Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

tesko.pk posted:

Are you guys set on a 5-series, specifically E60? E46 325xi tourings can be had for a decent price, even early E90 328xi tourings have come way down in price. If you want to stick with a 5er, '06-'07 530xi tourings are $20-$25k.
I think a 3 series would be a bit smaller than the woman is looking for, and we kind of didn't want to go any older than a 2007 or so. But it does look like there are a good number of 2007 328xits out there. I'll have to track one down in person and see if it will cut it. I will see if I can find any '07 530xis that don't have crazy mileage. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Worst case scenario, you can at least get an X5. At least its decent to drive plus you can get the v8 for some raw off the line power. Also dare I say this here... take a look at the Mercedes wagon, theres quite a few of those roaming around with the same requirements your looking at.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

BraveUlysses posted:

Anyone tried the new hankook evo v12's? Thinking of getting a set for my M coupe

I bought a set for my 135i. Ideally I wanted the Continental ExtremeContact DW but they're on backorder everywhere it seems and I had a bubble forming in the sidewall so I needed to get mine replaced asap.

So far they're fine, decent handling, low noise. I mean you get what you pay for with tires so I don't expect a huge tread life on these but they'll be fine for a couple summers I hope.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Did some work on the 2002 over the weekend.

Good heavens! That faded old vinyl just will not do! :monocle:

Made the switch to the classiest of all interiors...

Plaid! :wotwot:
I re-skinned the door cards with some nice upholstery fabric and new black vinyl. Also (sort of) seen are the Sparco buckets that replaced the knackered original seats.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
That interior is entirely awesome. At first I thought I was looking at like a window net on the door for some reason and you had some bastard child 2002 with a SBC sitting in the rear or something.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Spotted this outside of work today. Besides the wheels, this is near perfection.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

McMadCow posted:

Made the switch to the classiest of all interiors...

Plaid! :wotwot:
I re-skinned the door cards with some nice upholstery fabric and new black vinyl. Also (sort of) seen are the Sparco buckets that replaced the knackered original seats.

You crazy bastard that is absolutely brilliant magnificent.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 19, 2011

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

You crazy bastard that is absolutely brilliant.

No one believed me when I said plaid would look good! :argh:

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Love it, post some shots with a wider angle so we can see the whole interior

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

The Third Man posted:

Love it, post some shots with a wider angle so we can see the whole interior

I will when I get the rear panels done in a few days.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
I seen the plaid stuff on an e46 on another forum, the headliner and all, was pretty slick looking.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Catastrophe posted:

Spotted this outside of work today. Besides the wheels, this is near perfection.

drat, that is a nice one. where was that, downtown?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

harperdc posted:

drat, that is a nice one. where was that, downtown?

Yeah by 9th and Stark downtown

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'll toot my own horn and declare the 2011 look as finished:

It looks pretty good on blurry pictures and at a distance, but the paint and bodywork sucks, and it hasn't been washed for months.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

evobatman posted:

It looks pretty good on blurry pictures and at a distance, but the paint and bodywork sucks, and it hasn't been washed for months.

Much improved!! I remember cringing when I saw what the body shop did. Getting rid of the corner markers and kidneys was critical. Is that Calypsorot? Whenever you post a pic it always looks a little off and I'm not sure if it's the camera or the paint.

EDIT: Saw this on wikipedia. What an abortion of a car:

revmoo fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 20, 2011

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
It sounds good in theory!

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

evobatman posted:

Looks really good, lovely color and some nice mods. Are those 17" BBS RG-R? Also wondering if you did a fog-light delete.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Thanks for the kind words both of you above me!

The car is Cordoba red, which changes hue a lot depending on lighting and dirt coverage.

The wheels are BBS RX204s, 17", on 215/45 cheap but new last year tyres. It's got the adjustable JOM suspension kit you can find all over eBay, and I just had an alignment done yesterday, which made a huge difference!

If you look at my post history in this thread, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2809820&userid=100786 you can see the different hues the car can take on and a bit of its history in my hands. It was stripped for equipment, and never had foglamps in the first place. I don't think I'll fit any either, I like how it looks now, a bit different from most M3 fronts.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
:q:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Bilsteins, nice. What springs are those?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
H&R OE Sports. Kinda disappointed they aren't a flamboyant colour to go with the shocks.

BTW, for any canucks in here, Essex Distributors is a great place to get H&R/Bilstein stuff in Canada. Flat rate shipping and their customer service is pretty good.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 21, 2011

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Crustashio posted:

H&R OE Sports. Kinda disappointed they aren't a flamboyant colour to go with the shocks.

BTW, for any canucks in here, Essex Distributors is a great place to get H&R/Bilstein stuff in Canada. Flat rate shipping and their customer service is pretty good.

Woah thanks a lot for this. Now I forget, what car is this going on?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Car: 1997 328i
Mileage: 201,000

I noticed a funny smell while driving today. I pulled over and opened the hood to inspect the belts, and found this instead:

My initial thought was OH poo poo but I drove ten miles home no problem, so if it's a blockage it's a small one. Is it possible the hose is just bad? The upper radiator hose (and all the other cooling system parts) has 49,000 miles on it.

Thoughts?

It hasn't overheated at all, but I'm afraid of that bursting.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
nevermind, just thought of it.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
Hmm. . .

That's not good. :(

:(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CornHolio posted:

Car: 1997 328i
Mileage: 201,000

Thoughts?

It hasn't overheated at all, but I'm afraid of that bursting.

Yea, you want to replace that hose, it's going to burst shortly (unless of course something else fails first!).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

goml23 posted:

Hmm. . .

That's not good. :(

Crap, is that oil?

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
Yeah, my dented oilpan finally gave and cracked on me. :(

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

While that sucks, I would be grateful it didn't happen while driving and seize the engine.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
True. Another bright side: I was almost due for an oil change, and now I don't have to worry about that!

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

My god. I think I'm finally done fixing things on my 2002 for the first time since I bought it. It's certainly not "done" and still needs attention but nothing serious is broken for once. As a refresher... I bought the thing and the head gasket took a dump 5 days later after the thermostat failed. What followed was a monumental amount of wrenching on it as it sat outside of my apartment on the side of the road. Half of the engine compartment was removed and then reinstalled after the head was resurfaced. So far, I've replaced: head gasket, water pump, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, plug wires, fan, water temperature sensor, thermostat, spark plugs, oil filter, oil, coolant, timing chain tensioner and the oil sprayer bar for the head. I've also fixed the gauge cluster's broken grounds so the fuel and temp needles actually move, the valve lash, the ground connections and wiring under the hood, the door locks (neither door locked when I bought it)...

I still have stuff to attend to. The rear defroster is still busted, the horn doesn't work, the headlights are so dim that they may as well be AA-powered flashlights, the center console is missing and the windshield wipers move so slowly that their motion can be recorded in minutes instead of seconds but this car is definitely in HUGELY better shape than when I purchased it. It's fairly lucky that it landed in my hands, in my opinion.

Anyway, the car was "done" but was driving me absolutely crazy because it'd start off running dead silent when cold but get horrifically loud when it warmed up. It was making a sound that sounded like I dropped a bolt into the engine. I couldn't find a single thing out of adjustment to explain it and the fact that the engine bay got louder instead of quieter as the engine warmed up made no sense at all to me. Then yesterday, I noticed that one of the four bolts holding the radiator in place was missing. The one in the lower left corner was never put in and the radiator wasn't sitting flush. It was "sticking out" slightly on that corner and was maybe 1/16" or less away from the fan. I found a correct bolt and bolted that corner down. Heyyy... the fan suddenly had more clearance. Magically, the terrifying "ticking" sound went away. I guess things were shifting around slightly as the engine warmed up and it was causing the fan to lightly slap against the lower left corner of the radiator, making a sound that sounded like the engine was about to detonate.

It's always one lousy bolt.....

Now to get a kit to shorten those diving board bumpers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Btdt, loving m42 oil pans!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Anyone have experience swapping out the radio in a Mini ? I have an 03 Mini S with the H/K radio and I have heard it's a big pain in the rear end to remove that and get another system in. My thought was it would be cheaper to just replace the head unit with one that has a USB input than to get the mini iPod adapter since it's like 350 bucks, but I think I might also lose the steering wheel controls if I do that. Cheaper option is to just get the Auxilary unput kit since that's only like 40 bucks, but then I have to mess with the player to change songs and such.

Bonus pic:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
This is the BMW thread.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nitr0 posted:

This is the BMW thread.

How delightfully snobbish.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
:D

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Nitr0 posted:

This is the BMW thread.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

So my dad just had me drive his 328Ci, and he is getting a pretty violent shake in his steering wheel that starts at about 30-35mph and gets worse as you climb in speed. Normally I would simply think that it is an alignment/balance issue, but oddly enough, it only starts to happen after you've been driving for 10-15 minutes. I drove it for maybe 5-6 miles before I started happening. What could be causing this? Is there something that would go out of alignment after the engine/tires warm up?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
^ shake in the steering wheel around 30-35 was my FCABs, but it went away as I sped up. Probably wouldn't hurt to check them though. The warming up thing is very weird, the FCABs were all the time. So it's probably not that. Do let us know when you find out!

So my 99 328i hit 170k today, and I realized, many things on the car are getting pretty old. I'd like to do a suspension refresh, because I think it's affecting my handling quite a bit now. I really like the look of the pelican kits, but they all say "328i/Ci (07/99 on)". Did they change so much mid year that I'm boned for most suspension replacements? When I look at the individual parts on pelican, I don't see anything specifying the 07/99 date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

Deceptor101 posted:

^ shake in the steering wheel around 30-35 was my FCABs, but it went away as I sped up. Probably wouldn't hurt to check them though. The warming up thing is very weird, the FCABs were all the time. So it's probably not that. Do let us know when you find out!

So my 99 328i hit 170k today, and I realized, many things on the car are getting pretty old. I'd like to do a suspension refresh, because I think it's affecting my handling quite a bit now. I really like the look of the pelican kits, but they all say "328i/Ci (07/99 on)". Did they change so much mid year that I'm boned for most suspension replacements? When I look at the individual parts on pelican, I don't see anything specifying the 07/99 date.

Do some cross-referencing at realoem.com, but I think you're safe. Personally I wouldn't go with a kit from Pelican, nothing against them, I just prefer Meyle HD components, they're really worth the extra cost IMO. The suspension refresh on my E46 is; Meyle HD FCAB's, Meyle HD Front End Links, Meyle HD rear shock mounts, RSM reinforcement plates, tie-rods, front strut mounts, spring pads all around, Koni FSD shocks, H&R sport springs, and a carbon fiber BMW performance strut brace for the cherry on top. One of these days some Sway Barbarians from UUC are supposed to show up but after 6 weeks im still patiently waiting :emo: