Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davzz posted:

Honestly I just think it's because Beyond The Time is probably expensive - they had to have it in Z3-1 because it's the iconic Axis drop stage music which they haven't done for a while and then dropped it in 3-2.

I kinda think they'll eventually move into animating like how Guilty Gear does it where it's technically 3D models being given a 2D-ish look just to save money because this series seems pretty unsustainable in terms of profit/cost since the source material's glory days are long over...

Maybe the gloriest of glory days, but Gundam still brings in over 70 billion yen per annum, and IBO's last cour was the 13th most widely viewed anime in Japan. There's five mech anime of one stripe or another running in the coming season, and the top box office in the US this weekend was a movie where giant robots beat the hell out of monsters and/or each other.

I think not having the money to do a game like SRW due to complete genre failure is... not an immediate risk, to put it mildly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I’m just waiting for a new game on the PS3/PS4 engine; maybe in 2020 :negative:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zore posted:

The Wing animations continue to look pretty bad. And it looks like they ditched the slightly out of place animation the Nu Gundam had for the Hi-Nu and made it more generic.

Also Mazinkaiser vs Mazinger Zero is going to be rad. Do we know if Kouji's going to be able to get access to Zero or if its just an autonomous enemy this go around?

if it's going with the actual zero story then zero is definitely an enemy, and also justifies ttgl by itself because zero is craaaazy overpowered

though zero's finale is Literally Super Robot Wars so it's not like they have to change much

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh god it's out today and I have work all day and things after work.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

chiasaur11 posted:

There's five mech anime of one stripe or another running in the coming season, and the top box office in the US this weekend was a movie where giant robots beat the hell out of monsters and/or each other.

Speaking of the current season and the fact that Mega Man got into X-Omega, my fingers are crossed for Cutie Honey Universe getting in, given that Honey is an android/cyborg (depending on interpretation)

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

RoyalScion posted:

I’m just waiting for a new game on the PS3/PS4 engine; maybe in 2020 :negative:

I'll still waiting for SRW to come back to Nintendo. There were some solid DS games. Here's hoping the Switch gets a go at it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Revolver Bunker posted:

I'll still waiting for SRW to come back to Nintendo. There were some solid DS games. Here's hoping the Switch gets a go at it.

What do you mean come back, they released 3ds games as well

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

There’s been three PS4/Vita games since any 3DS games were released, right?

edit: wow, SRWX is less than 7gb. Is it known yet how long it is and/or its branch structure?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 28, 2018

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Kind of mixed on whether I should resume V or just start playing X. Seems like everyone was really happy with V though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I enjoyed V a lot. I got my platinum a few days ago after finishing Chitose route on NG+ and felt her route was a lot more fun because everyone seemed to like being around her and she was way more friendly and personable than Soji.

The game's regular, non-fierce battles route ending is so disappointing. I'd have been a little miffed if I did that one the first time around. I'll definitely get X but because of money and burnout I'll probably wait for the Christmas season.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Samurai Sanders posted:

There’s been three PS4/Vita games since any 3DS games were released, right?

edit: wow, SRWX is less than 7gb. Is it known yet how long it is and/or its branch structure?

The trophy for getting all SR points in 51 this time around compared to 50 in V. I don't think anything else has been determined beyond the fact there are at least some branches and secret scenarios based on the trophies.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Kind of mixed on whether I should resume V or just start playing X. Seems like everyone was really happy with V though.

Are you going to play X in Japanese or English? The translated version isn’t out for a month.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Tae posted:

I mean, the last 3DS game was in 2015...

We used to have 2-3 games per year being separated by around 4-6 months each because there were multiple SRW teams (and I guess pre-3DS, you could get away with a lot more with voiceless games)

Since MD, we've slowed down to 1 per year with only 1 team seemingly visible. (Edit: Oh wait, I guess the OG team is different so 2 then.)

Maybe they're getting their quick cash inflow from Mobage instead. Someone stated that the 3DS team is starting to hire people again though so who knows.

Davzz fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 28, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Davzz posted:

I mean, the last 3DS game was in 2015...

We used to have 2-3 games per year being separated by around 4-6 months each because there were multiple SRW teams (and I guess pre-3DS, you could get away with a lot more with voiceless games)

Since MD, we've slowed down to 1 per year with only 1 team seemingly visible. Maybe they're getting their quick cash inflow from Mobage instead. Someone stated that the 3DS team is starting to hire people again though so who knows.

They might be gearing up to transition to the Switch. The issue with the 3DS and Vita dying is that there's no good place to put the portable tier games outside of the Switch which takes substantially more resources for graphics, requires more voice acting etc than the 3DS and has a wholly different architecture.

Remember it took 2/3 years to transition from PS2->3 and PS3->4 post-release.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The portable games are usually more experimental so if they move those to Switch and even think about translating them I’ll be very happy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The only X spoiler I want is if Klim Nick has the Genius skill.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
There will definitely be a Switch SRW because money makes the world go round.

Davzz posted:

Fair enough.

I guess I'll have to change my statement to "I can't wait for SRW to have to go 3D for budget reasons so they can reuse all their X-Omega assets."

Weird thing to want the death of the series, but whatever floats your boat.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Switch SRW is just going to be the replacement to the Vita versions of all the PS4/Vita SRWs.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Tae posted:

The 3DS was unfortunately region locked so you would have to buy a Japanese 3DS in order to play it. Switch is back to being region free which is great.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Siliconera posted the latter half of the DLC stages.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Hokuto posted:

Okay, so I know nothing about Pretty Cure other than it being magical girl and Salia's voice actress was one, so I'm just gonna hope that in "The Adventures of Pretty Salian" Zero is playing a Tuxedo Mask character...if that archetype even exists in Pretty Cure.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hokuto posted:

Hmm, looks like the second half of the game deals with the modern world more, while the Al-Warth plots have a Disk 1 final battle at chapter 21+.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So.

I kind of did a dumb.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

So.

I kind of did a dumb.

Imp I thought you had more self control than this. :smith:

I will forgive you though if you can tell me all of the secrets of the game by the end of the week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Imp I thought you had more self control than this. :smith:

I will forgive you though if you can tell me all of the secrets of the game by the end of the week.

I thought I did too and then I blacked out and when I woke up the game was downloaded and I was covered in blood.

On the other hand I'm hanging out with a dapper-as-gently caress bird wearing an adorable suit and pince-nez so I came out ahead there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

Are you going to play X in Japanese or English? The translated version isn’t out for a month.
I've only ever played them in Japanese. I live in Japan, after all.

The opening visuals and music are fantasy as gently caress, feels like an old Tales game intro. Come to think of it, why didn't they give it a more fantasy-y title than X?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

MightyPretenders posted:

Hmm, looks like the second half of the game deals with the modern world more, while the Al-Warth plots have a Disk 1 final battle at chapter 21+.

Boo. That just makes this another multiple dimensions collide game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inferno-sama posted:

Okay, so I know nothing about Pretty Cure other than it being magical girl and Salia's voice actress was one, so I'm just gonna hope that in "The Adventures of Pretty Salian" Zero is playing a Tuxedo Mask character...if that archetype even exists in Pretty Cure.
There's been a couple of Tuxedo Mask-ish characters in Pretty Cure. The most hilarious of them is the one in heartcatch, who turned out to just be one of the doofy looking plant people from the fairy dimension, and when they found this out his later scenes were just him showing up to save them in doofy plant monster form.

what a handsome fellow

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es_vx5ujEwU

here's a g-self. spoiler: it looks good.

oh and this version of blazing loving rules.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Nice, looking forward to a chi-a chi adventure because that is blocked all over youtube and its the best Wataru song so the in game version better be rad!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Streaming for the next hour or so. Might make it through the prologue. Come chill.

e: jfc apparently the whole game is blocked now

I actually want archives of this game so I'm gonna set my capture card back up and come back later

Caphi fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 29, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

Boo. That just makes this another multiple dimensions collide game.
Still, V was handled in a more different way than I expected, so maybe this will be more than interesting than just OGS2 after stage 15.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Trying again (please come to tell me how it is because I've changed a bunch of my hardware).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hot loving drat Zelguard has officially won me over with this one.

People are saying it doesn't actually get a unit upgrade, just more attacks, but if the more attacks it gets are all like this I don't even mind.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Infinity Gaia posted:

People are saying it doesn't actually get a unit upgrade, just more attacks, but if the more attacks it gets are all like this I don't even mind.

(spoiler for this video) It turns itself into the projectile in a giant magical railgun. Holy poo poo I love Zelguard.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Comparing the chapter 1 video they released earlier to the one I played, I'm interested in Amari. She's totally out of her depth and constantly freaking out, and I know it's only one chapter and there's probably a ton of shared mysterious backstory that'll take over later, but I prefer it to Iori just being cool.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Infinity Gaia posted:

It not getting a proper upgrade would be weird, when was the last time that happened? I could see it being true, but I'd be sad cos upgrades are usually cool as hell. Unless this is part 1 of a 2 parter so we only get a little boost like the Brasta oh noooooo

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

cast me up a spell robo wizard

Very well young traveler I CAST HEADBUTT

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

mazinkaiser. holy poo poo some of these dks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=q6alCyjDMJU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

EthanSteele posted:

It not getting a proper upgrade would be weird, when was the last time that happened? I could see it being true, but I'd be sad cos upgrades are usually cool as hell. Unless this is part 1 of a 2 parter so we only get a little boost like the Brasta oh noooooo

L and technically Z2.1 were the only games where the original mech does not get upgraded to a fully new form. Maybe one of the really old ones? I haven't really played a lot of the pre-Alpha stuff.

No wait, Gunleon didn't get a new form, just more attacks. So it's actually not that uncommon.

• Locked thread