Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Here's a feel-good for the thread. James O'Keefe is so incensed by the terms of his just-ended probation for lying his way into a Louisiana Sen. Mary Landrieu's office that he got thrown off Tulane's campus for harassing the prosecutor who "ruined his life."

That prosecutor has the look of a man that you just don't gently caress with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

PostNouveau posted:

Here's a feel-good for the thread. James O'Keefe is so incensed by the terms of his just-ended probation for lying his way into a Louisiana Sen. Mary Landrieu's office that he got thrown off Tulane's campus for harassing the prosecutor who "ruined his life."

I feel like "shitbird" is a word made specifically for people like O'Keefe.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
O'Keefe strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to end up cracking completely at some point and jumping off something tall after downing a gallon of Irish whiskey and writing something incoherent. He's not your run of the mill polished turd hack like Hannity or something, he's quite clearly got serious issues.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

O'Keefe strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to end up cracking completely at some point and jumping off something tall after downing a gallon of Irish whiskey and writing something incoherent. He's not your run of the mill polished turd hack like Hannity or something, he's quite clearly got serious issues.

Oh yeah, definitely. The fact that as soon as he's able he goes back to Louisiana to dust off an old issue for a personal vendetta (and possibly opening himself to additional legal action in the process) instead of taking his lumps and moving on makes that pretty clear. And of course it's not the first time, poo poo always seems personal with him.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

Why does it have to be Irish whiskey?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
There was this hilarious interview I read like a week ago by O'Keefe where the interviewer completely kisses his rear end "You are the best journalist working today" (actual quote) and O'keefe claims paying a 100,000 settlement was a victory for him.

ReidRansom posted:

Any man who wears an ironic mustache and isn't being ironic is a dangerous man

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 17, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ah, the ACORN fakepimp guy? I wish something worse happened to him. I really do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Generic American posted:

Man, was anyone listening to Limbaugh yesterday? :stare: He went off on this huge tangent from Rachel Jeantel's CNN interview. What was it about, you might ask? Well, Trayvon was actually a homophobe! And poor, poor Zimmerman was the victim of a hate-crime, since Trayvon just wanted to gay-bash him. The basis for this?

-Trayvon told her on the phone that he looked like "a creepy rear end cracker".
-Rachel told him to run because, logically, she thought "creepy rear end cracker" could only mean "gay rapist".
-Enraged by the gall of what he thought was Zimmerman's gay lust for him, Trayvon circled back to teach him a lesson.

And he proceeded to treat this hypothetical as some brilliant revelation, since now the liberals are being forced to choose between the blacks and gays. :psyduck:

I heard it and was going to post it last night. It was bizarre. It was one of those "now hear me out, folks" moments where even he knows what he's saying is, at best, a stretch and and at worse complete bullshit, but it had an air about it like "Wow! I never thought about hat. It's so crazy it just might be true!"

To your average Rush listener, I'm sure it sounded like a demonstration of conservative, read-between-the-lines intellectualism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

I think the whole "ironic rape boat" thing provided ample evidence of that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
He's running around harassing people over something he plead guilty to?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No, you don't get it. He only plead guilty so he could be less distracted from seeking the truth

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah, the ACORN fakepimp guy? I wish something worse happened to him. I really do.
Mostly I just want everyone to stop pretending he ever at any point had an ounce of credibility. He first became known with that ACORN stunt, in which he was demonstrably deceiving the public, and in doing so set in motion the shuttering of an organization that existed primarily to help poor people. There are STILL people who believe ACORN is around and causing mass voter fraud. O'Keefe's "career" is basically a giant pile of partisan lies, with a sexual harassment/rape cherry on top.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Don't you get it? That prosecutor ruined his life by recusing himself from the matter since he knew the father of one of the other guys involved. Had he just done the right thing and ignore their violations of federal law by letting the whole thing slide since he had a loose connection to them then everything would be OK. Doesn't that rear end in a top hat understand that laws don't apply to people with connections?!

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Guilty Spork posted:

Mostly I just want everyone to stop pretending he ever at any point had an ounce of credibility. He first became known with that ACORN stunt, in which he was demonstrably deceiving the public, and in doing so set in motion the shuttering of an organization that existed primarily to help poor people. There are STILL people who believe ACORN is around and causing mass voter fraud. O'Keefe's "career" is basically a giant pile of partisan lies, with a sexual harassment/rape cherry on top.

Yea the article says "Video of the confrontation hasn't surface yet" most likely because he isn't done editing it to skew the prosecutor in the worst possible way.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
For those that didn't click through: O'Keefe originally started on his quest for revenge by showing up at this prosecutors house, harassing his wife and trying to force a copy of his book on her while someone stayed behind in the car filming them.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Rush is talking about Rachel Jeantel again today, responding to her mention of having a 3.0 GPA in school during a CBS interview. Rush explained that the 3.0 GPA was the product of rampant grade inflation at the hands of Democrat union thug teachers who maliciously hold back from teaching real knowledge in favor of indoctrinating the students with anti-American propaganda aimed at getting them to vote Democrat. Also, blacks and liberals, especially black liberals, are the main thing holding blacks back in society. Rush then spend a few minutes reflecting on how sad and tragic this was, how racism and the specter of slavery will never disappear from American society because of blacks and liberals keeping it alive.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

trying to force a copy of his book on her

We have assault with a deadly weapon

Book em

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If O'Keefe wasn't connected like he is, he would have been charged with national security crimes, considering he WIRETAPPED A SENATOR. That's supposed to be serious business.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

ReidRansom posted:

That prosecutor was forced to resign recently after it came out that 2 of his assistant US Attorneys were posting charged comments on several locally high profile federal cases. How he ended up landing with a cushy job at Tulane Law is beyond me. Here's a story on his troubles.

http://www.mainjustice.com/2012/12/07/inside-the-scandal-that-toppled-the-new-orleans-u-s-attorney/

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FlamingLiberal posted:

If O'Keefe wasn't connected like he is, he would have been charged with national security crimes, considering he WIRETAPPED A SENATOR. That's supposed to be serious business.
It's a sign of just how little esteem Congress holds itself in that Landrieu didn't have him tossed in the slammer for the rest of his twenties.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Why does it have to be Irish whiskey?

Yeah, O'Keefe doesn't seem like an Irish whiskey kind of guy to me. I can totally see him OD'ing on some kind of stimulant though.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah, O'Keefe doesn't seem like an Irish whiskey kind of guy to me. I can totally see him OD'ing on some kind of stimulant though.

If they still made Zima, he's a Zima guy.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Alright, buddy, but it's got to be a stimulant with a play on the very Irish name of O'Keefe.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Given his history of Irish-related pranks I assume he's the kind of guy who would drink Irish whiskey. Which brand, I don't know.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

XyloJW posted:

Alright, buddy, but it's got to be a stimulant with a play on the very Irish name of O'Keefe.

Molly?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I imagined him to be a flavored rum drinker. "Panty dropper" etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

XyloJW posted:

According to Wikipedia, Ireland's primary drug problem right now is heroin. I can see O'Keefe on heroin.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Given his probable interest in his 'heritage' and this vibe I get that he's a show-drinker and not a pro-drinker I could easily see O'Keefe fighting grimaces as he sips irish whiskey on heavy rocks at some cocktail party.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I cannot even begin to tell you how awesome it would be if some conservative shill fuckhead took molly and then went on the air and admitted everything they're really thinking. My god, it would be like a nuclear bomb hitting conservative ideology.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I don't think I've ever seen/heard as many black people on right wing media as I have in the last two days. It's like they've erected a human wall of black people that they can stand behind while lobbing racist bombshells. I'd almost feel sorry for people like Alveda King if she wasn't such an objectively horrible person. She's obviously a single issue Leviticus evangelical voter but they only cart her out so she can talk about how some issue is totally due to black people acting crazy.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Warchicken posted:

I cannot even begin to tell you how awesome it would be if some conservative shill fuckhead took molly and then went on the air and admitted everything they're really thinking. My god, it would be like a nuclear bomb hitting conservative ideology.

That would pair well with the gifts the Strategy Group For Media hand out.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Given his history of Irish-related pranks I assume he's the kind of guy who would drink Irish whiskey. Which brand, I don't know.

The same brand every clueless jackass who proclaims their Irish heritage but doesn't know gently caress-all about it: Jameson, the Americanest of Irish whiskies.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was a harmless joke, though. You know how Republicans are with humor.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Intel&Sebastian posted:

For those that didn't click through: O'Keefe originally started on his quest for revenge by showing up at this prosecutors house, harassing his wife and trying to force a copy of his book on her while someone stayed behind in the car filming them.

The Right Wing's Michael Moore, everyone.

This is completely equivalent to Moore's stunts.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

Rape Hillary again?

Because you know he says those things and gets off scott free.
It's almost as if threats are only taken seriously if you fail the paper bag test. The Christian right and extremist hate groups have been getting away with death threats for years.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/07/muslim-american-surveillance-new-york?page=1

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

McDowell posted:

The Right Wing's Michael Moore, everyone.

This is completely equivalent to Moore's stunts.

I can't stand Michael Moore, but it's a little disingenuous to compare O'Keefe's tamest stunt to Michael Moore and say they are the ideological equivalents of each other. I'm pretty sure Michael Moore has never broken the law or even if he has he has never lured any women onto creepy sex dungeon boat stings.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I can't stand Michael Moore, but it's a little disingenuous to compare O'Keefe's tamest stunt to Michael Moore and say they are the ideological equivalents of each other. I'm pretty sure Michael Moore has never broken the law or even if he has he has never lured any women onto creepy sex dungeon boat stings.

Yeah, Moore is nothing special, but I'm sure if you start trashtalking O'Keefe to a conservative that 'moral equivalence' will happen almost instantly.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mr. mephistopheles posted:

But you see, both sides are equally bad, because reasons.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have a theory. I think sometimes these types of people genuinely do not understand why the sexist and racist poo poo they say is sexist and racist. They seriously think sexism and racism are random labels just thrown out by Liberals. So, they think they can do the same thing by randomly throwing out labels and acting like its a counter argument.

This is true. Their worldview is such that they are the arbiters of all common sense with a healthy dose of naive idealism about the world. "Men loving men is not normal, and so therefore it shouldn't exist." :biotruths: "Black people don't talk normal so they're dumb, and there sure are a lot in prison so they must be committing most of the crime." "If you don't coerce people by withholding food/housing/healthcare then people won't want to work." The list of really dumb, but very common sense, things abounds.

Any kind of more learned perspective on these issues that is at first slightly unintuitive is completely rejected out of hand as being nonsensical when compared with their "common sense" approach to the issues. Anything that requires a second layer of understanding is completely thrown away.

So while we, on this forum, have a pretty clear idea of what sexism and racism are, they're really perplexed by it. It feels extremely random to them. They can't fathom how something that is perceived by them to be an innocuous truth about the world could be deemed abhorrent by other portions of society. This is why you see them complain about leftists having these dastardly plans about PC language. They are not capable of understanding the clear logic behind it, and so dismiss all of it as a cudgel wielded arbitrarily against their team.

Their blind acceptance of culture war rhetoric and pro wrestling approach to politics causes them to dismiss racism/sexism as a tool in those fights. This is why they're so interested in trying to point out hypocrisy on the left. Any perceived hypocrisy on the left becomes evidence for their claim that Democrats' only interest is in hurting the opposing team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Generic American posted:

Man, was anyone listening to Limbaugh yesterday? :stare: He went off on this huge tangent from Rachel Jeantel's CNN interview. What was it about, you might ask? Well, Trayvon was actually a homophobe! And poor, poor Zimmerman was the victim of a hate-crime, since Trayvon just wanted to gay-bash him. The basis for this?

-Trayvon told her on the phone that he looked like "a creepy rear end cracker".
-Rachel told him to run because, logically, she thought "creepy rear end cracker" could only mean "gay rapist".
-Enraged by the gall of what he thought was Zimmerman's gay lust for him, Trayvon circled back to teach him a lesson.

And he proceeded to treat this hypothetical as some brilliant revelation, since now the liberals are being forced to choose between the blacks and gays. :psyduck:

My favorite part of yesterdays show was when a woman called in talking about how she had listened to Rush for 15 years and that he had opened up her eyes. Then she said something along the lines of "Do you think that Rachel feels a little guilty now for sewing the seeds of doubt in Trayvons mind anout Zimmerman being a rapist which caused him to act out in this way?" Rush said "Ehhhhh I'm just not seeing that" and she just responded "me neither."

Those are always my favorite callers. They call up with a revelation they think Rush will love and he has to pretend like it isn't completely retarded by immediately talking over them or turning their question into something totally different and not letting them speak again. It must destroy those people. Or it reinforces the fact that only Rush has the real answers.