Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Cashed in some Sideshow reward points. I think I bought the last one, it is gone from the website now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Joe Fisto posted:

Cashed in some Sideshow reward points. I think I bought the last one, it is gone from the website now.

Nice job!

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

This makes me hilariously happy. I had one of the other figures several years ago and his head snapped off as soon as I got it out the box.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
That is an absolutely gorgeous paint job.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

I always loved that design. It worked so well in the movie to show why spandex would be a horrible real world "costume" for heroes.

I was kinda pissed the shield didn't have the hand dent in it though.

The new Winter Soldier Cap 2 pack is up and going at Sideshow. 339$ for the "Civvie" cap and the stealth suit. Not too shabby.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I always loved that design. It worked so well in the movie to show why spandex would be a horrible real world "costume" for heroes.

The new Winter Soldier Cap 2 pack is up and going at Sideshow. 339$ for the "Civvie" cap and the stealth suit. Not too shabby.

I pre-ordered. I ordered the OG suit, Winter Soldier, and this set. It's my first dive into Hot Toys territory, but I'm trying to limit my purchases purely to Cap stuff for the sake of my own financial sanity.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Sooooo glad they're doing a two pack of those two. Did not want to buy 3 different Cap's at $230 each.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beanpants posted:

I pre-ordered. I ordered the OG suit, Winter Soldier, and this set. It's my first dive into Hot Toys territory, but I'm trying to limit my purchases purely to Cap stuff for the sake of my own financial sanity.

Yea, it wasn't until this morning when I was looking at the pre-order for the new Superman that I realized "Holy gently caress every sideshow order I have placed has been for a Superman figure."

The Reeve release, the drunk superman, and the MOS version. I'ma get Zod and the new comic version too. Dunno about Bats yet though.

I'd have gotten the joker but the best face was on the sculpt that had that god damned hat sculpted on. If it wasn't for that I'd have picked it up in a heartbeat.

I'm debating the 2 pack of Cap (same as The Rage, I'm glad there's going to be a 2 pack instead of two diff 200$+ figures), but I wanna see the movie first. As cool as Cap is, that's pretty close to a ps4 in cash, and I might get more fun outta vidjagames than new Cap figures.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Yea, it wasn't until this morning when I was looking at the pre-order for the new Superman that I realized "Holy gently caress every sideshow order I have placed has been for a Superman figure."

The Reeve release, the drunk superman, and the MOS version. I'ma get Zod and the new comic version too. Dunno about Bats yet though.

I'd have gotten the joker but the best face was on the sculpt that had that god damned hat sculpted on. If it wasn't for that I'd have picked it up in a heartbeat.

I'm debating the 2 pack of Cap (same as The Rage, I'm glad there's going to be a 2 pack instead of two diff 200$+ figures), but I wanna see the movie first. As cool as Cap is, that's pretty close to a ps4 in cash, and I might get more fun outta vidjagames than new Cap figures.

That Reeve Superman might be the only thing to get me to crack on the Cap-only rule.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a beautiful piece. The base is god damned amazing. The sculpt is pretty much perfect as well.

I'm thinking about buying a headsculpt off ebay for a Clark Kent version. Just need a body and a suit and a hat. Only trouble is finding a good suit for kinda cheap.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I preordered the GOTG wave the other day and actually found a Carnage that night. drat is that not a fine figure that looks like it popped off a page.

I also against my better judgement got a CM Punk wrestling figure. It's pretty good I guess, I have never got a Mattel WWE figure before so I wasn't sure what I was getting into. It's better than most of the DCUC stuff, but nowhere near a Marvel Legend in articulation. The paint apps are fantastic though, especially the tattoos. I feel that he needs a belt but I can't find one.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Djarum posted:

I also against my better judgement got a CM Punk wrestling figure. It's pretty good I guess, I have never got a Mattel WWE figure before so I wasn't sure what I was getting into. It's better than most of the DCUC stuff, but nowhere near a Marvel Legend in articulation. The paint apps are fantastic though, especially the tattoos. I feel that he needs a belt but I can't find one.

Which one? If you paid $20 it should have ML-equivalent articulation. And if it was only $10, it's supposed to be lovely. What belt did you want to throw on him? I probably have a spare kicking around you can have.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo Captain America

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Which one? If you paid $20 it should have ML-equivalent articulation. And if it was only $10, it's supposed to be lovely. What belt did you want to throw on him? I probably have a spare kicking around you can have.

I got the Elite 16 I believe. It is the look he had when he won the Championship from Cena, the Chicago flag colors. I got it used for a very good price since I see the same figure going between 40-70 dollars which is insane.

The articulation isn't bad, it just doesn't seem quite on the level of Legends stuff but I can get him in just about any pose I want except for the Indian Style sitting but then what figure can do that?

If you got a spare "Spinner" belt(?) I'd be grateful. I believe that is the style he had while he was champion. I know very little about wrestling post 1996, but I like Punk since he is a fellow Chicago guy.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 6, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Quick opinion question here.

After goofing around with my mom today about the various definitions of toy vs action figure vs doll, what's your breakdown of what gets called what?

They're always dolls.

I haven't really bought anything since dumping my near complete ML/DCUC doll collection a few years ago on eBay. But out of habit, I snagged a black box sandtrooper. Anyone need it?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Just got Spider-Woman in the mail from STUPID SEXY FLANDERS and I'm tickled with the figure. The paint app is kind of sloppy on the face, but the figure itself looks better in person than it did in pictures! Unfortunately it's going to spur me on to pick up Carnage and at least one of the two Spideys now. :retrogames:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

I had to pick those two up. Looking forward to seeing more photos of Falcon.

I've gone Hot Toys crazy in the last year. My wife bought me Avengers Cap for Valentine's day last year. Since then I've bought the rest of the Avenger's cast, Red Skull, the 2 exclusive Caps, MOS Superman and Jor-El and the Crow. I have more on pre-order. I think I need rehab.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

My only two Hot Toys.

Oops gigantic.

Caesarian Sectarian fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 6, 2014

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Are those the 3A portal figs? I'm kinda interested in their Iron Man line.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Agrias120 posted:

Just got Spider-Woman in the mail from STUPID SEXY FLANDERS and I'm tickled with the figure. The paint app is kind of sloppy on the face, but the figure itself looks better in person than it did in pictures! Unfortunately it's going to spur me on to pick up Carnage and at least one of the two Spideys now. :retrogames:

Awesome! Glad it showed up looking ok.

Haven't seen Carnage here, but I have seen spideys kinda everywhere now. That shouldn't be hard to find.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Joe Fisto posted:

Are those the 3A portal figs? I'm kinda interested in their Iron Man line.

Yep! They are incredible in every way.

I've seen their Iron Man figures in person, and they look awesome ... but use some weird rubber on the arms to mask the joints and it looks like it will break down over time. The sample models had cracking at the joints. They look cool as hell though, but expensive.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

therealjon_ posted:

Yep! They are incredible in every way.

I've seen their Iron Man figures in person, and they look awesome ... but use some weird rubber on the arms to mask the joints and it looks like it will break down over time. The sample models had cracking at the joints. They look cool as hell though, but expensive.

Well poo poo. If I was going to grab one, I was liking the Silver Centurion. I've always loved that armor.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Joe Fisto posted:

I had to pick those two up. Looking forward to seeing more photos of Falcon.

I've gone Hot Toys crazy in the last year. My wife bought me Avengers Cap for Valentine's day last year. Since then I've bought the rest of the Avenger's cast, Red Skull, the 2 exclusive Caps, MOS Superman and Jor-El and the Crow. I have more on pre-order. I think I need rehab.

This is exactly what happened to me, I bought Iron Man 2 War Machine in 2011, I now own 37 Hot Toys figures

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Rage posted:

This is exactly what happened to me, I bought Iron Man 2 War Machine in 2011, I now own 37 Hot Toys figures

This is why I have never jumped down the Hot Toys rabbit hole. I have had a lot of people I know randomly ask me why I don't have any Hot Toys in the last two months. Explaining to them that I can barely afford the Marvel Legends figures I want let alone spending 200+ on a single figure would break me. I know the instant I buy one it will be all over and I will live in a cardboard box surrounded by Hot Toys.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda lucky in the fact that I am poor. There are SO MANY OMG WANT IT figures they make, but I have to be pretty choosy on which ones I can actually afford vs which ones I want to have on display in my house.

I think I am going to limit myself to maybe 2 pieces a year from those guys.

I don't really collect anything else, so it's doable, but even with that logic behind me I still have a hot toys Iron Man 2 autopsy suit I wanna sell cause it doesn't fit the rest of the collection. Gotta be careful with the cash.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

If anyone is looking to trade the Kidrobot Street Fighter figures, hit me up via PM. I just picked up an extra Blanka (Pink and Orange)and am looking for anything aside from Evil Ryu. Still have the box and sticker it came in.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

At the request of Stupid Sexy Flander I snapped a quick work-in-progress shot of the John Marston head I'm painting for him. I figured it might be good for other people to see the process in case you ever want to get a really good skin tone on a custom figure.

The basic process goes: mid-tone base coat, dark wash, dry-brushed highlights, followed by all the detailing. What you see here is step 2, the dark wash. For best results you need to take a good long break after step 1 and step 2 to let the paint properly set/harden. It dries to the touch within a minute but it can still flake off or dissolve when you put the next coat on unless you give it time.

The hair is part of the "detailing" process so right now it's still pink. The base coat isn't just for color, its main purpose is to adhere to the surface and create the right texture to add more layers. This head still had residual mold release on it that made it hard to apply the first coat; best to deal with that early so it doesn't gently caress up your details. Since I start with the face the whole head generally ends up some shade of pinkish brown. This character has kind of a dusky complexion so I mixed rusty red tones into the base and black into the wash.

The stuff I use for the wash is citadel flesh wash, which is loving magical if you know how to use it right. It's very watery/inky and goes on extremely thin, but you don't just slop on a coat and leave it. The trick is to lay it on as fast as you can, re-brushing over the same areas as needed to make sure it's sticking to the surface very uniformly, then brush it OFF with a big, soft brush, which you also use to rub and blend it into all the cracks and crevices. I usually use three brushes, one to apply and two to remove. Sometimes I repeat the whole process, as I did here, for darker darks. You can see the end result is a very fine shading effect.

Some people might stop there, but there are two problems with the wash: It's generally a little uneven and mottled, especially if it's a lot darker than the base, and it leaves the whole surface too glossy. Dry-brushing will solve those problems.

My favorite black paint is testors aircraft interior black, which is not the darkest black but the flattest. There's nothing worse than shiny shadows, and that stuff just kills light. I used that here to dull that glossy effect on the wash.

Bam, you just got taken to art school.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awesome!

Yea, pink is not really a color one would associate with Marston, but I love seeing WIP stuff like this. Having it go from a blank white bust style to an actual finished piece is always cool.

Appreciate the update, can't wait for the next one!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Unknownone posted:

This makes me hilariously happy. I had one of the other figures several years ago and his head snapped off as soon as I got it out the box.

The Guyver stuff has been revealed and shown the last couple of years, with no actual date ever announced unfortunately. Fingers crossed though!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Unknownone posted:

Do... do you still have it?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone remebers this rad motherfucker?

NECA has just announced than he's too costly or something and now will be a stand-alone deluxe release with a price point of around $30, his spot on S12 will be taken by the Viper Pred and the Blade Fighter vehicle will ship without a figure.

NECA's explanation mades sense but I can't help but feel than is only an excuse to crank up the price tag and milk the Predator license.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

As if the last few waves weren't milking the Predator line already.

He's still badass, I'll just drop the extra cash on him and not pick up wave 13, those Kenner variants are really boring in that one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Finally my junior high WYKED SICK BLOODY AND GUTS predator is here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

NECA has just announced than he's too costly or something and now will be a stand-alone deluxe release with a price point of around $30, his spot on S12 will be taken by the Viper Pred and the Blade Fighter vehicle will ship without a figure.

NECA's explanation mades sense but I can't help but feel than is only an excuse to crank up the price tag and milk the Predator license.

This thing looks like a cheap knock off. Why didn't they paint the netting? Don't tell me they're going to leave it like that...come on.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

This thing looks like a cheap knock off. Why didn't they paint the netting? Don't tell me they're going to leave it like that...come on.

Is the prototype they took to the Toyfair, supposedly, the retail version will have the netting painted. In any case, I don't really see why is needed to be a deluxe offering. The armor doesn't seem that different to Armored Lost and if are accesories, Jungle Disguise Dutch had a shitton of them.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I haven't bought a revoltech figure in years

comes out in June methinks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's a bit of a shame. I'll still buy it, of course.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Sideshow's Superman went up today:

He looks a little jowly but not too bad, but $200 for a non-likeness figure with so few accessories is getting pretty steep. That Metallo head is boss though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 6, 2014