Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Does anyone have any experience with 3d printers? The results shown in this video just seem too good to be true. It's obvious they are missing out much of the process, but I can't believe the final result is as good as they say. Is this a hoax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

There's a bunch of goons with experience with them in this thread.

Angry Tiny Man
Feb 26, 2007

I recently picked up a TV that I'm trying to hook up to my cable, but it seems the only nearby cable plug already goes to my internet connection. Now I'm shopping around for a cable splitter, and I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for, if one kind is better than another, that sort of thing. What's the best choice for this job?

Angry Tiny Man fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 8, 2011

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

0vIMY9roniEzkBBhvbVP
7kXtSSYXI3w0vnLyfePp
I4QObuYF0WIu7UsPqRwW
XCXbYjyNIZJVclQyc4f3
kuLDQfjXdcrOzpNqy2hD
8wqlew4Prr0IhAsoC50F
x6Q6Q4dvxG8VD3SYrlhv
p22eBeamMXPzpPVErfeE
VQfsWefVpELGl3iMlLja
1pTdGKAmxoJEYTAl4kuI

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 28, 2023

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Angry Tiny Man posted:

I recently picked up a TV that I'm trying to hook up to my cable, but it seems the only nearby cable plug already goes to my internet connection. Now I'm shopping around for a cable splitter, and I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for, if one kind is better than another, that sort of thing. What's the best choice for this job?

A coax splitter should be like five bucks at Target or Radio Shack. They're really simple.

fuckin breeders man
Mar 21, 2007
I have a nice stainless steel pen that I broke recently. I tightened it together too much and when I tried to unscrew it the threaded part in the back half of the pen came apart and got stuck in the threaded part on the other side. I stuck it back in, but it keeps popping out. Does anyone have a good metal to metal glue? Soldering or welding would be stupid as it's a nice pen.

E: preferably something available in stores as opposed to ordering online

fuckin breeders man fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 8, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

AlphaDog posted:

I don't see how it would make a noticable difference to life in Australia either. I mean, I'd rather not live in a colony with a foreign monarch any more, but being a republic isn't going to make things magically better. It would probably actually make things worse as people used the change to shoehorn stupid laws in.

Foreign monarch? She's the queen of Australia! She might not live there but Australia's had its own monarchy for about, what, 70 years? ;)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

BonHair posted:

Why does she lose her own name and get awarded several boys names?

It's just how it's done in a formal, patriarchal way. The same way a few decades ago, Michelle might have been referred to as "Mrs. Barack Obama".

She is also formally styled without her last name. It is incorrect, I believe, to refer to her as Kate Middleton, the same way Diana was no longer Diana Spencer. She is Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, just as her husband is not William Mountbatten-Windsor, but is rather Prince William, Duke of Cambridge. Again, according to Wikipedia: "As a titled royal, Catherine holds no surname, but when one is used, it is Mountbatten-Windsor." However, it also has a citation needed tag, so take from it what you will. I'm American, so my knowledge of the royals is somewhat lacking. We dealt with that problem some time ago. :coal:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Where do I go to post very basic questions about operating an android tablet?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

dokmo posted:

Where do I go to post very basic questions about operating an android tablet?

Here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411557

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Eyeball posted:

Angry Tiny Man posted:

A coax splitter should be like five bucks at Target or Radio Shack. They're really simple.

To clarify further: What you need is a small metal box with one male coax plug on one side and two male coax plugs on the other. (It may also have attachment points for screws so you can fasten it to the wall. I have two splitters; one does and one doesn't, but it doesn't affect the function of the device either way.)

Anyone trying to sell you anything fancier than that is ripping you off.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

I'm going to download my first digital copy of a movie, and the WB site gives me the option of "iTunes format" or "Windows Media format." Will either of these play nicely on an Android device?

Most likely they both have copyright protection and won't play on an android device no mater what format you choose.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Can anyone tell me how my friend managed to sneak a can of red bull out of woolworthes through an electronic security gate?

- He basically put the can into his pocket, bought a kit kat and got the receipt for it then walked out through the gates, but they didn't go off at all. He was wearing track pants which were extra thick material so I'm guessing that the gate didn't scan the drink due to the pants thickness.

I am probably wrong about that... but can anyone tell me about the gates and why he was able to get away with stealing the red bull?

- Also I'm probably not going to hang out with him for a long time now.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Raphisonfire posted:

Can anyone tell me how my friend managed to sneak a can of red bull out of woolworthes through an electronic security gate?

- He basically put the can into his pocket, bought a kit kat and got the receipt for it then walked out through the gates, but they didn't go off at all. He was wearing track pants which were extra thick material so I'm guessing that the gate didn't scan the drink due to the pants thickness.

I am probably wrong about that... but can anyone tell me about the gates and why he was able to get away with stealing the red bull?

Because it is made out of Aluminum and that generally won't set off a walk through detector.

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 8, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I just remembered why I came here in the first place. I have an email address which is just my first and last names @gmail.com, which I've had since the early days of Gmail when you needed an invite.
Apparently, there is another dude with my name (which is strange, because both of my names are fairly uncommon and my last name has a weird spelling) and this dumb motherfucker thinks that he has my email address. He goes to Brigham Young and I get receipts for all of his assignments and poo poo emailed to me, as well as stuff from his teachers and classmates and official BYU emails that say things like "Your financial information has been updated". I've replied to a few asking if they could tell the dude to fix his email address, but I haven't gotten any responses back, possibly because Mormons are all retarded assholes. I could just blacklist everything as they come in, but there's a lot of different addresses and they come from different domains. What the hell should I do?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Raphisonfire posted:

I'm assuming you're talking about those anti-theft gates and not a metal detector security gate like at the airort. If so, the reason is: it's not a metal detector; it only goes off for those special tags they put on clothing and in some product packages which are rarely on drink cans (and he could have peeled it off if there were one.) If they were just metal detectors they'd go off every time a lady with metal on her purse or a guy with a metal belt buckle walked through. Which would be ridiculous since you could just hide poo poo to steal in your pants and say it must be the belt buckle or whatever.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I saw this video the other day (I think on YouTube) of a Japanese cartoon of fast techoish music video that was a bunch scenes of different colored realities with random crazy stuff going on in them. The only one I remember is a sushi chef just standing there bored.

At the end, characters from the different scenes start breaking into each other and the colors start combining so that eventually there is mass chaos going on and the sushi chef is busily serving people from like 3 different realities.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? The video title was in Japanese which I definitely do not speak.

Yes, it's the TV show (The title is actually in English; 自主制作アニメーション just means "independent animated work" or something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ9YtJC-Kd8
link for embedded video impaired

dirby fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 8, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I just remembered why I came here in the first place. I have an email address which is just my first and last names @gmail.com, which I've had since the early days of Gmail when you needed an invite.
Apparently, there is another dude with my name (which is strange, because both of my names are fairly uncommon and my last name has a weird spelling) and this dumb motherfucker thinks that he has my email address. He goes to Brigham Young and I get receipts for all of his assignments and poo poo emailed to me, as well as stuff from his teachers and classmates and official BYU emails that say things like "Your financial information has been updated". I've replied to a few asking if they could tell the dude to fix his email address, but I haven't gotten any responses back, possibly because Mormons are all retarded assholes. I could just blacklist everything as they come in, but there's a lot of different addresses and they come from different domains. What the hell should I do?

He's probably just been making up a believable email address for paperwork based on his name so he doesn't get spam, and is completely unaware/doesn't care that it is someone's legitimate email.

ie. nothing you can do other than to unsubscribe as they come in
or look him up on facebook and message him to use bgates@microsoft.com like the rest of us.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
I need help identifying a film and a short story. I posted in the appropriate threads for that with no luck, so I figured I'll give it a shot here.

TremendousMajestic posted:

Alright, so me and the newly minted wife were on our honeymoon. In Rome, we caught the last twenty or so minutes of what appeared to be a French film. I say "appeared" because there was little to no dialogue in the parts we saw, but it was on a French satellite channel. What I can tell you is that it featured a very tall man (he almost looked like he had mild gigantism), his wife, and their small boy. They had a tumultuous relationship, and something tragic happens to the boy (perhaps a drowning?), and the giant man is very sad. The end.

Any ideas?

TremendousMajestic posted:

I was talking to a friend about "Let's Go to Golgotha," and it jogged my memory about an older short story I read. I'm 99% sure it was in a SF anthology.

It was about a prim, religious man who dies and shows up in the afterlife expecting the traditional heaven, but finds that eternal life turns out to closely mirror the life he had just led on Earth - he still has the same austere apartment and self-indulgent coworkers. He finds his way to administration and lodges a complaint, and they basically say "Well, if this isn't your ideal, why the hell did you live your life on Earth this way?"

Any ideas on the title of the story?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Besesoth posted:

To clarify further: What you need is a small metal box with one male coax plug on one side and two male coax plugs on the other. (It may also have attachment points for screws so you can fasten it to the wall. I have two splitters; one does and one doesn't, but it doesn't affect the function of the device either way.)

Anyone trying to sell you anything fancier than that is ripping you off.

Eh, not really. If you go too cheap they'll use really poor quality materials and you usually end up having intermittent issues on the cable modem due to weak signal. You don't need to spend $100 or anything but if the guy gets a cheap one and notices weird issues with the cable modem afterwards, they'll need a better quality splitter.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Pweller posted:

He's probably just been making up a believable email address for paperwork based on his name so he doesn't get spam, and is completely unaware/doesn't care that it is someone's legitimate email.

ie. nothing you can do other than to unsubscribe as they come in
or look him up on facebook and message him to use bgates@microsoft.com like the rest of us.

I think there's something else going on, because a year or so ago, I got a couple of emails from his mother. I replied and told her what the deal was, and hadn't gotten anything since up until a week or so ago when this started. So I guess he's either stupid or an rear end in a top hat.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Angry Tiny Man posted:

Get a decent 1ghz 2 way splitter, it doesn't have to be (actually don't buy) "monster" but cheap splitters are the cable techs worst nightmare. Also the cables are important, not so much now that everything is digital but cheap cables have lovely center conductors and shielding which can cause annoying problems:

Bad:
http://www.amazon.com/23301-Coaxial-Cable-Plugs-Each/dp/B0002UTYP0/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Good:
http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-CM-3713-Coaxial-Cable/dp/B002ZSNEM6/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1310145924&sr=8-19
E: Couldn't find a normal length good quality cable but that's what they look like

Basically good RG6 should be about as thick as a pen (or more) and the center conductor should be fairly thick and rigid. The cheap stuff usually has a thin center conductor that doesn't make good contact and/or "suck out", along with other issues.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 8, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

I think there's something else going on, because a year or so ago, I got a couple of emails from his mother. I replied and told her what the deal was, and hadn't gotten anything since up until a week or so ago when this started. So I guess he's either stupid or an rear end in a top hat.

In that case he's probably just got a really lovely email address people mess up since you already took the good one :)

billsmith was taken so he's got bill_smith, billlsmith, biIIsmith, billsmith1, etc.

I sympathize dude.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Since you mentioned previously that he is Mormon I would put my money on him being both an rear end in a top hat and stupid.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

helopticor posted:

Yes, it's the TV show (The title is actually in English; 自主制作アニメーション just means "independent animated work" or something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ9YtJC-Kd8
link for embedded video impaired

Yesss. Thank you.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Pweller posted:

In that case he's probably just got a really lovely email address people mess up since you already took the good one :)

billsmith was taken so he's got bill_smith, billlsmith, biIIsmith, billsmith1, etc.

I sympathize dude.

I'm in the same situation and think it's funny. I'll get chain emails from relatives of whoever the original recipient is and I'll reply back with "lol!!" and stuff. Having fun with it is a little better than raging out I think. At first I tried to clarify I wasn't whoever but I still get poo poo all the time.

Once I got Amazon credit from something the recipient had returned. I waited a few months to see what would happen and it was never taken away, so I gifted a fleshlight to their address. It was never returned so I guess I made someone happy.

My question: Is it better to pay $200 more a month to live by yourself or live with a stranger and save money? My current friend-roommate got laid off and is moving out, and I've been debating this in my head ever since. I have the means to pay more, but $200 extra a month can buy lots of things or be a nice chunk of savings.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Pweller posted:

I sympathize dude.

I remember gmail having a problem not being able to distinguish between bill.smith and billsmith, with messages being sent to one address ending up in both inboxes.

I'm sure it's been fixed, but maybe it's something like that?

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Knightmare posted:

My question: Is it better to pay $200 more a month to live by yourself or live with a stranger and save money? My current friend-roommate got laid off and is moving out, and I've been debating this in my head ever since. I have the means to pay more, but $200 extra a month can buy lots of things or be a nice chunk of savings.

If you like the idea of living alone I'd say pay the $200. I don't like living without roommates but for most people it's a luxury and in the city I live in average rent + 200 is unheard of for the chance to have that. Go for it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Can someone tell me how odds are set for things like sports betting or horse races? I tried googling it and didn't find anything. Is it an automated formula, or is there some sort of expert evaluation that comes into play? Do different places calculate them differently?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

I remember gmail having a problem not being able to distinguish between bill.smith and billsmith, with messages being sent to one address ending up in both inboxes.

I'm sure it's been fixed, but maybe it's something like that?

I think gmail ignores periods in the username, so a.b.c.d.e@gmail.com ends up being the same as abcde@gmail.com

e: this is definitely the case, usernames are also case-insensitive, https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?ctx=gmail&hl=en&answer=10313

Pweller fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 8, 2011

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

hayden. posted:

Can someone tell me how odds are set for things like sports betting or horse races? I tried googling it and didn't find anything. Is it an automated formula, or is there some sort of expert evaluation that comes into play? Do different places calculate them differently?

Does this help? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_of_bookmaking

edit: there's also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odds#Gambling_odds_versus_probabilities

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Pweller posted:

I sympathize dude.

I hope this is the case. I really just want to get it fixed not only because it fills up my inbox, but he's also not getting them, and some seem fairly important. Would I be able to call someone at BYU and get it fixed?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

I hope this is the case. I really just want to get it fixed not only because it fills up my inbox, but he's also not getting them, and some seem fairly important. Would I be able to call someone at BYU and get it fixed?

Does any of the correspondence you're getting for him have a physical address or alternate email address for him?

You could try contacting the school, but I really don't think that's going to get you anywhere.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Get a decent 1ghz 2 way splitter, it doesn't have to be (actually don't buy) "monster" but cheap splitters are the cable techs worst nightmare. Also the cables are important, not so much now that everything is digital but cheap cables have lovely center conductors and shielding which can cause annoying problems:

Bad:
http://www.amazon.com/23301-Coaxial-Cable-Plugs-Each/dp/B0002UTYP0/ref=pd_cp_e_1

Good:
http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-CM-3713-Coaxial-Cable/dp/B002ZSNEM6/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1310145924&sr=8-19
E: Couldn't find a normal length good quality cable but that's what they look like

Basically good RG6 should be about as thick as a pen (or more) and the center conductor should be fairly thick and rigid. The cheap stuff usually has a thin center conductor that doesn't make good contact and/or "suck out", along with other issues.
What's wrong with the cable you linked as "bad" and what's better about the "good" one and how can you tell from a picture?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Another neat related gmail thing, it also ignores a + at the end of the username and anything after the +. So if you're pronabater007@gmail.com you receive mail sent to pronabater007+lolbuttz@gmail.com

I don't really know how this is useful, might come in handy if you made up a +something for a craigslist ad to help sort replies or if you sign up for website like netflix you can do pronabater007+netflix@gmail.com as your email address, then you know if you see anything come through with that as the to: you know it was netflix who gave them your address.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

hayden. posted:

Yes everywhere is different, basically they set the line and then adjust it as interest moves so say there was a game A v B, I start a money line at +200 for A and -220 for B. That means if I bet $100 on A (the underdog) I get $200 if they win, but if I want to bet for the favorite B I have to bet $220 to win $100. You may ask why isn't it -200 for B? That 20 "point" difference is where they make their money so they always try to keep an even amount of people on either side of the proposition so they make money no matter who wins. If everyone starts pouring in bets for B they make the bet less attractive by lowering the line to -300 (bet 300 to make 100) and making the A bet more attractive.

When there is a "clear winner" (like tyson v douglas :laugh: ) they often won't take bets because no matter how low they set the line people won't take the opposing bet.

randyest posted:

What's wrong with the cable you linked as "bad" and what's better about the "good" one and how can you tell from a picture?

A whole lot of experience? I said what makes it "bad" in the post. I can tell from a picture because I've pulled a few miles of it from behind peoples tv's (attics/garages/etc) that were loving up because of it.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 8, 2011

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Wagonburner posted:

Another neat related gmail thing, it also ignores a + at the end of the username and anything after the +. So if you're pronabater007@gmail.com you receive mail sent to pronabater007+lolbuttz@gmail.com

I don't really know how this is useful, might come in handy if you made up a +something for a craigslist ad to help sort replies or if you sign up for website like netflix you can do pronabater007+netflix@gmail.com as your email address, then you know if you see anything come through with that as the to: you know it was netflix who gave them your address.

Or set it up so any online contests go to abcd+contests@gmail.com, then create a filter to go into a 'Contests' folder, or do the same for Facebook, Twitter, &c.

Subscribe to any mailing lists? How about news/usergroups? Same idea.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

I don't know how well it will work for tracking spam, as this is now a well-known trick and it's easily detectable (and cleaned).
([^+]+)\+?.*(@gmail.com)

e:

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Does any of the correspondence you're getting for him have a physical address or alternate email address for him?

You could try contacting the school, but I really don't think that's going to get you anywhere.

I just called them and spoke to IT. I had them open a ticket. The ticket number was only 4 digits!

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 8, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

actionjackson posted:

I'm moving out of my apartment this month, and the building manager said I was required to have the carpet professionally cleaned (presumably to claim a full refund of my deposit) and to present a receipt for such. I didn't see anything about this mentioned in my lease - is this legal? Doing so would cost at least $70, and I was under the impression the management usually did such a cleaning on their own.

It's important to not that regardless of what your lease says, any state with reasonable consumer protection laws (New York, California), you cannot be charged to clean carpets, or paint walls. They are considered normal wear and tear, and specifically a business expense for the owners, not something a tenant has to (or should have to) pay for.

Landlords put technically 'illegal' clauses in their contracts all the time assuming that people will not challenge them. They are usually right. Having a sister who is a lawyer has many perks. One of them is that she is my go-to person for 'reminding' landlords that cleaning in general, and cleaning carpets and painting walls specifically, are business expenses that cannot legally be withheld from deposits, even if they are specifically labeled as cleaning deposits.

YMMV since you may live in a state which has bad or non-existent consumer protection/tenant protection laws, and you may not have free access to a real lawyer who knows the laws.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I had a similar thing happen to me when my lease expired. A lawyer friend of the family said its extremely common thing for leasing companies to do because they can usually get away with it. In my case it was close to $200 in various cleaning fees not mentioned on the lease. He offered to send them a letter about it on official lawyer office letterhead. The money was immediately refunded to me. FWIW, this was in Las Vegas many years ago.

What he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

kapalama posted:

It's important to not that regardless of what your lease says, any state with reasonable consumer protection laws (New York, California), you cannot be charged to clean carpets, or paint walls. They are considered normal wear and tear, and specifically a business expense for the owners, not something a tenant has to (or should have to) pay for.

This is definitely the case in Alberta, Canada. A landlord can put whatever they want in your tenancy agreement, but that can't override your rights under the law.