Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just superimpose all the states over each other, then each state gets to rule over the entirety of the us for a week once every year. Week 51 goes to the DC, 52 to Puerto Rico

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

What the gently caress

The entire premise for the Mexican American War was the fact that Texas claimed the Rio Grande as its border, which swoops way out west and runs through New Mexico, as opposed to what Mexico called Texas's border, the Neuces River, which would've given Texas a more squarish shape if you drew a line from where the river turns North to the Red River.

It would've followed that since all the Texas settlements had been in East Texas (and even today are where most of the state's population centers lie), to draw the border around those instead, but Texas had been purposefully pushing for as much territory as possible, to the point of positioning its capitol right on the western fringe of their territory.

And since Texas successfully pulled the US into a war to claim Mexico's northern territories including California (New Mexico and California souring on Mexican attempts to centralize power certainly helped), they successfully won the big ol' goofy shape, which could've been cut up any number of ways.

But the way it ended up, Texas only successfully managed to negotiate control of El Paso while New Mexico managed to still assert its existence as a state based around the northern Rio Grande. Texas also needed to snip off its tip anyways in order to stay beneath the Missouri Compromise line and be able to be a slave state.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

steinrokkan posted:

Just superimpose all the states over each other, then each state gets to rule over the entirety of the us for a week once every year. Week 51 goes to the DC, 52 to Puerto Rico

Much simpler to divide the US into a 1km x 1 km grid and assign squares at random to all states/territories based on their population. Have this re-done every census.

This is common sense, people

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Evilreaver posted:

Much simpler to divide the US into a 1km x 1 km grid and assign squares at random to all states/territories based on their population. Have this re-done every census.

This is common sense, people

As long as I can live in Mr Lee's Greater Hong Kong.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Could've sworn I had posted this before.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

Mix of rivers (good borders) and arbitrary meridians and parallels (bad borders)

Bring back drainage basins as borders

Rivers are a mixed bag as borders, they're obviously a great barrier, but they also facilitate trade and transport and provide water for cities. Basically all inland cities are on rivers, but having your city on the border is kinda not good from a military perspective.
On the other hand, trade across borders is a good way to build up friendly relations between nations.
In terms of modern American style states, you're gonna have cities divided between states, which is gonna end up with some bad jurisdictional poo poo.

Also rivers occasionally change course, which has led to many disputes over the years.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Youremother posted:

Oh boy, is it stupid irredentism time again?

What's the deal with Massachusetts 2 up there, squatting on Vermont and New Hampshire's southern areas?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

BonHair posted:

Rivers are a mixed bag as borders, they're obviously a great barrier, but they also facilitate trade and transport and provide water for cities. Basically all inland cities are on rivers, but having your city on the border is kinda not good from a military perspective.
On the other hand, trade across borders is a good way to build up friendly relations between nations.
In terms of modern American style states, you're gonna have cities divided between states, which is gonna end up with some bad jurisdictional poo poo.

Also rivers occasionally change course, which has led to many disputes over the years.

Kaskaskia, Illinois has been through all of that. It was a town of about 7000 people and briefly the capital of the state, but in the late 1800s, the Mississippi moved from west of the town to east of the town, destroying most of it in the process. Now the population is 21 and there is no land connection to the rest of Illinois.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

What's the deal with Massachusetts 2 up there, squatting on Vermont and New Hampshire's southern areas?

That is New Hampshire, back when it part of Massachusetts in the seventeenth century.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

That is New Hampshire, back when it part of Massachusetts in the seventeenth century.

Is it though? It's got a border drawn with Massachusetts, and then a second border drawn up where New Hampshire (and now Vermont) would be, as well as with Maine (which is Massachusetts as well in this period)

I'm confused

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spaced God posted:

Did they find the Habsburg with the least hosed up chin to put on Twitter? Because I think they need to keep looking

Nathan Fillion has really let himself go

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did somebody mention colonies that do or do not have western borders?

The only real question is whether or not the border is on the Sabine

Tilt that Texas like 20 degrees ccw and it looks a lot like an elephant rampant. Would have been a cool and much more memorable flag than “the same as Chile’s, but different in some way you forgot".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Powered Descent posted:

I dunno but I'm Pittsburgh that migrated down to the modern day WV/PA border.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Saladman posted:

Tilt that Texas like 20 degrees ccw and it looks a lot like an elephant rampant. Would have been a cool and much more memorable flag than “the same as Chile’s, but different in some way you forgot".

To me, it looks like a small dog lifting a very long leg. Or kind of like a cat with a raised tail. (the eastern side is the face)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The helipad marked on the sand slays me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

In https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph20065087

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hadlock posted:

Connecticut claiming what is now Cleveland Ohio until 1800 is a lot more interesting, IMO

Reminder that the Crown ruled in favor of Connecticut's claim to what is now the northern half of Pennsylvania and only the American Revolution stopped this from becoming law.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The helipad marked on the sand slays me.

I always love when the Spain-Morocco border disputes.

Spain: "Gibraltar should be Spanish, because it's small and physically part of the Iberian peninsula, despite the people living there having been British for 400 years and they still want to continue being part of the UK"
Also Spain: "Melilla and Ceuta should belong to us, because they have been Spanish for 600 years and the people living there still want to be part of Spain, despite them being physically part of mainland Morocco".

Morocco's "Melilla and Ceuta belong to us. Granada belongs to us. Bacelona belongs to us. Perpignan belongs to us. Also western Algeria belongs to us. And northern Mauritania. And the moon." max imperialism position is at least internally consistent logic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Also Morocco: first country to recognize the US as a country

Also also Morocco: first country to ship western tanks to Ukraine after Germany dropped their objections to it

They might be a weird kingdom with centuries of weird entanglement with the French and Spanish (Google "bombardment of Casablanca") but sometimes they do good things

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Recognizing the US was a good thing???

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kennel posted:

Ignoring the USA won't make us go away.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kennel posted:

It is when the alternative is the British Empire.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Recognizing the problem is the first step in any therapy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has Morocco recognized Western Sahara?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

beats for junkies posted:

To me, it looks like a small dog lifting a very long leg. Or kind of like a cat with a raised tail. (the eastern side is the face)

I see the cat but not the elephant

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

They are trying to create a mining industry. But the current natives are a problem.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

They recognize it as an integral part of Morocco.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Saladman posted:

I always love when the Spain-Morocco border disputes.

Spain: "Gibraltar should be Spanish, because it's small and physically part of the Iberian peninsula, despite the people living there having been British for 400 years and they still want to continue being part of the UK"
Also Spain: "Melilla and Ceuta should belong to us, because they have been Spanish for 600 years and the people living there still want to be part of Spain, despite them being physically part of mainland Morocco".

Morocco's "Melilla and Ceuta belong to us. Granada belongs to us. Bacelona belongs to us. Perpignan belongs to us. Also western Algeria belongs to us. And northern Mauritania. And the moon." max imperialism position is at least internally consistent logic.

I thought Spain generally supported the British claim to Gibraltar because it reinforced their claim to the bits on the other side of the Mediterranean.

And then they also are pretty strong about not admitting countries that secede from separatist movements into the EU because if that happens then Spain may just dissolve as a country overnight.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think Morocco should just go all in and claim anything covered by "The West".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Count Roland posted:

They recognize it as an integral part of Morocco.

The king is just barely holding onto a majority support of his rule vs the communists, I don't know much more about it than that but my guess is he doesn't want to cede half his country to ~half a million people mostly contained in two cities three hundred miles apart. That would be like letting Wyoming and North Dakota cede from the US

Also I guess Morocco built like 1700 miles of walls back in the 1980s and control 70-80% of the territory along the coast?, here are some politically loaded maps to enjoy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moroccan_Western_Sahara_Wall

Claims of control are usually tenuous but building and maintaining a thousand miles of walls is a pretty evident claim

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The early Moroccan US relationship is also the justification used by a weird african american sovereign citizen movement, arguing that a treaty makes them exempt from state and federal law .

Hadlock posted:

That would be like letting Wyoming and North Dakota cede from the US

Nobody would ever notice?

Although the bigger reason I think they have to keep asserting control is the massive supply of phosphate that they use the world's largest conveyor belt to transport.

Hadlock posted:

Claims of control are usually tenuous but building and maintaining a thousand miles of walls is a pretty evident claim

Well, it's a sign of control over one side of the wall. :v:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought Spain generally supported the British claim to Gibraltar because it reinforced their claim to the bits on the other side of the Mediterranean.

Not even remotely. The consistent Spanish claim, through all governments for hundreds of years, is that Gibraltar is theirs and everyone living in Gibraltar is either a filthy colonial imperialist, or a confused Spaniard.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_of_Gibraltar

How one can hold that opinion and not simultaneously want to sell out the Ceutans and Melillans to the Moroccan government, I don’t know. Like Morocco, Spain regularly does petty poo poo to the Gibraltans. Gibraltars. Gibraltanians. People from Gibraltar.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 7, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although the bigger reason I think they have to keep asserting control is the massive supply of phosphate that they use the world's largest conveyor belt to transport.

Well, it's a sign of control over one side of the wall. :v:

Yeah I suspect that's a big part of it. As always, follow the money. In the video you linked (the Tim Traveler is a pro subscribe) the spanish retained a 35% share of the phosphate company when they left and didn't formally cede ownership of the land only technically the administration of it.

If you look up some of the "cities" on the map, "zug" (bottom right) appears to be a single abandoned building less than 1000 sq ft surrounded by a wall, maybe there's a well dug there or something,

"techia" is less than 20 buildings and as many trucks

"Awsard" is somewhat modern, looks like 2-3 small apartment buildings, a grocery store and an actual mosque. 500 people might be generous but it looks like the largest city in the region, probably a permanent military command outpost(?)

edit: someone wrote a decent article on awsard: https://roadsandkingdoms.com/2015/a-village-at-the-edge/
also a wikipedia page, claims 5,000 residents as of 2004 (seems high to me, but ok): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aousserd

SlothfulCobra posted:

is also the justification used by a weird african american sovereign citizen movement, arguing that a treaty makes them exempt from state and federal law .

link to that piece of juicy information?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 7, 2023

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Hadlock posted:

Here's the SPLC page on the group. The wikipedia article on the Sovereign Citizen Movement also mentions them.

Wikipedia posted:

Over time, the movement expanded beyond its original white nationalist environment and appealed to people of all backgrounds.[26] As of the 1990s, sovereign citizen arguments have been adopted by minority groupings, notably the African American Moorish sovereigns,[11] the movement's white supremacist origins notwithstanding.[27] The Moorish sovereigns' beliefs derive, in part, from the Moorish Science Temple of America, which has condemned this sovereign citizen offshoot.[11] Since the 1990s, the number of African American sovereign citizens has increased substantially. Various groups have appeared, some Islamic in nature, others adhering to New Age philosophies.[13] Sovereign citizen ideas have also been adopted by some groups within the Hawaiian sovereignty movement.[2] Sovereign citizen tactics have been used by members of various other fringe political or religious groups, such as black separatists or the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Also, during the height of COVID, the library I was working in was allowing limited access to the public (ie no more than 30 people at a time and you could only stay for half an hour). Of course you also had to wear a mask. One person tried to get around this by claiming to be a Moorish Sovereign Citizen to my dept. head, but either the would-be SovCit was confused or misspoke, because it came out United Federation of Planets.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The_Other posted:

Here's the SPLC page on the group. The wikipedia article on the Sovereign Citizen Movement also mentions them.

Also, during the height of COVID, the library I was working in was allowing limited access to the public (ie no more than 30 people at a time and you could only stay for half an hour). Of course you also had to wear a mask. One person tried to get around this by claiming to be a Moorish Sovereign Citizen to my dept. head, but either the would-be SovCit was confused or misspoke, because it came out United Federation of Planets.

I briefly had a barracks roommate in Okinawa who would go on and on about this stuff and how since he was a member of the Moorish Nation the laws of the US didn't apply to him.

Regardless of whether he was right about that or not he eventually discovered that the UCMJ did apply to him when he pissed hot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hadlock posted:

A couple years ago, there was a thing where some of them were hanging around a highway with guns doing...something, and they had a standoff with the police, and that's when I first became aware of them.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/moorish-sovereign-citizens-ideology-1193798/

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nobody would ever notice?

People would definitely notice Wyoming leaving due to it producing 40% of the US’s coal. North Dakota would be slightly less noticeable but 10% of the US’s crude oil is definitely not nothing (Wyoming adds another 2%). Their combined natural gas production is up there too.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 7, 2023

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Hadlock posted:

There are tons of videos on YouTube of them trying to argue their sovcit nonsense in court. It's loving wild.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So a dam went bust in Ukraine. And the consequences of that are maps.

Most obvious right now, the power generation is lost, and there's lots of flooding downriver, it's pretty bad. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/07/kakhovka-dam-flooding-ukraine-before-and-after-satellite-images-reservoir-kherson-oblast

But the reason why there was so much water upstream wasn't just to keep a steady supply of water for power generation, it's because the reservoir was also feeding into a series of canals that kept the southern region of Ukraine irrigated (including Crimea).

https://twitter.com/TomGiuretis/status/1666062463677132802

Without the dam, after the flooding subsides and the reservoir empties out, those areas are going to dry out pretty fast, which we already have a good idea of how that will go from how in the leadup to the war, Ukraine had blocked Crimea's canal so that whole area dried up. So now Crimea is going to dry up again along with the other areas fed by canals.

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1666352766489616384

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
IIRC, half of the reason for the current mess in Western Sahara stems from Spain basically saying “hey look over there” when decolonisation started to become popular and Morocco started asking about Ceuta and Melilla.