Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So apparently people are up in arms because the Fall update installs additional functionality to the Photos app, but packed in an extension APPX, and consequently showing up as separate package in the installed applications list. For some reason, this is worth bitching about, than say sticking the stuff in the Photos app APPX itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Combat Pretzel posted:

So apparently people are up in arms because the Fall update installs additional functionality to the Photos app, but packed in an extension APPX, and consequently showing up as separate package in the installed applications list. For some reason, this is worth bitching about, than say sticking the stuff in the Photos app APPX itself.

Even odds they're mad because their 'uninstall everything' script has to be updated to include the new appx.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lmao if you've scripted removing apps instead of just installing os images from the internet.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ghostlight posted:

Lmao if you've scripted removing apps instead of just installing os images from the internet.

Well, both practices demonstrate exactly how highly you regard your Windows environment's integrity :v:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EoRaptor posted:

CEIP takes events and reports them to Microsoft to see if there is a bug that is common enough for MS to investigate. It's all anonymized and harmless, and it's also not the cause of your logoff.

Check the event viewer items before that, was there something else int he log, like a reboot sequence?

I get what you're saying but there's nothing for 45 minutes before that in the System log, and everything before that is routine stuff about compacting registry hives.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hed posted:

I get what you're saying but there's nothing for 45 minutes before that in the System log, and everything before that is routine stuff about compacting registry hives.

Because log-off doesn't get logged normally. Check the Security log for the actual log-off event. (It won't tell you why, just that it happened.)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

dont be mean to me posted:

Well, both practices demonstrate exactly how highly you regard your Windows environment's integrity :v:

I don't think removing apps shows a disregard for security or safety or really anything except the apps themselves

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

I don't think removing apps shows a disregard for security or safety or really anything except the apps themselves

The apps don't make their presence felt if you don't use them, especially if you're hitting start and typing the program you want to use, so I don't think it says anything about the apps either, more about how these people really need to get a hobby that isn't their computer.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Given the disk footprint of some of these apps, I can understand wanting to remove them. But then again, I might as well just have that conversation with my cactus, because usually I'm getting told that it doesn't matter because disk sizes. No one cares for efficiency anymore.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Dumb question: Does the Windows 10 Installer get updated over time to include major patches? I still have a stick with the installer on it that's over a year old and wondering if it would save me time just to download the whole thing over again instead of installing and updating afterwards.

Also, it's about goddamn time I reinstall windows. I just hope this stops my PC from crashing finally so I can actually game on it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ularg posted:

Dumb question: Does the Windows 10 Installer get updated over time to include major patches?

Yes.

Have you considered first trying the Reset function in Settings? (Settings > Update & security > Recovery)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ularg posted:

Dumb question: Does the Windows 10 Installer get updated over time to include major patches? I still have a stick with the installer on it that's over a year old and wondering if it would save me time just to download the whole thing over again instead of installing and updating afterwards.

Also, it's about goddamn time I reinstall windows. I just hope this stops my PC from crashing finally so I can actually game on it.

The installer exe itself barely gets changed. The files it will download do change roughly every 6 months to match the big updates that come every 6 months, so that you only need to download the updates since then.

So if you have a USB stick you set up with the tool to have Windows 10 installer on it, then yes you should update that USB stick. If you just have the little downloader stub, you don't need to update it, it'll detect the latest ISO/image and pull it down itself.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

nielsm posted:

Yes.

Have you considered first trying the Reset function in Settings? (Settings > Update & security > Recovery)

Well how bout that. This is something new. How much does it "reset" because I'm basically looking to pretty much redo every driver and update.

fishmech posted:

The installer exe itself barely gets changed. The files it will download do change roughly every 6 months to match the big updates that come every 6 months, so that you only need to download the updates since then.

So if you have a USB stick you set up with the tool to have Windows 10 installer on it, then yes you should update that USB stick. If you just have the little downloader stub, you don't need to update it, it'll detect the latest ISO/image and pull it down itself.

Thank you. If Reset Function doesn't work I'll do that next.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

weird; it was my experience that a given version of the media creation tool would always download a given version of windows and you had to get the newer version of MCT to get a newer windows version

I usually just downloaded the ISO to avoid that problem entirely. Would be nice if they fixed it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

weird; it was my experience that a given version of the media creation tool would always download a given version of windows and you had to get the newer version of MCT to get a newer windows version

I usually just downloaded the ISO to avoid that problem entirely. Would be nice if they fixed it.

Yes, you need to download the latest MCT to get the latest build. The MCT will also pull a verison of windows with integrated updates if MS has made it available, which they periodically do.

If you do plan on a re-install, the Fall Creators Update (ver 1710) is due to be released Oct 17th, so if you can wait a few days before grabbing the MCT and doing a reinstall, it'll save you needing to do a big update a few days after.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got the fall creators update sent to me via Windows Update today. I'm not on any insider branches.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

GreenNight posted:

I got the fall creators update sent to me via Windows Update today. I'm not on any insider branches.
Oh neat, I sure hope that means my nightly reboots are gonna stop. I'm on the release preview branch, and I'm getting updates every night.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Cool, the most recent windows 10 security update caused my surface pro 3 to constantly lose its connection to my wifi. How is Microsoft constantly breaking their own devices like this?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

Cool, the most recent windows 10 security update caused my surface pro 3 to constantly lose its connection to my wifi. How is Microsoft constantly breaking their own devices like this?

it's trying to save you from tomorrow's krackattack

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

astral posted:

it's trying to save you from tomorrow's krackattack

Lol, for the first time ever in my life I'm uninstalling a security update. I feel weird, but a tablet is pretty loving useless without an internet connection.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

cis autodrag posted:

My Surface Pro 3 has never worked very well TBH but updates have certainly made it worse in the past (especially the firmware ones which were supposed to fix battery life)

Did you have any wifi problems beforehand? Microsoft cheaped out and used some garbage wifi chip so I’ve never been happy with mine (compared to the Intel setups in my other systems)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Combat Pretzel posted:

Given the disk footprint of some of these apps, I can understand wanting to remove them. But then again, I might as well just have that conversation with my cactus, because usually I'm getting told that it doesn't matter because disk sizes. No one cares for efficiency anymore.

I hear you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there a free, lightweight PDF viewer that will let me view facing pages?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The apps don't make their presence felt if you don't use them

lol pull the other one

*goes back to searching for the magic registry keys to stop built-in appx from taking over file extension defaults again*

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there a free, lightweight PDF viewer that will let me view facing pages?

SumatraPDF

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Saw this in the fall update changelog;

code:
Windows is now smart enough to throttle inactive programs.
Oh boy, it's going to throttle current & active programs isn't it?

I had Windows 10 perform an update reboot during a running backup the other day, so I'd say it's not completely unlikely.

DURING A RUNNING BACKUP.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

mcbexx posted:

I had Windows 10 perform an update reboot during a running backup the other day, so I'd say it's not completely unlikely.

DURING A RUNNING BACKUP.

When did you last restart your computer before that point?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

:laffo:

This particular issue is absolutely a problem with windows, not the user.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Na, it's all the users fault. Reboot more, scrubs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe the OS should take dumb users that don't reboot into account and reboot itself when backup isn't running. :shrug:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Truga posted:

Maybe the OS should take dumb users that don't reboot into account and reboot itself when backup isn't running. :shrug:

How would it know that the software claiming to perform a backup is actually a legit backup program and not just something else claiming to be? Like say, a program designed just to prevent Windows from installing updates?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

10 minutes earlier, when it already had installed another update.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nielsm posted:

How would it know that the software claiming to perform a backup is actually a legit backup program and not just something else claiming to be? Like say, a program designed just to prevent Windows from installing updates?

because windows backup is made by loving microsoft, they can sign it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Truga posted:

because windows backup is made by loving microsoft, they can sign it.

quote:

Please do not power off or unplug your machine.
Performing backup...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Motherfucker! My start menu broke on the Fall update. The gently caress is this still happening?!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Mine works great. No problems here yet on the 3 computers I've gotten the update for.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Motherfucker! My start menu broke on the Fall update. The gently caress is this still happening?!

Just lol if you don't use Classic Start... though Microsoft intentionally breaks that so you need to reinstall it on every major update.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Just lol if you don't use Classic Start... though Microsoft intentionally breaks that so you need to reinstall it on every major update.

Why are they breaking just that, but not Start10? That has been fine for me through both big OS updates.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sininu posted:

Why are they breaking just that, but not Start10? That has been fine for me through both big OS updates.

Because Microsoft is as inconsistent as they are evil, of course.

I still remember when a Window update coincidentally broke Classic Start on the same day that someone hacked one of the Classic Start hosting mirrors and put an MBR virus into it... didn't affect me because I always install with Ninite, but yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nielsm posted:

yeah, wouldn't want malware potentially block a critical patch for barndoor.sys after the cow.exe buffer overflow