Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Waste of Breath posted:

I remember my dad giving me a $2 bill 20 years ago saying I needed to hold on to it because they were gonna stop making them.

Hadn't seen any news stories, but there must have been something getting passed around because yeah, a quick Google shows a flood of stories in the last two weeks, including CBS News linking their readers to a nonexistent website lmao

Can you link the CBS story in question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/have-a-2-bill-laying-around-it-could-be-worth-thousands/

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Checked the link posted in the article and I’m ecstatic to find out the excellent condition
1953A $2 bill I received as a tip from a customer a few years ago is now worth between $2.25-$5! In all seriousness it was in such great shape I thought it was fake at first. Looks and feels like it came right out of the mint.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

Checked the link posted in the article and I’m ecstatic to find out the excellent condition
1953A $2 bill I received as a tip from a customer a few years ago is now worth between $2.25-$5! In all seriousness it was in such great shape I thought it was fake at first. Looks and feels like it came right out of the mint.

The wildest thing I ever got was a silver certificate in change at a subway sandwich shop one time. No idea how it ended up in their register.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I found a super old $2 bill in a book and checked it's price on ebay. Worth a whole $2.50!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Midjack posted:

The wildest thing I ever got was a silver certificate in change at a subway sandwich shop one time. No idea how it ended up in their register.

Someone stole it from a collector and spent it like normal money because they weren't aware of the true value, didn't want to risk getting recognized as a thief when selling it to a collector willing to buy it, or just just didn't give a gently caress because it didn't cost them anything to obtain.

Very very very common for a jackass kid or junkie relative to steal grandpa's lifelong numismatic hobby or collection of silver coins then spend all of it for face value.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Midjack posted:

Are they actually valuable now? I remember I used to see them more frequently when I was kid (so, like, 1970s to 1980s) but haven't seen on in forever now.

Thanks for posting the article, and I have to say it also includes one of the dumbest sentences I have read in a long time: "The U.S. Currency Education Program says that as of 2017, there were 1.2 billion $2 bills in circulation, with a face value of $2.4 billion."

Why, yes, 1 x 2 = 2. Brilliant observation there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are they actually valuable now? I remember I used to see them more frequently when I was kid (so, like, 1970s to 1980s) but haven't seen on in forever now.

Last time I looked they commanded a slight premium over regular banknotes. Gold certificates were somewhat more valuable.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Thanks, very interesting. US Currency Auctions was the source for the media coverage, it looks like they released copy material that a bunch of networks ran with, I'm curious about the how or why. Their very tiny, unprofessional site was online until slightly after the stories ran; interestingly, the same PO box listed on their archived site is/was also used by some sort of online store selling gun scopes and optics, which has a similar hosting notice and, notably, the same "USCA" name. It appears likely both sites were crushed under the incoming traffic; I can occasionally get them to load.

https://www.uscagroup.com/

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 5, 2023

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Reiterpallasch posted:

I guess I'll admit that I actually got got by a phishing scam the other day that I thought was pretty slick once I stopped being mad. The scammers apparently broke into booking.com's email system because they were able to send a phishing mail, from the right domain and with the right headers, about a hotel reservation I'd made that had the right booking information and transaction PIN and confirmation number and everything. I'd probably be madder about it if I'd lost any money but fortunately the alarm bells went off in my head only about 30 seconds too late and I was able to freeze my credit card before anything but the first exploratory hold went through.

If I'm being honest the real villains of the piece are booking.com since I looked the scam up later and it's apparently been going on for months without them being able to kick the scammers out of their email system and while they've been insisting to everyone that would listen that there's Nothing Wrong, Actually.

Just an FYI, but email headers are some of the easiest poo poo to fake as long as you don't care about hearing back from the mark. Unless you're checking the Trusted Origination info from a provider like GMail, all you have to do is just like. Lie and say that it came from booking.com instead of b00king.com or whatever.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Neito posted:

Just an FYI, but email headers are some of the easiest poo poo to fake as long as you don't care about hearing back from the mark. Unless you're checking the Trusted Origination info from a provider like GMail, all you have to do is just like. Lie and say that it came from booking.com instead of b00king.com or whatever.

Ok, but isn't that what DKIM etc are supposed to solve?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Volmarias posted:

Ok, but isn't that what DKIM etc are supposed to solve?

Many many places don't use it or SPF.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I've seen a ton of Facebook ads/reels from influencers which all follow the same format:
1. Propose buying some asset (e.g. a trailer or a carwash)
2. Describe some low effort side-hustle which uses the asset, frequently renting it out
3. Give some arbitrary income per week/rent-out
4. Follow up with an annual dollar income amount.

This always ends with "and you can do this for $0 out of pocket using business credit." and follows up with what I assume is a link to the influencers book or course or whatever.

What's the deal here? Have business credit lenders (banks? Someone else?) been buying up a ton of influencer ads? Is it just a low effort stock format that someone sold to all the influencers?

It was so common, so sudden, and so insanely consistent that it can't be organic but I can't work out where it came from or what the scam is.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The meat of the grift is getting you to buy their book/course/exclusive group. There's *just* enough plausibility to get certain people on the hook. The actual steps they proffer are nonsense (what lender is going to extend the average viewer a line a business credit? How are you going to find people to rent out/use your asset consistently? etc) and largely irrelevant.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Funny you should ask.

LanceHunter posted:

How the Biggest Boutique Fitness Company Turned Suburban Moms Into Bankrupt Franchisees
Xponential’s brands—Pure Barre, CycleBar, Club Pilates, Row House, Rumble Boxing—all have fanatical followings. And some very alarmed business partners.

quote:

CycleBar is like SoulCycle if you were to strip out the grapefruit-scented candles, Instagram-celebrity trainers and culty vibe. A small army of spandexed thirty- and fortysomethings can typically be found spinning and sweating to the thump of Britney Spears or 2000s hip-hop playlists in a studio that feels more like a nightclub. Ripped, self-helpy instructors dish out tough-love mantras, while a leaderboard hovers overhead to inspire some and taunt the rest. The CycleBar aesthetic is so upscale bland, so tech-bro chic, it’s what you might imagine if Amazon were to birth a boutique spinning chain.

Chances are, a fan of the CycleBar experience will probably also like Pure Barre, where women tuck and pulse their way to toned fulfillment. For Pilates types, there’s Club Pilates, outfitted with rows of torture-chamber-looking reformer equipment, whereas those craving a cardio burst can hit up the treadmill-based interval training of Stride or join the crew at Row House. A dance workout at AKT promises a Shakira-esque physique created by the pop star’s celebrity trainer, Anna Kaiser. For pent-up aggression, there’s Rumble Boxing, a nightclub-style gym that Justin Bieber has frequented, while traditionalists can burn away that fat at Body Fit Training. Finally, to unclench those knotty muscles, you can downward-dog at YogaSix or get massaged by a flexologist at StretchLab.

There are about 3,000 of these fitness studios—sometimes several in the same suburban strip mall—and it’s no coincidence that they seem like different versions of the same thing. In 2015, California entrepreneur Anthony Geisler began acquiring these small studio chains. Between the time Equinox acquired SoulCycle in 2011 and Peloton fell back to Earth in 2022, Geisler quietly built the world’s biggest boutique workout empire, Xponential Fitness Inc.

To get there, he employed a growth model more typical of a McDonald’s or Dunkin’ Donuts. Instead of owning all the studios, Xponential franchises them, selling investors rights to the brand along with a business plan and the promise of corporate support. Three years after Geisler sold his first fitness franchise business, LA Boxing, he saw potential in a small California chain, Club Pilates. He bought it for roughly $2 million and about two years later sold a majority stake to private equity heavyweight TPG at a valuation of $100 million. TPG and Geisler decided to form Xponential, offering budding mini-moguls—some of them suburban, middle-class Pilates moms and creatine-popping dads who began as customers—the chance to own a Club Pilates. Soon they could own a CycleBar or YogaSix, too. “The things we hear from our franchisees all the time is, ‘I’m sick of making money for the man, I want to make money for myself, I want a second lease on life,’ ” said Geisler in an interview with Bloomberg Businessweek in November at the company’s headquarters in Irvine, California.

At the time Xponential surfaced, it seemed as if there was no limit to the long tail of bougie fitness. These weren’t the big box gyms of yore. Instead, the studios promised something more religious—along with the green juices and intermittent fasting breaks, a way to work your core or biceps that offered both a badge of honor and a way of life. To expand Xponential’s franchise business, Geisler targeted what he calls “corporate refugees,” people who were tired of working the traditional 9-to-5 or wanted to invest their 401(k) savings in something more lucrative. Persuading the studios’ die-hards to put their nest egg into opening a franchise wasn’t particularly hard. “I really loved the idea of bringing a big-city experience to the suburbs,” says Lisa, a CycleBar owner in Texas. “I was really drawn to inclusive fitness.” Samantha, who often went with friends to her local CycleBar, fell hard for the company’s pitch: For a few hundred thousand dollars, she’d collect checks amounting to about $400,000 a year just by following the corporate playbook.

But even as the pitch proved compelling to more and more Xponential customers, many found themselves trapped in a financial nightmare. On Samantha’s due diligence calls with Xponential’s team, she says she was reassured that the business practically ran on autopilot and that she could keep her corporate day job. But in 2022, soon after buying the franchise, she attended Xponential’s annual conference in Las Vegas and learned many of her peers were bleeding money, just as she was. “That was my first big shock,” Samantha says. “I realized I had been misled.”

[...]

More than 30 former and existing franchisees—not including some who are or were in active litigation with the company—spoke to Businessweek on the condition of anonymity because they feared legal retribution. They say Xponential deliberately misled them and their peers about the strength of the individual franchises prior to signing the agreement. Many of the franchisees—like Lisa, Samantha and others using first names here—are identified with pseudonyms to protect their identity. While they say that Covid-19 played a big role in struggles across the fitness industry, some signed the agreement post-pandemic and claim the company inflated revenue and profit projections based on unrealistic membership numbers and grossly underestimated costs. They also say it promised them the ability to run businesses as investors rather than as hands-on managers, oversold the success of other franchisees and was deceptive about the level of corporate support it would provide.

[...]

“Their model is very broken, and they shouldn’t be selling anyone on it,” says Brent Zartler, a franchisee who sold two of his three CycleBar studios in Florida and is trying to sell the remaining one. He says Xponential often touted one of his studios to potential franchisees as having a record 500 members before it even opened. “What they don’t tell these franchisees is it’s just been a slow, steady death with that studio,” says Zartler, who’s lost more than half a million dollars on his business and is planning to file for bankruptcy. “I’ve been working in gyms for 20 years, and I’ve never worked in a business where there’s been such a high attrition rate.”

[...]

Today many of the company’s franchisees—some of them once the brands’ biggest enthusiasts—have either declared bankruptcy or lost their retirement savings. Others have suffered nervous breakdowns or are under psychiatric care, attributing partial blame to Xponential. Wall Street is starting to sense some cracks in the company, which went public in 2021. In June a short-seller report alleged that Xponential was an “abusive” franchise and “a house of cards.” In August, AKT franchisees sued Xponential and Geisler, and recently more than 100 franchisees signed on to a potential class action lawsuit against Xponential. “Our investigation reveals systemic, substantial fraud in their model,” says David Bovino, founding attorney at Bovino & Associates PC. Meanwhile, even as the company announced another major acquisition in December—of weight loss chain Lindora—the US Securities and Exchange Commission is starting to investigate claims against the company, says a person who asked not to be named citing private matters. (A spokesperson for the SEC declined to comment. Xponential said the company is unaware of any investigation and hasn’t been contacted by the SEC regarding one.) “It’s not your average entrepreneurs starting a business and failing, which is normal,” says Kyle, a former Xponential franchisee who lost $1 million on his CycleBar studio. “This franchise is really sophisticated with their messaging and really good at getting new blood and sucking them dry.”

[...]

Emily, a former data analyst, and her husband are also trying to get out of their contract. After they became CycleBar regulars, Xponential told them in 2021 the cost to open their own studio would be between $400,000 and $500,000 and even gave them a loan. But it ended up costing the couple more than $700,000 to open the studio and, within a month, membership plummeted. It turned out this was a chronic problem for franchisees, in which revenue derived from memberships was often far below what Xponential projected. Problems were compounded by the company carpet-bombing promos for studios rather than helping them grow a sustainable membership base, Emily says. Earlier this year, when she told an Xponential executive her studio couldn’t get traffic up and might have to shut down, he threatened her. “He said, ‘You have children in the room, so I’m not going to go into all of the details, but the punchline is, you’ll be f---ed if you close,’ ” Emily says. (A spokesperson for Xponential said the company doesn’t tolerate or condone mistreatment of any kind.)

A few months later, the couple emailed corporate, explaining they couldn’t make payroll and would have to close their studio. After months of ignoring their calls, Xponential’s corporate team quickly responded by informing them they were in default and potentially subject to major liabilities. Today the couple is more than $1 million in debt and narrowly avoided foreclosure on their home by filing for bankruptcy this fall. “It has cost them zero dollars for me to open my studio, and they’ve made money off me, but I’ve lost everything,” says Emily, who’s now under the care of a psychiatric facility, which, she says, is largely because of the stress the business has caused. “It’s cheaper for them to strong-arm me into gifting them my studio, sign everything over, and then they turn around and sell it again to somebody else and let them go through the same thing. They’ve done it so many times.”

There's a whole lot more there. I guess some of these franchisees didn't stop and ask themselves why these type of small, specialized, single-workout gyms only typically only appear in big cities and not in the suburbs. (And if they paid attention, they'd also see that the trendy specialized single-workout gyms that exist in big cities today are different than the one that existed in those cities a decade ago...)

EDIT: Fixed duplicate paragraph in quote.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Found this article through work and thought it might be of interest to the thread: https://www.actionnews5.com/2023/12/09/memphis-senior-sues-regions-bank-says-employees-did-not-protect-her-scam/

tl;dr
An elderly woman gets scammed by a tech support scam, wires her life savings to a Hong Kong bank. Regions did not ask any clarifying questions regarding the transfers and didn't investigate them. Woman and her son are now suing for the amount of the scammed funds + $500k.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's just a poor victim searching for something to blame. The story even alleges that the bank did actually do their diligence by having a security officer talk to her after the teller reported the suspicious activity. As much as I like sticking it to large corporations I don't think the bank has much culpability here.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
When I worked for a credit card company we were explicitly instructed to not tell people they were falling for a scam. I used phrases like "This company isn't affiliated with Microsoft" "This is a foreign charge that has an additional fee." and "I personally recommend you take your computer to someone local."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm curious to hear the reason behind that. I understand that if someone has already sent their life savings to a scammer it's probably a good idea to be diplomatic to avoid coming off as victim blaming, but I don't see how saying "The person is trying to scam you" would be a bad thing if you can stop them before they lose all their money.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm guessing that experience has shown that confronting people directly just calcifies them in their existing opinions but gently leading them to realise themselves that they're being scammed is occasionally effective.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
When I worked at a grocery store that performed Western Union money transfers, we were allowed to deny transactions that seemed suspicious.

I had a guy come in to wire like 2 grand to someone. I asked how he knew the receiver, he told me "it's a new business partnership" and I immediately stopped the transaction and gave the guy the fraud brochure.

Dude wasn't happy about it at first, but actually did come in later telling me I was right. He was sending money for "training materials". No doubt he would never receive them if he had sent the money.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

SettingSun posted:

The meat of the grift is getting you to buy their book/course/exclusive group. There's *just* enough plausibility to get certain people on the hook. The actual steps they proffer are nonsense (what lender is going to extend the average viewer a line a business credit? How are you going to find people to rent out/use your asset consistently? etc) and largely irrelevant.

If Books Could Kill podcast has started on self-help finance books where the authors come out and recommend their readers run the scam of selling self-help finance books.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm curious to hear the reason behind that. I understand that if someone has already sent their life savings to a scammer it's probably a good idea to be diplomatic to avoid coming off as victim blaming, but I don't see how saying "The person is trying to scam you" would be a bad thing if you can stop them before they lose all their money.

Probably because they're a lot more liable when the money gets sent anyway because the customer blew up at the rep. "See you knew it was fraud and let me send it anyway (because otherwise I was going to keep screaming at you until you did)"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fezziwig posted:

When I worked at a grocery store that performed Western Union money transfers, we were allowed to deny transactions that seemed suspicious.

I had a guy come in to wire like 2 grand to someone. I asked how he knew the receiver, he told me "it's a new business partnership" and I immediately stopped the transaction and gave the guy the fraud brochure.

Dude wasn't happy about it at first, but actually did come in later telling me I was right. He was sending money for "training materials". No doubt he would never receive them if he had sent the money.

what's up former grocery store western union buddy?

How much was the biggest transaction you ever handled entirely in $5s and how many times did you count it? my record was $4,300 / 7x

bort
Mar 13, 2003

If you let agents tell customers they are being scammed, then I, a scammer, send people to work at your call center and make sure I’m the only one that gets business.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

what's up former grocery store western union buddy?

How much was the biggest transaction you ever handled entirely in $5s and how many times did you count it? my record was $4,300 / 7x

Never had it that crazy. Usually the smallest bills were 20s so I can't complain too much.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Greg12 posted:

If Books Could Kill podcast has started on self-help finance books where the authors come out and recommend their readers run the scam of selling self-help finance books.

Got a title for a good ep?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Professor Shark posted:

Got a title for a good ep?

The one about the book The Four-Hour Workweek

That book is the most explicit when it instructs the reader on how to get into the self-help book hustle.

buuuut you're missing a lot of the show's lore by not starting at the beginning

(the "lore" is just a few inside jokes about rich dad poor dad, I'm joking about there being lore)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Downloaded, thanks

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Hey, thanks for the If Books Could Kill recommendation. I listened to the first episode on Freakonomics, and I like these guys. They seem to know their poo poo, and they have a goal beyond just "mock bad thing."

I like the quiet one's (Peter?) interjections of "oh no" when the talky one (Michael, if the quiet one is Peter, otherwise switch the names :) ) was leading up to a thing where the book used "economics" to justify some racist bullshit.

"I'm sending you some pages now..." "Oh God... all right."

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Greg12 posted:

(the "lore" is just a few inside jokes about rich dad poor dad, I'm joking about there being lore)
My Dad was big into rich dad poor dad, I think he even bought a sequel or two. What is the deal with these books?

I did a little Google research, it seems like rdpd tells people that being a worker is bad because you will never get rich, being a business owner is good, but being an investor is the master level key to unlocking all the riches. I guess that's sort of sound financial advice, rich investors can infact make more money off of their investments, but it's difficult or almost impossible to become a rich investor in the first place.

Overall, I think my Dad's big idea was to find a side hustle and somehow build it into a business, just without actually putting in the time and effort since being a worker was not the rdpd way of becoming filthy rich.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember my mom bought me RDPD, thinking it was some kind of lifetime step by step financial advice thing

I never read it, based on what they said in the 4 Hour ep it sounds like I dodged a bullet

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
PAY👏 YOURSELF👏 FIRST👏

all I knew about rich dad poor dad was the chumbox ads with his picture in it

the book is a memoir that's full of lies and advice that boils down to "be rich enough that you can buy property from distressed sellers and get away with ripping people off"

the rich dad poor dad extended universe is a scam for selling real estate investing seminars

source: that podcast

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Just saw a very dangerous scam this morning. I got an email from a pretty legit looking email address (gmail, with a sane looking username) with a western-style name with no mis-spellings. The text itself was also clear and error free, thanking me for a recent purchase and included a pdf that was titled with an order-number type of name and previewed as a paypal receipt.

I almost clicked on it because I've been ordering various things for friends and family for the holidays. But I didn't recall using paypal recently to purchase anything, so I went to paypal directly and checked recent activity and sure enough there haven't been any transactions in the past month or so. I have no idea what that PDF would have done, but I don't have the sandbox to play with it. Marked the suspicious email as such, but I really want to impress that scams are sophisticated and targeted to get you when you're distracted. Especially this holiday season when folks are making lots of purchases and receipts and order confirmation emails are flying around like a blizzard.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

El Spamo posted:

Just saw a very dangerous scam this morning. I got an email from a pretty legit looking email address (gmail, with a sane looking username) with a western-style name with no mis-spellings. The text itself was also clear and error free, thanking me for a recent purchase and included a pdf that was titled with an order-number type of name and previewed as a paypal receipt.

I almost clicked on it because I've been ordering various things for friends and family for the holidays. But I didn't recall using paypal recently to purchase anything, so I went to paypal directly and checked recent activity and sure enough there haven't been any transactions in the past month or so. I have no idea what that PDF would have done, but I don't have the sandbox to play with it. Marked the suspicious email as such, but I really want to impress that scams are sophisticated and targeted to get you when you're distracted. Especially this holiday season when folks are making lots of purchases and receipts and order confirmation emails are flying around like a blizzard.

I've had three of those pop up recently. They are really well done, but I track my purchases carefully.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Can a pdf do anything bad if you click it in Gmail for example? I would think that is sand boxed enough.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah. Don't trust anything you are not explicitly expecting. If the email looks plausible go around the email and view the sites directly.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Yeah paranoia is justified.

Maybe Google has your back.

Maybe it's a zero day and you're about to get hosed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I just spend money and don't check my receipts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

PDFs are weird and can contain javascript so yeah. Probably depends on what you open it with.