Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm sick for car maps

What the gently caress is going on with Turkey and Romania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What the gently caress is a passenger car?

Also, I'm Batman.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

What the gently caress is a passenger car?

Also, I'm Batman.
A car... for carrying passengers

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm sick for car maps

Something from another thread I dug up a while ago:

https://pdf.sciencedirectassets.com...54439e7bc4f411f

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've had like a dozen accidents outside of my apartment this year so far, and have been hit twice since i moved to turkey by vehicles going down the wrong lane on my two lane road because I was foolish enough to assume I only needed to worry about cars going the right direction. I don't know anybody who owns a vehicle though.

e: part of living in turkey is just accepting that your gonna die young because a durum delivery bike or a taxi ferrying a saudi oil prince ran you down.

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 7, 2023

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Eastern European Portugal strikes again.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Grape posted:

Eastern European Portugal strikes again.

Wallonia suka blyat

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Ras Het posted:

Wallonia suka blyat

That's all Portuguese commuting into Luxembourg.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SlothfulCobra posted:

theyre the thailand of europe. nobody knows anyone who owns a car but everyone knows someone who died from one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://twitter.com/FinnFolklorist/status/1655221820272832516?s=19

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/protestantwind/status/1655312551083638791

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Best argument against terraforming Mars so far

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a weird mix of real and fake people. Ponce de Leon and Jean Lafitte just right there with Paul Bunyan, John Henry, Paul Bunyan, and Johnny Appleseed.

"Mormons."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mormons aren't real and they can't hurt us.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a weird mix of real and fake people. Ponce de Leon and Jean Lafitte just right there with Paul Bunyan, John Henry, Paul Bunyan, and Johnny Appleseed.
Johnny Appleseed was real. :eng101:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fun fact: planting apples from seed doesn't tend to grow apples that are edible, due to the way their genetics works. The ones you eat are all grafted from the extremely rare random combos that pop up. And John Chapman was a part of a religious movement that actually thought grafting was against God's will (he was a traveling evangelist, and planting apple trees earned him the good will to make people listen to him preach).

What you can do with seed-grown apples, however, is make hard cider. And that's what John Chapman was giving people: the ability to brew their own booze and get sloshed. :patriot:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Is the charter oak really known outside of Connecticut?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Once every other week or so we get this girl at our apartments offering us a Book of Mormon. They are real, and they are providing psychic damage. Look at the map chickadee, it's grey and it's going to stay grey here. Not even Utah wants your silly book

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I don't think that the base map they used is the Mars map? Hypothetical scenarios where Mars has an ocean (again) has its entire north pole underwater.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Once every other week or so we get this girl at our apartments offering us a Book of Mormon. They are real, and they are providing psychic damage. Look at the map chickadee, it's grey and it's going to stay grey here. Not even Utah wants your silly book

Mormons are fairly comparatively ok as far as religious fanatics go, no? The seem to be more focused on helping communities than conversion by suicide bombing or beheading.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Seen in the recent Captain Disillusion vid.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I don't think that the base map they used is the Mars map? Hypothetical scenarios where Mars has an ocean (again) has its entire north pole underwater.

You corrected the factual accuracy of the joke image. Nice job.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Zesty posted:

You corrected the factual accuracy of the joke image. Nice job.

New thread title?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's weird because it is based on real Mars with several recognizable feature, but south is up and for whatever reasons the southern regions are under water.

I dunno, maybe it would fill like that if you kept raising the water level.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 8, 2023

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
edit: ope ended up in the wrong thread

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I think it's been flipped so the south pole is on top.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Blut posted:

Mormons are fairly comparatively ok as far as religious fanatics go, no? The seem to be more focused on helping communities than conversion by suicide bombing or beheading.

I remember talking to two Mormon missionaries in downtown Leuven about a decade ago, and being very impressed with their near-perfect Dutch. It seemed like such a waste of talent.

It must be hard mode for a missionary to get sent to Northern Europe, where the native population is completely secularized, jaded, and cynical. I wonder if they managed to get any converts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The purpose of mission trips isn't too make converts, it's to teach the kids sent on mission that the outsiders are filthy nonbeliever ingrates and sinners who can't be saved, and therefore that they should never leave their religious community ever again.

The more hostile the population, the better it teaches this principle.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The purpose of mission trips isn't too make converts, it's to teach the kids sent on mission that the outsiders are filthy nonbeliever ingrates and sinners who can't be saved, and therefore that they should never leave their religious community ever again.

The more hostile the population, the better it teaches this principle.

Mormons spread their religion pretty effectively so I'm going to go out on a limb and say some of their missionary work is genuinely looking for coverts.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Blue: United States
Green: Countries with an extradition treaty with the US
Grey: ______________

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

drk posted:

Did Burn After Reading lie to me?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kennel posted:

For those wondering: Denmark with Greenland is #12.

13 Saudi Arabia
15 Indonesia
20 Peru

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

drk posted:

Did the US just like… forget about Andorra? Good to know you can still hide somewhere in Western Europe, although if I were Assange I think I’d pick Russia over a lifetime of being stuck in Andorra, as much as I like mountains.

Also Myanmar has an extradition treaty with the US? That is surprising. When and who ever signed that?

E: pre WW2 and i very much doubt actually in effect.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 8, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Blut posted:

They used to do some massacres back in the day but they've calmed down considerably.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah now they just baptize the dead without consent.

and steal from their members to build up a $100 billion warchest.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I grew up in a fairly Mormon-heavy area of California. They were quieter with their bigotry than the Evangelicals, but it was definitely there. Plus, I've known three Mormon women who were married and divorced by age 20 because they were in abusive relationships, and they all got excommunicated by their church for the crime of leaving their abusive husbands.

By and large prosocial people, just highly intolerant to differences/questioning of doctrine.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was a whole war on Mormons back in their earlier days, but they have since mellowed and the government made its peace with them existing, so now they're just a weirder than average weird offshoot sect.

Saladman posted:

Did the US just like… forget about Andorra? Good to know you can still hide somewhere in Western Europe, although if I were Assange I think I’d pick Russia over a lifetime of being stuck in Andorra, as much as I like mountains.

In theory, Andorra might be covered by the treaties with Spain and France, because its history of independence isn't so much because it always stood alone, but because it stood as a weird venn diagram combination of both, although technically neither exerts much direct power these days.

But also the US can diplomatically organize extraditions from other countries even without an official for-all-purposes treaty, so it's possible that even if Andorra is exempt, they might hand people over anyways.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 8, 2023

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was a whole war on Mormons back in their earlier days, but they have since mellowed and the government made its peace with them existing, so now they're just a weirder than average weird offshoot sect.

In theory, Andorra might be covered by the treaties with Spain and France, because its history of independence isn't so much because it always stood alone, but because it stood as a weird venn diagram combination of both, although technically neither exerts much direct power these days.

But also the US can diplomatically organize extraditions from other countries even without an official for-all-purposes treaty, so it's possible that even if Andorra is exempt, they might hand people over anyways.

It’s not covered by that when it comes to EU membership. Although it did start use the euro without its own agreement that was mainly because the EU simply didn’t care

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Saladman posted:

Did the US just like… forget about Andorra?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q_iqrvnC_4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

In non-political cases the math is probably pretty heavy in favor of cooperating. Like if you're, say, Algeria (to pick a country I can easily recognize on the map), and some guy who murdered his wife ran there, unless he is a son of an important local politician or something, why won't you send him back? It helps your relationship with US, and you probably don't want an escaped murderer around anyway.

(And stuff that's politically loaded may be tricky even when there is a treaty, Judges in democracies can get picky about stuff like that!)