Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Leathal posted:

Took another look and confirmed that GPS actually isn't working for me either. Welp. :(

Considering it works in the other half baked ics roms, I'm guessing toast just left it out on accident when he built this one. To be fair, this wasn't supposed to be released beyond irc; I jumped the gun posting it here cause I was excited haha.
Your post has given me hope for ICS on my 3D. I hope it gets the GPS fixed soon, its the only thing that's holding me back from using it on a longer term basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

fuzzi posted:

I'm gonna miss my Evo 3d though... it was a fun phone.

After reflashing my stuff with stock and getting rid of a bunch of the apps I installed, I'm going to have to take back what I said and agree with the good review this thread had for it.

I thought it was android making GBS threads up my Evo 3D but now that it's got a fresh stock flash, everything is faster, more stable, and the battery doesn't. Guess I should have figured that it was the apps I had installed mucking up my phone.

Guppie
Apr 8, 2010

Pokies?
Soiled Meat
So, Sprint supposedly will be launching a phone based on Intel's x86 Medfield CPU (possibly from Samsung). Thus far, most Medfield designs utilize Android 4.0.

Think we'll finally get an ICS option for $40 SERO-P? At least some of the designs announced so far do not support LTE, so it is possible we might see a 3G only handset.

Guppie fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 11, 2012

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Guppie posted:

So, Sprint supposedly will be launching a phone based on Intel's x86 Medfield CPU (possibly from Samsung). Thus far, most Medfield designs utilize Android 4.0.

Think we'll finally get an ICS option for $40 SERO-P? At least some of the designs announced so far do not support LTE, so it is possible we might see a 3G only handset.
nope, the sero 3g loophole is closed for phones released after (last Novemberish?). The iPhone was the first $50 3g, but they started adding Androids soon thereafter.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

WoG posted:

nope, the sero 3g loophole is closed for phones released after (last Novemberish?). The iPhone was the first $50 3g, but they started adding Androids soon thereafter.

This is exactly correct, and I need to add to the OP about how terrible the .marquee ended up being. Seriously , it isn't transform bad, but its pretty bad.

So the only good phone for $40 SERO is the arrive. If you don't want that, pay the extra $10 a month.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm in the market for a new phone. My EVO went facedown onto my driveway today and the screen shattered. It still works, kinda. Tough phone, but not useable long-term at all.

Out of Sprint's current phones, what's the best Android phone?

I'm sure this comes up all the time, but I didn't see any real discussion on this in the last couple pages, and the OP didn't go into much detail.

I hear some good about the Epic Touch, both in the OP and around the internet, but I'm leery of Samsung after some poor experiences with the original Epic.

What about something a little smaller?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If you aren't afraid of some surgery, the glass screen + digitizer probably isn't all that much on Ebay.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm in the market for a new phone. My EVO went facedown onto my driveway today and the screen shattered. It still works, kinda. Tough phone, but not useable long-term at all.

I'm sure this comes up all the time, but I didn't see any real discussion on this in the last couple pages, and the OP didn't go into much detail.

I hear some good about the Epic Touch, both in the OP and around the internet, but I'm leery of Samsung after some poor experiences with the original Epic.

Epic Touch is really nice and has some really stable ICS custom ROMs available. EVO 3D is supposedly nice too and I think it has some nearly complete ICS ROMs. That's about the only good Android choices on Sprint.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

Grab a used Nexus S 4G to hold you over until the Galaxy Nexus releases. It's not a good idea to blow an upgrade subsidy on any WiMAX device with Sprint's LTE network looming.

Alternatively, despite "lol Epic" they're really cheap used (sub-$100 if you look around) and it has a perfect CM9 port.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ConfusedUs posted:

You could hold out for the Galaxy Nexus (which sounds like it'll come out in April), or get the HTC Evo 3D which should get an official upgrade to ICS soon. And I know you said Android Phone, but it wouldn't hurt to demo the iPhone 4S while you're in the Sprint store.

Although, for god's sake, don't buy a phone based on what you can flash it with.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

My Linux Rig posted:

Although, for god's sake, don't buy a phone based on what you can flash it with.
I'd rather buy a phone based on what I can flash right now than based on the "promise" of an official update that might come out.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
When did the Epic Touch come out? That is the highest end new Sprint phone, but it seems to have come out like almost 7 months ago. It seems like Motorola releases a new loving droid every month for verizon

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Grab a used Nexus S 4G to hold you over until the Galaxy Nexus releases. It's not a good idea to blow an upgrade subsidy on any WiMAX device with Sprint's LTE network looming.

Alternatively, despite "lol Epic" they're really cheap used (sub-$100 if you look around) and it has a perfect CM9 port.

On the other hand, isn't it a pretty big assumption for 99% of Sprint users that LTE will be available in their area in the next two years?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

spidoman posted:

On the other hand, isn't it a pretty big assumption for 99% of Sprint users that LTE will be available in their area in the next two years?
Maybe, although the Network Vision plan is to reach "250 million people" by the end of 2013.

But that's the wrong metric for evaluation. LTE just has to match the existing WiMAX footprint, which itself isn't particularly great, both because it hasn't seen significant expansion in well over a year, but also because it's not very useful where it does exist.

In short, if you don't currently live in a Sprint 4G market, there's absolutely no reason not to get the Galaxy Nexus when it comes out. If you do currently live in a Sprint 4G market, then it's a tossup. But those folks should be familiar with the actual availability and usefulness of WiMAX in those markets and it may not be something they'll miss.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Epic Touch is really nice and has some really stable ICS custom ROMs available.

Stable, but not daily drivers yet. Lots of battery issues still.

It's still a drat nice phone and the GB roms are excellent.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

ConfusedUs posted:

I've got an Epic that I am looking to sell. As others have said, its got a pretty awesome CM9 port for it. I am asking $125, but included is the OEM vehicle navigation mount and car charger.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

oxbrain posted:

Stable, but not daily drivers yet. Lots of battery issues still.

It's still a drat nice phone and the GB roms are excellent.

I've been running Calkulin's ICS ROM since FB27 (a little over a week i guess) and I've only had the battery act strange a couple times. This morning when I took the phone off the charger it was very warm and dropped to 91% in about 20 minutes but a reboot fixed it. Seems to be about as stable as gingerbread ever was.

edit: Unfortunately I do still occasionally get the Sleep of Death where the screen goes black and won't wake but the phone gets warm. It's not often but it's a concern. I guess for some it's not daily driver material.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 12, 2012

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I was very excited about Sprint getting a GalNex, but getting it 6 months after the fact is completely killing my excitement for it. It would really be nice if Sprint got a flagship phone that was actually a current flagship, and not a flagship from 6 months prior [or arguably in this case, even older than that, since the hardware isn't substantially different from the SGSII]

Will Sprint get the dual core Krait HTC phone with 4"+ screen?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

For the record, the Evo is the easiest phone the repair ever. Even I can do it. At least goofed search and see how much a touchscreen package is, what's nice is the part should come touchscreen and digitizer in one if you order it correctly. You could harvest the screen from one with a bad ESN as well for another cheap opting. Just always remove the sd card before cracking open the phone.

Option B: buy a used nexus s or Evo 3D.

tijag posted:

I was very excited about Sprint getting a GalNex, but getting it 6 months after the fact is completely killing my excitement for it. It would really be nice if Sprint got a flagship phone that was actually a current flagship, and not a flagship from 6 months prior [or arguably in this case, even older than that, since the hardware isn't substantially different from the SGSII]

Will Sprint get the dual core Krait HTC phone with 4"+ screen?

No idea, Sprint has been really good at keeping plans under wraps. Traditionally a flagship phone gets released every June (Samsung instinct, palm pre, HTC Evo, HTC Evo 3D).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 12, 2012

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Duckman2008 posted:

For the record, the Evo is the easiest phone the repair ever. Even I can do it. At least goofed search and see how much a touchscreen package is, what's nice is the part should come touchscreen and digitizer in one if you order it correctly. You could harvest the screen from one with a bad ESN as well for another cheap opting. Just always remove the sd card before cracking open the phone.
Don't all Sprint android phones require insurance now? Why would he take it upon himself to repair it if he could just take it back to Sprint and have them repair it.

If getting it repaired on warranty or insurance is seriously an option, don't repair it yourself. Just take it back to Sprint.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

My Linux Rig posted:

Don't all Sprint android phones require insurance now? Why would he take it upon himself to repair it if he could just take it back to Sprint and have them repair it.

If getting it repaired on warranty or insurance is seriously an option, don't repair it yourself. Just take it back to Sprint.

If he shattered the screen it isn't coveted under anything but the $100 deductible if he has insurance. And since he didn't opt for that I'm assuming he didn't have it. Basic screen repairs would be done sans insurance for a $36 fee. Sprint stores used to be fairly flexible on swapping screens either way, but sprint has cracked down and now charges the store back. So if you find a store willing to take the risk awesome, but I wouldn't bet on it

And insurance is never required.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Duckman2008 posted:

If he shattered the screen it isn't coveted under anything but the $100 deductible if he has insurance. And since he didn't opt for that I'm assuming he didn't have it. Basic screen repairs would be done sans insurance for a $36 fee. Sprint stores used to be fairly flexible on swapping screens either way, but sprint has cracked down and now charges the store back. So if you find a store willing to take the risk awesome, but I wouldn't bet on it

And insurance is never required.
Oh, well that kind of sucks. I would still say upgrading is a better option than trying to repair it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

My Linux Rig posted:

Oh, well that kind of sucks. I would still say upgrading is a better option than trying to repair it.

Depends on what he wants to do. And if someone wants an iPhone, upgrading is a great idea. If have good WiMAX coverage, sure upgrade. But upgrading otherwise is kind of a bummer with a new stock android phone with more future proof radio bands about 3 months away. For people on these forums that tend to obsess over this stuff anyway.

And honestly, I'm not exaggerating, the Evo is stupid easy to repair.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Duckman2008 posted:

I wouldn't recommend this; even if a consumer electronic is easier than other electronics to repair, if you don't know what you're doing, you could easily waste time and money and still have a broken phone.

These aren't desktop computers or cars. They're very compact electronics that aren't expected to be user serviceable. I definitely would not recommend repairing it yourself unless you absolutely know what you're doing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Duckman2008 posted:

Depends on what he wants to do. And if someone wants an iPhone, upgrading is a great idea. If have good WiMAX coverage, sure upgrade. But upgrading otherwise is kind of a bummer with a new stock android phone with more future proof radio bands about 3 months away. For people on these forums that tend to obsess over this stuff anyway.

Thanks for the help. I had no idea the phone was so easy to repair.

I think I'm going to switch over to the iPhone, though. I've been considering it for some time, and my research of the last couple days has cemented the decision. One of the biggest factors is the sheer size of the EVO made me prone to dropping it. And since it often wouldn't fit comfortably in my pockets, I carried it a lot.

This wasn't the first time I'd dropped the giant-rear end EVO. Hell, it's not even the tenth time I've dropped it. Once I walked out my front door and got a face full of giant spider at 4am. In my completely un-manly panic I slammed the phone face-down onto concrete hard enough to send the battery flying ten feet away. The back plate never quite fit right again, but the phone and glass were fine.

I loved the giant screen but I think I'm going to go with something I can keep in my pocket.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Thanks for the help. I had no idea the phone was so easy to repair.

I think I'm going to switch over to the iPhone, though. I've been considering it for some time, and my research of the last couple days has cemented the decision. One of the biggest factors is the sheer size of the EVO made me prone to dropping it. And since it often wouldn't fit comfortably in my pockets, I carried it a lot.

This wasn't the first time I'd dropped the giant-rear end EVO. Hell, it's not even the tenth time I've dropped it. Once I walked out my front door and got a face full of giant spider at 4am. In my completely un-manly panic I slammed the phone face-down onto concrete hard enough to send the battery flying ten feet away. The back plate never quite fit right again, but the phone and glass were fine.

I loved the giant screen but I think I'm going to go with something I can keep in my pocket.

That solves the problem then! Your evo is worth about $40 to sprint as a broken buyback, possibly more online if you can find a buyer. Just fyi.

When you get the new phone I need to rechallenge you in word feud, I haven't had a complete rear end kicking in a while.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Is there a known issue with the WiMax on the Photon? I'm getting 3-6Mb/s down, while a coworker (within 20 feet) is pulling 9Mb/s down on his SGSIIET4G.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've been running Calkulin's ICS ROM since FB27 (a little over a week i guess) and I've only had the battery act strange a couple times. This morning when I took the phone off the charger it was very warm and dropped to 91% in about 20 minutes but a reboot fixed it. Seems to be about as stable as gingerbread ever was.

edit: Unfortunately I do still occasionally get the Sleep of Death where the screen goes black and won't wake but the phone gets warm. It's not often but it's a concern. I guess for some it's not daily driver material.

That behavior wrecks your battery. Of course it's easy to buy a replacement, but it definitely wrecks batteries doing that.

ConfusedUs posted:

Definitely get a case, though. The iPhone's body is glass front and back and unless it was the largeness of the EVO solely causing so many drops I would tell you that an otterbox should be your first investment. Other than that it's the phone to beat as long as you don't mind Apple.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 13, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The Entire Universe posted:

Definitely get a case, though. The iPhone's body is glass front and back and unless it was the largeness of the EVO solely causing so many drops I would tell you that an otterbox should be your first investment. Other than that it's the phone to beat as long as you don't mind Apple.

If his complaint was that his EVO wouldn't fit comfortably in his pocket, I can't imagine an Otterbox on an iPhone would be much better. My wife has one and it is disgustingly huge.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If his complaint was that his EVO wouldn't fit comfortably in his pocket, I can't imagine an Otterbox on an iPhone would be much better. My wife has one and it is disgustingly huge.

I'll find some sort of case....or go naked with applecare. Haven't decided yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

I'll find some sort of case....or go naked with applecare. Haven't decided yet.

Warning: apple care has a two use limit. Otherwise it's not bad. It's worth noting square trade has the same pricing but a 4 use limit.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I dropped my EVO at least 30 times (it broke twice), but I haven't dropped my iPhone once (had it since launch in October). I think it is because of the glass back (and how the iPhones hold their value more than any other phone) I just handle it different than I did with my EVO.

Also please do not buy a Otterbox unless you work construction or something. The iPhone is a beautiful phone that people ruin with a Otterbox. I have a thin clear case on mine right now with no screen protector (I never have and never will I put a screen protector on a phone). That said I do have Applecare+.

I still love Android and the iPhone 4S was my first Apple product. At one time I was so anti-Apple I had 3 Zunes, but now I think I am switching all 5 of my lines to iPhones by the end of the year. Now that I have 2 Apple TVs, a iPad 2, and several Air Play devices I am committing to their eco-system. The lack of a true Android eco-system and the limited accessories is what I was missing with Android. Hard to explain but my phone is now so much than a phone.

Edit: VVVV I am surprised you can understand that since I mangled it so bad. Posting at work real fast is so not a good idea.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 13, 2012

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

nate fisher posted:

(I will never have I and never will I put a screen protector on a phone)

I used to be of this same frame of mind, until I found Boxwave screen protectors. Cant tell its even on the phone once its installed properly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nate fisher posted:

I dropped my EVO at least 30 times (it broke twice), but I haven't dropped my iPhone once (had it since launch in October). I think it is because of the glass back (and how the iPhones hold their value more than any other phone) I just handle it different than I did with my EVO.

Also please do not buy a Otterbox unless you work construction or something. The iPhone is a beautiful phone that people ruin with a Otterbox. I have a thin clear case on mine right now with no screen protector (I never have and never will I put a screen protector on a phone). That said I do have Applecare+.

How many times did you hurl your EVO at the ground because of spiders on your front door?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

nate fisher posted:

(I never have and never will I put a screen protector on a phone)

Thanks to a lazy TSA agent who dropped keys on my phone in the same bin, I have a nice scratch across the screen of my Evo 3D. My next phone I'll probably throw one on there just in case. Prior to the 3D I had the original Evo for a couple years without a screen protector and couldn't ever manage to scratch it. That thing was built like a tank.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Prior to the 3D I had the original Evo for a couple years without a screen protector and couldn't ever manage to scratch it. That thing was built like a tank.

I know. I don't know how many times I dropped it hard enough to pop the back cover off. Always face down. It had a small scratch in the upper left.

Tough phone. drat tough. I really didn't think I'd ever break it, until I heard that brittle snapping sound a few days ago.

I ordered my iPhone 4s from Telesales just now. I tried buying one at a few local Sprint stores but they all said they couldn't help with my EPRP account.

"Call TeleSales," they would say.

I'd look at my shattered phone and weep.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ConfusedUs posted:

I know. I don't know how many times I dropped it hard enough to pop the back cover off. Always face down. It had a small scratch in the upper left.

Tough phone. drat tough. I really didn't think I'd ever break it, until I heard that brittle snapping sound a few days ago.

I ordered my iPhone 4s from Telesales just now. I tried buying one at a few local Sprint stores but they all said they couldn't help with my EPRP account.

"Call TeleSales," they would say.

I'd look at my shattered phone and weep.

The EVO was one hell of a tough phone. Warning the iPhone is great but it is the opposite of tough. As I said in the iPhone thread if I could have them change one thing for the iPhone 5 it would to be to make it tougher.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

nate fisher posted:

Over Christmas my sister was bitching about Android and I told her she should just get an iPhone. She said they're too big. I was confused so I showed her mine and she was shocked how thin it was. So many people use big ugly cases she just thought iPhones were huge. :|

Also I do the same thing, I have a super thin case that just basically keeps the camera lens from getting scratched sliding around on a desk. I have Applecare+ also, but probably wouldn't get it again. And finally, gently caress screen protectors.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

ddogflex posted:

Also I do the same thing, I have a super thin case that just basically keeps the camera lens from getting scratched sliding around on a desk. I have Applecare+ also, but probably wouldn't get it again. And finally, gently caress screen protectors.

That's the main reason I use a case. Though I switched from a cheap TPU case to a Casemate Tough since TPU tends to be slippery. I just exercise caution so I don't have to use a screen protector like not putting my E4GT on the same pocket as my keys or my change. Weird thing is that I tend to be more careless with my phone than I did my DS Lite or other devices. I guess switching phones every 1-2 years changes things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nate fisher posted:

The iPhone is a beautiful phone that people ruin with a Otterbox.
It's a ridiculous case for sure, but a shattered iPhone is a shattered dream, and there's some folks out there that, for whatever reason, really do best with an Otterbox.

I just don't get that Apple-logo-sized hole in the back. Seems like a gaping flaw for what otherwise should be a solid case. Unless the case itself is more about marketing and aesthetic than actual protection, in which case it's hilarious.