Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm kinda struggling to imagine an overhead zone attack tbh

Maybe some sort of vertical arc that hits both in front of and behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Dessel posted:

Because it's physically impossible to hit two buttons the exact same moment. On mouse you're able to do it within a tighter timeframe, but controllers will struggle more since the trigger only activates at roughly full pull in this game. I remember hearing that it's harder to manage on xbox pad due to how the bumper and trigger are aligned, as well?

I mean it's not physically impossible, just tricky. Plenty of people use trigger stops or just know where it breaks, plus most people on ps4 rebind their controls anyway, but that's not even the point.

The fact is they don't need to make the window so huge, they don't need to show the indicator this early, and they definitely don't need to do this weird cancel thing where you actually start the light/heavy animation and also pay the stamina cost. Just do it like any other game that takes a two button input.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
When do we get the first pair of new characters?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Remember a couple rounds ago when weebs won even though they had fewer overall war assets than red team and everyone got mad about it?

Red team just won the round even though weebs had greater deployed assets and I am exceptionally upset.

Blakkout posted:

When do we get the first pair of new characters?
In the last page-or-so someone said that 2 new characters were coming out at the three-month mark but I don't know if they are right.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just make ZA's block/parry from all directions, so they fulfill their intended loving purpose of clearing waves or wading wildly into melee but doing it against a competent fighter (like an actual human) gets you torn the gently caress up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Shockeh posted:

Just make ZA's block/parry from all directions, so they fulfill their intended loving purpose of clearing waves or wading wildly into melee but doing it against a competent fighter (like an actual human) gets you torn the gently caress up.

Nah, ZA has its use, just have it be consistent. The Raider's zone is an integral part of their ability to deal damage and is their only unblockable... you'd literally have to rebuild the class, which may not be a bad idea but it's also a lot of work and therefore will never happen.

Honestly, they just need to get rid of the guard markers in Duel and Brawl modes, like Realistic difficulty. The markers are what seats gently caress up, the attacks consistently strike from specific sides, as far as I've seen. It would also either drastically raise the skill bar or just turn off casual people, so it'd be a double edged sword.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Transparency of information is always a good thing. There's too many (dead or otherwise corner case) FG's already with 'you just have to know this' bullshit (look at you, ambiguously animated overheads) - The markers are one of the better bits of the design, and they shouldn't be misleading.

Moves that intentionally are ambiguous is fine - Even an extra indicator (Yellow, for example) that tells you a given move could be X OR Y would be interesting, but don't hide it away. The flicker seems to be just unintended behaviour due to inputs - Frankly, that should be correctable if they get the defending players Guard state to respect whether the other player is locked or not.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Do they have dedicated servers yet for this game or is it still peer to peer?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It'll always be peer to peer.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

This game is pretty fun but everything about the grouping, menus, post game summary the works of it makes me extremely frustrated. Swords are falling from the sky there's 20 next clicks between rounds and poo poo is bogged down with lovely ui and menus that are just pictures.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

flashman posted:

This game is pretty fun but everything about the grouping, menus, post game summary the works of it makes me extremely frustrated. Swords are falling from the sky there's 20 next clicks between rounds and poo poo is bogged down with lovely ui and menus that are just pictures.

Yep.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

titties posted:

Remember a couple rounds ago when weebs won even though they had fewer overall war assets than red team and everyone got mad about it?

Red team just won the round even though weebs had greater deployed assets and I am exceptionally upset.

Not only that but they got 3rd place. Good. Raider life.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
A couple of times now I have duelled a rep 2 or 3 warden who only seemed to know the zone attack. The last one only did that and a few top attacks. No vortex no side light no parries nothing except zone attack. So of course I just kept my block to the left and it kept getting blocked but he still did it. How do you play so much and only know one move? More importantly how is that fun? Well it sure is fun beating them easily

e: also did plenty of slow top heavy attacks on him. basically inviting the counter. nothing.

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 13, 2017

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
I just came back after not playing since the first few days the game came out. My highest level character is level 6. I just played a prestige 6 kensai. Does matchmaking exist in this game?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Gammymajams posted:

I just came back after not playing since the first few days the game came out. My highest level character is level 6. I just played a prestige 6 kensai. Does matchmaking exist in this game?

no lol

just played as a Prestige 1 Nobushi with level 12 gear, my teammates all had poo poo gear too, we were against a full team of 108's. It came as no surprise when we got wiped pretty easily every round.

Good luck getting better when everyone else is gonna wipe the floor with you.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Duel matchmaking is especially bad. I think a lot of people are gaming it too by quitting before the fight ends. I'll fight some Prestige 0 level 12 PK and they'll bust out all these Techs and cancels, and parry your lights effortlessly.

4v4 is ridiculous and doesn't take gear into account so it's a total shitshow half the time.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Trillhouse posted:

Duel matchmaking is especially bad. I think a lot of people are gaming it too by quitting before the fight ends. I'll fight some Prestige 0 level 12 PK and they'll bust out all these Techs and cancels, and parry your lights effortlessly.

4v4 is ridiculous and doesn't take gear into account so it's a total shitshow half the time.

What's the best game mode to learn?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Trillhouse posted:

That level 12 PK might have a P15 Warden or something. Level doesn't indicate skill. I use techs and fancy combos on my level 19 Nobushi, cause I put a lot of time and effort into another class and learned them.

As for the best gamemode to learn, you can still play 2v2 (imho the best mode) and brace yourself to die a lot. It'll be more fun than going against bots. Though I'd wholeheartedly recommend you spend an hour or two training with a class you like the look of against bots that you slowly increase in difficulty. It'll teach you timings and stuff.

Then when you hop in against real players, you won't get curbstomped too badly.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
I played against level 2 peacekeeper bot for around 50 games. The problem with that is the bot dodges EVERY. SINGLE. ATTACK. that is avoidable, then hits you back. It's useful for practicing defence but nothing like playing a human. I ended up just under 50% winrate, although that was from taking advantage of environmental damage.

I also tried deathmatch and those guys can't fight. I ended up top of my team despite essentially being a noob. I'll give 2v2 a shot and see if it's better than 1v1. This would all be solved by decent matchmaking.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Yeah, the bots can be extremely frustrating because they blatantly read your inputs and occasionally have perfect defense as a result. It's seemingly random. Sometimes they're like a Bruce Lee Jeet Kun Do master with perfect timing, interrupting your guardbreaks and heavy attacks with a quick light of their own, dodging everything, parrying fast lights and zone attacks, etc., and sometimes it's like they gave the controller to their little brother who barely knows how to walk.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I still hate orochi and probably always will. There should be no way that an assassin can kill a heavy in 4 hits but every orochi (bots included) seem to be able to pull this off. If they can attack so fast then maybe they shouldn't be able to interupt and/or do way less damage. Maybe it's just me.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I still hate orochi and probably always will. There should be no way that an assassin can kill a heavy in 4 hits but every orochi (bots included) seem to be able to pull this off. If they can attack so fast then maybe they shouldn't be able to interupt and/or do way less damage. Maybe it's just me.

I hate Orochi almost entirely because of their zone attack. It looks like a top attack but then it hits side faster than I can switch and I fall for it just about every time. Doesn't help that the only other thing they seem to do is spam the double hit top light, so you're left guessing which of those two things is going to happen and that's the whole fight more often than not.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
A Duel as Nobushi, a Story:

The opponent: a Warden. But nary a shoulder bash in sight, a passive creature that doth rarely lash out with a single top light. I try my best with hidden stance sleight, effortlessly blocked, but nary a parry in sight. Then, a glimmer, the graceful foot goes unanswered, confusingly, bamboozles the warden till his end, thrice rounds in a line. Like a horse I buck, "keep spamming one move, you cuck" I think it is jest, but he cannot adapt, to the most simplest of moves he does disapprove. A rare match, easy and free, but take it from me, do not play Nobushi.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Gammymajams posted:

What's the best game mode to learn?

I would say brawl is possibly a little less intense than duel though of course there is the chance of a 2v1 situation. But definitely playing those two modes focusing on one character will skill you up pretty good. Just be prepared to die a lot but you'll be learning with every loss, and when you get better a decent fight which you lose is still fun. And remember prestige doesn't matter in 1v1 or 2v1 and often it's not necessarily a barometer of skill. Don't be intimidated.

For 4v4 you might not have much fun to start with but once you get to rep 1 you can at least get blue gear which will help, you'll be able to do fine with that. I would say skirmish and skirmish vs AI are the most chill 4v4 modes, it's basically an all out brawl where skill is less important

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Mambo No. 5 posted:

It's just you.

Well, let me be more elaborate: Orochi only has two viable attacks: zone and top lights. Storm rush to punish like couple of moves in game that have a long recovery and whiffs (attacks only hitting the air). Orochi is also a noob stomper so it's common to feel he's tough in the beginning. Zone will get easier once/if they fix flicker. Try to look for the animation instead of indicators. Orochi side lights are slower than any other class's but Kensei's and even I punish them fairly reliably with parries in mirror matches and my parry game is poo poo. (if Orochi is side lighting he has no idea what he's doing or doing some risky rare mind games/screwing around) Orochi zone also has more limited range than top so you can guard top pretty safely once you understand the range and disallow rapid approach and engagement.

Orochi mirror matches are also cancer. Once you get to a certain competency it often is just about luck. Who happens to top light one frame before the other etc.

Orochi is bad and I main him because I like suffering and the dream of a versatile toolkit. We also have no tools to open anyone who decides to turtle well. Your frustrations are understandable and I hate dealing with those attacks too but Orochi is lower middle tier with no place in competitive play.

Edit: Checked your post history and assuming you're on console he's tougher to deal with due to 30 FPS compared to the PC version. That low frame rate definitely works to Orochi's advantage on consoles.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 15, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Trillhouse posted:

A low leveled character doesn't meant that much since most skill based stuff in this game carries over between characters. If you can parry lights consistently so am I pretty sure that you'll just need to glance over the move list on a new character a few times until you hit level 10 or so and you'll dominate people since you clearly have put a lot of time into the game on other characters.

Also some of the worst players I've ever played against have been Prestige 5+. Prestige does not equal skill!

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Dessel posted:

It's just you.

Well, let me be more elaborate: Orochi only has two viable attacks: zone and top lights. Storm rush to punish like couple of moves in game that have a long recovery and whiffs (attacks only hitting the air). Orochi is also a noob stomper so it's common to feel he's tough in the beginning. Zone will get easier once/if they fix flicker. Try to look for the animation instead of indicators. Orochi side lights are slower than any other class's but Kensei's and even I punish them fairly reliably with parries in mirror matches and my parry game is poo poo. (if Orochi is side lighting he has no idea what he's doing or doing some risky rare mind games/screwing around) Orochi zone also has more limited range than top so you can guard top pretty safely once you understand the range and disallow rapid approach and engagement.

Orochi mirror matches are also cancer. Once you get to a certain competency it often is just about luck. Who happens to top light one frame before the other etc.

Orochi is bad and I main him because I like suffering and the dream of a versatile toolkit. We also have no tools to open anyone who decides to turtle well. Your frustrations are understandable and I hate dealing with those attacks too but Orochi is lower middle tier with no place in competitive play.

Edit: Checked your post history and assuming you're on console he's tougher to deal with due to 30 FPS compared to the PC version. That low frame rate definitely works to Orochi's advantage on consoles.

Maybe the framerate is why I can't parry assassins at all. I don't really have too many problems if fights unless it's against an assassin. Against any other class I can parry fairly well (and by that I mean like 2/3).

I like to think that I'm not a bad player but then I run into an assassin, even a bot assassin, and I pretty much get dumped on. Only when they are really bad can I beat them, and usually it's over quickly.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Maybe the framerate is why I can't parry assassins at all. I don't really have too many problems if fights unless it's against an assassin. Against any other class I can parry fairly well (and by that I mean like 2/3).

I like to think that I'm not a bad player but then I run into an assassin, even a bot assassin, and I pretty much get dumped on. Only when they are really bad can I beat them, and usually it's over quickly.

There's a story going around about a competitive player that couldn't even block moves he was used to parrying when he tried the game on a console. This in combination with TV latency, large deadzone for guard changes... Changes the nature of the game on console. Some math shows at least PK zones being impossible to block on reaction on consoles. Maybe even lights to a degree. At any rate there's a community consensus that consoles are different to the PC due to FPS and the other two issues I mentioned.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mambo No. 5 posted:

an orochi can only deal damage to you if you allow it. The Orochi has literally no way to break a defensive player outside of basic guard breaks

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I don't like turtles and don't like playing as one. It really irks me though when something should have been deflected/parried and instead I take it on the chin.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I don't like turtles and don't like playing as one. It really irks me though when something should have been deflected/parried and instead I take it on the chin.

Same, it seems like the optimal way to play this game and most games kind of defeats the purpose of playing games.

I want to have an edge-of-your-seat battle that is exciting and fun but that is impossible against players that literally do not attack because they need to maintain their kdr or global ranking or whatever. Just get in there and have a loving sword fight jfc.

That's why I am happy being solidly in the middle where most people actually do things.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Pretty much, though I enjoy playing as a conq because the sound effects are loving amazing but any time I go up against one it's non stop block fest. Swing your poo poo around! It's fun!

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

To some extent it's a risk-reward thing. I am ten times more satisfied knowing that I tried to get that bleed damage with Valk and getting beat (and a million times more satisfied getting the kill with risky stuff) than I am playing it safe and winning.

Even with all of the frustration this game gives me, I still look forward to the new classes and the changes that are coming to the game. I've saved up enough steel for at least one and I have to resist the urge to buy packs every time I go in to clean out my inventory. I'm also running out of heroes to get to pres 1. Warden and Big Shug are next, then all of the assassins, and maybe Nobushi but probably not.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

So is this game still one big turtlefest at high skill levels or is it still "too early" to say that it's the definitive best way to play the game

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Minorkos posted:

So is this game still one big turtlefest at high skill levels or is it still "too early" to say that it's the definitive best way to play the game

absolutely still is

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

absolutely still is

What a shame

Hopefully Reddit will force Ubisoft to push out a defense nerfing patch by summer and then I can come back to be a wise samurai man once again

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I've played a very, very lot of this game and i've not come across a single ultimate turtle so I don't know what the fuss is about. 99% of people want to attack, it's impossible to resist the urge to fight, and if you want to have fun in this game you fight not turtle

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Wandle Cax posted:

I've played a very, very lot of this game and i've not come across a single ultimate turtle so I don't know what the fuss is about. 99% of people want to attack, it's impossible to resist the urge to fight, and if you want to have fun in this game you fight not turtle

What class do you play? If you're something like a Peacekeeper then I imagine people are much more inclined to attack you as parrying your fast attacks is difficult. But when you play something like Shugoki, people will pretty much always sit and wait for you to attack because your attacks are slow and easy to parry. Unless of course you deny them that by using your charge and grabs, but that leads to people bitching about how broken and unfun it is.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Played against an LB and Raider a little bit ago that went full throw. My Valk was so sad falling off that cliff. My partner bailed so I switched to my pres3 Raider and proceeded to lay the smack down on those chumps. Ended up 3-1 with a bot partner that died almost instantly. I barely had to rely on revenge and I made their Raider look really bad. Gotta love that Stunning Tap.

Edit: playing Brawl, 3 wins - 1 loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
There are still AFK farmers on ps4 :cripes:

e: lmbo the latest one I saw circumvented their genius system by...running in a wider circle than normal