Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
One other issue is how much faster each escape attempt is after you have done it once. Just having the piloting neuromod already cuts out a whole stage, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

double nine posted:

I just finished the dlc (by having an "escape with all npcs" run), and I scratch my head at the people who say that crafting the time extension thingies makes things too easy. In my experience they're too ubiquitous even when you don't craft them.

I never crafted a single one, just used the ones that spawned randomly and my corruption level never went above 2. Now I did go through the trouble of killing all entities that can drop the time extenders, but in general I think that the timer maybe shouldn't be used in a "save all" run in order to keep it challenging?

I can't even stand playing the game if the corruption is less than 3. It's too easy. I let it tick to 3 for my first character, then 4 for my second

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

QuarkJets posted:

It's barely a time limit at all, it's actually a really interesting difficulty slider

I finished my 5-man escape run and I still think it's a poorly implemented mechanic, I rather have enemies respawn everytime you enter a new area or re-enter one, and they gradually get harder each time.

Also I don't feel the ranged weapons need durability at all considering how OP the melee weapons and psi powers are.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You would think beating cosmic horrors with a wrench would reduce its durability.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

You would think beating cosmic horrors with a wrench would reduce its durability.

It's basically just a solid piece of steel though

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All the Typhon look pretty squishy too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mooncrash question, does anyone know how to release the nightmare in Pytheas Labs? The other two containment cells are obvious but I can't find a control panel that releases the big monster.

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 22, 2018

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

double nine posted:

Mooncrash question, does anyone know how to release the nightmare in Pytheas Labs? The other two containment cells are obvious but I can't find a control panel that releases the big monster.

You can't as far as I know but nightmares will spawn on corruption 4+ after you complete enough kasma objectives

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think it automatically gets out at enough corruption.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oh I know that, as one of them surprised me while I was q-beaming a sandshark and oneshot me like a jerk. I was just wondering if and how to farm that particular one for exotic materials.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Digirat posted:

I think it automatically gets out at enough corruption.

It does not, I've wandered through there at Corruption 5 and it'll still be hanging out in its cage.

But you can still get 2 Nightmares stalking you in the same area simultaneously at Corruption 4+ which is a barrel of fun

double nine posted:

Oh I know that, as one of them surprised me while I was q-beaming a sandshark and oneshot me like a jerk. I was just wondering if and how to farm that particular one for exotic materials.

At Corruption 4+ Nightmares will periodically respawn in every zone, so you can farm them, for materials and time loops. But I honestly don't think I ever had a shortage of exotic materials

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Can you max out all your powers in mooncrash?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Can you max out all your powers in mooncrash?

Yeah, there's an achievement for it too. The way I did it was to ignore the Volunteer's story mission, and do 5-escape runs a few times to get enough sim points and recyclables for neuromods.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

This sounds good. I found out prey runs really well on a fury card (smooth and maxed at 75hz, 2560 X 1080), so I have to play mooncrash now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

double nine posted:

Not sure how exotic materials are limiting you in mooncrash. It's like an inverse of the main game. I'd have 30 purple cubes but be scraping for the grey and orange cubes I needed to actually make neuromods with them. Eventually I was just ignoring the exotic material bits on dead enemies to leave room for wires or whatever.

I really wish inventory size upgrades were available on every character instead of just one.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Digirat posted:

Not sure how exotic materials are limiting you in mooncrash. It's like an inverse of the main game. I'd have 30 purple cubes but be scraping for the grey and orange cubes I needed to actually make neuromods with them. Eventually I was just ignoring the exotic material bits on dead enemies to leave room for wires or whatever.

I really wish inventory size upgrades were available on every character instead of just one.

exotic materials are only limiting me at the end of a run, when I turn everything in my inventory, including weapons, medkits and ammo stacks, into raw materials for neuromods. You're right that organic and metal matter is overall a lot more restraining.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Exotics aren't the limiting materials by the end in the main game too.

BTW is there still a way to get the preorder bonuses now? I want my free 3x Neuromods. Nevermind I got it from a totally-not-shady-who-shall-not-be-named key selling site.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 24, 2018

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Any advice on how to start off in this game? Never played system shock and all the choice is a bit bewildering. Any builds or skills that are must haves?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Vlex posted:

Any advice on how to start off in this game? Never played system shock and all the choice is a bit bewildering. Any builds or skills that are must haves?

My advice isnt really worth anything but I played most of the game on hard and just picked whatever.

Health boosts are obviously useful, wrench is good if you upgrade it (I didnt). Movement/ jump stuff is useful while navigating and zipping around in combat.

The real fun starts when you start learning alien powers.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vlex posted:

There are not really any must-haves or trap options. In general, pick things as you need them. Its not worth increasing inventory space if you're not coming close to the carry limit, for instance. You will be able to do everything eventually, but until then, skills can really broadly be grouped into combat, exploration, or economy options, with a lot having overlap. Early on its probably worth being a bit more specific in terms of how you want to kill things, so spreading all of your options out might not be the best. I liked taking two points in Leverage because it gave me some exploration utility and ammo-free ranged combat options, but clever use of the GLOO gun will also do both and ammo for the GLOO is so cheap that it might as well be free. (I do highly recommend taking 1 point in Leverage because it lets you through explosive canisters so hard they explode on contact, letting you use them as active combat tools instead of traps). I also really regret not taking Combat Focus until later on in the game.

After a lot of pointless words, don't stress about the choices because while there are a lot, they're all useful in different ways. The early game, in my opinion, is all about leveraging your advantages. That means stacking sneak attack bonuses, stuns, and disables. Enemies take more damage when GLOO'd, stunned, or sneak-attacked, so being able to open up with a charged wrench hit and then incapacitate them lets you be very ammo-efficient. The only must-have, in my opinion, is learning to love the disruptor (stun gun). It does everything: murders and stuns mechanical enemies and stuns non-mechanical enemies, saving you ammo and health.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I would say to get the recycling mod early and stress that while turrets are effortlessly good at mimic cleanup, they suck against essentially everything else.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like to keep this handy *cocks boltcaster* for cystoid encounters.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Vlex posted:

The objectively best early skill order (tm):
1. Materials Expert, more resources = more skills.
2. Hacking 2, pays for itself in the first area, open safes that cannot be opened with keycodes.
3. Impact Calibration 2, makes your only non-ammo weapon a ton better for the rest of the game.
4. Mobility 1, +25% movespeed = makes you +25% better overall.

The name of the game is to kill stuff while using the least amount of resources possible, the more resources you save the faster and more skills you can earn to become ever one step closer to a god of annihilation. People who play as CoD run and gun tend to run into a lot of problems in this game as guns are rather weak early on, ammo is always scarce and crafting new ammo to feed that habit is a massive waste from a resource management standpoint.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 24, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I rush necropsy and recycle amount because the sooner you get them the sooner they pay for themselves.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hardest bit of the game is the start. Anything that makes it easier is worth it. To that end, more health, combat focus, and stealth are worth their weight in Typhon guts.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

also anything that doesnt look like your build can use it can be recycled in to something it can

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm like 3/4ths of the way through a typhon power only playthrough and wow do I miss so many of the human upgrades.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I literally never used the boltcaster. Seemed like a waste of space. I never really had problems with cystoids either. Usually debris nearby to huck at them.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

1 point something gig update today; anyone know what it is?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are they adding prophunt?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

boar guy posted:

1 point something gig update today; anyone know what it is?

https://mobile.twitter.com/PreyGame/status/1021790381527064577

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

meh

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The price is nice.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m really really champing at the bit for expanded challenge / NG+ stuff for Mooncrash

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, the mimic hats are gonna prevent a lot of momentary panic. Not to mention bruises for mimsy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sometimes the pet mimic randomly makes a loud noise that sounds like like an evil mimic transforming. I don’t know if it’s just to make you jump or what, but it sure works

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Palladium posted:

The objectively best early skill order (tm):
1. Materials Expert, more resources = more skills.
2. Hacking 2, pays for itself in the first area, open safes that cannot be opened with keycodes.
3. Impact Calibration 2, makes your only non-ammo weapon a ton better for the rest of the game.
4. Mobility 1, +25% movespeed = makes you +25% better overall.

The name of the game is to kill stuff while using the least amount of resources possible, the more resources you save the faster and more skills you can earn to become ever one step closer to a god of annihilation. People who play as CoD run and gun tend to run into a lot of problems in this game as guns are rather weak early on, ammo is always scarce and crafting new ammo to feed that habit is a massive waste from a resource management standpoint.

If you treat the shotgun like a wrench then you'll have a lot more success while also never running out of ammo because it 1-shots most things once upgraded and used at point-blank range.

Vlex posted:

It really depends on what you want to do (e.g. combat, sneaking, exploration, etc) but it's hard to go wrong with Hacking; it easily pays for itself in loot and story snippets. If you like to explore then Repair is also good. If you anticipate killing things then the skills that let you upgrade weapons are super good; the disruptor stun gun is actually one of the best weapons in the game, especially once upgraded.

I like the skills that let you jump higher and run faster. Also, Psychoshock and Combat Focus basically break the game, so only choose them if you're having trouble

Leverage is a seriously misestimated skill; I assumed it was just meant to unlock alternate paths by moving heavy stuff out of the way, but it's rarely ever actually useful for that because you could have just thrown a recycler grenade for the same effect. But it's a really good/fun combat skill, if a bit gimmicky.

There are really no true trap skills, they're all useful in different ways so take whatever sounds interesting. I think the one I would never take is necroscopy since typhon material is usually abundantly available anyway, but only if you're clearing rooms instead of sneaking

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 26, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
They didn't mention it in the tweet since it's not part of the established content release schedule they originally listed for Mooncrash, but they added the Operator skin chosen via donation competition from the Summer Games Done Quick 2018. It was a choice between "Save the Typhon" and "Kill the Typhon" skins and the former won. So hey, don't want a videogame skin for your Mule? Got you covered. It's cute as heck too.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

QuarkJets posted:

There are really no true trap skills, they're all useful in different ways so take whatever sounds interesting. I think the one I would never take is necroscopy since typhon material is usually abundantly available anyway, but only if you're clearing rooms instead of sneaking

I think you've got that backwards. If you're going all Space Marine then you're presumably going to be spending mundane resources on ammo and thus Exotic materials will never be a bottleneck. But if you're a super-efficient assassin then the only thing you'll be producing are Neuromods en masse. Every bit of Exotic equates to more mods and Necroscopy becomes valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

They didn't mention it in the tweet since it's not part of the established content release schedule they originally listed for Mooncrash, but they added the Operator skin chosen via donation competition from the Summer Games Done Quick 2018. It was a choice between "Save the Typhon" and "Kill the Typhon" skins and the former won. So hey, don't want a videogame skin for your Mule? Got you covered. It's cute as heck too.

I donated for this, glad it made it in.

Tbh the cosmetics are nice but coming too late unless they’ll usable in prophunt or something (maybe your playable mimic can wear the hats in that mode). Most people will have already finished mooncrash by now.