Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vic posted:

$ to time ratios are stupid. You can play f2p games forever on a treadmill.

I kinda feel that they have merits as an upper boundary; if a video game has such a brief shelf life that it can be counted in a few hours, it's gonna draw comparisons to other forms of entertainment. And it might not compare favorably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
F2p games are not played by people because of the time/cost ratio, its because the games are much deeper than most full price releases.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Serephina posted:

I kinda feel that they have merits as an upper boundary; if a video game has such a brief shelf life that it can be counted in a few hours, it's gonna draw comparisons to other forms of entertainment. And it might not compare favorably.

Well why are you comparing games to other forms of entertainment? Also are you using $ to length ratio to any other entertainment? Why not?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Vic posted:

Well why are you comparing games to other forms of entertainment? Also are you using $ to length ratio to any other entertainment? Why not?

If a movie and a game both produce entertainment for a similar length and the movie costs a hell of a lot less, hell yes I will.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'll gladly play some games 3 or 4 times, haven't watched a movie twice since Dark Knight

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I don't think there's any $60 game that is intended to be beaten and done in less than 6 hours. Most games that short are created to be replayable.

If you judge all entertainment by dollars to hours then buy an instrument and forget video games or other media unless you're stealing it all.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

F2p games are not played by people because of the time/cost ratio, its because the games are much deeper than most full price releases.

MOBAs are not deep, they are wide. They are being balance patched every two weeks to keep you guys guessing on the treadmill. Chess is deep. If you stopped patching a MOBA it becomes a solved game with 10 viable heroes.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

If a movie and a game both produce entertainment for a similar length and the movie costs a hell of a lot less, hell yes I will.

Why do you go to a movie when you can just go roller skating for free? Or why don't you just listen to some classical music for two hours instead of paying for a movie. Just beat your meat all evening it's free.

e: Also movies to videogames are not a good comparison. Movies are more like let's plays.

Vic fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 25, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Vic posted:

MOBAs are not deep, they are wide. They are being balance patched every two weeks

Lmao. I wish.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MOBAs and other games like that are basically a catch-up for the normal player and a speedrun of who can solve the game the fastest when new changes are made. I don't really get the appeal of MOBAs to the average player - not even gonna use the word casual here, because I'm including people who play it a lot. The eternal struggle to get to a higher albeit still mediocre rank while maintaining a 50% win ratio defined partially by people raging at the game, quitting or feeding seems like a completely miserable experience.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vic posted:

I'll answer the second question first: Yes, of course I do? I'm not made of money, only so much of it is budgeted for fun stuff. Video games eat into/are part of that budget.
For the first part: Some games are once-and done, some games you'll spend hundreds or thousands of hours on and are less of a game than they are a hobby, and I felt it clear aren't really part of this discussion. Gone Home is contentious, but it's a drat good example of the former in this context. I have 2.2 hours in it, I thought it was fine, and feel zero need to revisit it. It's currently on sale for more than a movie ticket, which has about as much engagement in it but way higher production values.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Elentor posted:

MOBAs and other games like that are basically a catch-up for the normal player and a speedrun of who can solve the game the fastest when new changes are made. I don't really get the appeal of MOBAs to the average player - not even gonna use the word casual here, because I'm including people who play it a lot. The eternal struggle to get to a higher albeit still mediocre rank while maintaining a 50% win ratio defined partially by people raging at the game, quitting or feeding seems like a completely miserable experience.

I mean you ain't wrong and I think that's the main reason people quit mobas but also I feel the same way about something like Elden Ring which people seemed desperate to beat 3 days after it came out. It was the same with dark souls - by the time I lit the flame turbo nerds were probably on NG+9

The only thing I can tell you - which won't make any difference is dota is mechanically and mentally way way more engaging than any other game. That's not nessecarily a good thing but it works for me - a wfh no lifer with more hours to fill than the average person

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Elentor posted:

The first description I'd ever heard of MOBAs is that they're games where whatever role you're playing has to be done in a very specific way and if you deviate from it slightly or gently caress up in any way then everyone else on your team will get viciously mad at you. Nothing I've heard since then has contradicted this and I'm perfectly happy to have never dipped into the genre

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Kit Walker posted:

The first description I'd ever heard of MOBAs is that they're games where whatever role you're playing has to be done in a very specific way and if you deviate from it slightly or gently caress up in any way then everyone else on your team will get viciously mad at you. Nothing I've heard since then has contradicted this and I'm perfectly happy to have never dipped into the genre

That's just lies that people who fly into an incontinent rage at the word MOBA say lmao

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Like if you join a multiplayer counterstrike game and insist on running at the enemy with just your knife out do you expect your team to just cheer you on lol

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Ah, looks like it's time for the moba players to justify their addiction to themselves and the world.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

satanic splash-back posted:

Ah, looks like it's time for the moba players to justify their addiction to themselves and the world.

But for me it was just another Tuesday

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

FoolyCharged posted:

TV shows and movies are like games that have really long, unskippable cutscenes - and there's no game afterwards.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm not justifying anything if anything like I said I have no idea why the average moba player plays the thing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

I don't think there's any $60 game that is intended to be beaten and done in less than 6 hours. Most games that short are created to be replayable.

If you judge all entertainment by dollars to hours then buy an instrument and forget video games or other media unless you're stealing it all.

I play call of duty for the single player

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Elentor posted:

I'm not justifying anything if anything like I said I have no idea why the average moba player plays the thing.

This but people who play game randomisers

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
has anyone said "moba these nuts"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I picked up botw again after not playing it in three years (Oct 2019 was my last save).

People kept telling me to go play Hyrule castle if I wanted a real dungeon. While the castle is clearly the best dungeon, I could only handle a few hours of playing before putting the game down again in disgust.

Mediocre at best open world game
Terrible Zelda game

I've been playing skyward sword HD which is of course far from perfect, but going from that battle system to botw is insanity. Botw's melee action is just press this button again and again.

I cannot get it through my head how this poo poo got rated so highly and I find it both sad and hilarious that it somehow is getting a direct sequel that uses the same map jfc.

Hope there's some real dungeons in it. And that literally every weapon in the entire world is no longer made from low grade pot metal because holy poo poo how the sheikah could build huge divine beasts and laser equipped guardians but can't make a sword last more than a few blows is beyond me.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I don't dislike breath of the wild but all I see is 1/5s and 5/5s when it was somewhere in the middle for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Breath of the Wild is one of those games I could write (and probably have written) pages and pages of criticism about but that I still love.

That's true for a lot of games I love, though.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I've been playing skyward sword HD which is of course far from perfect, but going from that battle system to botw is insanity. Botw's melee action is just press this button again and again.

I've had people tell me that this is playing the game wrong and what you're really supposed to do is use the game physics to set up rube goldberg machines every time you need to clear some random enemies.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't dislike breath of the wild but all I see is 1/5s and 5/5s when it was somewhere in the middle for me.

If it didn't have the Zelda IP it would have been a solid 8/10 that everyone forgot about a long time ago.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i don't like MOBAs because I don't really want to be super "on" while I'm playing games. I'm trying to wind down from a busy, hectic, maybe annoying day and relax before going to bed. So you can see how I don't really want to play a busy, hectic, and sometimes annoying game. I play single player games where I run around a place or build a town/empire at my own pace. I just like to gently caress around, and MOBAS are not about loving around.

BoTW is good except for 1) I want my dungeons back and 2) I hate the weapon breaking mechanic so so so so much

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

is pepsi ok posted:

I've had people tell me that this is playing the game wrong and what you're really supposed to do is use the game physics to set up rube goldberg machines every time you need to clear some random enemies.

That's actually one of my criticisms. I wish that was more viable in the mid- to late-game. Early on, your bombs or various environmental things can do serious damage and are a great way to conserve resources. But enemy HP scales up so high that by the mid-game that stops being viable. I think it'd be cool if, in the sequel, enemy HP doesn't scale up as drastically, and neither does weapon attack power, so more improvisatory fighting could stay rewarding the whole way through.

is pepsi ok posted:

If it didn't have the Zelda IP it would have been a solid 8/10 that everyone forgot about a long time ago.

I think that's true for some people, but I also think the reverse is true. There are definitely some players who would've liked it more if they hadn't gone in with Zelda expectations (especially around dungeons and item progression).

(To be clear I also want big dungeons back in the sequel, but that's primarily because I think a lot of the little shrine and divine beast puzzles were cool and I think BotW kinda wastes its systems' puzzle-solving potential by not having big dungeons.)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

have u heard of Ryze: Son of Rome
Also like half of the sonic games

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

have u heard of Ryze: Son of Rome

that games cool cuzall you do is stab guys. Like that Lord of the Rings game where you just run around Mordor slaughtering thousands of orcs.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Truly the real original Dark Souls.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i don't like MOBAs because I don't really want to be super "on" while I'm playing games. I'm trying to wind down from a busy, hectic, maybe annoying day and relax before going to bed. So you can see how I don't really want to play a busy, hectic, and sometimes annoying game.

In 5800 hours of dota I think I've played maybe 5 games while not stoned

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Harrow posted:

That's actually one of my criticisms. I wish that was more viable in the mid- to late-game. Early on, your bombs or various environmental things can do serious damage and are a great way to conserve resources. But enemy HP scales up so high that by the mid-game that stops being viable. I think it'd be cool if, in the sequel, enemy HP doesn't scale up as drastically, and neither does weapon attack power, so more improvisatory fighting could stay rewarding the whole way through.

I think that's true for some people, but I also think the reverse is true. There are definitely some players who would've liked it more if they hadn't gone in with Zelda expectations (especially around dungeons and item progression).

(To be clear I also want big dungeons back in the sequel, but that's primarily because I think a lot of the little shrine and divine beast puzzles were cool and I think BotW kinda wastes its systems' puzzle-solving potential by not having big dungeons.)

Agreed, as if I hadn't expected Zelda gameplay I would have liked it more, and it's clear that they could have had 6-8 amazing dungeons using all the puzzles that they ended up wasting on the shrines. It's an ok game it's just not Zelda at all. And I've gotten a lot of "you're playing it wrong" too, followed by gushing praise for the physics engine. You know, the same physics engine that makes you wave your leaf AT the sail of your raft instead of using it like you would with actual real physics (you'd swing the leaf off the back of the boat to provide equal and opposite forward momentum to the boat - waving it at the sail makes zero sense). The same physics engine that lets enemies swing their weapons endlessly without failure, but the second you pick their same weapon up it disintegrates in your hand. Wow, what amazing physics....

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Tatsujin is loving me up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kntfkr posted:

Tatsujin is loving me up.

IIRC, the Genesis/MegaDrive version is kind of infamous for loving people up because it's even harder than the arcade and other versions.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
What's the point of enemy scaling? Honestly, like if you get tons of upgrades but enemies scale point to point, there just isn't an increment of actual improvement.

Nothing's better than returning to an old area that had given you trouble and plowing through it with all of your fancy new poo poo, and while I understand a game wants to extend a challenge, if it's 1/1 scaling I think all the people that made the game should go to JAIL

Edit sorry I mean I get enemy scaling as a concept, specifically talking about directly equally proportional

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Floodixor posted:

What's the point of enemy scaling? Honestly, like if you get tons of upgrades but enemies scale point to point, there just isn't an increment of actual improvement.

Nothing's better than returning to an old area that had given you trouble and plowing through it with all of your fancy new poo poo, and while I understand a game wants to extend a challenge, if it's 1/1 scaling I think all the people that made the game should go to JAIL

Edit sorry I mean I get enemy scaling as a concept, specifically talking about directly equally proportional

Was it Oblivion that had bandits and marauders running around in what's basically legendary, ultra-rare daedric armor after a certain point? It's just ridiculous. As silly as the old-school pattern of enemies getting stronger as you travel further into the game is, I'd still rather only be fighting level 65 lava golems in Murder Mountain outside the final boss dungeon than find myself getting killed by a bunch of level 65 pixies when I revisit the starting town because they all inexplicably hit like trucks now

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

It's the worst when they do it in single player open world games. You absolutely should be gating off areas of an open world with tougher enemies to give players something to work to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

That's part of why Gothic and Morrowind are so good. Because they don't do that.