Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like the 12 cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think the 12 cast is great except idk what penelo is even there for

maybe a bunch of content got cut or something. also her endgame cutscene outfit is a lot better than her default one

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

She spends the first 20 hours just begging Vaan to to take her but also dunking on him constantly.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
They needed a token female not fanservice character.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

She's R2D2 pretty much

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I feel like Zodiac Age is the rehabilitation of FF12 because a month ago people were making GBS threads on Vaan super hard.

I think FF12 has one of the better story pacings in terms of giving you plot at regular intervals.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FF12 gives you a lot of freedom to either plow through the story or take on a ton os side hunts, bosses and different areas.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

I feel like Zodiac Age is the rehabilitation of FF12 because a month ago people were making GBS threads on Vaan super hard.

I think FF12 has one of the better story pacings in terms of giving you plot at regular intervals.

Funny you say that. One of the things I remember from playing the original FF12 in 2006 was that the plot took too long. I remember going through a 2 hour dungeon to get a 5 minute scene. I didn't like that. It felt like there was too much gameplay in between plot.

Now I feel like it's pretty well paced.

It's the 2/4x speed multiplier :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 4x speed literally took the game from garbage to playable

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Penelo is literally a case of "We had a lot of things written for this character, with her brothers being soldiers who died, and her reasons and poo poo. But we were also super behind schedule and 3 directors in at this point, so we made the choice to cut it and just keep going."

Apparently they reused that plot stuff in RW.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My favorite "gently caress you" moment in the game is when you accidentally cast a spell around a level 52 Entite which proceeds to one shot your party with an AoE spell.

I'm about to go in Golmore Jungle, but I'm trying to clear out some hunts prior to that. The mark difficulty feels a bit wonky at times but that was always the case even in the original. I kind of hate how they go into critical health and enter "murder mode", but I guess that's what quickenings are for.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'll be honest i'm not a fan of murder mode/zero charge just being a quickening tax.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Palings/berserk mode are an awful idea and punish you for not wanting to sit through the Quickening animation for ten minutes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Palings/berserk mode are an awful idea and punish you for not wanting to sit through the Quickening animation for ten minutes.

If youre insanely overleveled youll never see them except for the last hunts.

I killed the final boss so fast when i finally fought him he was finishing his first paling animation when he died.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Very rarely they are actually used well, like the trickster hunt where it actually turns into a fight for survival during the paling, but yeah most of the time they just artificially extend the fight.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

But I don't wanna overlevel

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I kinda get berserk mode, but palings are horrid and I wish they'd been removed. And berserk mode mixed with a paling is the worst poo poo and I know at least a couple marks do that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I mean it would be better if you had abilities that you specifically used during "execute phase" but the Nidhogg hunt is a good example of a mark who is very manageable to beat until he hits 20% and then rolls your party.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think my take is: I don't mind the idea that a boss becomes more dangerous at low HP, even significantly more dangerous. But I really don't like it when they suddenly get a giant defense boost or become totally impervious to damage for 30 seconds just to drag poo poo out.

If the last 20% of a boss's HP is a mad race to the finish, cool. I mean don't do it every time or it gets annoying, but sometimes that's pretty cool. But if it's instead "gently caress we better Quickening this fucker before he hits 20% or this battle's going to take like another full minute of boring standing around before it's over" that's dumb and never fun.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I think my take is: I don't mind the idea that a boss becomes more dangerous at low HP, even significantly more dangerous. But I really don't like it when they suddenly get a giant defense boost or become totally impervious to damage for 30 seconds just to drag poo poo out.

If the last 20% of a boss's HP is a mad race to the finish, cool. I mean don't do it every time or it gets annoying, but sometimes that's pretty cool. But if it's instead "gently caress we better Quickening this fucker before he hits 20% or this battle's going to take like another full minute of boring standing around before it's over" that's dumb and never fun.

trickster_hunt.txt

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That is exactly what I was thinking of.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Like I said, FF12 is one of those games where I didn't care for when it came out, but fell in love when they made a new HD version that fixes issues like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. When people say that FFV and XII are the most underrated entries in the series, they would in fact be correct.

The story is also very good and the characters aren't stupid or annoying, which is rare for this series. Maybe playing XIV combined with age has made me appreciate XII more, because I feel like they have a lot in common. They definitely both have a lot of political dealings and flowery dialogue, that's for sure.

Speaking of, I beat Stormblood and it was all right. I don't think the story of Stormblood was as good as Heavensward, but Heavensward was a hard act to follow. It was like the Empire Strikes Back of FF expansions. All your friends are missing or presumed dead, you're a wanted criminal, and you have to broker peace in a conflict where there's shades of grey and neither side is just straight up evil.

I really dig this with XII, too. The Evil Empire isn't cartoonishly pure evil, it's a little more realistic. Larsa definitely has good intentions, Judge Drace seemed like a decent person, and the Emperor had a hand in some lovely things, but he seemed to have done them with the best interests of his country in mind. It's Vayne and some of the judges who are ruthless bastards.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Oh god i went in to the great crystal to get spells and now i cant find my way back out please send help

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm sorry but you live in the crystal now

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

That is exactly what I was thinking of.

when trickster goes into its final phase of "absorb all elements except one, no you're not allowed to know which one", it turns out if you set black mage "weakness to fire -> firaga, weak to ice -> blizzaga, etc" gambits, your black mage will magically know what its weak to lmao

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Harrow posted:

Give them desperation modes but make em different from hunt to hunt. It's fun when a boss switches tactics at different health percentages.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Oh god i went in to the great crystal to get spells and now i cant find my way back out please send help

I hope Hastega was worth it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://finalfantasyxv.com/comrades/

FFXV MP beta in August, 3rd-8th. Create avatars to go on quests with other players, Noct and co. playable later.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

when trickster goes into its final phase of "absorb all elements except one, no you're not allowed to know which one", it turns out if you set black mage "weakness to fire -> firaga, weak to ice -> blizzaga, etc" gambits, your black mage will magically know what its weak to lmao

The best part is that I know this now, but didn't know it at the time, so I didn't use my Black Mage at all in that phase and :negative:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

I hope Hastega was worth it.

Who knows, i havent found the drat thing.
Now i know why it took noctis ten years to come back out of that crystal

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Penelo does at least serve 1 purpose relating to Larsa at some point. It could be done by someone else, but it's... something?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish there had been a bangaa, nu mou, or moogle party member. I guess they might have thought a moogle would be too "silly" for the super-serious late game cutscenes, I dunno. Ivalice moogles are the best, though.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Harrow posted:

Ivalice moogles are the best, though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Took me a bit to realise that these

are these adorable dudes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I get that people like their tarutarus and lalafells, but I never got why FFXI and FFXIV didn't just have playable moogles instead as the token "little race." Go with the Ivalice moogle look so they can wear clothes/armor just as easily as tarutarus/lalafells and you're done, awesome moogles.

I guess this does mean we have fewer players adding "kupo" to all their text macros.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Harrow posted:

I get that people like their tarutarus and lalafells, but I never got why FFXI and FFXIV didn't just have playable moogles instead as the token "little race." Go with the Ivalice moogle look so they can wear clothes/armor just as easily as tarutarus/lalafells and you're done, awesome moogles.

I guess this does mean we have fewer players adding "kupo" to all their text macros.

It wouldn't be fair to the other races to compete with moogles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Apparently you can adjust the speed in FFXII zodiac age without going to the menu :wow:

Hold L1 and push d-pad left or right / up or down.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish we had a game where we could explore more of Ivalice (or, more accurately, the rest of the world) in the Final Fantasy Tactics era. While the area the game takes place in is this theocratic kingdom where everybody's obsessed with power and stabbing each other, the wonders your units can find when you send them out on quests suggest there's a ton of cool poo poo out there. Even leaving aside that most of them are references to other Final Fantasy games, they're still things your characters actually discover and see. There's both a floating continent and a flying castle. A massive crystal tower. The loving Phantom Train.

Ivalice is nuts and I want to see more of it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Onmi posted:

His bit with Ashe in Jahara was really good. Because he says exactly why he's decided to stick around. Like, the thing I always laugh at when people would say "God why is Vaan even around?" It's like... He says as much! There's an entire really good scene where he explains it in detail.

I loving hated that scene. It started as a poignant scene where Ashe was coming to grips with her own personal loss and journey, and Vaan's like, "That's cool. You know this is all about me, right? Let me talk about me for this entire cutscene."

gently caress Vaan, gently caress Penelo. The game should have been Ashe as the main character, Balthier and Fran being the player stand-ins new to the situation, and Basch, Vossler, and Reddas rounding out the party. Hell I would've even been ok with Reks instead of Vaan.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 26, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I loving hated that scene. It started as a poignant scene where Ashe was coming to grips with her own personal loss and journey, and Vaan's like, "That's cool. You know this is all about me, right? Let me talk about me for this entire cutscene."

gently caress Vaan, gently caress Penelo. The game should have been Ashe as the main character, Balthier and Fran being the player stand-ins new to the situation, and Basch, Vossler, and Reddas rounding out the party. Hell I would've even been ok with Reks instead of Vaan.

Not Vossler. His current story in the game is too good to do away with just to make him a party member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nice meltdown