Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Crosspost from osha.jpg

loving house flipper, you know that's far from the worst strutural failure they have created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Crosspost from osha.jpg

I want to know what's keeping the trunk open...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cage posted:

Its ok guys, he let some air out of the tires.

I liked it better with full tires denting the poo poo out of his roof

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

nitrogen posted:

Is that lashed to the body panels, and not any story part of the frame?

...wow.

Might have one lashing that's under the chassis, but I'm betting it's aaalll secured to the paneling.

Devor posted:

I liked it better with full tires denting the poo poo out of his roof

And this.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I don't know what it is about the neighborhood I live in, but people here can't use the center turn lane to turn left for some hosed up reason.

Don't look surprised if I crawl up your loving rear end with the horn and high beams going if you came to a full stop in the traffic lane when there's a specially marked lane for you to stop and turn from!

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

EightBit posted:

I don't know what it is about the neighborhood I live in, but people here can't use the center turn lane to turn left for some hosed up reason.

Don't look surprised if I crawl up your loving rear end with the horn and high beams going if you came to a full stop in the traffic lane when there's a specially marked lane for you to stop and turn from!

The version of that we have here is that they will almost come to a complete stop and then move into the turn lane at the very last moment before they turn.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

The version of that we have here is that they will almost come to a complete stop and then move into the turn lane at the very last moment before they turn.

And forgetting their turn signal until they are half way into the turn lane.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Uthor posted:

And forgetting their turn signal until they are half way into the turn lane.

That would be an improvement, since turn signals aren't really used that much when they really need it. I'll see people in the left turn lane at a stoplight with the turn signal on but it's kind of unneeded there since you know they are going left just from what lane they are in.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

loving house flipper, you know that's far from the worst strutural failure they have created.

Thats the area code for Tampa, where many companies will pay you a pittance to drive around with their ads on your car if you drive X amount each day. Also, God drat it Florida.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Really though, flashing yellow left turn lights can go gently caress themselves. Especially when there isn't a break in traffic and the light goes from flashing to a solid yellow to solid red.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I'll see people in the left turn lane at a stoplight with the turn signal on but it's kind of unneeded there since you know they are going left just from what lane they are in.

I admire your optimism, and also hope it doesn't get you wrecked one day when you fail to anticipate the dude in the left turn lane making a right turn in front of you. :v:

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Really though, flashing yellow left turn lights can go gently caress themselves. Especially when there isn't a break in traffic and the light goes from flashing to a solid yellow to solid red.

Isn't the flashing yellow just a new extra indicator for the arrowless solid green phase at a semi-protected left? You should be entering the intersection on the flashing yellow (just pulling across the stop line, not entering the oncoming lanes yet) and then waiting until there is a break to complete your turn. If there is no break, then you wait until the end of the cycle when the oncoming lanes go red and then complete your turn to exit the intersection (which is legal in most places since you are already in the intersection, having entered it legally on the flashing yellow earlier). If you can't do that, then just wait for the solid green arrow on the next cycle.

If there is no solid green arrow phase at that intersection, then it might be easier to find an alternative to turning left there; make a U-turn further up the road at a protected left, or make a right onto the cross street and turn around somewhere there, or something. There are always those lovely intersections where it just isn't possible or advisable to make a particular turn at certain times of the day (or at all), but it's usually pretty easy to look at Google Maps and find a way to avoid it. You might also consider writing a letter to your local planning office to suggest adding a protected left phase at a particularly nasty intersection; if they get a bunch of complaints, it's always possible that someone might actually decide to do something about it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Was on my way to Canterbury today, and on my way there on the other side of the road there is a Micra with two old ladies sitting inside chatting away. Except their Micra wasn't moving, it was just sitting in the road, foot on the brakes, just doing nothing while they nattered away, and an increasing queue of traffic was building up behind them.

I should point out as well this is on a 60mph single carriageway.

Some people. :psyduck:

Also sounds to me all the intersection problems people are having in this thread could be easily solved by replacing your intersections with roundabouts. :britain:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

dennyk posted:

I admire your optimism, and also hope it doesn't get you wrecked one day when you fail to anticipate the dude in the left turn lane making a right turn in front of you. :v:

Isn't the flashing yellow just a new extra indicator for the arrowless solid green phase at a semi-protected left? You should be entering the intersection on the flashing yellow (just pulling across the stop line, not entering the oncoming lanes yet) and then waiting until there is a break to complete your turn. If there is no break, then you wait until the end of the cycle when the oncoming lanes go red and then complete your turn to exit the intersection (which is legal in most places since you are already in the intersection, having entered it legally on the flashing yellow earlier). If you can't do that, then just wait for the solid green arrow on the next cycle.

If there is no solid green arrow phase at that intersection, then it might be easier to find an alternative to turning left there; make a U-turn further up the road at a protected left, or make a right onto the cross street and turn around somewhere there, or something. There are always those lovely intersections where it just isn't possible or advisable to make a particular turn at certain times of the day (or at all), but it's usually pretty easy to look at Google Maps and find a way to avoid it. You might also consider writing a letter to your local planning office to suggest adding a protected left phase at a particularly nasty intersection; if they get a bunch of complaints, it's always possible that someone might actually decide to do something about it.

Oh yeah? Thanks for the :effort: post. :shobon:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Ludicro posted:

Also sounds to me all the intersection problems people are having in this thread could be easily solved by replacing your intersections with roundabouts. :britain:

Yes but the US is a very conservative nation that collectively likes change even less than Britain.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Oh yeah? Thanks for the :effort: post. :shobon:

Around here, flashing yellows are a good thing. Old light programming went solid green protected left, solid yellow protected left, red protected left. Now it goes solid green protected left, flashing yellow protected left for the rest of the light cycle, then only goes to red at the end when the other direction is about to go. So it doesn't decrease the amount of green arrow you would have gotten before, it just eliminates those times when you're sitting at a light with a red arrow, but nobody is coming and it would be perfectly safe to turn if it weren't for that drat red arrow.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Raluek posted:

Around here, flashing yellows are a good thing. Old light programming went solid green protected left, solid yellow protected left, red protected left. Now it goes solid green protected left, flashing yellow protected left for the rest of the light cycle, then only goes to red at the end when the other direction is about to go. So it doesn't decrease the amount of green arrow you would have gotten before, it just eliminates those times when you're sitting at a light with a red arrow, but nobody is coming and it would be perfectly safe to turn if it weren't for that drat red arrow.

I found them really annoying at first, but people have gotten used to them now and aren't as confused. Also, the majority of the intersections have finally switched over (it was a slow rollout), so you aren't surprised from intersection to intersection as to what lights you will encounter.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jammyozzy posted:

I can't tell if this is malice, apathy, incompetence or a mix of the three. My only regret is I no longer drive a car narrow enough to squeeze in there without also blocking the Fiat driver's door.

The answer is, it's an invitation to key that piece of poo poo.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I think keying it would be going too far. Letting the air out of his tires on the other hand...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carry a grease pencil in your car, write rude messages on their window.

They get offended, you don't get arrested for damaging someone's property. Everyone wins!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

They get offended, you don't get arrested for damaging someone's property. Everyone wins!
Actually, you have to be careful even with that. If someone really wants to push it, anything that requires any effort to rectify (including cleaning off crayon or liquid chalk) can be "damage".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I think keying it would be going too far. Letting the air out of his tires on the other hand...

A friend of mine used to keep the tool you use to remove the core from a tire valve in his glove box for this sort of thing. You don't even have to remove them entirely, just loosen them a bit and they won't hold air properly so even if the person has a pump they'll just lose it all again.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
I pass semi trucks on the right if I have to.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Easy Mac posted:

I pass semi trucks on the right if I have to.

I end up doing this quite a bit since trucks have to use the middle lane and the right lane is 80% of the time the fastest lane during traffic. I'd be lying if I didn't clench a bit when it happens though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

In California it is vandalism. Which is stupid.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
First nm post I've seen that made me ???

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

"driving in the bay area"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

atomicthumbs posted:

Not accurate: a cop actually did something about someone driving like a sociopath.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Raluek posted:

Not accurate: a cop actually did something about someone driving like a sociopath.

I don't see that happening anywhere in this gif

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

atomicthumbs posted:

I don't see that happening anywhere in this gif

Oh, I took it to mean that he was stopping the guy with the 4-ways for going the wrong way. :shobon:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

That's a blue light. People will put a blue flashing light on their car and then drive around like they own the place.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ijustam posted:

That's a blue light. People will put a blue flashing light on their car and then drive around like they own the place.

I thought that only happened in Russia.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

ijustam posted:

How do they not get the poo poo ticketed out of them? In Florida at least it's illegal to even have one of those on your car unless you're a cop or something similar.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

atomicthumbs posted:

zipper_merging.gif

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Some loving moron sat in one of the straight-ahead lanes at a green light with his blinker on (there's a left turn only lane he should have been in) and got extremely mouthy when I honked. No, you can't wait for a left green arrow and take a left from the straight-only lane after blocking an entire line of traffic waiting to go straight when they have a green just because you're a loving retard and are in the wrong lane.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kastein posted:

Some loving moron sat in one of the straight-ahead lanes at a green light with his blinker on (there's a left turn only lane he should have been in) and got extremely mouthy when I honked. No, you can't wait for a left green arrow and take a left from the straight-only lane after blocking an entire line of traffic waiting to go straight when they have a green just because you're a loving retard and are in the wrong lane.

"But going to the next block and then turning would only satisfy 99% of my requirements! I'll just inconvenience everyone else and do exactly what I want, instead of something that's only 99% of what I want."

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

PT6A posted:

"But going to the next block and then turning would only satisfy 99% of my requirements! I'll just inconvenience everyone else and do exactly what I want, instead of something that's only 99% of what I want."

It hasn't been posted in a while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQSRPMFDTSs

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The problem with doing that is you've now just increased the time that rear end in a top hat is parked poorly since they now have to wait for AAA. It's lose lose.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've found that a half a sticker from a Jimmy John's sub will fit nicely over a registration sticker without looking too out of place. Park with your rear end end over my driveway? Enjoy some nice probable cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Goons demand justice for bad parkers.