Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Dabir posted:

Out of curiosity, how do the ankles compare between the two? They're fine on mine, but the wiki says people have had trouble standing the Siege one up.

The ankles seem about the same on both. Both are annoying though, it seems the best way to get him to stand is to position the ankles by hand before putting him down, unlike basically every other figure he doesn't take well to repositioning once standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DrChu posted:

The ankles seem about the same on both. Both are annoying though, it seems the best way to get him to stand is to position the ankles by hand before putting him down, unlike basically every other figure he doesn't take well to repositioning once standing.

Weird, I haven't had that trouble myself. Well, I'd rather have the problem I'm having than jankles, so I'll consider myself as having got off lightly.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Anyone else going to TFCon?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

xZAOx posted:

Yep! I know of at least 4 other people ITT that will be there as well!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
If you frequented FunPub era BotCons or TFCons post-2016, then you've definitely seen me. I'm a tall mostly bald red-haired fat dude. I'll be helping out Orson (aka guy-who-used-to-run-Captured-Prey) at his booth for the weekend, and I've done that a few other times too. (There's a different fat red haired friendthat helps us out sometimes too, heh, but he's not bald).

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

xZAOx posted:

I am. I'll be the heavy bald guy with the rainbow beard. No joke, my beard is naturally every color it's possible for a human to grow. White, grey, blond, red, brown, black.

Gonna get me a picture with Peter Cullen for sure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yes! I’ll be there being tall and English with various other goons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
wait, where is TF Con?

edit: oh poo poo, this weekend?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Surprise! Kane Co and TFCon both on the same weekend. They’ve matched up a few times now, it’s been awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmmmm.

it just isn't worth $40 to me at this point. plus i'd have to book another night in a hotel.

Edit: on another note, does anyone here own the Super7 Ultimates Optimus Prime?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 20, 2022

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Rhyno posted:

Edit: on another note, does anyone here own the Super7 Ultimates Optimus Prime?

yes, whats up?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Other posted:

yes, whats up?

Can you give an overall review of it, your thoughts and maybe pics alongside some other stuff? I've kind of ruled it out but i sort of want to see one in person.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Rhyno posted:

Can you give an overall review of it, your thoughts and maybe pics alongside some other stuff? I've kind of ruled it out but i sort of want to see one in person.

I don't have Prime, but I picked up the 2 actionmaster based ones. If you buy any other Super7 stuff (I've got some of their old MOTU stuff, their new TMNT stuff), it's very much more of the same as that.

I like the actionmasters simply because no one else is gonna do that, but they're pretty "meh". Their stuff is very "boutique" priced, and I don't think anything is ever straight up trash by any means, but they almost always have a lot of little flaws or annoyances.

AM Bombshell can't really hold his weapons. His backpack doesn't stay on for poo poo, and the hip joints are so weak that the weight it adds is too much anyways. Banzaitron is less annoying, but his partner is just one big solid block which is...silly. I didn't expect it to transform (not that it'd require much, literally just spin the gun out), but the legs and pinchers on it don't do anything either. Just one big block with different paint colors. At the price, I don't expect to have to write the previous sentences.

I still think they're neat, but I don't see most TF fans being interested in them. I get the vibe that they've sold quite poorly too. Wave 4 was taken down to only 3 figures, 2 of which are repaints, and the only new one is Soundwave (aka, a ringer character). Usually Super7 loves doing the obscure stuff mixed in. I kind of don't expect a wave 5.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 20, 2022

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If they do a wave 5, I fully and completely expect Beast Wars.

Right now I think they might be spinning their wheels trying to find an audience- waves 1-3 hit some very broad targets and I'm not sure how well any of them hit. Lots of G1, Comics, G2, Tarn, obscure G1

4 was Screamer but alive, Prime but dead and Soundwave but Soundwave.

And to be fair, the first two in that sentence would probably be in that wave regardless of how well the line is doing, just for that very joke. It's certainly odd, how they pared back to only 3 figures. PR has been running hot and heavy with five per wave.

But it also might be a cost measure. Transformers use a lot more plastic than other toy designs, and you have to budget around an entire wave of them. Godzilla is so costly that they had to cut back to two per wave despite the line selling well by all appearances.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The tmnt stuff has plenty of huge figures too, but it bounces between 4 and 5 per wave. I just think really comes down to poor sales.

BW figures would be... Interesting from them, at least. BW/BM stuff has widely different scales if they go off the animation. I wonder what they'd do - or if they'd go like RED (which no one is buying either, lol) and just make everyone around the same height-ish.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I think an Action Masters style line could actually do well, it just needs to meet 3 criteria: 1) actually have okay articulation(honestly the original AM line would have met this requirement if they had given them elbow joints), 2) cover a wide range of characters in a given wave, and 3) need to be competitively priced(like as close to the 10 dollar range as possible, assuming they're approximately around the 3.75 inch range like the original Action Masters)

Less required but would be nice is also some fun vehicles and playsets for them(this was probably the area the original AM line shined at the most)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

xZAOx posted:

The tmnt stuff has plenty of huge figures too, but it bounces between 4 and 5 per wave. I just think really comes down to poor sales.

BW figures would be... Interesting from them, at least. BW/BM stuff has widely different scales if they go off the animation. I wonder what they'd do - or if they'd go like RED (which no one is buying either, lol) and just make everyone around the same height-ish.

Super7 tries to aim for scale accuracy, within their own lines of course, to a reasonable degree. Giant characters of course aren't scaled to human sized characters, but they are generally aimed to be in the same scale as other like sized characters. A great example is that the Power Rangers line has been sized to match up with the Godzilla line- the Rangers aren't, of course, but the Zords and Monsters are. Megazord is designed to go eye to eye with Godzilla and so on so forth.

So since BW has a very consistent scale in the show, by virtue of the physical models, they'd be able to match that pretty well. Which means the funny aspects would come out, like Dinobot being loving big and Megatron being half the size of a house.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Don't forget that Optimal Optimus is almost 3 times taller than the season 1/2 "basic" figures, heh (Rattrap, Blackarachnia, Quickstrike, so on). That's where I was thinking it'd really break down, but most of these huge characters are Transmetals and later (TM 1/2 Megs get bigger and bigger, Depthcharge / Ravage, Transmutate is goddamn huge too, etc).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That's only half true for Optimal Optimus. He's huge in his debut but steadily decreases in size across s3 to more readily interact with the cast until he's not much bigger than Dinobot was.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Electrophotonic posted:

Coming at Transformers from a gunpla perspective rather than having much actual nostalgia (having grown up during the awkward Action Masters phase of the franchise) I’m a sucker for Toyhax weird conversion sets. This is their Diaclone homage conversion for Netflix Ironhide with some extra panel lining.

Oh hey i have that Powered Convoy V-Shadow too! hi-fives you swedishly

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I'll also be at TFCon though I am a lot thinner than when I last went so I might not be recognized at first LOL. I have a fresh set of stitches on my face though so maybe that helps :D

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Burkion posted:

Super7 tries to aim for scale accuracy, within their own lines of course, to a reasonable degree. Giant characters of course aren't scaled to human sized characters, but they are generally aimed to be in the same scale as other like sized characters. A great example is that the Power Rangers line has been sized to match up with the Godzilla line- the Rangers aren't, of course, but the Zords and Monsters are. Megazord is designed to go eye to eye with Godzilla and so on so forth.

So since BW has a very consistent scale in the show, by virtue of the physical models, they'd be able to match that pretty well. Which means the funny aspects would come out, like Dinobot being loving big and Megatron being half the size of a house.

Not a great photo, but here are some size comparisons from their TMNT figs. All of these had the same price point.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Droyer posted:

Oh hey i have that Powered Convoy V-Shadow too! hi-fives you swedishly

swedishly corrects you awkwardly actually it’s DA-92 Armor Wrap Combination Powered Convoy

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Electrophotonic posted:

swedishly corrects you awkwardly actually it’s DA-92 Armor Wrap Combination Powered Convoy

I mean I know but the that's what the standard color one is called too and the black Battle Convoy is V-Shadow so...

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Good Listener posted:

I'll also be at TFCon though I am a lot thinner than when I last went so I might not be recognized at first LOL. I have a fresh set of stitches on my face though so maybe that helps :D

Yeah buddy!

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Droyer posted:

I mean I know but the that's what the standard color one is called too and the black Battle Convoy is V-Shadow so...

Ah, I just wasn’t aware they gave a name to the previous combination with Powered Greater! apologizes swedishly

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Electrophotonic posted:

Ah, I just wasn’t aware they gave a name to the previous combination with Powered Greater! apologizes swedishly

lol owned

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Random, but I'm in Vegas for a couple days, are there any toy collections that might be cool to visit?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
If Super 7 does Beast Wars and doesn't get to Ravage I will crash a spaceship into their office

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nabbed a MPP-10 for $65 shipped, less than I sold my original one for earlier this year.

Whelp, at checkout the description showed it was the simplified KO of that one so uh, back to the search.

Has Legacy Deadend started showing up anywhere?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 20, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Pretty sure Deadend is out in Malaysia. Haven’t seen any sightings in the colonies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

UK peeps, check your TKMaxx, they’ve got Legacy Laser Prime for £20!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Electrophotonic posted:

Jag förlåter dig

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

In Southeast Asia, obviously. Then for two weeks in an extremely inconvenient Target, now it's sold out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Nabbed a MPP-10 for $65 shipped, less than I sold my original one for earlier this year.

Whelp, at checkout the description showed it was the simplified KO of that one so uh, back to the search.

See I was wondering where you found an MPP-10 for that cheap

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Good Listener posted:

Did you sew your mouth shut to lose weight? That's medically discouraged.

On topic, apparently they held a design team roundtable with a bunch of the big TF sites today. Nothing super interesting in any of the questions or answers, but I always find these interesting.
https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/10/20/transformers-brand-team-fan-roundtable-for-october-2022-recap-468315
One thing they brought up is that they have to be careful with Go-Bots tributes because of the Machine Robo licensing in Japan, and probably other areas. I hadn't thought of that, that anything too Go-Bottish would probably have to be US-only, and even then it's probably unclear where the line's drawn on the 40 year old licensing agreement Hasbro inherited.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Huh. I hadn't considered that but it makes Crasher kind of perfect to be the one Gobot that pops up all the time. The Machine Robo toy she's based on wasn't those colors and didn't have that face. There was a black repaint, but it seems like it may have only been released as a Gobot. Besides all that, she's awesome, and Transformers still has a dire need for awesome female characters on the evil side of the line.

poo poo, now I want to see Crasher and Stryka team up.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Rhyno posted:

Sorry this took so long(and will be kinda crappy), I was kinda busy(still am). You will likely have made your mind up already but I did get some pics, had to take them on my Kitchen bench and I don't have any of the accessories in hand
Here's a size comparison between it, Marvel Legends War Machine and Transform Element-01

As you can see he's bigger than an average ML and smaller than any of the MP Primes. It's a bit hard to tell but mine has some paint defects on the big yellow block on the pelvis and a small smidge of yellow just a bit off centre of the right(ours) side chest window plus some small bits where the coverage was weak. Otherwise no nagging QC issues. I took the basketball out of his hand so you can see the peg that holds it in place.
I saw Burkion already did a write up of his arm articulation so I'll skim over that, it is indeed kinda weak and disappointing that he has such a small range of movement in his elbows and that such a simple fix on the Dead Prime figure fixes it. One thing I will note is that while he also lacks your more standard back and forth butterfly joints he can raise his shoulders up and down instead which does help his expressiveness and is something that TE-01 lacks. Here is a crappy picture of that in action

I assure you that one side is raised to full height and the other lowered. This picture also gives a closer look at the head, I quite like how the sculpt turned out
Here we his leg articulation, the legs can go back almost 90 degrees, that's pretty good compared to the elbows. If you look at the pelvis piece you can see that it's a soft material that bends to accommodate leg movements, a solution that works but looks kinda strange and I wouldn't leave it like that for extended periods of time. The feet have very slight side to side movement, only a couple of degrees either way, and enough back and forth movement to be functional but not much beyond that

Here's how the ab crunch is on this version of the figure
Forward

Back

Again, Functional but not much more.
Overall I quite like the look the figure, it's got a nice handsome sculpt, a good assortment of accessories(which I packed away and can't get at atm) and it is more expressive than I thought it would be after hearing the early reports but I feel like Super7 priotised form over function a bit too much and things like the shallow elbow range shouldn't be present on a figure that costs this much and the Dead Prime figure kinda proves that it could have been done without harming the sculpt. Of the four first wave Ultimates it's still pretty clearly the best figure of the lot but given that Super7 showed that it's possible to do better with a few changes maybe hold off and wait for whatever non-dead release they do next or pick it up discounted if you see a nice sale

Other fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 21, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thank you for the comparison!

I think you may have actually turned me back towards an MP Prime like the TE or Magic Square seeing that alongside War Machine. I guess it'll come down to whichever I see for the best price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
the soft diaper is that totally what they have going on in the cartoon and if their goal is 100% cartoon accuracy I commend that decision