Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it will be down in a week. the left and the alt right will troll it to pieces.

That or like the Tea Party one, begging users for handouts to stay up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

That or like the Tea Party one, begging users for handouts to stay up.

Who was that dude where goons made a profile for his hat?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dilbertman posted:

For over a year now I have been blogging about Trump’s talent for persuasion, and that gives people the impression that I prefer him as my president. That is not the case. I’ll tell you why at the end of this post.

The best choice for president depends on the types of challenges ahead. And the future has a habit of surprising us. We have no way to predict whether Clinton or Trump would end up being the right match for an unpredictable future.

That said, let’s talk about assessing the risk – to the country – of Trump versus Clinton. My observation of their histories and their personalities suggests that Trump offers America an entrepreneur’s profile of risk, whereas Clinton would be more like investing in a CD at your bank. Which is better? The answer for you probably depends on how old you are, how selfish you are, and how much money you have.

If things are going well for you and your family, you probably don’t want to rock the boat. In that case, Clinton is a good choice for you. But if you are young, or things are not working out well for you and your family, it would be rational to accept higher risk with the hope of getting a bigger/faster improvement.

But how big is the Trump risk to the economy and the country in general? Let’s talk about how Trump has managed risk in the past. That’s the best way to predict how he will do it in the future.

Diversification: Rule #1 for an investment portfolio is diversification. Trump probably wasn’t sufficiently diversified early in his real estate career, but now he has his name on about 500 entities and he has succeeded across multiple fields. He understands diversification. That’s good.

A-B Testing: One of the best ways to manage risk is to try things on a small scale and only double-down if the test is a success. We see Trump trying out different Linguistic Kill Shots to see what sticks, changing campaign staff as needed, and employing different campaign strategies depending on the situation. We observe him being decisive when things don’t work (firing people) and we watch him pivot quickly based on what he learns from testing. That suggests a “systems” type of mind, as opposed to a “goal” mentality. You can read more about that distinction in my book, which you might enjoy because it has pages. The summary is that systems-thinkers manage risk better.

Licensing: A big part of Trump’s business involves licensing his name. I know a lot about licensing because I have done if for years with Dilbert. Licensing is a great way to manage risk because I get paid in advance even if the product that Dilbert’s image is licensed to adorn does not work out. Trump does the same. He gets paid even if the project with his name on it fails. That’s good risk management.

Likewise, Trump almost certainly negotiates for a lump sum advance payment from publishers for his books. Trump gets paid even if the publisher loses money. That’s good risk management.

Likewise also, The Apprentice probably paid Trump a guaranteed minimum no matter the ratings. And if the show had failed, Trump would not have any personal investment in it. He only had upside potential.

Two Ways to Win: We often see Trump choose strategies that have two ways to win and no way to lose. That’s the best risk management of all. For example, when Trump warned that Iran should release American prisoners before he gets elected, he created two ways to win and no way to lose. If the prisoners were released (and they were), Trump could claim his threat was effective. (He did.) If Iran kept the prisoners, Trump could say the United States needs a bad-rear end President like him to deal with Iran.

Bankruptcies: When the general public hears that Trump had several bankruptcies (out of hundreds of projects) they think that means he did something wrong. Business people see a different picture. They see a diversified portfolio of projects that are wisely siloed into their own corporate entities so some can fail without taking the others with them. That’s good risk management because one would naturally expect several failures out of hundreds of projects.

Marriages: Trump is married to his third wife and still has good relationships with his exes. Apparently Trump had good prenups, and good lawyers. He managed the risk of divorce better than 90% of the people I know.

Alcohol and Drugs: Trump has never had a drink of alcohol or an illegal drug, because of the risk. If you have ever consumed alcohol or taken illegal drugs, you have a far higher tolerance for risk than Trump. He removed those risks from his life. And those are some big risks.

Seeing the Future: One way to reduce risk is to predict the future better than those around you. We know that Trump went all-in on his run for president this time, but in prior election years he dropped out early. Apparently he made the right decision this time because he could see himself making it all the way.

We have also witnessed Trump using unorthodox campaign strategies that almost everyone else in the world thought would fail. But apparently Trump predicted the future better than the pundits. His methods have worked.

Trump hasn’t predicted the future correctly every time. As noted, several of his projects did not work out. But evidently he expected there could be some losers among his projects because he set them up as separate entities that could fail on their own without dragging down the rest.

Listening to Advice: One of the criticisms we heard about Trump early in the campaign is that he wouldn’t listen to experts. But now we have lots of examples in which he has done exactly that. His entire campaign has transformed in the past six weeks. We watched Trump assess the changing election dynamics, take advice from advisors, adapt his approach, and spike in the polls.

Trump is also good at firing people. The smartest person I know told me that the most important skill of a leader is firing, not hiring. No one is smart enough to hire the right people every time, so firing is the more valuable skill. Trump apparently has that skill. Consider how hard it was to fire his longtime friend Corey Lewandowski, and later Paul Manafort. Trump pulled the trigger both times. And both moves proved to be helpful.

Trump’s Ego: Trump’s showmanship and branding comes off as ego, and narcissism, and that can be scary to the public. You want to know your President is making decisions based on what is good for the country, and not what is good for the President’s ego. But Trump’s appearance on Jimmy Fallon went a long way toward changing perceptions about his ego. Trump let Fallon mess up his famous hair on TV, and it humanized Trump. We watched Trump put his ego aside with no real effort.

We also see Trump doing more outreach to the African-American community, toning down his rhetoric (mostly) and generally doing what the public has been asking him to do. That suggests a candidate who has control of his ego. He listens to the people and gives them what they want.

In my personal situation, things are going great for me, so that suggests Clinton would be a safer choice in terms of managing my risk – both financially and physically. Change isn’t necessarily good for me. But I’m also at a point in my life where I’m focused on providing some public good before I check out of the computer simulation we call life. So if my American teammates prefer a Trump-like risk – because they think change is needed for their own benefit – I’m okay with that. Pick the president you want and I’ll work with it. I’ll be happy either way.

At least he can admit that as a rich white straight male, he'll be perfectly comfortable no matter who wins.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Twelve by Pies posted:

At least he can admit that as a rich white straight male, he'll be perfectly comfortable no matter who wins.

Honestly, Adams at least admits from time to time that things like confirmation bias are real and might affect him. He doesn't really come to any correct conclusions from this fact and actually makes stupid arguments on the basis of it, but that still demonstrates a level of self-awareness that towers above most right-wingers posted in this thread.

His bullshit is still hilarious so I'm glad people post it here.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope he goes nuts when Trump loses, but I think he's just an rear end in a top hat and nothing affects him.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
I'm hoping for an irl Dilbert 3. With Adams and Glenn Beck.

Adams:"Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you I always loved you."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's figures that Scott Adams is the kind of affluent white idiot "hey blacks vote for me, what have you got to lose" would work on.

And for a self-styled master of persuasion, Adams' "I prefer Hillary because she's terrible for the country and only benefits rich people like me. Preferring Trump, which I don't, would be an act of virtuous selflessness on my part" is transparent as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 20, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

VitalSigns posted:

And for a self-styled master of persuasion, Adams' "I prefer Hillary because she's terrible for the country and only benefits rich people like me, someone like me would prefer Trump as an act of selfless compassion for the poor" is transparent as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
Wait, was he dunking on trickle-down ec right there? Isn't that blasphemy?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

These guys are pretty great.

quote:

Freedom
We don’t censor conservative views, we empower and promote them

https://www.codias.com/company posted:

Philosophers
We are disciplined, inquisitive, and relentlessly pursue Truth.

Warriors
We are ruthless in war, benevolent in conquest.

Artists
We discern beauty with pleasure, imperfections with dislike.

It's a loving conservative safe space. NO, WE ARE WARRIORS!

What We Believe posted:

POLITICAL STATES EXIST TO SECURE NATURAL RIGHTS.

We believe in a sovereign God. We believe that God’s will is the supreme natural law that governs all of nature, including mankind. We believe that every man is born into a natural state with independent, equal, and perpetual natural rights. We believe our natural rights include life, liberty, and our estates for the purpose of pursuing God’s will, the source of man’s ultimate happiness.

We believe man is sinful, does not always conform to God’s will, and is prone to invade the natural rights of others. In these cases, men are justified in defending their natural rights from the invaders. But in our natural state, each man must discern for himself what the natural law is, to judge whether the natural law has been invaded, and to execute the natural law himself. If the invader resists, a state of war ensues and the stronger tends to defeat the weaker, without regard to the supreme law of justice.

We believe that, in our natural state, our natural rights are vulnerable to insecurity and disorder. For this reason, men are driven into political society by consenting to a common authority, which is the political state. The purpose of the political state is to preserve our natural rights to life, liberty, and our estates by formulating, executing, and judging known and settled common laws. We believe the political state has no authority beyond that which men consent to.

We believe these ideas were refined, systematized, and popularized over millennia by Greek, Roman, and Christian European philosophers, particularly John Locke who Thomas Jefferson described as among the “trinity of the three greatest men the world had ever produced.” These ideas not only formed the intellectual justification and sentimental inspiration for the American Revolution, John Adams characterized them as the very “principles on which the whole government over us now stands.” Jefferson summarized these ideas in our Declaration of Independence.

WE HOLD THESE TRUTHS TO BE SELF-EVIDENT, THAT ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL, THAT THEY ARE ENDOWED BY THEIR CREATOR WITH CERTAIN UNALIENABLE RIGHTS, THAT AMONG THESE ARE LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS.--THAT TO SECURE THESE RIGHTS, GOVERNMENTS ARE INSTITUTED AMONG MEN, DERIVING THEIR JUST POWERS FROM THE CONSENT OF THE GOVERNED, --THAT WHENEVER ANY FORM OF GOVERNMENT BECOMES DESTRUCTIVE OF THESE ENDS, IT IS THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO ALTER OR TO ABOLISH IT, AND TO INSTITUTE NEW GOVERNMENT, LAYING ITS FOUNDATION ON SUCH PRINCIPLES AND ORGANIZING ITS POWERS IN SUCH FORM, AS TO THEM SHALL SEEM MOST LIKELY TO EFFECT THEIR SAFETY AND HAPPINESS.

E: Ahahahahaha! When you go to sign up, they make you swear an oath.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 20, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Leofish posted:

At last, the empty rituals of patriotism and EULAs, together as one.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Kilroy posted:

Wait, was he dunking on trickle-down ec right there? Isn't that blasphemy?

historically he would not fit in with most hard right stereotypes. his whole career was based on bashing the american workplace and its inherent stupidity.

this whole right wing shill stuff is relatively new so he probably still is not in lockstep with stuff like trickle down economics.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Drudge being classy AF

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Drudge being classy AF

I'm almost impressed that Drudge can continue to surprise me.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think it's bullshit that he believes Trump has never had a drink in his life

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

quote:

We have no way to predict whether Clinton or Trump would end up being the right match for an unpredictable future.

This is the sentence that makes me the angriest. He sounds like a rich white teenager.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

MokBa posted:

This is the sentence that makes me the angriest. He sounds like a rich white teenager.

Plus if he's coming out and saying all predictions are worthless then what's with his making predictions for like the last year straight?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

VitalSigns posted:

So nothing a Republican politician does can be racist if it helps win elections, cool thanks Dilbert.

This was their reasoning in NC when they redrew districts and rewrote voting schedules to (conveniently) exclude minorities. They said they were targeting Democrats, not blacks. "Huge difference! It's not racist if it's political!"

Fortunately the higher courts disagreed.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fried Watermelon posted:

Eh, considering Trump's brother died from alcoholism and he's been pretty vocal about not drinking, I'll believe Trump has never had a drink in his life.

Illegal drugs I'm not so sure about.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's really easy. Alcohol tastes and smells awful until you get used to it (I assume, I've never gotten used to it). Plus it's way cheaper.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eh, considering Trump's brother died from alcoholism and he's been pretty vocal about not drinking, I'll believe Trump has never had a drink in his life.

Illegal drugs I'm not so sure about.

Here is cracking a beer at Wrestlemania. It also happens to be my favorite picture ever. Totally looks like a guy who never drinks

He's maybe not a heavy drinker, but like most things that come out of his mouth, his "never having a drink in his life" is bullshit.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 20, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Twelve by Pies posted:

So he basically admits Trump is dangerous, but respects him because as a fellow egotistical rich white guy, he doesn't mind the risk? Then he goes to claim that Trump "has control over his ego"?

Did he just stop thinking entirely years ago?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

How have I never seen this before

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's uh, that's not him

e: oh I guess it is. Doesn't matter

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 20, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I was almost positive that's been posted in another thread and it was proven to be an impersonator but for the life of me I can't remember where that was.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
It's photoshopped to make him look fatter and more orange

Original

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTtfVOyVsf0

here it is as it happened

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Knight posted:

It's photoshopped to make him look fatter and more orange

Original

I feel cheated but somehow the natural one is even worse.

Probably because I've seen the guy's plastered nearly everywhere for the last 1.5 years.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

anonumos posted:

This was their reasoning in NC when they redrew districts and rewrote voting schedules to (conveniently) exclude minorities. They said they were targeting Democrats, not blacks. "Huge difference! It's not racist if it's political!"

Fortunately the higher courts disagreed.

Didn't the court cite the Daily Show clip of that dumb nazi that said that?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think it's cool we're gonna have a president with a victory at Wrestlemania and if you're not down with that I got two words for ya.

build the wall

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I cannot trust a man to be a president when he takes a stunner that poorly.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I think it's cool we're gonna have a president with a victory at Wrestlemania and if you're not down with that I got two words for ya.

build the wall

Man, am I a horrible person for wanting Obama to show up/be written into a wrestling show once he returns to Private Citizen Obama. As in he comes through the tunnel of fireworks and is introduced as "B-Rock the Islamic Shocker" just to make people's heads explode?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Alkydere posted:

Man, am I a horrible person for wanting Obama to show up/be written into a wrestling show once he returns to Private Citizen Obama. As in he comes through the tunnel of fireworks and is introduced as "B-Rock the Islamic Shocker" just to make people's heads explode?

Obama and John Cena settle the birther conspiracy once and for all with a disgraced loser Trump in the ring. :getin:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lightning Knight posted:

Obama and John Cena settle the birther conspiracy once and for all with a disgraced loser Trump in the ring. :getin:

Man, you know that WWE Obama will be a heel and revealed to have helped steal the election from Trump to rule in secret.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

build the wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUJzj4DXHYE

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Yes, you should want Hillary to ban wrestling.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Leofish posted:

These guys are pretty great.

It's a loving conservative safe space. NO, WE ARE WARRIORS!

I read it as "I swear, man, this loving thing."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alkydere posted:

He's the new Screaming Sheik.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mister Macys posted:

It can't be white pride, it fails the "What's up, my _____?" test. :colbert:

What up, my chicanos

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What up, my crackers

Adbot