Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

AdmiralViscen posted:

I have a Nook 1 that I used for a few months and then not again. I want to give ereaders another shot.

Paperwhite or Voyage?

A used Paperwhite is still really good and will be completely sufficient to see if you'll actually get enough use out of an ereader to justify it. No reason to spring for the top of the line one, then stop using it again in a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm actually really annoyed the the Kindle has such a lead time on it now. It's just a culmination that's been building for awhile every time something new comes out it's impossible to buy.

They first announced it with a month's wait, that's fine. But now I'd be looking at almost a full quarter before I would be able to get it which is just silly at this point. I'm going through the same thing with the Moto 360 right now. It's been weeks since it went on sale and it's been impossible to just walk into a store and buy one.

By the time stuff does get in stock and is able to be bought, then you start hearing things about the next device down the line. It just seems like a growing trend of launching without enough inventory or production capacity to meet demand.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

A used Paperwhite is still really good and will be completely sufficient to see if you'll actually get enough use out of an ereader to justify it. No reason to spring for the top of the line one, then stop using it again in a couple months.

That's what I was thinking king. Two more questions. Is there a revised paper white coming out alongside the voyage or is it exactly the same? And with the paper white is all page turning done by tapping the touchscreen? That seems like a problem for one handed operation.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

AdmiralViscen posted:

And with the paper white is all page turning done by tapping the touchscreen? That seems like a problem for one handed operation.

It really depends on how big your hands are. People here claim it's not a problem, but I think most of them are dudes. I'm a chick with smaller than average hands, and one-handed doesn't really work for me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You can tap or swipe to the side. The area for forward page is pretty huge compared to the area for back a page.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

I'm actually really annoyed the the Kindle has such a lead time on it now. It's just a culmination that's been building for awhile every time something new comes out it's impossible to buy.

They first announced it with a month's wait, that's fine. But now I'd be looking at almost a full quarter before I would be able to get it which is just silly at this point. I'm going through the same thing with the Moto 360 right now. It's been weeks since it went on sale and it's been impossible to just walk into a store and buy one.

By the time stuff does get in stock and is able to be bought, then you start hearing things about the next device down the line. It just seems like a growing trend of launching without enough inventory or production capacity to meet demand.

It's using a high end brand new version of the e-ink display, there's not really a way around it having likely slower production than the more typical screens in the regular Kindle and the Kindle Paperwhite.

Maybe you don't remember how it was with the first couple Kindle models, which had much longer waiting times much quicker (the original Kindle had month plus delays within hours of announcement and availability of ordering; the Kindle 2 had month plus waits within days).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Paperwhite or Kobo? I'm not really locked into Amazon's ecosystem (I do have a couple of books through them, but that's it,) I have a ton of epub formatted books (though I could use Calibre to reformat them.) Price is about the same, though I can get a refurb Kobo for $79 on teh Kobo site (though only hot pink is available.)

So, as I see things, the only deciding factor would be storage capacity, correct (aside from the refurb deal)? They're pretty neck and neck in terms of readability/user experience?

Also, in case anyone wants to try this out, I've had a Paperwhite sitting in my cart for a few days. Today, I went to look at the Kindles again, and a message displayed stating that I was eligible for a "Pay over 5 months" offer - this is the first time I've seen that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Paperwhite or Kobo? I'm not really locked into Amazon's ecosystem (I do have a couple of books through them, but that's it,) I have a ton of epub formatted books (though I could use Calibre to reformat them.) Price is about the same, though I can get a refurb Kobo for $79 on teh Kobo site (though only hot pink is available.)

So, as I see things, the only deciding factor would be storage capacity, correct (aside from the refurb deal)? They're pretty neck and neck in terms of readability/user experience?

Also, in case anyone wants to try this out, I've had a Paperwhite sitting in my cart for a few days. Today, I went to look at the Kindles again, and a message displayed stating that I was eligible for a "Pay over 5 months" offer - this is the first time I've seen that.

Never owned a Kobo but I love my gen2 Paperwhite. Probably my favourite electronic purchase in a long time. Wife goes to bed early but I can read for a couple hours more without disturbing her.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

rufius posted:

Never owned a Kobo but I love my gen2 Paperwhite. Probably my favourite electronic purchase in a long time. Wife goes to bed early but I can read for a couple hours more without disturbing her.

Yeah, I'll probably wait until I build up a good reserve in my Amazon Associates account and pick one up. Or wait until a good sale.

Speaking of, Staples has the Paperwhite on sale for $99 this week.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Any advice on buying Kindles used? I'm looking at a used Kindle Paperwhite, supposedly second generation but only 2GB. (didn't they bump this up to 4GB?) Anyways, I'm in Canada so pricing is actually higher. The seller is willing to sell at $80 CAD. But this one line in the description looks fishy.

"note: cannot be registered with Amazon."

The gently caress?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Constellation I posted:

Any advice on buying Kindles used? I'm looking at a used Kindle Paperwhite, supposedly second generation but only 2GB. (didn't they bump this up to 4GB?) Anyways, I'm in Canada so pricing is actually higher. The seller is willing to sell at $80 CAD. But this one line in the description looks fishy.

"note: cannot be registered with Amazon."

The gently caress?

It's been reported as lost/stolen, so don't buy it. The 4GB bump literally just happened, so it would have to be sold in the last month to have that memory increase.

Mini-review: Speaking of Paperwhite, I'm a little underwhelmed by the one I just bought. I previously owned an iPad, a Nook HD+, and a Nook Simple Touch. I really like the iBooks reading experience, but my iPad is getting long in the tooth (1st gen) and weighs a figurative ton. The Nook HD+ is considerably lighter, but none of the reader programs (Moon, Monsanto, etc) are really working for me. I switched to my wife's old Simple Touch, and really like the form factor and display. I hate the lack of organization (iBooks really shines at this) but I'll learn to only keep a couple of books on it at a time, using Calibre for the organization. Unfortunately, with the Simple Reader, I couldn't read in the dark - I'd have to leave the lamp on, annoying my wife as she tries to sleep.

So I picked up a Paperwhite at Staples for $99, hoping that it would fit my wants list. It does have the small form factor, so that is nice, but I think I prefer the slightly wider ST. I have long fingers and they feel cramped with the smaller Paperwhite.

Personally, I didn't find the display to be that much better than the old Simple Touch - the Paperwhite has a slightly more white/less gray e-ink screen, but honestly, I find it kind of negligible. I don't see any increase or improvement in page turning/refresh - to me, the ST and the Paperwhite look exactly the same, with maybe a fraction of a second difference in favor of the Paperwhite.

While I do see a lot of complaints online, the lack of physical buttons for page-turning on the Paperwhite doesn't bother me - I didn't use them on the ST, as I found it easier just to touch the screen than to depress the buttons.

Sorting books sucks as much with the Paperwhite as the ST, so apples to apples there.

I prefer the way the ST formats text - some of the books I'm reading don't have a double carriage return between paragraphs, and the Paperwhite displays the page as coded, which looks like a solid wall of text. The ST on the other hand, allows you to adjust this, and will display carriage returns as a double space. It makes it a lot easier to read a book when there is some formatting.

Honestly, the only benefit I can see to the Paperwhite versus the Simple Touch (if you can still find one) would be the light. I don't feel like I wasted $99+, but I do have some buyer's remorse with this purchase since I don't see a lot of improvement over what I had previously.

Also - Amazon, you're a multi-billion dollar company. You don't need to cheap out and not supply a charger for your Paperwhite. Granted, us tech-savvy people probably have a spare charger or can plug into a PC, but grandma shouldn't have to spend an additional fifteen loving dollars to get a $.50 part from you.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 6, 2014

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Try out coolreader on your Nook HD+ if that's in the store. It's the most tolerable android reader I've used, and it comes with a load of options.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

Try out coolreader on your Nook HD+ if that's in the store. It's the most tolerable android reader I've used, and it comes with a load of options.
Somehow I missed that one. Well, it's kind of moot now, but I'll try it out for future use - it does look a bit like iBooks. Thanks.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah uh, might want to uninstall ADE 4.0 from your computer if you have it. http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/10/06/adobe-spying-users-collecting-data-ebook-libraries/#.VDQmkqXF-Uk

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Looks like my local used market is pretty bad when it comes to Kindle Paperwhites. The ones I've found are either pretty much the same price new, or clearly stolen ones.

Can anyone chime in with how the Kobo Glo compares to the Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen? From what I can tell on Google, it looks to be right in the middle between the Paperwhite 1st gem and Paperwhite 2nd gen. It's selling used for about $95 CAD, which is $40 cheaper than the Kindle Paperwhite 2 used. We pay like 13% tax here, so most local sellers are all like, "save the tax!" which I guess is true, but annoying.

I can probably wait for a sale but I have an upcoming trip in November where an eReader would come pretty handy.

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006

Constellation I posted:

Looks like my local used market is pretty bad when it comes to Kindle Paperwhites. The ones I've found are either pretty much the same price new, or clearly stolen ones.

Can anyone chime in with how the Kobo Glo compares to the Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen? From what I can tell on Google, it looks to be right in the middle between the Paperwhite 1st gem and Paperwhite 2nd gen. It's selling used for about $95 CAD, which is $40 cheaper than the Kindle Paperwhite 2 used. We pay like 13% tax here, so most local sellers are all like, "save the tax!" which I guess is true, but annoying.

I can probably wait for a sale but I have an upcoming trip in November where an eReader would come pretty handy.

I haven't used any paperwhite/kindles but I do own a Glo.:canada: Overall I'm very happy with it. My only negative is the PC software is crap compared to what came with my Sony PRS 350. The lighting is great and I love it for travel. Hopefully someone who has experience with both can give you a more rounded opinion.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Lady Xava posted:

I haven't used any paperwhite/kindles but I do own a Glo.:canada: Overall I'm very happy with it. My only negative is the PC software is crap compared to what came with my Sony PRS 350. The lighting is great and I love it for travel. Hopefully someone who has experience with both can give you a more rounded opinion.

There's no reason not to use Calibre for any Kobo product, really. I haven't used a Kindle since back in the 3g keyboard days so I can't compare the two but I love my Glo. It's a little weak on annotations and series organization could use some work, and footnotes can be a bitch to click on with its ADE renderer (not so with the kobo .kepub renderer). Otherwise it does its job pretty well.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

There's no reason not to use Calibre for any Kobo product, really. I haven't used a Kindle since back in the 3g keyboard days so I can't compare the two but I love my Glo. It's a little weak on annotations and series organization could use some work, and footnotes can be a bitch to click on with its ADE renderer (not so with the kobo .kepub renderer). Otherwise it does its job pretty well.

You can also just install this plugin for Calibre to have it convert all your files to kepub, and then your Kobo will use its kepub renderer for everything. It's pretty neat.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Constellation I posted:

There isn't much of a used market for ereaders anywhere, they're far too niche. I've also had the same experience whilst looking on craigslist-esque sites for my country (almost RRP or obviously stolen) so I'm pretty much just gonna snag a replacement off Amazon when they have sales/discounts.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is an upgrade from a Keyboard to a Paperwhite 2 worth it? The Voyage is pretty much exactly what I was waiting for, but I have a 30% off any (current) Kindle voucher that's valid to the end of the year, so I don't think I can justify paying £170 for a Voyage when the Paperwhite is £77.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Voyage comes out in a few days, can't you wait? Or is it later in UK?

I much prefer Paperwhite to my old Keyboard, but you have to get used to not having page turn buttons. It's also a bit heavier than newer Kindles but also something you get used to. In return, the light is great and being able to tap on words and footnotes is so much better.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 14, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, I still have my old keyboard as a backup but the paperwhite is pretty great for what it is.

The only real downside is that sometimes when you tap the screen to turn the page, it highlights a word instead.

Still, I'm tempted to sell it and grab one of the newer ones with the bigger hard drive. IT'S NOT ENOUGH TO CARRY 1400 BOOKS AROUND WITH ME, I NEED AT LEAST 2000 OR I GET ANTSY! :byodood:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

smackfu posted:

Since it won't ship until the end of November, it only comes out in a few days in the US for those who preordered day one. Anyone ordering now will have to wait until after Thanksgiving.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

smackfu posted:

Can't use the voucher on this autumn's new Kindles/Fires unfortunately. Otherwise I'd probably be all over a Voyage for £120.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I'd say it's worth it just for the light.

The extras in the updated operating system are cool, but the light is pretty badass. After a while you'll start to wonder how you got along without a light up screen.

Basically if you are happy with the keyboard, the paperwhite works better and faster but with the lack of push buttons for turning pages. It's got an awesome screen though. I'd say it's worth the upgrade. Especially if you can sell the old keyboard for 30$ or so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I went from a Kindle 2 to a Paperwhite 1 and it was a big improvement. I would recommend it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Junkenstein posted:

Is an upgrade from a Keyboard to a Paperwhite 2 worth it? The Voyage is pretty much exactly what I was waiting for, but I have a 30% off any (current) Kindle voucher that's valid to the end of the year, so I don't think I can justify paying £170 for a Voyage when the Paperwhite is £77.

100% worth it as someone who did this a few months back.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The nice thing about the light is that you can just ignore it. I set it about halfway up and it works in pretty much all conditions. I'm kind of surprised the Voyage has adaptive lighting as a feature, actually. Maybe just to turn it down in the pitch dark?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'd just like to point out that you can usually resell a new-ish Kindle for not much less than you paid for it, so it can be worth it to do an immediate upgrade from old kindle to a recent Paperwhite, and then sell that later and use some of the cash towards buying a voyage once it's readily-available.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

When you buy a new Kindle and log in with your account, does it automatically restore all your content? Books, samples, and compilation organization?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AdmiralViscen posted:

When you buy a new Kindle and log in with your account, does it automatically restore all your content? Books, samples, and compilation organization?
No. Since you can have multiple devices on the same account and you may not want the same books, documents, samples, collections, etc. on all of them it would have no way of knowing which things to automatically download.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Just pre-ordered the Voyage. The estimated arrival date is now December 3-5, so if you are planning one as a Christmas gift don't hesitate much longer.

I also ordered the gimmicky origami case. I'm hoping it will be nicer than balancing my Kindle against a printer at work.

I'm upgrading from a Kindle 4 Touch and am looking forward to finally having a front light.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

effika posted:

I also ordered the gimmicky origami case. I'm hoping it will be nicer than balancing my Kindle against a printer at work.

I wish Amazon just put a slot on the side for covers to attach to, like an old-school Palm Vx:

For a book reader that's going in a bag, I care more about protecting the front than the back. I guess it's the same as the iPad smart covers really, but those are probably tied up in patents.

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006

Does Calibre work with library titles? I remember trying it when I first got my Glo and it didn't seem to be able to open them (or i was dumb and couldn't figure it out). Probably a good 80% of my reading is from my local library. That's one thing I really liked with the Sony software, it could handle both purchased and borrowed books.

For the time being I'm using ADE for PC. I only link up to Kobo software to check for updates once in a while.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Lady Xava posted:

Does Calibre work with library titles? I remember trying it when I first got my Glo and it didn't seem to be able to open them (or i was dumb and couldn't figure it out). Probably a good 80% of my reading is from my local library. That's one thing I really liked with the Sony software, it could handle both purchased and borrowed books.

For the time being I'm using ADE for PC. I only link up to Kobo software to check for updates once in a while.

Library books are done through Adobe Digital Editions for all ereaders except the Kindle. If you're on a Kindle, it actually goes through Amazon's website and then sends it wirelessly to your Kindle.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
When I bought a book from google it was on ADE and I couldn't get it on my kindle. I had to install some plugins for calibre and strip the drm then convert to mobi. So yeah you probably can but you have to get rid of the drm.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Crack posted:

When I bought a book from google it was on ADE and I couldn't get it on my kindle. I had to install some plugins for calibre and strip the drm then convert to mobi. So yeah you probably can but you have to get rid of the drm.

Same thing with library checkouts, you need to use ADE or strip the DRM to use Calibre. Kindle's library implementation is much better, isn't it downloaded directly to your device through wifi?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Same thing with library checkouts, you need to use ADE or strip the DRM to use Calibre. Kindle's library implementation is much better, isn't it downloaded directly to your device through wifi?

Yes, it's downloaded directly through wi-fi via Amazon. Pretty nifty.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

effika posted:

Just pre-ordered the Voyage. The estimated arrival date is now December 3-5, so if you are planning one as a Christmas gift don't hesitate much longer.

OTOH, when I ordered on Sep 23rd, my delivery date was Dec 11th. Now it's Oct 31st, six weeks earlier. So... not sure how trustworthy those initial delivery dates are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Probably they just ramped up the volume and could bring the delivery forward.