Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

follow @Rovellreplies too, he gets some excellent trolls beyond just "you suck, rear end in a top hat"

I only follow Rovellreplies, it's much funnier without Darrell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MourningView posted:

why the gently caress do y'all pay attention to darren rovell

i don't actively seek him out but i like hearing about him because the retarded poo poo he says and focuses on makes me laugh.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dutchy posted:

i don't actively seek him out but i like hearing about him because the retarded poo poo he says and focuses on makes me laugh.

(picture referred to: https://twitter.com/AndrewgVaughan/status/577961203877605376/photo/1 )

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I think when official team Twitter accounts are making fun of you you may want to rethink your life/tweets.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think it's worse that he's paid to report that.
Yeah. He Tweeted out something that you could find in five seconds on Football-Reference if you were interested. What would have been far more interesting was if Rovell had discussed how much money Borland would have potentially been walking away from, supposing that if he keeps playing football he's a key player in the 49ers defense and has at least a decent career.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah. He Tweeted out something that you could find in five seconds on Football-Reference if you were interested. What would have been far more interesting was if Rovell had discussed how much money Borland would have potentially been walking away from, supposing that if he keeps playing football he's a key player in the 49ers defense and has at least a decent career.

Eh, the only contract you're guaranteed to have is the current one, who knows if he would have blown out his knee or something and has his career end that way. Speculating on future earnings is pointless, which amazes me that Rovell doesn't do it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Every time I see Darren Rovell all I can think of is he's an unironic version of the MY BRAND guy from this commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCJ5BNKdWbo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I kind of suspect thay in his early life Darren Rovel created Taylor Swift in a lab with some kind of Weird Science type shenanigans. She is basically Brand made flesh (not that that's a bad thing, her brand is unimpeachable).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The most unrealistic part of that scenario is the idea that Darren Rovell created anything at any point in his life.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
As Deadspin points out, not only is Rovell a soulless weasel, he's also a business reporter who doesn't understand business

http://deadspin.com/espns-sports-business-reporter-doesnt-understand-sports-1692958056

He got destroyed for this nonsense on Twitter by lots of people. Writers, economists, even Brandon McCarthy.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

As Deadspin points out, not only is Rovell a soulless weasel, he's also a business reporter who doesn't understand business

http://deadspin.com/espns-sports-business-reporter-doesnt-understand-sports-1692958056

He got destroyed for this nonsense on Twitter by lots of people. Writers, economists, even Brandon McCarthy.

To be fair, Brandon McCarthy appears to have common sense, which Rovell lacks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Look at all this buzz Darren Rovell's #brand is generating. He must be a very successful media personality.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The best Rovell thing is him registering a twitter account for his newborn son.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'm not on the Twitter so I can go weeks at a time without remembering that this dude exists and it's unsettling when I do.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I've had nightmares that Simmons leaves ESPN and Grantland gets turned over to Rovell who creates Brandland, a shameless rimjob to #Brands and corporate champions that somehow ends up influencing ESPN's editorial policies and ultimately the world.

I gotta start doing drugs so I can have better dreams, or at least more coherent ones.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ElwoodCuse posted:

follow @Rovellreplies too, he gets some excellent trolls beyond just "you suck, rear end in a top hat"

Yeah this is the real reason to care about Rovell

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

C. Everett Koop posted:

I've had nightmares that Simmons leaves ESPN and Grantland gets turned over to Rovell who creates Brandland, a shameless rimjob to #Brands and corporate champions that somehow ends up influencing ESPN's editorial policies and ultimately the world.

I gotta start doing drugs so I can have better dreams, or at least more coherent ones.
That does seem like the kind of thing Disney would do

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
whoa ESPN.com had a redesign, looks slick.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Geno posted:

it is terrible. bloated. and requires you to sign in to prevent Texas Longhorn info from filling up your screen

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Geno posted:

:stonk:

If I wanted 40% of the screen taken up by useless bullshit I'd just turn on Fox Sports 1.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

content

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
At least they retained the tiny floating disembodied head of Bill Simmons. :3:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

certain sites/platforms benefit from personalization. ESPN is not one of them. It remains one of the few (maybe only) widely relied upon mainstream sports-media outlets. It should not become some facebook-like scroll-athon where I have to log in every time I want to get rid of Dallas Cowboy pop-ups or random tweets from the Golden State Warriors

what a loving mess

BWV fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 1, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If you select "Classic View" it's still the new template, but it replaces Nate Silver's head with Rick Reilly's.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BWV posted:

certain sites/platforms benefit from personalization. ESPN is not one of them. It remains one of the few (maybe only) widely relied upon mainstream sports-media outlets. It should not become some facebook-like scroll-athon where I have to log in every time I want to get rid of Dallas Cowboy pop-ups or random tweets from the Golden State Warriors

what a loving mess

I don't know if it's attempting to read IP addresses for suggested teams or if this is national. I am nowhere near any of these teams.

It just needs a New England Patriots for maximum screen punchage.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I don't know if it's attempting to read IP addresses for suggested teams or if this is national. I am nowhere near any of these teams.

Maybe it's trying to subtly suggest to you that you're an rear end in a top hat and you should choose your teams accordingly :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's pretty messy. I also really hate the 'let's use the mobile version of the site for everything' trend that's been happening across a lot of major websites.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I don't know if it tries to use your IP address or the one of your ISP, but mine has a bunch of stuff about the Pelicans, Saints, and LSU. Which makes sense because I'm in south Louisiana.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's pretty messy. I also really hate the 'let's use the mobile version of the site for everything' trend that's been happening across a lot of major websites.

Pretty soon more website traffic is going to be mobile and tablet than desktop, serving a separate m dot site rather than using responsive design now makes no sense.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
When you read these sites on mobile, do they also have half the phone screen being taken up by useless poo poo? Literally the entire left half of the screen is taken up with the article links and a comically intrusive sidebar for social media sharing. http://i.imgur.com/nRnaj4x.png. You have to scroll so much because so much space horizontally is being used.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I like it fine. The favorites bar on the left saves a few steps if you actually use it, and the "Now" bar is a decent mix of actual news and dumb crap. Looks good on the phone, too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm fine with the personalized team stuff, but everything on the right seems clunky

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I like having the teams I care about having their stuff right there at the top of the page.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Holy poo poo that's slow on the work machine.

I now can't find literally the only thing I was visiting ESPN to see, the implosion of ~my company bracket~.

I do admit I like the ability to customize the top bar to include/omit sports you want to see or never think about.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

So It Goes posted:

When you read these sites on mobile, do they also have half the phone screen being taken up by useless poo poo? Literally the entire left half of the screen is taken up with the article links and a comically intrusive sidebar for social media sharing. http://i.imgur.com/nRnaj4x.png. You have to scroll so much because so much space horizontally is being used.

Shrink your browser horizontally and the site will eventually adjust to the mobile version. Odds are, the site uses Bootstrap for the responsive design. As a result, the layout can change at four different horizontal browser widths: Phones (<768px), Tablets (≥768px), Desktops (≥992px), Large Desktops (≥1200px). You can just drag the left or right side of your browser to see what those different layouts look like.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
How many of these replies are goatse

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/583251643153715200

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I like the personalization stuff and am typically signed in anyway since I have Insider, but it's not a great looking design.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It actually loads and reads faster than the old ESPN did on my computer, but the design is pretty garbage.

There's very little to no flow and your eye is drawn all over the place. Also articles sometimes don't have a complete beginning or end as you can just keep scrolling.

Frames all over the place.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's the former. I live in Southern Indiana and I get IU/UK/Cards/Colts.

edit: I get Kentucky Football and Basketball but only Indiana Basketball :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Frackie Robinson posted:

:stonk:

If I wanted 40% of the screen taken up by useless bullshit I'd just turn on Fox Sports 1.

Everyone either complains there is too many ads, or too much white space (people using adblockers). I think it's fine. It could be a lot better but meh, I can't remember the last website redesign that I thought was functional and easy on the eyes.