Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*punches mostly Scotland*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Youremother posted:

I don't think I have ever seen a map like this that wasn't complete clickbait bullshit to get a thousand people to go "How the gently caress is BabyStompers shoes my state's favorite brand when it should be State Is Awesome Burger!?"

I simultaneously went “Zappa’s hell yeah” and “wtf is Pizza Inn” and “lmao Louis Vuitton”

That Little Boy map just blasting Lower Manhattan would be a blessing in disguise, I blame rich people for loving a French fashion company more than NYC’s famous and only in the city brand, Bodega (with cat)

Guavanaut posted:

*punches mostly Scotland*

He is American and avoided getting told that the island isn’t called England

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 30, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

1: Not part of Europe
2: The UK is Europe's best chance at unifying, out of sheer spite

The UK will be part of Europe until they destroy their entire landmass in the process of trying to unmoor themselves from the area.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Diqnol posted:

Wtf is prince sports snd how is it not wawa in Delaware

If anything it would be jake's wayback

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The center of Istanbul is north of the Golden Horn?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He is American and avoided getting told that the island isn’t called England
English speakers call use the Deutschland demonym for Nederlanders, so the only solution is that no Germanic language speakers are allowed to label maps until we figure out what's going on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you go back far enough the north sea is called the german sea so I am curious when it became our responsibility.

I really wish I could actually photograph my map of the heptarchy but it's engraved on brass.

E: this is the least glare I could get on it and the highest resolution my phone will go:

It is also further ammunition in my war against the historic counties people because it clearly says KINGDOME OF CLEVE-LAND

Also finally settling the london/derry argument because it's called "Der rie" which also is clearly German.

E: Also lmao that the north sea is the germayn sea but the channel is apparently "the british ocean"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 30, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

neat, why is it on brass?

colored version:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That was how I got it from the charity shop.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Delaware: No Loved Brand

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

neat, why is it on brass?

colored version:

is that an eszett used in a place name near loch ness?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

i say swears online posted:

is that an eszett used in a place name near loch ness?

It’s long s followed short s, completely different character

No really

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%DF#Use_in_Roman_type

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Also finally settling the london/derry argument because it's called "Der rie" which also is clearly German.

IIRC 'Derry' is derived from a Celtic word, so eh.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s long s followed short s, completely different character

That was a 10/10 troll.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The center of Istanbul is north of the Golden Horn?

They're not all hitting the city center, they're just hitting significant landmarks that most/many people would know, e.g. Paris is hitting the Eiffel Tower and not the actual city center (Saint-Chapelle) and Dubai is hitting the Burj Khalifa, which is also quite far from the city center.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Saladman posted:

They're not all hitting the city center, they're just hitting significant landmarks that most/many people would know, e.g. Paris is hitting the Eiffel Tower and not the actual city center (Saint-Chapelle) and Dubai is hitting the Burj Khalifa, which is also quite far from the city center.

By that criteria the Golden Horn would still be at ground zero.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Count Roland posted:

By that criteria the Golden Horn would still be at ground zero.

Agreed. The Hagia Sophia must be obliterated.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Diqnol posted:

Wtf is prince sports snd how is it not wawa in Delaware

wawa is from PA

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sweeper posted:

wawa is from PA

Being local is clearly not a criteria.
NY’s isn’t even from the US

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Being local is clearly not a criteria.
NY’s isn’t even from the US

Calvin Klein, both the man and the company, is from New York City.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Weembles posted:

Calvin Klein, both the man and the company, is from New York City.

Jesus I read it as Louis Vuitton

drat Mandela affect, hope this universe is cooler

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Saladman posted:

Dubai is hitting the Burj Khalifa, which is also quite far from the city center.

Assuming mad skillz on the genocide plane, wouldn't hitting the top of the tower actually reduce the affected area notably?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

Assuming mad skillz on the genocide plane, wouldn't hitting the top of the tower actually reduce the affected area notably?

Affected by what?

The atomic bombings of Japan were airbursts at sixteen hundred to two thousand feet, a height that was selected to maximize destruction to the Japanese cities. Burj Khalifa’s top is a little above that, at twenty‐seven hundred feet. There’s also a question of how the fuzes would work. The RADAR altimeter would get a reflection from parts of the tower, but probably not the spire. The barometer and timer would be unaffected. It wouldn’t detonate right at the tip of the spire, but let’s pretend that it did.

The effects aren’t all that different. The area of the city effected by radiation burns, thermal burns, and severe blast wave (20 psi) would shrink, but the areas affected by moderate (5 psi) and light blast damage (1 psi) would increase.

Nukemap’s analysis is that the casualties would be somewhat worse with the higher detonation altitude, but that’s a fairly crude analysis that isn’t even accurate with where people live, never mind the vast difference in building construction.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 31, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Comedy option the spire goes straight through the bomb casing before the radar triggers and it fizzles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guavanaut posted:

Comedy option the spire goes straight through the bomb casing before the radar triggers and it fizzles.

U.S. high command was unreasonably concerned that the bomb would land “intact” on enemy soil (originally German soil) and give away U.S. secrets and nuclear material, so without taking deep dive into what we know and don’t know about the circuitry, I think that it’s likely that the fail “safe” is that if the radar altimeter is screaming under five hundred feet or whatever, and the timer and barometer don’t say “you are literally still in the plane”, it goes off.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 31, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

Affected by what?

The atomic bombings of Japan were airbursts at sixteen hundred to two thousand feet, a height that was selected to maximize destruction to the Japanese cities. Burj Khalifa’s top is a little above that, at twenty‐seven hundred feet. There’s also a question of how the fuzes would work. The RADAR altimeter would get a reflection from parts of the tower, but probably not the spire. The barometer and timer would be unaffected. It wouldn’t detonate right at the tip of the spire, but let’s pretend that it did.

The effects aren’t all that different. The area of the city effected by radiation burns, thermal burns, and severe blast wave (20 psi) would shrink, but the areas affected by moderate (5 psi) and light blast damage (1 psi) would increase.

Nukemap’s analysis is that the casualties would be somewhat worse with the higher detonation altitude, but that’s a fairly crude analysis that isn’t even accurate with where people live, never mind the vast difference in building construction.

I didn’t realize Dubai looks like Netherlands finally defeated their archenemy Neptune

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

U.S. high command was unreasonably concerned that the bomb would land “intact” on enemy soil (originally German soil) and give away U.S. secrets and nuclear material, so without taking deep dive into what we know and don’t know about the circuitry, I think that it’s likely that the fail “safe” is that if the radar altimeter is screaming under five hundred feet or whatever, and the timer and barometer don’t say “you are literally still in the plane”, it goes off.
Burj Khalifa is pretty slender though, depending on how you dropped the bomb it might think it was over 500 feet just before getting Burj'd

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

skyscrapers with stealth technology to spear the nukes

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

There are now AI's where you can give the AI a segment of a image, then ask the AI to imagine the whole image.

So I have feed a AI the Salt Lake city area, and told the AI to imagine the rest of the USA if it where like SLC.

This is the result:

A cost to coast desert, with a few rivers.

Alaska is now MAV

California is now ALUKGIEAT TTASIN.

The missisive river has been replaced by a mountain range simply called MOUNT.. north of Texas, near this mountain range theres a area called COLORADO PASSOS.

Texas is now ELISIA Z.

I refuse to try to read the east coast names.

The Gulf of Mexico is now called something like AVenturo ALva MArea... and theres a large iceberg called Chikilistan.

Much of the coasts are covered in ice. The great lakes are permanently frozen, and I imagine filled with canadians playing hockey.

Most of the Mexico locations seems to be called variations of AaaaAAAa and AAaaaaaaaaAAA.

Part of the Alaska map is censored, so I guess is reserved for military use.

Tei fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 1, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The map you used had Wheeler Peak (the Nevada one, not New Mexico), the label “GREAT BASIN” (cut off), King’s Peak (Utah high point) and not a lot else?

Weird choice of features.

Was the label “COLORADO [PLATEAU]” in the section you fed it or is that all plagiarism from the training data?

e: Mount Peale is seems also to be from the original section. I don’t know about the “FRONT RANGE” and whatever specific peak is under that text. The text has certainly been machine‐corrupted.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 1, 2023

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Some interesting stuff made with Photoshop Beta's generative fill tool.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks like someone left south america on its side and all the geography settled eastward.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

Tei posted:

There are now AI's where you can give the AI a segment of a image, then ask the AI to imagine the whole image.

So I have feed a AI the Salt Lake city area, and told the AI to imagine the rest of the USA if it where like SLC.

This is the result:

A cost to coast desert, with a few rivers.

Alaska is now MAV

California is now ALUKGIEAT TTASIN.

The missisive river has been replaced by a mountain range simply called MOUNT.. north of Texas, near this mountain range theres a area called COLORADO PASSOS.

Texas is now ELISIA Z.

I refuse to try to read the east coast names.

The Gulf of Mexico is now called something like AVenturo ALva MArea... and theres a large iceberg called Chikilistan.

Much of the coasts are covered in ice. The great lakes are permanently frozen, and I imagine filled with canadians playing hockey.

Most of the Mexico locations seems to be called variations of AaaaAAAa and AAaaaaaaaaAAA.

Part of the Alaska map is censored, so I guess is reserved for military use.

What's your point?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Bwee posted:

What's your point?

Thanks for asking Bwee. I did not posted it here because I trough would be considered off-topic.

The point is the variety of terrain of USA. If we take a single location, and "imagine" "hallucinate" the entire country from what we see, would turn really boring.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Tei posted:

Thanks for asking Bwee. I did not posted it here because I trough would be considered off-topic.

The point is the variety of terrain of USA. If we take a single location, and "imagine" "hallucinate" the entire country from what we see, would turn really boring.

mlyp

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Politically-loaded map incoming!

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1664747568956338179

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/agraybee/status/1664482234898710529?cxt=HHwWgoCwocPxtpkuAAAA

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

The trust-fund front (TFF) splintering was a violent affair.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
pictured: the good part of New York, where we share with half of Manhattan because we aren't trust fund pissbabies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS