasonable to just pick the cheapest one that has kind of a brand name or are there certain features I should be looking out for?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

What VPN provider should I choose? Is it reasonable to just pick the cheapest one that has kind of a brand name or are there certain features I should be looking out for?

Mullvad VPN is generally the answer I hear for that question.

"Not Nord VPN" is the other most common answer. A lot of people seem to think they're a honeypot, and it would make sense, given their price and their marketing.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I use Tunnelbear, which has always been good for me.

also lol that Lowtax had a NordVPN deal for SA users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

ProtonVPN is likely reliable, it's by the same folks as ProtonMail and has a good reputation.

What's your use case? It's worth noting a lot of the advertisements from VPN companies are sort of BS, it's not going to increase your "privacy" or "security" a huge amount, although it probably will let you avoid DMCA letters if you do :filez: and bypass geo restrictions and stuff.