Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
That last article is the same kind of situation as when lowtax got subpoenaed for the LF posters. If somebody does something criminal in a place where it will get noticed the government will come after them. It's not really big brother, it's more like the kids who wear drug-centric clothes and then get all pissed when the cops hassle them.

I honestly don't know if I get targeted ads or not cause adblocker blocks them all. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you're concerned about your privacy on the internet, just don't post anything.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Yeah, but Google also shares some of this info without a subpoena. After all, American laws only apply to Americans and we've seen with offshore detention of "foreign combatants" you can throw out the bill of rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_and_privacy_issues

In December 2009, Google's CEO, Eric Schmidt, declared after privacy concerns: "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. If you really need that kind of privacy, the reality is that search engines—including Google—do retain this information for some time and it's important, for example, that we are all subject in the United States to the Patriot Act and it is possible that all that information could be made available to the authorities."[28]

Aren't you glad that all of your e-mail is indexed and searched?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Z3n posted:

If you're concerned about your privacy on the internet, just don't post anything.

This is about a company that indexes and cross references EVERYTHING. It tracks you as an individual. (Google apps, Gmail, Droid, YouTube, etc.) This poo poo is illegal for the US government to do, but they can get away with it because people are sheep and like to give away their rights when it allows their shiny new bauble to tell them where free ice cream is.

Okay, sorry for the derail. I'll shut up now.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Crayvex posted:

This is about a company that indexes and cross references EVERYTHING. It tracks you as an individual. (Google apps, Gmail, Droid, YouTube, etc.) This poo poo is illegal for the US government to do, but they can get away with it because people are sheep and like to give away their rights when it allows their shiny new bauble to tell them where free ice cream is.

...I guess I don't get the outrage because...what are they going to do with that info? Do you honestly care if Google knows you like cute kitten videos and are currently in a poke war with some chick on facebook?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

frozenphil posted:

...I guess I don't get the outrage because...what are they going to do with that info? Do you honestly care if Google knows you like cute kitten videos and are currently in a poke war with some chick on facebook?

I get it, I just don't feel it's really relevant. Banks and credit card companies have been collecting that kind of data for decades. Mastercard and your bank probably know more about you than you do, and unlike Google, what they know can affect your credit, which is important. Anyway, all the 'targeted' advertising in the world makes little difference if you never actually click or even read ads. "Meet Singles In Your Area!" If that's the hidden mountain of gold that mining my data has produced, I'm not really bothered.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Judgement Day will be a whole lot easier for the machines if they have all our personal data.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
What happens when they specifically target all nonharley riders for harrassment, based on receipts for protective gear and front brake pads?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Linedance posted:

Anyway, all the 'targeted' advertising in the world makes little difference if you never actually click or even read ads. "Meet Singles In Your Area!" If that's the hidden mountain of gold that mining my data has produced, I'm not really bothered.

I guess the whole targeted ad thing doesn't bother me because I use Firefox with Adblock Plus and NoScript; I never see the ads.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When I see how much information is put into public by people and collected by corporations, it gives me pause. I rationalize my fears away by figuring that, for the average person's collected information, no one cares. The collection, parsing, and organization of all that data would be a monumental task and by the end of it you'd just know what fast food restaurants 300,000,000 American's went to for dinner and how much they paid.

I mean, sure, there is useful information there for someone looking for it. If you're in a situation where some cares enough about you to be looking into you like that, you're already screwed because most "sensitive" information isn't that hard to come across.

Advertising and marketing seems like sectors that would benefit the most, but from what I can tell they just use some crappy algorithms based on text or recommend purchases based on similar pages I've visited. Sppooooookyyyyyyyy....

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Crayvex posted:

That's the thing about it, I think...people are willing to sacrifice their privacy, there's nothing you can really do about it but choose not to participate.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Haha. Everyone shut up this is a motorcycle sub-forum.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Haha. Everyone shut up this is a motorcycle sub-forum.

You're a motorcycle subforum :mad:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Last weekend was fun. We went on a ride on Saturday and when we got back, the wife's BMW system city bag was mangled with a fused lid hinge and a big crack in the lid right by the hinge.

the wife posted:

I've learned an important lesson about brake fluid. Namely: never transport an opened bottle of DOT4 in a plastic saddlebag...because it will leak and dissolve the saddlebag. I guess it's time for new case lids!

We still can't figure out how it got cracked though.

The next day [yesterday] she jumps on Craigslist and finds a pair of the larger tour bags, complete, with hinges and extra mounting hardware, for $375. She managed to talk the seller down to $325 and is now the proud owner of god drat gigantic saddlebags for her R1150R.

1 day turnaround on a broken piece to a super cheap upgrade. 1 week from a Yellowstone trip. Pretty fortunate.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

frozenphil posted:

Still a bitchin bike. I'd ride the poo poo out of that.

Concur. Also, you wouldn't believe how many people are running around in MM reproduction jackets, right down to the Stevie Ray tribute. Zero imagination, zero ability to carve out an identity for themselves.

Speaking of handing over your personal info, what's the next best thing to riding the Statue of Liberty's chopper? Cap's Bike!

http://www.wincapsbike.com/

drat straight I'm in, they already have my data anyway. That he doesn't actually ride a Sporty in the movie (AFAIK) is a mere technicality. If it's anything like the Nightster contest I was a finalist for a few years ago, it'll go to someone who's never been on a bike and has no intention of riding it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I was in a dealer today to get some chain wax and I took a walk around seeing how I haven't really looked at any brand new bikes. Maybe it's just me, but just about every bike there stuck me as being way too drat big. The Z1000 is about the widest bike I've ever seen, the FZ1000 doesn't look anything like the slim gentlemen is does in pics, even the CBR250 was pretty tall.

Another thing is all new exhausts are roughly the size of two oversized coffee cans from costco stuck together. Jesus are there some giant exhausts in the world today. About the only thing there that stuck me as lean was the new gxsr600, which was unfortunately born missing a few chromosomes by the looks of that headlight.

On the other hand the new DRZ looks good in white and has passenger pegs now. I'm guessing they sell quite a few by the way it was parked behind a dividing wall in the back of the showroom.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gnaghi posted:

Another thing is all new exhausts are roughly the size of two oversized coffee cans from costco stuck together.

Thanks, EPA. We love you guys!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

God, why do I even read BARF anymore:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6676644#post6676644
Everything's going pretty well until RideToLive600RR starts posting.
:psyduck:

what

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

God, why do I even read BARF anymore:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6676644#post6676644
Everything's going pretty well until RideToLive600RR starts posting.
:psyduck:

what

'scuse me while I brisket my voc's

:smug::hf::stare:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Gnaghi posted:

I was in a dealer today to get some chain wax and I took a walk around seeing how I haven't really looked at any brand new bikes. Maybe it's just me, but just about every bike there stuck me as being way too drat big. The Z1000 is about the widest bike I've ever seen, the FZ1000 doesn't look anything like the slim gentlemen is does in pics, even the CBR250 was pretty tall.

Another thing is all new exhausts are roughly the size of two oversized coffee cans from costco stuck together. Jesus are there some giant exhausts in the world today. About the only thing there that stuck me as lean was the new gxsr600, which was unfortunately born missing a few chromosomes by the looks of that headlight.

On the other hand the new DRZ looks good in white and has passenger pegs now. I'm guessing they sell quite a few by the way it was parked behind a dividing wall in the back of the showroom.

I'm really not sure why the S is still around while the SM got skipped over. It must be a good bit cheaper for Suzuki to not add the USD forks and such but for 6200 bucks it seems like the least they could do...

Supermotos are pretty hot right now, I'm sure they could sell off at least a fair enough number to merit sending some over and hyping up the "limited" release.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Is he talking about VOCs like the stuff paint gives off?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Hey man, quit <insert graphic of smiley beating a dead horse that makes no sense in context>.

Sounds like he's high off the VOCs from his tires. :catdrugs:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 11, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I just wanna help people learn how to motorcycles :(

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I'm getting dangerously close to finding a way to buy a Harley XR1200 or maybe even a regular Sportster 1200.

Please help.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqgwo_WdyRo

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ok. Don't click this then.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
*sigh*

If these d-bags in Congress raise the debt ceiling I don't think I'll be able to help myself.

The bike in that video sounds so good.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

redscare posted:

I'm getting dangerously close to finding a way to buy a Harley XR1200 or maybe even a regular Sportster 1200.

Please help.

The guy with the Sportster always gets the girl. I mean...errr..

Seriously, go for it. Do a thorough scan for garage queens first, there's a million out there. The mo' stock, the better.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
I am stuck deciding between am XR1200 an MT-01 and the transformer looking Z1000. Buy the Harley and let me know if its as awesome as I hope.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Can I tell a story of heartache in here?
So I, like I would imagine most of the other regular readers of this forum, often find myself looking through the local craigslist to see what's out there. Most of the time it's garbage and it doesn't spend more than a few seconds on your screen, but every once in a while you find that diamond.
Well, I found my diamond today. The problem is, I can't buy it.
I'm sure most of you know the feeling, so I thought I'd share.
Goodbye, ridiculously good deal on the perfect bike for me right now. :(
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/2486059939.html

If any of you buy it you have to promise to wheelie while screaming my name into your helmet as loud as you possibly can.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just go buy it. The smc is probably the best urban motorcycle you can buy. Do what you need to do to get it...he wants a 2011 for the wife maybe he'll take your 250 as a partial trade.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

For those of you that haul your bikes on a trailer what are you using? I would love to get something like the Baxley ST001 (http://www.baxleycompanies.com/ST001.html) but I'm not paying $2200 for a trailer.

Is the best bet to pick up a harbor freight trailer and throw a wheel chock on it?

cornbread jones
Jan 17, 2009
My WIFE is taking her MSF test today. I hope she passes!

I asked her how things were going yesterday after her first day on the range:
"The instructors are really nice. One rides a Ducati. The other has a Harley but used to have a Yarmulke."
"A what?"
"A Yarmulke cruiser."
"It's YAMAHA, dummy."
"Whatever. I'm the fastest in the class, so there."

cornbread jones fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 13, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

NitroSpazzz posted:

For those of you that haul your bikes on a trailer what are you using? I would love to get something like the Baxley ST001 (http://www.baxleycompanies.com/ST001.html) but I'm not paying $2200 for a trailer.

Is the best bet to pick up a harbor freight trailer and throw a wheel chock on it?

You can't rent a motorcycle trailer in your area?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

A guy on my local forum uses a Harbor Freight trailer to haul his track bike. It seems to do the job, just no telling for how long. I have no problem using Harbor Freight tools as long as the work I am asking them to do doesn't have the potential to kill me.
I've done enough towing to appreciate the piece of mind a well built trailer offers.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KARMA! posted:

You can't rent a motorcycle trailer in your area?

I would be renting once a week minimum to haul the dirtbike so it doesn't make sense to rent.

Phil I agree and don't mind paying more for a good trailer that will last a long time, I just can't justify $2200 for a single purpose trailer. If it was half that price I might consider it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

When I saw how expensive even small motorcycle trailers are I just bought an old truck for 2k. Mazda B-series/Ford Rangers are cheap, 2wd models have a nice low bed height and 4-cylinders will get 25+ mpg.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I would be renting once a week minimum to haul the dirtbike so it doesn't make sense to rent.

Phil I agree and don't mind paying more for a good trailer that will last a long time, I just can't justify $2200 for a single purpose trailer. If it was half that price I might consider it.

I found a decent one on craigslist for $300. Just keep searching. Even if it's not a bike trailer, look for trailers for lawn equipment that you could just bolt some strap anchors and wheel chocks to.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I just thought of something. I have a friend trying to sell an enclosed 5x8 trailer in Lebanon, TN. Sound like something you'd be interested in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
Trailer hitch carrier?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Motorcycle-Carrier-Hitch-Hauler-Trailer-Dirt-Bike-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ280444813580