Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Gushing Granny posted:

I used to be really explorative with my music tastes but I just seem to be cycling between Radiohead and The Mountain Goats over and over again. I need to spice things up. Any suggestions?

If you wanna get something really odd, try out the Songs in the Key of Z compilation. If you haven't heard it before, I doubt you've listened to anything like it before. It's a compilation of outsider music and love it or hate it, it's different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Gushing Granny posted:

I used to be really explorative with my music tastes but I just seem to be cycling between Radiohead and The Mountain Goats over and over again. I need to spice things up. Any suggestions?

Do you want to spice things up along those lines or do you want to totally broaden your horizons with some random selections

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Declan MacManus posted:

Do you want to spice things up along those lines or do you want to totally broaden your horizons with some random selections
To be clear, while branching out is great and definitely encouraged, asking for recommendations without any guidelines here is generally not productive. It's probably better to think of some genre that you never quite clicked with or always thought you'd might like and ask for more specific recommendations along those lines.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm looking to get into some really sweet acoustic stuff with poignant lyrics. Just started listening to Nick Drake.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Gushing Granny posted:

I'm looking to get into some really sweet acoustic stuff with poignant lyrics. Just started listening to Nick Drake.

Jeff Buckley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXe1jpHPnUs

RIP :(

e: Might particularly appeal in that Buckley sounds a bit like Thom Yorke, if Thom Yorke had a good voice (don't get me wrong, I like Radiohead as much as the next guy, but his voice may be compelling but it's not objectively good)

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 19, 2014

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
I love all sorts of reggae, but lately I've been into dub, the reggae offshoot that features weird studio effects and echoes. This isn't an area in which I'm completely ignorant; in fact I love Big Youth, Augustus Pablo, U-Roy, and Lee "Scratch" Perry.

That being said, I don't really like the extremely spacey stuff like Scientist that much. So I'm here looking for more "dubby" reggae along the lines of Big Youth, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RDO_Fbm4Pc) whom I enjoy very much. I know there are some people around here who know a bit about reggae and dub, so I figure this might be a good place to ask about this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gushing Granny posted:

I don't listen to a lot in that vein but maybe Owen?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Gushing Granny posted:

go back one page and you will see answers to a very similar request

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
I would be open to recommendations for good, long-rear end, instrumental jams. Examples of stuff I've already been getting into would include some Djam Karet (particularly "Burning the Hard City"), Bitches Brew era Miles, Earthless, some of the jammier live Grateful Dead things (performances of Dark Star, The Other One, etc.). I'm not real keen on going to the ambient end of the spectrum; prefer something harder and/or more psychedelic and/or drummier than ambient would typically be.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I would be open to recommendations for good, long-rear end, instrumental jams. Examples of stuff I've already been getting into would include some Djam Karet (particularly "Burning the Hard City"), Bitches Brew era Miles, Earthless, some of the jammier live Grateful Dead things (performances of Dark Star, The Other One, etc.). I'm not real keen on going to the ambient end of the spectrum; prefer something harder and/or more psychedelic and/or drummier than ambient would typically be.

Boredoms from the late 90s on, Can, Major Stars, Mogwai. never heard of Djam Karet before, but it sounds like they listened to a lot of King Crimson

V Stereolab is awesome and cribbed a lot from Can's playbook, but they lean a little more poppy and less drawn-out and jammy

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 20, 2014

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

Boredoms from the late 90s on, Can, Major Stars, Mogwai. never heard of Djam Karet before, but it sounds like they listened to a lot of King Crimson

I'm familiar with Can and thought about mentioning them. I'll definitely check out the others. Thanks.

I don't know if the Djam Karet guys would claim to take some influence from King Crimson, but yeah, it's very easy to picture some overlap in their audiences.

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Are you familiar with the Mahavishnu Orchestra? The guitarist from that band, John McLaughlin, played on some of Miles' late-60s, early-70s albums. And although their songs don't really approach 20 minutes, the music is pretty hard, very far from ambient. Then again, there is the occasional "fiddle song" on their albums, but most of the music is heavy on drums and electric guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQG7XpCiSVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4yAk6qYUs

Check out some of their live videos on youtube if you're into drum solos.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KevinHeaven posted:

Are you familiar with the Mahavishnu Orchestra? The guitarist from that band, John McLaughlin, played on some of Miles' late-60s, early-70s albums. And although their songs don't really approach 20 minutes, the music is pretty hard, very far from ambient. Then again, there is the occasional "fiddle song" on their albums, but most of the music is heavy on drums and electric guitar.

I was thinking McLaughlin too, but more on the Shakti tip. The 90's live Shakti Revisited album might be a good choice.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

KevinHeaven posted:

I have some bootlegs with the original lineup that are absolutely killer. My wife won't let me play them in the house because they melt the paint right off the walls.

Hancock and Shakti noted. I've heard of both but haven't gotten around to checking them out.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Any recommendations for a definitive Dubliners collection? I want one that covers all of their songs. I've seen some releases that don't include songs like "The Irish Rover," and I want them all.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I have some bootlegs with the original lineup that are absolutely killer. My wife won't let me play them in the house because they melt the paint right off the walls.

Hancock and Shakti noted. I've heard of both but haven't gotten around to checking them out.

For Herbie Hancock, def start with Head Hunters, and if you like that, check out everything he did in the early/mid 70's- Mwandishi, Crossings, Head Hunters, Sextant, and Thrust.

You also might want to check out The Soft Machine, their first four albums are great, with the third being the most complex and noisy, and to me the most rewarding listen.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Some Fela Kuti, but I'm not the best person to point you to a specific album.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Big Bidness posted:

For Herbie Hancock, def start with Head Hunters, and if you like that, check out everything he did in the early/mid 70's- Mwandishi, Crossings, Head Hunters, Sextant, and Thrust.

You also might want to check out The Soft Machine, their first four albums are great, with the third being the most complex and noisy, and to me the most rewarding listen.

I've checked out some Hancock, Head Hunters and Mwandishi. I give him an enthusiastic thumbs-up. I'll admit that up to now, my exposure to him has consisted of "Rockit," which, although way cool in its own way, I didn't find compelling enough to put forth any effort to see what else he had done.

I'm familiar with early Soft Machine. Robert Wyatt's one of my favorite drummers.

me your dad posted:

Actually, that's a better recommendation than you may realize. I've heard a couple things of his by way of in-store play at a local indie record store I used to frequent. "What's that you have playing?" "Fela Kuti." "Oh, cool." So it impressed me enough to ask about it, but when it came time to buy something and go home, something else was a higher priority. I haven't thought about him in years, and the reminder is very much welcome.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I've checked out some Hancock, Head Hunters and Mwandishi. I give him an enthusiastic thumbs-up. I'll admit that up to now, my exposure to him has consisted of "Rockit," which, although way cool in its own way, I didn't find compelling enough to put forth any effort to see what else he had done.

Secrets is really good too.

quote:

Actually, that's a better recommendation than you may realize. I've heard a couple things of his by way of in-store play at a local indie record store I used to frequent. "What's that you have playing?" "Fela Kuti." "Oh, cool." So it impressed me enough to ask about it, but when it came time to buy something and go home, something else was a higher priority. I haven't thought about him in years, and the reminder is very much welcome.
Sorrow, Tears & Blood was the first record of his I heard and I still come back to it.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

me your dad posted:

Gentleman, Expensive poo poo (which has the best Fela song 'Water No Get Enemy'), Zombie

It's all good though, can't really go wrong.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking at wumpscuts discography for something I could enjoy.
I only ever listened to Wreath of Barbs which blew my teenage mind back then, any pointers ?

e:found some stuff

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 23, 2014

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

Jeff Buckley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXe1jpHPnUs

RIP :(

e: Might particularly appeal in that Buckley sounds a bit like Thom Yorke, if Thom Yorke had a good voice (don't get me wrong, I like Radiohead as much as the next guy, but his voice may be compelling but it's not objectively good)

Buckley Jr. is sublime, yeah.

For heartfelt, (semi) acoustic stuff I also highly, highly recommend John Frusciante's solo work. All of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmJrXaPx3Dw

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

For acoustic stuff, you could always go with some Loudon Wainright III. His album "A Live One" is just him and a guitar on stage. It's fantastic stuff and doesn't get too goofy like he has a tendency to do sometimes.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
Looking for really long, primarily acoustic stuff.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Gushing Granny posted:

Looking for really long, primarily acoustic stuff.

What do you consider 'really long'?

I've suggested him before in this thread, and I'll do so here because he always can use more recognition - John Fahey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep3YHeYP1AM

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
Can anyone recommend artists who do cool electronic and/or bass-heavy tunes without any singing - or, at the very least, where they keep the vocals simple, and to a minimum? For example, I like Orbital's Halcyon+On+On and Prodigy's Funky poo poo, but I don't like most of Skrillex's stuff. I tend to load the albums The Massacre by FantomenK and Caps On Hats Off by Bossfight into a playlist and run that for a while, but I'd like some suggestions that are less 8-bit (not that I'm averse to some more suggestions in the same vein as FantomenK or Bossfight).

I like this type of music for background - when I'm doing homework, or just sitting reading the forums or playing a game or something - and vocals tend to distract me and take away from the music. I just want some cool beats that I can add to a Spotify playlist and leave it running on shuffle/repeat, and not get distracted by it.

Suggestions?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Pretty Lights seems to be right up your street. Funky Electronica heavy on bass vocals are minimal on most tracks, has the ability to be background music when you want it to be but you can go to a live show and catch all the musical detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9xrkguKZU

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

LionYeti posted:

Pretty Lights seems to be right up your street. Funky Electronica heavy on bass vocals are minimal on most tracks, has the ability to be background music when you want it to be but you can go to a live show and catch all the musical detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9xrkguKZU

This is pretty good, thanks!

I've also been enjoying some of The Glitch Mob, as recommended to me by a friend. More of this would be fantastic! I wouldn't mind some more stuff that has really heavy bass beats, a la Prodigy, as well.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Jadz posted:

Can anyone recommend artists who do cool electronic and/or bass-heavy tunes without any singing - or, at the very least, where they keep the vocals simple, and to a minimum? For example, I like Orbital's Halcyon+On+On and Prodigy's Funky poo poo, but I don't like most of Skrillex's stuff. I tend to load the albums The Massacre by FantomenK and Caps On Hats Off by Bossfight into a playlist and run that for a while, but I'd like some suggestions that are less 8-bit (not that I'm averse to some more suggestions in the same vein as FantomenK or Bossfight).

I like this type of music for background - when I'm doing homework, or just sitting reading the forums or playing a game or something - and vocals tend to distract me and take away from the music. I just want some cool beats that I can add to a Spotify playlist and leave it running on shuffle/repeat, and not get distracted by it.

Suggestions?

Jon Hopkins. If that's too hectic he does a lot of chill stuff too (like this)

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

Jon Hopkins. If that's too hectic he does a lot of chill stuff too (like this)

This is good stuff! Thanks!

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for some music that sounds like Halloween. Preferably something from this year but 2013's fine too.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've been really digging on Kevin Ayers' album Whatevershebringswesing.
Where should I go next with him, considering I already know Soft Machine?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

alnilam posted:

I've been really digging on Kevin Ayers' album Whatevershebringswesing.
Where should I go next with him, considering I already know Soft Machine?

It's only downward from there, really. Joy of a Toy, The Confessions of Dr. Dream, and Shooting at the Moon are all very good although not as good as Whatevershebringswesing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A Major Fucker posted:

I'm looking for some music that sounds like Halloween. Preferably something from this year but 2013's fine too.

I know it's become very stereotypical and "le edgy internet maymay", but Andrew Gold's Halloween Howls reminds me of Halloween as a child, in a very "Goosebumps/Tales From The Crypt" type of way.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009
Hello all, I'm looking for some strong bass music, powerful. Like, way stronger than '2 unlimited - get ready for this', something along the voltage of 'Amon Amarth - Free Will Sacrifice' or 'No Fear for the Setting Sun'. Not limited to metal only, rock is great too, or whatever you will find worth sharing . I'm not very savvy in music, excuse me.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

agrielaios posted:

Hello all, I'm looking for some strong bass music, powerful. Like, way stronger than '2 unlimited - get ready for this', something along the voltage of 'Amon Amarth - Free Will Sacrifice' or 'No Fear for the Setting Sun'. Not limited to metal only, rock is great too, or whatever you will find worth sharing . I'm not very savvy in music, excuse me.

Have you tried stuff like Kyuss or other desert/stoner rock stuff?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

agrielaios posted:

Maybe Lightning Bolt. Two man group, just drums and bass (and, occasionally, distorted vocals).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Shl6s6beo

Incidentally, if anyone here has Audiosurf, try Mono Pro with this song.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Have you tried stuff like Kyuss or other desert/stoner rock stuff?

Never heard about Kyuss but listening now and it's really good! Thanks

regulargonzalez posted:

Maybe Lightning Bolt. Two man group, just drums and bass (and, occasionally, distorted vocals).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Shl6s6beo

Incidentally, if anyone here has Audiosurf, try Mono Pro with this song.

Not to my liking, it turned out, but thanks

agrielaios fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

agrielaios posted:

Since you said Amon Amarth, it's hard to beat Bolt Thrower for death metal with a lot of powerful low-end.