Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
what kind of camera is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

the posted:

what kind of camera is this

Mamiya 645 Pro with a power winder and prism.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
10 points to hufflepuff

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

the posted:

10 points to hufflepuff

That's good from you.

Hey, this guy I work with takes photos of pretty clouds. I've seen him do it, I know he did it, he takes them with his Iphone.

Anyway, he left his phone on a table and rushed out of the room and I went to change the phone number of his girlfriend to my number so I could break up with him, when I discovered he has like 10,000 photos of clouds.

I was just checking for like, dick photos, but holy poo poo. I panicked after I saw that and put it back on the table, then went back after a minute and shifted it like a millimetre so it looked more like he left it. I sort of felt like I picked up a bone in a graveyard. Like it's probably a chicken bone, but what if it's not... and it's probably just a weird hobby, but what if he's collecting the sky...

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Helmacron posted:

That's good from you.

Hey, this guy I work with takes photos of pretty clouds. I've seen him do it, I know he did it, he takes them with his Iphone.

Anyway, he left his phone on a table and rushed out of the room and I went to change the phone number of his girlfriend to my number so I could break up with him, when I discovered he has like 10,000 photos of clouds.

I was just checking for like, dick photos, but holy poo poo. I panicked after I saw that and put it back on the table, then went back after a minute and shifted it like a millimetre so it looked more like he left it. I sort of felt like I picked up a bone in a graveyard. Like it's probably a chicken bone, but what if it's not... and it's probably just a weird hobby, but what if he's collecting the sky...

well did you change his girlfriend's number to yours to break up with him or not?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

As someone who owned an E-500, I am in no way surprised by Olympus being terrible.

You clearly just can't handle a camera hardcore enough for the Yakuza :colbert:

E: I'm the only one left on this sinking ship aren't I?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DJExile posted:

You clearly just can't handle a camera hardcore enough for the Yakuza :colbert:

E: I'm the only one left on this sinking ship aren't I?

You're the only man who owns an Olympus.

All the other 'owners' are fictitious and only exist in the balance sheet to launder funny money.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

titanium posted:

Just to clarify my post I know there isnt a true perfect alternate to film I was just curious if they were selling fancy sliders. I'm aware there are cheap options for those looking to get into film but like I said it's something I dive into later on.

if you do just want photoshop or lightroom plugins to emulate film, Alien Skin:Exposure is what I use and I think it's pretty cool. About half the time I prefer the simple presets to what I can produce with about 10 minutes playing with levels on the raw file, rather than just for novelty value. Check it out.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I almost bought an Olympus for my first DSLR on a whim once.

*clutches 5D in fear*

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

You're the only man who owns an Olympus.

Well, at least I still have my books lenses...

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I haven't given up on m4/3 yet and I still think my EP-1 is a mostly good camera.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, Olympus is absolutely throwing their support behind the m4/3 system, and they are pretty nice cameras. With the E-5 DSLR, I know they were trying to say in press releases that they were still supporting the regular 4/3 system but I can't help but wonder if that's the last we'll see of them, especially now with the financial troubles coming to light.

Still, their glass is phenomenal and has been part of the reason I've stuck through it. I guess I'm one of those 'in for a penny, in for a pound' types. V:shobon:V

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
What about Sony? I forgot they even made DSLRs, until I had to recover a corrupted card for a friend of a friend the other day. Out came a whole bunch of lovely, poorly exposed, unfocused, badly composed shots that were enormous jpg files. Turns out the a900 is a goddamn 24-megapixel camera. I figured, considering the whole card had been shot on green-square auto, the only reason this guy with more money than sense ever bought that camera in the first place was for MORE MEGAPIXELS!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're supposed to have some pretty good in-body IS, but that's about all I know of them.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.
Sony used to provide Nikon with sensors, right? So they've got that going for them I guess

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

MAkev posted:

Sony used to provide Nikon with sensors, right? So they've got that going for them I guess

Still do and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

They're supposed to have some pretty good in-body IS, but that's about all I know of them.

They always seem to get very good reviews.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Cool high speed video of a dslr shutter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x_YXj0vWVM

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Helmacron posted:

That's good from you.

This is actually a thing people do. If you do it with a real camera, you can use it as Photoshop stock for when you really gently caress up a shot and blow the sky.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

titanium posted:

Just to clarify my post I know there isnt a true perfect alternate to film I was just curious if they were selling fancy sliders. I'm aware there are cheap options for those looking to get into film but like I said it's something I dive into later on.

Yeah, it's called a Pentax ME or MX. Big rear end screen, great lenses, and you can be shooting with either one for under $100. Get yourself one of those and a SMC Pentax 35/3.5 or 50/1.7 (and later a 28mm f/2.8). It's hard to beat for the price, and you'll figure out the technical stuff within a roll or two.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

squidflakes posted:

It extra sucks when you're doing medium or large format. Every time I release the shutter with film in the holder on my Crown Graphic I'm out $5-$10 dollars.

I actually prefer medium format in this respect. There's only 8-16 shots per roll, so I get negatives back quicker. It is more expensive ($1 or so per shot), but that's an incentive to think a shot through fully. I only "see" so many good shots per area/day anyway, everything else is pretty much experimentation and I usually know they aren't that great before I take the picture. You don't really need 36 shots and unless you're trigger-happy it can take a while before you see your results. This way the results can be enlarged more if they're good or cropped more heavily if they're not.

Large format is the obvious conclusion to this, but I'm not quite there yet equipment-wise or financially.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
If that's the only reason you shoot medium format, you should just short-load your own 35mm cartridges.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Reichstag posted:

If that's the only reason you shoot medium format, you should just short-load your own 35mm cartridges.

I too think you should abandon your chosen medium and/or equipment :frogout:

As I said up there, there's a variety of advantages. Faster results, sharper images, finer grain, larger enlargements (including the ability to make reasonably-sized prints from cheap V500 scans), or the ability to heavily crop a shot. It's also equipment that produces results I like.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is actually a thing people do. If you do it with a real camera, you can use it as Photoshop stock for when you really gently caress up a shot and blow the sky.

I've been meaning to do that with some shots but I couldn't find any results for tutorials searching for "composite landscape tutorial" or similar.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Must suck to be a photographer in the UK today:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/photographers_face_copyright_threat_after_shock_ruling__news_311191.html

:gonk:

Hope it doesn't spread to the US.. or that barn near the Tetons is going to get a whole bunch of people sued.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/photographers_face_copyright_threat_after_shock_ruling__news_311191.html

Hope it doesn't spread to the US.. or that barn near the Tetons is going to get a whole bunch of people sued.

Well, on the plus side, at least it should reduce the amount of selective colouring around.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Well that was surprising. Just went through security at Logan airport, had my camera bag as carryon with a dSLR, SLR, cable releases, a bunch of lenses and a mess of film canisters, some of them funky old metal handrolled ones... no questions asked. No bag check.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Well that was surprising. Just went through security at Logan airport, had my camera bag as carryon with a dSLR, SLR, cable releases, a bunch of lenses and a mess of film canisters, some of them funky old metal handrolled ones... no questions asked. No bag check.

I went through Detroit Metro and Boston Logan not a week after that Christmas bomber guy tried to bring the plane down over Detroit with a backpack full of camera stuff and they never touched me either.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

spog posted:

Well, on the plus side, at least it should reduce the amount of selective colouring around.

First they came for the selective color shitheads, but I didn't speak out because it wasn't 1995 anymore.

Then they came for the HDR lovers, but I did not speak out because that PCS hurt my eyes.

Then they came for Kent Rockwell, but I did not speak out because I was jealous of his one of a kind left handed Nikon.

Then they came for me, and my beloved Teton Barn photos, but there was no one left to protest on reddit for me.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

DJExile posted:

I went through Detroit Metro and Boston Logan not a week after that Christmas bomber guy tried to bring the plane down over Detroit with a backpack full of camera stuff and they never touched me either.

Orlando international, two of us with bags full of camera stuff. We both got bag checked, he got a pat down but not me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Last time I went through O'hare there was someone waiting to question me about my bag.

She just wanted to ask me want kind of telephoto I was carrying because she was looking to get one herself in the future, but she lost interest once I said I shot Nikon, haha (she didn't pull me off to the side or anything, just chit chatted while I was putting my shoes back on and whatnot).

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I was totally wasted going through SFO with my Ona bag completely full of camera gear wearing a "Just because you have a dslr doesn't mean you're a 'photographer'" shirt (ironically) and they didn't even blink at me.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

haha what the gently caress.

Literally every London tourist is liable for copyright theft.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Anti_Social posted:

Orlando international, two of us with bags full of camera stuff. We both got bag checked, he got a pat down but not me.

Taipei, Tokyo, Detroit, and DFW, no questions asked except for the liquid I bought that was just over the limit, so I had to throw it away. The only thing was that they stopped everybody from using cameras and phones in certain parts (read, security areas) at Detroit's airport.

I never seem to have a problem in Tokyo or Taipei, no matter what stupid things I do.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Paragon8 posted:

haha what the gently caress.

Literally every London tourist is liable for copyright theft.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=london&f=hp

Knock yourselves out, British court system.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

HookShot posted:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=london&f=hp

Knock yourselves out, British court system.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=london+bus+selective+color+bridge&m=text

Look at all these criminals.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mr. Despair posted:

She just wanted to ask me want kind of telephoto I was carrying because she was looking to get one herself in the future, but she lost interest once I said I shot Nikon, haha (she didn't pull me off to the side or anything, just chit chatted while I was putting my shoes back on and whatnot).

"What are you shooting?"

"A Sigma!"

"Sorry sir, you're going to have to come with me."

"But it has Foveon sensoooooooo-ow! Hey!"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Anti_Social posted:

He must have a nicer rear end.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

At Berlin Tegel I got pulled into a side room and had my camera, lenses and laptop swabbed for explosives. The security guys assured me it had nothing to do with the fact that I was carrying a lot of electronics, "just a random check".

Since I'm a short, white woman who at the time, in glasses and comfy travel clothes, looked more like a chubby-cheeked 12-year-old than the 25-year-old I was, it certainly had nothing to do with racial profiling...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

xzzy posted:

Does that actually set precedent outside of commercial use? It seems like more of a trademark thing, "the brand with the red double decker bus crossing the bridge away from big ben and the background is black and white" being specific enough that you might reasonably get the two confused (if they had similar products).