Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Question for the thread: on any run, regardless of build, what is the one boss, or boss archetype, that fucks you up the most?

Bell Bearing Hunters

gently caress those guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fister Roboto posted:

Question for the thread: on any run, regardless of build, what is the one boss, or boss archetype, that fucks you up the most?

I'm very "up close and personal" with my fighting style so anything that does splash damage or stagnant AoE attacks so basically the Valiant Gargoyles(not hard, just a pain because of the poison or death attacks), Putrid Avatars, and Mohg(both).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fister Roboto posted:

Loretta 2
Also the cemetery shade grab is fated to get me at least once every time

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

The red wolf on moonlight plateau specifically

Sewer Mohg also tends to give me a run for my money, with him being the harder of the two even on some runs. I don't even use status effect builds, I just compulsively underestimate him

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

The red wolf on moonlight plateau specifically

Those red wolves and bearing hunters are the toughest enemies in the game.

I think Maliketh was the toughest story boss first run. I tended to play less aggressively and wait. That's not how you Maliketh.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
gently caress ULCERATED TREE SPIRITS

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Second the Red Wolves. They hit hard, have ranged attacks and have relatively few openings as a caster or melee. Also not parryable so you have fewer options to take the initiative.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was not a fan of the watchdogs at all until I switched to bonk.

Red wolves though, they can gently caress off.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Just made fairly quick work of one with the night cavalry flail (may it be praised, took down the magic dragon with it too) and magic glint blade.
It’s not brick on a stick, but that ding-dangly-doohickey is pretty good.

Can’t wait to get to the two watchdog fights with this build …

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Fister Roboto posted:

Ancient dragons. Oh, you wanted to be able to lock on and hit any part of the enemy's hitbox with a melee weapon? Too bad, unlock and hit the feet while not being able to see what they're doing. Also this dragon is going to move rapidly and constantly, frequently getting itself out of range in the time it takes to swing your weapon once so enjoy whiffing 70% of your attacks.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zodium posted:

you can also just run past the next area up to loretta. i pretty much ran past everything.

I think this is the core difference between my experience playing elden ring and dark souls 1. In DS1, unless you knew where everything was ahead of time, you couldn't just run away from everything. You'd just end up getting jacked by some cheap hit and then you were toast. Elden Ring was much more run away friendly. And failing that, more archery friendly.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mentat Radnor posted:

Ancient dragons. Oh, you wanted to be able to lock on and hit any part of the enemy's hitbox with a melee weapon? Too bad, unlock and hit the feet while not being able to see what they're doing. Also this dragon is going to move rapidly and constantly, frequently getting itself out of range in the time it takes to swing your weapon once so enjoy whiffing 70% of your attacks.

Shiiiiieeeet...I totally forgot these guys. Yeah gently caress these guys. Regular dragons are also pretty bad at times, but MAN does fighting Ancient Dragons suck. How did they go from Midir to this poo poo?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mentat Radnor posted:

Oh yeah this is definitely one of the worst for me. It's so weird that with other dragons and giant bosses you can lock on to their feet or other body parts but you just can't with ancient dragons.

Also I hate when they fly away and get stuck on terrain or something.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 19, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I find Placi to be really just about staying focused and not getting distracted or greedy for that extra hit. None of his attacks are difficult to dodge if you're paying attention, unlike some of malenias or swings with weird timings. On my last run where I fought him I spent like 5 or 6 attempts beating my head against the wall, leveled up a weapon to get pierce damage, and took my time instead of rushing, and then beat him on the next attempt.

I found the laser breath specifically very hard to dodge, and it would one shot me from full. then every failed attempt you had to do the stupid run with the lift and jumping down 20 floating rocks and ugh. he was easy enough on my first normal level and upgraded weapons run.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Bell Bearing Hunters

gently caress those guys

the trick with these guys is staying right next to them at all times. they won't ever throw the blade if you're in melee range, and their normal attacks are easy to dodge and punish.

CommonShore posted:

archetype: I hate fighting watchdogs.

major boss: maliketh

the trick with watchdogs is just baiting out the floating attacks. easy to dodge and punish.

the worst mob for me are the halberd crucible knights. the stabbing attacks tend to go over me and I can't figure out how to reliably parry them. very annoying. loretta 2 is also awful.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Zodium posted:

the trick with these guys is staying right next to them at all times. they won't ever throw the blade if you're in melee range, and their normal attacks are easy to dodge and punish.
If you can get the timing right, you can jump on the steps leading up to the side shack, turn to face the main shack, hop on torrent and double jump up on the roof where none of his attacks can hit you. Then pop him with some rot and poison arrows and go make a sandwich while you wait.

Or just get on torrent, stay out of his range and keep booping him with bleed arrows.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Fister Roboto posted:

Spiritcaller Cave Godskin Duo.

I've been summoned to help kill them many times, so I rolled in there all cocky on my second character (DEX/ARC) and they just completely pushed my poo poo in. On my third character (FAI) as well. Also I noticed the people I'd summon to help had no idea what they were doing, half of them would actually fight the ghosts instead of running directly for the snails.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

The red haired wolves. They are always jumping away from you, staying far out of melee range, then they just leap forward and have this huge area effect lunge attack that hits me no matter how I dodge it. gently caress those things.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm not a fan of the whole genre of bosses who have aoe on most of their standard attacks, presumably it's to hit spirits but also just negatates positioning and non-perfect dodges and makes you much more reliant on perfect iframes to avoid hits. Watchdogs and Commander Niall really stick in my mind for this

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Positioning is just generally very important in ER. the direction of an enemy's swing matters and you don't wanna be on the business end of it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well yes, that's why I don't like the fights which negate that and stick aoes on regular melee attacks! Like Niall sticking lingering frost pools and lightning explosions everywhere

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The two Crucible Knights might as well have been waiting behind the door to the Erddtree; two dudes who want to get in your face is such a rude awakening if you mostly get by on summoning help and wolf packing a boss.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

No Dignity posted:

I'm not a fan of the whole genre of bosses who have aoe on most of their standard attacks, presumably it's to hit spirits but also just negatates positioning and non-perfect dodges and makes you much more reliant on perfect iframes to avoid hits. Watchdogs and Commander Niall really stick in my mind for this

And dragon stomps. This also bugged me a lot.

Mainly Watchdogs because they really aren't THAT hard but the timing on their stupid hover -> slam down is so weird and even if I dodge in the right ballpark I'm still liable to get got by the stupid splash effect.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No Dignity posted:

The fire giant is kind of nothing but, yet he's one of the few major bosses I beat on the first try.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

CommonShore posted:

I find Placi to be really just about staying focused and not getting distracted or greedy for that extra hit. None of his attacks are difficult to dodge if you're paying attention, unlike some of malenias or swings with weird timings. On my last run where I fought him I spent like 5 or 6 attempts beating my head against the wall, leveled up a weapon to get pierce damage, and took my time instead of rushing, and then beat him on the next attempt.

You can summon Latenna(? The albinuric lady) outside his aggro range and she'll just plunk at him until he's dead.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Good way to dumpster the ancient dragons: long doot. Fill its butt with the song of your people.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Long Doot, Pest Threads, Shard Spiral are the bane of Big Dudes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nebula, too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'd like an ak47 in the dlc

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I want to bring my tetrapod ac to the lands between. Just go ham on a dragon with coral weapons or gatlings then ab to the next poor bastard Praetor Walter aims me at.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:mrgw: Hey uh what are these things I've been eating anyway?

Human eyeballs!

:whitewater:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Fister Roboto posted:

Revenants.

It's even scary to use the healing trick since they can move so erratically.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

War Wizard posted:

Revenants.

Ugh I hate that. I don’t know why they bothered making a walk animation for those things. They should have just put little UFO hover jets on the bottom.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

War Wizard posted:

Revenants.

If you don't start the heal nearby while they're still spawning, you probably won't be able to pull it off in combat without getting knocked out of the animation and killed.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

War Wizard posted:

Revenants.

fight the big ones like they’re the orphan of kos, they’re better at lunging forward than anything else, you can get a little breathing room by dodging sideways

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

explosivo posted:

:mrgw: Hey uh what are these things I've been eating anyway?

Human eyeballs!

:whitewater:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mustached Demon posted:

Good way to dumpster the ancient dragons: long doot. Fill its butt with the song of your people.

This seems to be the solution to every big enemy giving you trouble on a faith build. Just use the Long Doot's Bubble Special.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Where would one acquire a long doot. Haligtree? I gotta get there first.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Where would one acquire a long doot. Haligtree? I gotta get there first.

Leyndell. First wide open area when you get there there's a bunch of envoys with a big one in the center of a round plaza who drops it. Haligtree does have them, but you DO NOT want to far this there.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Farming the Envoy's Great Horn loving sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Bell Bearing Hunters

gently caress those guys

I fought so many times the Caelid one (the strongest) that I finally got around looping them on their shield smash attack the whole fight. When he starts a combo, dodge towards him on the last hit so you end on his back. That will trigger his shield ground smash that you dodge forward again to the back, triggering another shield smash, then again, again, again...

At the other hand, I will never git gud at Malenia. I think is just that I hate the fight that I never enter that focus mode that allows for a good kill.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 20, 2024