Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Shi/Bushi is for Yagyu Darkblade combo and nothing else
Monk/Bushi for Holy nukes (And slightly more interesting than WHM, though Monk and Knight also sound fun)

Most people use Time Mage for the magic only but I wanna use it primarily for bolts so I want something to complement that (Breaker or Uhlan maybe?)

I purposefully left out WHM to make the party more exotic

I say Uhlan. My Uhlan/Time Battlemage Penelo works really well--she has good elemental damage coverage with spears and status effects with bolts.

I'm conflicted on Monk/Bushi here. You're right that it'll give you good Holy nukes, but Monk/Black Mage or Monk/Red Mage would be even better because it also gives you a bunch of useful spells to use throughout the game. But Monk/Bushi also gives you the Genji Glove, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Uhlan/Time Mage is awesome. You get a lot of Battle Lores so you hit very hard. It's currently my strongest character.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Are there any really horrible job combos?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Literally impossible, because the game was balanced around having one job.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Norns posted:

Monk/Uhlan seems kind of pointless as a combo I guess?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Norns posted:

There are combos that don't really add anything to one another, but because the game was balanced around having only one job, literally any combo of two jobs is better than anything you could have done in IZJS.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Here's my final setup after going an hour in with my 2nd jobs and then reloading a save after not liking them:

Vaan: Shikari/Bushi
Balthier: Foebreaker/Shikari
Ashe: Black Mage/Red Battlemage
Penelo: White Mage/Shikari
Basch: Knight/Time Battlemage
Fran: Machinist/White Mage

I have my focused damage dealers (Vaan, Balthier) and some melee + utility (Basch), all of which can equip genji gear. I have my dedicated nuking mage with a lot of versatility (Ashe), and two healers who aren't too squishy and can do a bit of damage without wasting their MP (Fran, Penelo).

You'll notice I'm leaving out Uhlan, Archer, and Monk. I just didn't feel like any of them added any functionality that wasn't better covered by these combos. Is there something I'm missing about those three classes that's really unique?

On a similar note, if I had to go back and star the game over, I probably wouldn't make Fran a Machinist, or maybe even take one at all. I'm not really seeing the real power they have other than the cool factor of wielding guns. Is there something unique about them I'm missing?

And yes, yes, I know the game isn't hard enough for that to really matter, I just really like exploring class systems and finding the interesting powers/combos in games.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rotten Red Rod posted:

On a similar note, if I had to go back and star the game over, I probably wouldn't make Fran a Machinist, or maybe even take one at all. I'm not really seeing the real power they have other than the cool factor of wielding guns. Is there something unique about them I'm missing?
It's not relevant for regular runs but the gun damage formula is really weird - it ignores defense and deals a fixed amount of base damage - so it can be good for low level games and speedruns and weird stuff like that. It ends up basically being a detriment in regular runs because other weapons are doing cooler better things with real damage formulae once you get strong enough.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Whoever said that FF12 is their favorite idle clicker. Hell, same.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Here's my final setup after going an hour in with my 2nd jobs and then reloading a save after not liking them:

I have my focused damage dealers (Vaan, Balthier) and some melee + utility (Basch), all of which can equip genji gear. I have my dedicated nuking mage with a lot of versatility (Ashe), and two healers who aren't too squishy and can do a bit of damage without wasting their MP (Fran, Penelo).

You'll notice I'm leaving out Uhlan, Archer, and Monk. I just didn't feel like any of them added any functionality that wasn't better covered by these combos. Is there something I'm missing about those three classes that's really unique?

Monk gets a whole mess of HP and Battle Lores (like 3000 HP and 16 Battle Lores), which makes it a good supplement to Bushi. Uhlan gets lots of HP, Battle Lores and Heavy Armor, and better weapons than Foebreaker (though it obviously lacks the Breaks). Archers... um... it seems like a lot of early hunts reward you with really good bows?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Archer has great item lores and three Swiftness licenses, but it's nothing too special, I don't think. Uhlan is "Knight, with spears and less useful magick." Those spears do hit very hard, and they're the only ones who can use the Zodiac Spear, but you're not missing anything too exciting.

Monk, on the other hand, is, as far as I'm concerned, "Knight, but better." Poles are a great combo weapon with a built-in evasion boost, they get a truly ridiculous amount of HP licenses, and they get great healing magic (even without Espers) and Holy. Monk owns a whole lot. It is really similar to Knight, but in my opinion it's even better.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ehh, not really. They get Hastega in the endgame?

I have found that my Machinist/Foebreaker has been a great mid-to-late game damage dealer, though. After she applies a couple breaks, I just slap on an appropriate elemental ammo, use Berserk on her, and she does great damage. Eventually my other characters will do better (my Black Mage already does better, honestly), but for a while, she's a DPS star.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 23, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is this giant tower I'm climbing nearly the end of the game?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Is this giant tower I'm climbing nearly the end of the game?

If its a lighthouse, yes. There is basically just a tedious 2 or so screen "dungeon" between you and the final boss once tou complete it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, didn't realise I was that close. There's no way of saving past the point of no return or anything right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ripley posted:

D-pad left/right while holding L1 to change between 2x and 4x

Right stick up/down to zoom in and out

oh my god thank you so loving much

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Huh, didn't realise I was that close. There's no way of saving past the point of no return or anything right?

I don't remember, but the point of no return is a trip to a very large airship after the tower. I don't remember if you can save in there or not, but you can safely finish the tower.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And yes, yes, I know the game isn't hard enough for that to really matter, I just really like exploring class systems and finding the interesting powers/combos in games.

Why not give her a measure then so she'll dodge everything

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

just beat yiazmat

jesus gently caress

at least 4x speed made it only take about half an hour :shepicide: I setup my gambits in such a way that the only slowdown was if my shikari died and didn't get immediately ressed and it gave me the "PICK A NEW PARTY LEADER" screen.

yiazmat tips for anyone dumb enough to try it:
- shellga always. Yiazmat spams an instant death attack on a random person. If you don't have shell, you have a 5% chance of living. If you do, it's a 50% chance.
- one dedicated dps (shikari with yagyu + genji gloves + black robes), one dedicated healbot, one buffer/debuffer. Dispel, arise, shellga, cureja gambits in that order
- addle / wither / the other technicks help a lot
- get ready for a lot of wind damage. Normally a single healer with bubble belt after some addles is probably enough. Then yiazmat's level doubles and you get slammed for 13k damage. If you react fast you can swap people to wind resistant items then swap your dps back to genji gloves.
-Get 99 hi ethers. I used about 35 but you might use more. You can buy them from the secret shop in necrohul after pharos
- If you sit near the entrance you can quickly run out and abuse autosave / rebuff etc. Be fast or yiazmat starts to rebuff/heal. If you're weird you can use ranged weapons only and yiazmat can't hit you. It takes forevvvvver without yagyu though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Get Umaro. Yeti owns

Maybe as a party member but as a boss, gently caress that was annoying. My own fault for trying to level up my B-Team of Relm, the Figaro Brothers and Mog but they got some good levels and stuff and i hear I'll need them. Also Mog said I need him for that fight and he'd be a great help if his AI wasn't getting me murdered by constantly using Sand Storm instead of Mirage. Yeti counters every attack after a while and when Mog's AI insists on using the useless Sand Storm, he's just making it so poor Relm and Sabin get annihilated.

At least I had the Iceguard for Relm so she could heal from its Blizzard.

So yeah, Mog can gently caress off to the worthless realm with Edge, Cait Sith and...I dunno, Kimahri. Although I hear he's good so whatever.

I got Shadow and Gau back. Well, I found Shadow but he's not with me in my party again yet.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Mog's a pretty good dragoon though if I remember right, if you equip that particular set of equipment on him. He only has 2 good dances I think, which eventually fall behind if I remember right.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe as a party member but as a boss, gently caress that was annoying. My own fault for trying to level up my B-Team of Relm, the Figaro Brothers and Mog but they got some good levels and stuff and i hear I'll need them. Also Mog said I need him for that fight and he'd be a great help if his AI wasn't getting me murdered by constantly using Sand Storm instead of Mirage. Yeti counters every attack after a while and when Mog's AI insists on using the useless Sand Storm, he's just making it so poor Relm and Sabin get annihilated.

So yeah, Mog can gently caress off to the worthless realm with Edge, Cait Sith and...I dunno, Kimahri. Although I hear he's good so whatever.

I got Shadow and Gau back. Well, I found Shadow but he's not with me in my party again yet.

mog is the most important character

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Why are ff13 and ff15 so much worse than 12

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

The Moogle Charm makes Mog's Jump land almost immediately and makes him great at both physical dragooning or even rod+jumping with a magic build.

Also, Smoke Bombs/Image are borderline OP and can neuter physical bosses like Yeti. BNW has a number of bosses that are cakewalks for those that make full use of defensive spells/summons (Fenrir and Golem are really loving good), but people who just attack get kicked in the junk.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 24, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Norns posted:

they don't have Montblanc

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Corvinus posted:

The Moogle Charm makes Mog's Jump land almost immediately and makes him great at both physical dragooning or even rod+jumping with a magic build.

Also, Smoke Bombs/Image are borderline OP and can neuter physical bosses like Yeti. BNW has a number of bosses that are cakewalks for those that make full use of defensive spells/summons (Fenrir and Golem are really loving good), but people who just attack get kicked in the junk.

I am happy to buff and debuff (SMT taught me well) but Mog is just a liability with his Dances. Not as bad as Gau but I do not like having any character on autopilot. Everyone must do what I want when I want because only iknow what iwant and what i did not want was for Mog to continually attack Yeti when all he had to do was use Mirage.

I could use him as a Dragoon like you noted but I have a huge cast to choose from and I couldn't care less who is technially the best. I play who is most fun to me. (If they have an interesting personality or character, that also helps)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
does dance work differently in bnw or something? because in vanilla, you could always just use a dance that doesn't suck, and is always good, like the plains one.

also applying universal targeting to anything that isn't merton or crusader is pretty poo poo tier

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Norns posted:

why is 12 so much worse than 10

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

But it's not?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

why is 12 so much worse than 10

because you weren't a teenager by the time 12 came out

Norns posted:

But it's not?

10 doesn't have that goddamn lighthouse so by default 12 is far worse

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

pllease go back and play vanilla ff12 before claiming its better than other thhings thx u

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I am happy to buff and debuff (SMT taught me well) but Mog is just a liability with his Dances. Not as bad as Gau but I do not like having any character on autopilot. Everyone must do what I want when I want because only iknow what iwant and what i did not want was for Mog to continually attack Yeti when all he had to do was use Mirage.

I could use him as a Dragoon like you noted but I have a huge cast to choose from and I couldn't care less who is technially the best. I play who is most fun to me. (If they have an interesting personality or character, that also helps)

Moogle Charm also interrupts Dance so you can change up Mog's Dances or do other things before going back to Dancing. You sorta whoopsed by waiting to pick up Shadow or Gau as those are the only two reliable ways to reapply Image.

Edit: Wait, Strago's Refract gives reflect+image.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 24, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

pllease go back and play vanilla ff12 before claiming its better than other thhings thx u

FFX and FFXII are completely different games; too different to really be fairly compared.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

All I know is this is my favorite battle system in a while. Quickenings do kinda feel like they didn't know what to do with limit breaks tho

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

because you weren't a teenager by the time 12 came out

10 doesn't have that goddamn lighthouse so by default 12 is far worse

Maybe if Spira had a light house Sin wouldn't keep bumping into poo poo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

FF10: fight your dad ghost man

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFX still has my favorite equipment system in the series. I loved that weapons and armor weren't just a straight line of number upgrades with occasional elemental properties that you still won't use because higher attack or defense is too good to pass up. Sure, you can get crazy endgame gear if you're doing all the post game bosses, but for the vast majority of the game, weapons and armor are situational and not linear upgrades, and that's cool.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Norns posted:

FF10: fight your dad ghost man

ff12: the impossibly bad trading minigame is required to progress the plot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Norns posted:

12 would literally be worse than 3 if 4x speed didn't make the game bareable

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

ff12: the impossibly bad trading minigame is required to progress the plot

On the bright side, I think they drastically cut down how much is required in the Zodiac versions. I remembered it taking forever but I only had to do 3 trades this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Why are you playing a game you hate so much?