Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

No, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u84cH_bmTA

But with fire added to it, like Fire Sword in CT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

EVIL TOOT

I will never stop loving the awful 90's translation of that game :allears:

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?
Love it.

Has anybody here read Lina Darkstar's translation thread about FFVI, by the way? Was super interesting stuff back in the day, and the new GBA translations seem to line up pretty well with her analysis, except for a few Terra/Celes lines that still bug me.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Where can this be found? Translation stuff is always fun.

It was highly entertaining to know just how utterly vulgar the Sprite in Secret of Mana was written as, as was discussed in an LP thread a year or so back.

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe a lot of Japanese women are the 'oh but I can change him!" types. Squall, Seifer and Laguna are all in desperate need of a woman to fix them.

'scuse me, Mr. Laguna Loire is in no need of fixing. :catbert:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
While FF6 is a hot topic, does anybody happen to have any really high-quality/high-rez Amano art from it or know where I could get it? Like the SFAM box art, pieces like that. I'm decorating a nerd room and looking for good game and film posters. A lot of the scans online seem like they'd look poo poo blown up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm decorating a nerd room

Don't actually do this to your son no matter how much he thinks he'd like it right now :smith:

(Nah I'm just fuckin' with you)

Honestly, I'm not that surprised that it's hard to find hi-res Amano art probably for the same reason they don't put hi-res copyrighted images on Wikipedia. If you ask me, your best bet is to buy one or two of his artbooks and do a 300+ppi scan/reprint on 'em.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

While FF6 is a hot topic, does anybody happen to have any really high-quality/high-rez Amano art from it or know where I could get it? Like the SFAM box art, pieces like that. I'm decorating a nerd room and looking for good game and film posters. A lot of the scans online seem like they'd look poo poo blown up.

I have some of the Amano FF art books, if you want a few scans of stuff. Plenty of stuff on VI. I've got to be delicate with them though.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I'll just leave this here.

It looks kinda bonkers, and not at all what I was expecting.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

OHHHHH It abbreviates to Final Fantasy: ATB :v:

So it's basically a battle-only FF mashup? And it's cheap. I'm gonna check it out.

Edit: Wait it's not even battles really... you have a party and you tap them when they're ready and they do whatever. Umm

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 16, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They sprited all the Final Fantasy characters.

:stare:

This will be a rom-hackers wet dream.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

They sprited all the Final Fantasy characters.

:stare:

This will be a rom-hackers wet dream.

"20 classic unlockable jobs"
"an in-game shop will offer 35 premium characters from a number of FF titles"

Hope you're willing to pay for the fact that they made a cloud sprite

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Didn't they already have sprites of FF7 and FF8 characters from the PSX port of FF6?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

more like Final Fantasy IAP am I right guys

The basic mechanic sounds like it could be pretty fun if the levels are designed well: you assemble a huge party of characters who each have one ability, and you tap them to make them do it.

However, the description seems to suggest it will be relying extensively on scummy sorts of addiction-driven business models. Just under half the characters can only be unlocked using gachapon-style random payouts, you've got a strategy-obliterating powerup mode that unlocks every three hours or faster if you're willing to pay, that sort of thing.

Oh well.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Some more news on Lightning Returns: FF13

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508521 posted:

New character for Lightning Returns revealed in Jump #1
Her name is Lumina. More information should come out of the Famitsu article next week.
She is a help and hindrance... looks somewhat like Serah. The description says she looks like a gothic lolita version of Serah...

The magazine also has some updates on Lightning's costumes. Known in the game as "Wear" Lightning can equip up to three at once and change between them in real time during battles. If you paid attention to the Jump Festa trailer, you might have caught a glimpse at one known as "Dark Muse." It's the one that has the grill-shaped shield, chap-like pants, a camouflage jacket and a knife. Her other outfit revealed looks similar to a samurai's armor and is called "Alone in the Dust." Lightning herself will have new magic and abilities such as guard and evade.

Quests can be retrieved from a bulletin board similar to Marks in FFXII. By completing quests you can extend the time left in the world.

Don't ask for scans either.

dress spheres and a gothic serah twin oh goodie.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tactics Ogre's SNES/PSX version didn't have nearly the gameplay depth that the team did for FFT. Plus as broken as TG Cid and Math Skill was they were still mere childplay compared to Dragon Magic, Snapdragon weapons, and Animate/Retissue. Any one of which completely any utterly trivialized the game from that point on

Especially when you animate/retissue a pair of generic characters a few times then have them cast Snapdragon and make Denim dual wield them as a Lord, or give one to Presence and equip him with Starion. :unsmigghh:

I'm pretty sure all those are things you get by conquering the ridiculously difficult 100-level optional dungeon in the final chapter, as opposed to the game handing you T.G. Cid with a full third or more of the game left, who has all of Meliadoul's skills on him before you even encounter Meliadoul, which in itself is a pretty good indicator that there was some reshuffling and not a lot of testing going on for that part of the game.

There's things that Final Fantasy Tactics does better than Tactics Ogre, but 'balance' is not one of them.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't own an iPhone, so not gonna fall for that. If this comes for Android... Probably not even then. Unless it somehow costs less than the iPhone version and includes all the premium characters for free by a bug. :allears:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
If that shot of 40 Dragoons gang-jumping everything in sight didn't interest you in the app on some level then you might be a cold, soulless, unfeeling robot. :colbert:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Mordaedil posted:

If this comes for Android...

I look forward to buying it for Android sometime in late 2014.

Any FF game that has a pachinko-like rainbow FEVER! is an immediate purchase, imo.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Gothic Lolita? Man, they're trying to make this the Biggerester Anime© so that's something, I guess.

Edit:

Found a bad scan of the magazine.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 16, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I'll just leave this here.

It looks kinda bonkers, and not at all what I was expecting.

Just a heads up, that's a link to the New Zealand iOS store, and it doesn't appear to be available on the American one.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Uh well out of all the things that people speculated it might be, this is definitely the shittiest possibility.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Happy Blue Cow posted:

The Dressphere system was awesome.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Holy poo poo, she has some kind of facial expression.

She is already better than Serah.

Even if she is Serah.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jivjov posted:

Just a heads up, that's a link to the New Zealand iOS store, and it doesn't appear to be available on the American one.

The Appstore updates in local time so the NZ store always gets stuff first and is a good preview to see what's coming in the other stores later. If you're in the US it's coming in the next couple of hours I guess.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Azure_Horizon posted:

The Dressphere system was awesome.

Yeah but if Lightning's design is anything to go by, she'll have a bunch of different ways to look like poo poo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

She will also be voiced by Laura Bailey.

And will talk like Kainé. :getin:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Terper posted:

She will also be voiced by Laura Bailey.

And will talk like Kainé. :getin:

Now that would be something magical. :allears:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Bizarro Serah could be pretty great, but I'm not exactly hopeful considering how awful the dialogue was in the two earlier games.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The ATB trailer makes it look really really fun, dang.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Terper posted:

The ATB trailer makes it look really really fun, dang.

Heh, at 1:10 you can even see a SNES sprite version of Midgar while they battle 3 of those SOLDIER third class enemies or whatever. I wonder how the game play actually works, it looks cool but also a bit of a mess. Each dude has one move and you tap to execute?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ATB looks pretty fun actually.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Momomo posted:

Yeah but if Lightning's design is anything to go by, she'll have a bunch of different ways to look like poo poo.

If the gameplay is as great as XIII and XIII-2, it won't matter.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Dr Pepper posted:

It does look fun, but it also looks really easy. If all the player has to do is tap on the guys when they're ready for their one action, the majority of strategy would likely be in team composition which I assume will be decided pre-battle. Ah, who knows right now. I'll buy and see.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Dr Pepper posted:

It's going to be literally tapping a screen for hours on end but if that's what floats your boat then sure

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
ATB looks neat, but I'm skeptical on whether it has any real replay value. Seems like something that'll be novel for awhile but will quickly get stale. Plus, I'm wondering if there'll be more strategy beyond "Bring lots of guys and rub the screen a bunch until you win."

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Bland posted:

It's going to be literally tapping a screen for hours on end but if that's what floats your boat then sure

You just described almost every iphone game ever.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Bland posted:

Well, it worked for Theatrhythm. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bland posted:

Replace screen with button and you have every FF Game ever! :v:

(Except FFXII. :shepface:)

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Shaezerus posted:

Well, it worked for Theatrhythm. :v:

Theatrhythm had slightly more to it than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
ATB looks fun, but the pricing is out of control. I don't mind paying $4 for the game, but if you want to get all the characters it's an additional $35. Not only that, the character you receive at $1 a pop is random (it will be a new character every purchase so you don't receive duplicates, but it's still random). It would be fun to drop $1 on a Sabin character for a sweet suplex move, but to only have a 1/35 chance of getting him? No thanks. Additional worlds are also $4 each.