Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So I finally caught an episode of new Powerpuff Girls today.

...It was bad, man, real bad. I went into it with as open a mind as possible, too. Even my kids refuse to watch any more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

axleblaze posted:

That episode had Powerpuff Girls twerking. What a strange time we live in.
Yeah especially when there was a giant shitstorm when a character twerked in Symbiotic Titan

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Also my favorite episode of Mystery Inc is definitely the HP Hatecraft/Harlan Ellison one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbRJ8bGIUZ0
Got some pretty neat references too like how the deranged fan of HP Hatecraft is named Howard Roberts

And a Galaxy Quest reference.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

raditts posted:

...It was bad, man, real bad. I went into it with as open a mind as possible, too. Even my kids refuse to watch any more of it.

Which one was it, out of curiosity? I really liked the Hangover parody one and thought the monster island one was decent, but I just watched the unicorn and new power one and they were both awful.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Band Geeks is one of the best episodes of a comedy cartoon ever made, and Squidward winds up being the hero in that.

https://vimeo.com/61875169

One of my favorite episodes of all time.

"You know how some people talk loud to sound smart?"

"YES!"

And since we're on the subject, one of my other favorite episodes was one of the first ones, where Spongebob bought those inflatable muscle arms. I don't really care for the episode as a whole, but I always watch it just for one line:

"I used to a wimp without anchor arms. Now I'm a jerk and everybody loves me."

PBS Newshour posted:

Oh god, I have the vaguest memories of Zombie Island, that is the one where people suddenly start turning into werecat creatures right? I remember that one and the one with the Goth band.

Zombie Island was great for nothing else than the awesome soundtrack by Skycycle. It helps that it was a legitimately good movie as a whole as well. Probably the best Scooby Doo related thing since Scooby Doo Meet The Boo Brothers, and remained the best thing until Mystery Inc.

Witch's ghost was...okay. I didn't really care for the songs in that one though, and for some reason didn't really enjoy the ending.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah especially when there was a giant shitstorm when a character twerked in Symbiotic Titan

The difference being one is possibly a senior in high school and the other two are possibly in first grade :gonk:

I don't want to think about what's going to be considered acceptable when I'm grandpa age.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 8, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MrSlam posted:

The difference being one is possibly a senior in high school and the other two are possibly in first grade :gonk:
Well, just think back to how those 50s Sock Hops had old biddies walking around with rulers to measure hemlines and to maintain the adequate Jesus Distance between two barely-touching highschoolers.

Things change, man. When I was but a boy Daggering was a wholesome, clean way of dancing. Now look at them kids...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not offended by the Powerpuff tweaking it anything and it lasted like a second at most, it was just a really weird thing to see.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CuddlyZombie posted:

Which one was it, out of curiosity? I really liked the Hangover parody one and thought the monster island one was decent, but I just watched the unicorn and new power one and they were both awful.

It was the one where they went to save the mayor from crashing on an island and spent the whole time arguing about tickets to see a boy band, so I guess the monster island one?
It's not even like I was expecting it to be slavishly loyal to the original or anything, but it's like the only things they have in common are characters that look somewhat similar and one of them is voiced by Tom Kenny.
Kinda like when some fan makes an episode of the show they like and they inject all their own weird personal poo poo and completely lose what made the original appealing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I found the whole thing very PPGish. I rewatched the entire series relatively recently and while it was still good it didn't hold up 100%. The episodes they've shown so far seem like, for better or worse, pretty standard PPG episodes with new voices and a few more modern things thrown in.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MrSlam posted:

I don't want to think about what's going to be considered acceptable when I'm grandpa age.

The difference is that one was done as a quick joke and the other was masturbarory in every sense of the word.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I know what I sound like.

Goldurn ten year olds making their asses clap! They should be doing wholesome dances like the lambada, the stanky leg, and the dougie. Get off my lawn whippersnappers!

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 8, 2016

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Ye9O-LpuA

I misremembered the exact lines but was close!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The part where the two baton twirlers twirl so hard they helicopter into the sky and crash into a blimp and cause it to explode nearly killed me the first time I saw it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will say it's really weird to have a Superhero show that tries to have a clear moral at the end of each episode after months of watching TTG, a show that seems devoted to making fun of that concept.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

raditts posted:

CuddlyZombie posted:

Checked out a synopsis of the unicorn one and wow, it's bad. The new PPG show seems really disappointing, and I know what the unicorn one was supposed to be - that was not handled well at all. Do the writers have any connection to the 90s show/have any credentials at all, or are they entirely new?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Bringing back the show just seems to have been a bad idea from the start.

Corek fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 12, 2016

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Checked out a synopsis of the unicorn one and wow, it's bad. The new PPG show seems really disappointing, and I know what the unicorn one was supposed to be - that was not handled well at all. Do the writers have any connection to the 90s show/have any credentials at all, or are they entirely new?

I haven't seen old PPG in a long time, what was it supposed to be?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Fondly remembered but incredibly dated by today's standards.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

You mean about the unicorn? It's not a reference to the original show

I haven't seen the episode but looking for a synopsis on the internet I gather it's basically this:

A pony wants to become a unicorn in a thinly veiled reference to transgenderism. The Professor does a procedure on the pony to do the change but it goes wrong and/or the pony doesn't like the results and then goes on an angry rampage. At the end the pony gets turned back to his original state and learns his lesson, that transgenderism is a bad idea and Be Careful What You Wish For

Classy

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 12, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
...actually at the end he finds out he was a unicorn the entire time.

If you want to take this as a direct 1:1 metaphor the episode at worst says that it isn't a decision you should rush/be pressured into.

Ramos posted:

Fondly remembered but incredibly dated by today's standards.

Pretty much. As I said, I rewatched the series pretty recently and this really doesn't seem, for better or worse, incredibly different.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Last night's episode was decent, about the quality of a forgettable original series episode. You know, the ones you barely remember, like the broccoli one

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

You mean about the unicorn? It's not a reference to the original show

I haven't seen the episode but looking for a synopsis on the internet I gather it's basically this:

A pony wants to become a unicorn in a thinly veiled reference to transgenderism. The Professor does a procedure on the pony to do the change but it goes wrong and/or the pony doesn't like the results and then goes on an angry rampage. At the end the pony gets turned back to his original state and learns his lesson, that transgenderism is a bad idea and Be Careful What You Wish For

Classy

Eh south park already did that with dolphin's which lead to that episode where a mouse had a singing penis on its back

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Isn't there supposed to be a new PPG episode about bullfighting, and it turns out that bullfighting is ok because it turns out that the bulls enjoy it and everything is fine? I don't know if that one has aired yet, but gently caress that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

...actually at the end he finds out he was a unicorn the entire time.

So it's really more of a metaphor for cosmetic surgery.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

The Silver Snail posted:

Isn't there supposed to be a new PPG episode about bullfighting, and it turns out that bullfighting is ok because it turns out that the bulls enjoy it and everything is fine? I don't know if that one has aired yet, but gently caress that.

The old Pokemon defence.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Silver Snail posted:

There's a bit in the Hangover parody episode where they go to a bullfighting stadium while retracing their steps and find that Buttercup defeated a bull by ramming it head-on, but I don't recall anything resembling what you're talking about.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

raditts posted:

There's a bit in the Hangover parody episode where they go to a bullfighting stadium while retracing their steps and find that Buttercup defeated a bull by ramming it head-on, but I don't recall anything resembling what you're talking about.

Well I was only going off what I heard, so it is possible it was just Tumblr over reacting about that scene. Either way, not a great show.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The Silver Snail posted:

Well I was only going off what I heard, so it is possible it was just Tumblr over reacting about that scene. Either way, not a great show.

This is a show that can't please anybody. Fans of the old show don't like it cause its new and cashing in on nostalgia. People over here are saying it's insensitive and careless in its messages. People over there are saying it's aggressively progressive. I think the only people who'll like this show are the kids it's intended for. And even then, the only ones I've seen enjoying it are the sons and daughters of all those Cartoon Network employees who post the video-snippets for RUCN What We're SayN bumper campaign.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The new PPG needs more attitude. It would make it work a lot more.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I saw an episode where Bubbles had to choose between Blossom and Buttercup for who to share her second concert ticket with. The whole episode went exactly how you'd expect and I wondered if the writers were actually excited about this storyline or just trying to fill in the blanks to make something passable.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
People who complain about it being progressive are just probably the usual airheads mad that a show says girls can do something. And it's good that the show followed Steven universe, because say what you will about it or its fanbase, it shows progressives are not an unpleasable boogeyman.

Some of the unicorn episode sounds kind of cruel. I'm going to pass until somene says an episode was really great

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's probably not going to inconvenience you too much to watch a 10 minute cartoon and form your own opinion.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

computer parts posted:

It's probably not going to inconvenience you too much to watch a 10 minute cartoon and form your own opinion.

Not in between all the great anime this season :smug:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

Isn't that just enlisting an artist to draw you art and then you tell them to "make it iconic"?

Xelkelvos posted:

Not in between all the great anime this season :smug:

JoJo and uh... uuuuuuuuuuh...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's actually quite a bit. I'm following like 9 series.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

No, really, I'm kind of curious over here. I don't exactly keep up to date on anime.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ramos posted:

Isn't that just enlisting an artist to draw you art and then you tell them to "make it iconic"?

No because iconic and attitude are two different things

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

PBS Newshour posted:

These Powerpuff Girls are irreverent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
So you want a realistic down-to-earth Powerpuff Girls that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?