Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

cruft posted:

ls -i will show you the inode number. If two files have the same inode number, they're hard linked.

Theeeeey don't. Rip.
Anyone know how I could set it up to hard link instead of copying? Right now it's using double the disk space it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

hbag posted:

anyone know how i can tell sonarr to hard link torrent files rather than copying them? or does it do that by default? i genuinely can't tell - the file modification times seem exactly the same in both directories so im ASSUMING it's hard linking?

Unfortunately it doesn't work across file systems.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

CopperHound posted:

Unfortunately it doesn't work across file systems.

huh, weird, that setting's on, but the inode numbers seem to be different regardless. theyre on the same filesystem

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hbag posted:

huh, weird, that setting's on, but the inode numbers seem to be different regardless. theyre on the same filesystem

It could also be that your underlying FS doesn't support hard links, you using FAT or something?

This is starting to feel like a job interview. Did I perchance happen to apply to work for hbag heavy industries?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

cruft posted:

It could also be that your underlying FS doesn't support hard links, you using FAT or something?

This is starting to feel like a job interview. Did I perchance happen to apply to work for hbag heavy industries?

BTRFS. It *is* RAID, though

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Are you running docker and passing a separate path for downloads and Media? That's the problem that I have on unraid right now and I'm too lazy to fix.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

if it's synology they also don't support symlinks either.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

god
... there's probably a way to get qbittorrent to delete torrents in a specific category after some time elapses right

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

hbag posted:

BTRFS. It *is* RAID, though

Is that stable enough to not just randomly eat your data now? :haw:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Wibla posted:

It's not RAID 0, so yeah.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

hbag posted:

god
... there's probably a way to get qbittorrent to delete torrents in a specific category after some time elapses right

If you or someone else finds out let us know here. I’m still rdping into my server every so often and doing it manually like a caveman.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
This guide is pretty handy for hard links, plex, and *arr servers. https://trash-guides.info/Hardlinks/How-to-setup-for/Synology/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wibla posted:

I've been using it in production for the last three years at work. It's my favorite filesystem now.

So I'm gonna go with "yes" 😁

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

it feels like Plex updates its UI every month. im not even sure if thats good or bad since they dont actually update the UX, just the look

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh you meant BTRFS
yeah that's been good for fuckin years

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

man
is there any way to force direct play or nah
because it always tries to convert it which just leads to it buffering, but if i switch to "original quality" it works perfeclty with no buffering

and yet it insists on transcoding it
and, no, setting the default quality to "maximum" doesn't do that, unlike you'd think. it just makes it transcode it higher.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

hbag posted:

man
is there any way to force direct play or nah
because it always tries to convert it which just leads to it buffering, but if i switch to "original quality" it works perfeclty with no buffering

and yet it insists on transcoding it
and, no, setting the default quality to "maximum" doesn't do that, unlike you'd think. it just makes it transcode it higher.

Need more info. What client device are you using to watch stuff on?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

teagone posted:

Need more info. What client device are you using to watch stuff on?

plex for windows. found out that turning default quality to max and then checking the option that tells it to steam files smaller than that at their original quality seems to do the trick

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

hbag posted:

god
My management solution~ is to have Qbit stop torrents at 1:1.5 shared, and sonarr to delete completed torrents. This means there's a copy that only sits about until it's completed seeding, then deleted.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Just got a new Shield Pro 2019 to go with my LG C1 so I can move the old Shield with the C7 to a new room. I have some Dolby Vision rips, but it's only showing the HDR logo when they start up in Plex. Other apps like Disney+ or Netflix are working with DV though. Am I missing something? It's also not playing the Atmos track.

Edit: I found another thread that said try it a few times since apparently it can be intermittent. Now I'm getting DV/Atmos to work about every other time I hit Play. Annoying and unexplained, but it works I guess.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 10, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

are there any good ways to improve the connection for people im sharing my server with
'cause right now ive just got it hooked up to my ethernet and apparently its buffering a lot for my friend

APPARENTLY its gigabit but i havent really done a test yet, gonna do that in the morning

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

hbag posted:

are there any good ways to improve the connection for people im sharing my server with
'cause right now ive just got it hooked up to my ethernet and apparently its buffering a lot for my friend

APPARENTLY its gigabit but i havent really done a test yet, gonna do that in the morning

If they're transcoding (very likely) there not a whole lot your going to be able to do about that with a 2 bay Synologys CPU (sorry just remembered that from the NAS thread).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Plex defaults to having a remote streaming cap of 2 megabits and your videos are almost certainly well above that. Your friend needs to adjust their default settings.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

hbag posted:

Your friend has to adjust their quality settings so that they direct play content from your Plex server/NAS, otherwise your NAS will be forced to transcode and that's no bueno since a NAS isn't really equipped to handle proper transcodes (unless you buy a Plex Pass for your account/server and enable hardware transcoding, which I think your NAS is capable of). Also keep in mind that your internet upload speed has to be able to exceed your media bitrate, otherwise that's another avenue which causes client buffering. [edit] So for example, if your ISP has an upload of 5Mbps and a movie your friend is trying to play is 10Mbps, they will buffer into oblivion.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 10, 2021

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a guide to which logs have what in them? Looking for network or crash issues.

In the last week I started getting a seemingly random (couple of times over a 30 minute episode) error where playback stops and it says I’ve lost connection with the Plex server.

Everything’s on a local LAN, hard wired, and I haven’t made any intentional network changes lately.

Plex is in an LXC container on proxmox, container looks stable

I tailed the main log but when the event happened it just appeared to rotate (tail -f stopped) and there was no crash info in the new log.

The Apple TV client has no connectivity issues with anything else.

edit: just happened again message on the client UI is “Can’t continue playback because the connection with your server was lost”

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Even though I've been using the new one since it was released, I switched my ATV Plex client to use the old player and haven't had any issues.

WTF v:shobon:v

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, at some point in the last 3 hours all of the devices on my home network have suddenly stopped being able to access my master server remotely.

This seemed to have happened in the background as we were streaming something to the TV via its plex app.

I've restarted the physical computer it's running from, installed any lingering plex updates and doublechecked it on the same wifi network (it is).

When i boot up the master server it loads up on the machine fine and i can run all of the content. However, when i try to access the server via the webclient at app.plex.tv, i can log in but it can't find the server.

The webclient also seems to have a new bluish interface that isn't the same one that loads up when i run the media server, but i dunno if that has anything to do with it.

My next stop is to clear my cookies and restart again but does anyone know what else i should try?

edit:

I'm wondering if it's the remote access settings bugging out for some reason (even though it shouldn't be remote access on my home network as far as i'm aware).

When i load up the plex server it says that it's not available outside your network, however there's a number in the manually specified public port box below that already. When i hit the retry button next to that it then tells me that the server is fully accessible outside my network.

But, still no dice with app.plex.tv on the same machine and when i refresh the browser tab for the server the message reverts back to saying it's not available outside my network.

I'm a bit stumped now to be honest because i've restarted everything (including my home network) i'm out of things i can think to try short of uninstalling everything and trying to set it all up from scratch.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 18, 2021

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Update on my crash: I checked the system logs instead of the plex logs and realize I'm getting oom-killed.

code:
[7541414.080990] Memory cgroup out of memory: Killed process 22963 (Plex Media Serv) total-vm:12721008kB, anon-rss:4152616kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:0kB, UID:100108 pgtables:16444kB oom_score_adj:0
Very weird, the LXC container has had 3GiB for ages, I just upped to 4, but still having issues. The total-vm (12GB) seems pretty runaway... any ideas on what's going on here?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hed posted:

Update on my crash: I checked the system logs instead of the plex logs and realize I'm getting oom-killed.

code:
[7541414.080990] Memory cgroup out of memory: Killed process 22963 (Plex Media Serv) total-vm:12721008kB, anon-rss:4152616kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:0kB, UID:100108 pgtables:16444kB oom_score_adj:0
Very weird, the LXC container has had 3GiB for ages, I just upped to 4, but still having issues. The total-vm (12GB) seems pretty runaway... any ideas on what's going on here?

The virtual memory includes memory mapped I/O, like libraries. You'll want to focus on the rss.

Sorry I don't have an answer for your primary question, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For those who don't subscribe to the newsletter, the Custom ordering option that's been in the collection properties for a year and didn't do anything... now does something! Select that and you can then drag and drop the items around in the collection as you desire.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hed posted:

Plex is in an LXC container on proxmox, container looks stable

I tailed the main log but when the event happened it just appeared to rotate (tail -f stopped) and there was no crash info in the new log.

Gonna blow your mind here: `tail -F log` will periodically check the filehandle for freshness and make sure you're tailing the live file. This is how you can leave a log tailing "forever" through rotations.

Hed posted:

Even though I've been using the new one since it was released, I switched my ATV Plex client to use the old player and haven't had any issues.

WTF v:shobon:v

Remember that even if you haven't updated your plex LXC container the appletv one force updates without your permission any time Plex tells it to do so, which can have odd interactions with your server. I would try giving plex an unlimited amount of ram (triple or quadruple your current amount) and see if it solves the issue. Run a database optimize, clean bundles, and perhaps just upgrade plex itself if you haven't in a long time. In the Troubleshooting section of your server admin panel (towards the bottom of the left hand sections) you can download all the logs and just have a look see there as well asynchronously. Do it right after a crash.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Gonna blow your mind here: `tail -F log` will periodically check the filehandle for freshness and make sure you're tailing the live file. This is how you can leave a log tailing "forever" through rotations.

This doesn't always work, it depends on how the file is "rotated". If the inode changes (as a result of an mv, for instance), tail won't pick it up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cruft posted:

This doesn't always work, it depends on how the file is "rotated". If the inode changes (as a result of an mv, for instance), tail won't pick it up.

This is what the `-F` is meant to handle specifically. `-f` will handle truncation cleanly ("echo blah > log.log") but will not handle the inode changing. You can set it to follow the name (default, at least in ubuntu linux and centos) or the descriptor with -F.

Try it out! Fire up 3 terminals. Try `tee` with and without the `-a` option, and `tail` with `-F` and `-f`. Don't forget to kill the while look when you're done. :v:

Term 1:
~/logs$ while true ; do echo log | tee -a log.log ; sleep 1; done

Term 2:
~/logs$ tail -F log.log
log
log
tail: 'log.log' has become inaccessible: No such file or directory
tail: 'log.log' has appeared; following new file
log
log

Term 3:
~/logs$ mv log.log log2.log

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

This is what the `-F` is meant to handle specifically. `-f` will handle truncation cleanly ("echo blah > log.log") but will not handle the inode changing. You can set it to follow the name (default, at least in ubuntu linux and centos) or the descriptor with -F.

Okay, you were right, you blew my mind!

I think I may have even known this ten years ago.

Wondering why you did "echo | tee -a log.log" instead of "echo >> log.log"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cruft posted:

Okay, you were right, you blew my mind!

I think I may have even known this ten years ago.

Wondering why you did "echo | tee -a log.log" instead of "echo >> log.log"

:psyboom:

Nothing more than I'm trying to get better at using commands I don't use frequently. Let's me see that the output is proceeding while tail is doing its thing.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any updates or thoughts on Plex’s gaming stuff? Is that dead on the vine or improving?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

The virtual memory includes memory mapped I/O, like libraries. You'll want to focus on the rss.

Sorry I don't have an answer for your primary question, though.

Thanks! I didn’t realize mmio was in the total-vm count so that makes sense.

H110Hawk posted:

Remember that even if you haven't updated your plex LXC container the appletv one force updates without your permission any time Plex tells it to do so, which can have odd interactions with your server. I would try giving plex an unlimited amount of ram (triple or quadruple your current amount) and see if it solves the issue. Run a database optimize, clean bundles, and perhaps just upgrade plex itself if you haven't in a long time. In the Troubleshooting section of your server admin panel (towards the bottom of the left hand sections) you can download all the logs and just have a look see there as well asynchronously. Do it right after a crash.

Thank you. I didn’t know about tail -F.

I only occasionally update the container’s server software so you’re right with the Apple TV it’s hard to peg to a certain client/server software combo but I did just put it up to 8GB/8GB swap. It’s not a huge deal to throw hardware at it since I have 96GB on the box but still odd it’s now a problem. I haven’t really been around to see if this fixes.

I will try the optimize/bundles stuff and see if that drops consumption at all.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
If I have a Dolby Vision file and someone tries to play it remote on a non-DV TV does that not work? The colors are coming in all weird for them.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

If I have a Dolby Vision file and someone tries to play it remote on a non-DV TV does that not work? The colors are coming in all weird for them.

I don’t have a good answer for you, but I have a DV file that doesn’t play correctly on my DV-enabled TV if I try to play it on my standard player (AppleTV4k). However, if I play it with the Plex app on the LG C8 itself, it plays fine.

I’m taking that to mean the file itself is ok and Plex is still sorting out issues with DV compatibility in its different apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Looking forward to getting The Email now that we're cancelling Plex Pass because the DVR isn't useful to us anymore.