Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

dik-dik posted:

I'm probably going to get my SPA card revoked for saying this but I think a lot of people just get mad whenever they perceive someone else to be spending a lot more money or caring a lot more about something than them. I get a similar reaction when people find out how much I spent on a pair of shoes or a watch or when I use a fountain pen (even if it's one that cost $3). When you live in a culture where people primarily define themselves by what they purchase, a lot of people get their egos bruised when they perceive that you've bought something better than them.

Also in general the only people I've seen with "espresso" machines at home are really wealthy people (I don't know anyone in the US other than myself who owns an espresso machine and doesn't also own a boat), so when you say "i have an espresso machine" I think a lot of people assume you've spent $2000 on some garbage superauto.
That's timely because just yesterday I had a (surprisingly) pleasant chat with a Comcast support rep about his shoe collection; his most expensive pair he paid $500 for but would consider paying as much as $1000 if they were really rare/special, yet he thought it was crazy to spend that much on an espresso machine. Some people are happy with the earbuds that came with their iPhone and some people need $500 Sennheisers to really enjoy their music. There isn't any one "right" way to enjoy something, and anyone that tries to convince you otherwise is compensating for something. That $2000 "garbage superauto" is the right machine for hundreds of thousands of people and they sell like hotcakes for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

If your posting in the coffee/shoe/"insert hobby here" you have first world problems so be happy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

porktree posted:

Ha, how does it feel to be so wrong on the internet. Best edict I've read today. Aaaa++++

I don't think I'm wrong. It's just my opinion that it's not worth having an espresso machine at home. But honestly the thing I hate most is that it takes up a huge amount of space. My setup isn't even that crazy. It's a simple Baratza Preciso and Gaggia Classic with no mods. There's also a huge loving mess that I have to cleanup and I hate that. People with large kitchens might not mind though. If Nespresso ever makes an espresso machine that doesn't taste like crap I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Also, I think cold brew sucks.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 9, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think I'm wrong. It's just my opinion that it's not worth having an espresso machine at home. But honestly the thing I hate most is that it takes up a huge amount of space. My setup isn't even that crazy. It's a simple Baratza Preciso and Gaggia Classic with no mods. There's also a huge loving mess that I have to cleanup and I hate that. People with large kitchens might not mind though. If Nespresso ever makes an espresso machine that doesn't taste like crap I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I can see people not wanting to use up the space in an apartment or something. My last house had a space with a "desk" area that was largely unused counter space so my machine and grinder went in that area. In my new house, our kitchen is much bigger and there was a niche that I specifically built a beer and coffee bar out of. So one wall of our kitchen is a kegerator and my espresso setup. I definitely get my money's worth out of mine, but for me, most of my coffee gear is more justifiable by ease of getting good coffee than it is on cost, though I can easily justify the cost. The two good coffee shops in my city are both 30 minutes away and the one I like better has about $4 in tolls on the drive. If you include gas and tolls driving there to get a latte would cost me over $10. I probably use mine 3-4x per week and then do pourover/vacpot/areopress the rest of the time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There are coffee shops out the rear end in this city so that might be part of the reason.

e: cold brew is terrible

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 9, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

There are coffee shops out the rear end in this city so that might be part of the reason.

Yeah, that would definitely lower my want for one, but we only have two worth going to in Orlando and they're both less than 2 years old. I bought my first machine 7 years ago. Before two years ago there were a few shops that people recommended but I was entirely underwhelmed by all of them.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Mu Zeta posted:

Well at least you are right about one thing. :smug:

I'm just gonna sit here and enjoy this double I pulled and ponder putting my Sylvia and Rocky and Behmore on craigslist now that I know it's not worth it. :wink:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So is there much difference between a Clever Coffee Dripper and a v60 in terms of finished product?
Besides generic "coffee" at the end I mean
Is it one you control water flow and what have you, other one you find the happy temperature and time with the beans?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So is there much difference between a Clever Coffee Dripper and a v60 in terms of finished product?
Besides generic "coffee" at the end I mean
Is it one you control water flow and what have you, other one you find the happy temperature and time with the beans?

Outside of the fact that they're both filtered coffees, they are completely different brewing methods. The Clever Coffee Dripper is more akin to french press in terms of method than it is to a drip brewer. It's just being filtered more because of the filter media being a finer paper compared to the mesh screen of a french press. It's an immersion brewer meaning that the water is in contact with the coffee the entire time of the brewing process. The V60 is a drip brewer so it's just a more controllable/manual version of a drip machine. The water goes right through the coffee and the speed is only controlled by your grind. Really their only similarities are filter type and they both sit on top of your vessel.

Both can make very good coffee, it's just a matter of preference really. I tend to prefer the V60, but it takes more work to get it right.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

rockcity posted:

Outside of the fact that they're both filtered coffees, they are completely different brewing methods. The Clever Coffee Dripper is more akin to french press in terms of method than it is to a drip brewer. It's just being filtered more because of the filter media being a finer paper compared to the mesh screen of a french press. It's an immersion brewer meaning that the water is in contact with the coffee the entire time of the brewing process. The V60 is a drip brewer so it's just a more controllable/manual version of a drip machine. The water goes right through the coffee and the speed is only controlled by your grind. Really their only similarities are filter type and they both sit on top of your vessel.

Both can make very good coffee, it's just a matter of preference really. I tend to prefer the V60, but it takes more work to get it right.

And I have a clever coffee dripper. It is like a French press, just one you sit on your mug. You really need a good control over the water temp, and need to have a good grinder for your coffee to get the absolute best you can out of it. You can still make a good cup without either, though!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm interested in trying some home pulled/self taught espresso. Everyone I know with a home machine either has a super auto or is/was a serious professional. Honest curiosity about what it tastes like and what sort of goals were in mind behind it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

CCD has worked out perfect for me when I want to make a cup before work. It takes ~6 minutes total, and 4 minutes are spent waiting for the coffee to brew.

Cold brew is nice because I make my girlfriend a batch of whatever flavored beans she wants to try and it makes her happy for 5-6 days with minimal effort on my side.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

The CCD and other immersion brewers with stoppers have become my go to. I've completely stopped using a french press because of them. I'm probably at 70/30 CCD to pour over at this point.

I really wish they made a larger capacity Aeropress. If they made one that held around 400 grams of water, I'd probably ditch all the other methods.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If my cup holds 230 grams of liquid, how many grams of Yirgacheffe should I be using in an Aeropress? Do you brew Yirgacheffe different than 3 minutes?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 10, 2015

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I have two, roughly five year old CCDs from before the whole BPA scare and when they redesigned them. Do we know if the old ones contained BPA? I'm not one to usually worry about those things, but I figure that pouring boiling hot water into a plastic vessel and letting it sit for four minutes, every day, is probably the worst case scenario for exposure to chemicals in plastics.

Also, what are folks's thoughts on grind for CCDs? In my experience you can use any grind since you can brew longer if needed (unlike drip) and it's also paper filtered (unlike press). I tend to use the same coarse grind as I use for press, mostly so I don't have to change it, but it also ensures that the CCD drains quickly to avoid brewing too long.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My grid is basically medium (20 on a maestro plus), but I get a pretty wide variety based on the beans.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone used on of these? It looks nice as a Chemed alternative for half the price:

Hario VDD-02B V60 Drip Decanter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00755F9Z4/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's just a V60.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

PRADA SLUT posted:

Anyone used on of these? It looks nice as a Chemed alternative for half the price:

Hario VDD-02B V60 Drip Decanter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00755F9Z4/

I have one. Yea it's just a v60. I like using it though, I like that it's an all in one unit, looks cool too. The pour spout sucks compared to a Chemex but not a deal breaker.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

It's just a V60.

That's why I decided against it. I wanted something to make larger batches of coffee need be and realized this was basically the same as my V60 that I could just put over something larger for free. I did end up getting a Chemex anyway, but that was more because I wanted to really compare the difference.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only difference with the Chemex is in the filters. You can just buy Chemex filters and use it on your V60.

It tastes a lot like paper.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

The only difference with the Chemex is in the filters. You can just buy Chemex filters and use it on your V60.

It tastes a lot like paper.

Yeah, I'd agree. I bought the chemex a while back already. I really only use the chemex occasionally, mostly if I have multiple people over. I rinse the heck out of that filter.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'm still pretty new to quality coffee so maybe I'm missing something - what is the appeal of the super heavy Chemex filters? Wouldn't you want just enough filter to keep mud out of your cup? Admittedly I've never had a cup of Chemex brewed coffee but I would assume the heavy filter would remove more volatiles and delicate flavors than a standard filter.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

internet celebrity posted:

I'm still pretty new to quality coffee so maybe I'm missing something - what is the appeal of the super heavy Chemex filters? Wouldn't you want just enough filter to keep mud out of your cup? Admittedly I've never had a cup of Chemex brewed coffee but I would assume the heavy filter would remove more volatiles and delicate flavors than a standard filter.

As far as I know, it's more that lighter filters will fall through the hole in the chemex whereas the heavier filters support themselves.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow on ordering a grinder to go with my Crossland coffee cc1 espresso machine and just wanting confirmation I'm not getting a crappy grinder where for 20 bucks more x would be better

I'm looking at a Baratza Preciso refurb
Assuming this is better then Capresso Infinity and other models in that range?
I would hope so with the price difference

Would I be better off with a rocky grinder?

Thanks for any responses

Edit reviews seem a touch all over for that model hence why I'm asking here for opinions

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I bought a Rancillo almost exactly a year ago and have used it at least once nearly every day since. It has always performed as expected with my french press as well as the rogues gallery of CCD, Aeropress, and pour-over poo poo that I keep buying and not using.

The feed bowl on the Rocky does have some nooks where a bean or two can get trapped and force you to fish them out or to become a bigger person and not let such trivialities phase you. I opted for the former and tried modifying the bowl to prevent this, but eventually adopted a multi-step method to clear every last bean and jostle out as much hung-up ground coffee as I can with every use.

This takes an extra twenty seconds or so, and suspect most grinders will have similar issues to some degree.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I have a question about roasting set up recommendations. I got into it a few years ago and I'm having a blast with my modified whirly pop and hot plate set up and I don't need anything fancier. My mom is retiring soon though, and I'd like to give her a roasting set up for her to mess with but I she isn't the type to take a power drill to a popcorn popper or tinker endlessly to figure out what temperature the drat thing is at when the thermometer is woefully but consistently inaccurate. I also can't envision her on her porch with a heat gun and a whisk.

Is there a decent <$100 electric set up out there anyone has had good luck with? Bonus points would go to ease of use and cleanliness but I know the latter is probably impossible regardless of what you do. It would be used for smaller roasts for the most part.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
One of those air popcorn poppers you can get at a thrift store? Haven't used one myself but people seem to like them.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I have a question about roasting set up recommendations. I got into it a few years ago and I'm having a blast with my modified whirly pop and hot plate set up and I don't need anything fancier. My mom is retiring soon though, and I'd like to give her a roasting set up for her to mess with but I she isn't the type to take a power drill to a popcorn popper or tinker endlessly to figure out what temperature the drat thing is at when the thermometer is woefully but consistently inaccurate. I also can't envision her on her porch with a heat gun and a whisk.

Is there a decent <$100 electric set up out there anyone has had good luck with? Bonus points would go to ease of use and cleanliness but I know the latter is probably impossible regardless of what you do. It would be used for smaller roasts for the most part.

The Freshroast is probably the closest to thay budget but it's still over it. Nothing really exists in the budget that isn't a pretty manual process.

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness

dhrusis posted:

Interested to hear what everyone else thinks about 'Gesha' varieties...

I had my first gesha over the weekend at La Colombe (the Esmeralda Geisha) and loved it.
(http://www.lacolombe.com/collections/lighter/products/panama-esmeralda-boquete)
It's flavorful, light and unique. My partner, who doesn't drink much coffee, said it reminded him of tea, which I can see with the profile. We could really taste the orange and lemongrass.
I don't know why there's a steep price difference between the Esmeralda and their other Geishas, so if anyone knows, I'd appreciate the knowledge.
*EDIT: it's because the Jaramillo is the first "geisha" variety from that farm and the Esmeralda must be the red headed stepchild.

It still doesn't beat my absolute favorite of all time - Juan Peņa Imperial Reserve from La Papaya (roasted by Spyhouse)

polarbear_terrorist fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 13, 2015

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Just picked up http://waterforcoffeebook.com, which is a great read about how different sources of water can alter the last of your coffee.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

rockcity posted:

The Freshroast is probably the closest to thay budget but it's still over it. Nothing really exists in the budget that isn't a pretty manual process.

Thanks, it looks like they have options that are pretty close to my price range. I'll look into them a bit more.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is it safe to put improperly ground coffee (too coarse) through a burr grinder to achieve the correct size?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I don't think anyone would recommend regrinding coffee, but if you try a small batch for a cup or so and find you're okay with the result, who's gonna give a gently caress. You might end up with some compromised quality and excess dust, and maybe not something suitable for espresso or french press (which doesn't sound like an issue) but fine for a pour over or drip.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Obligatory Toast posted:

I don't think anyone would recommend regrinding coffee, but if you try a small batch for a cup or so and find you're okay with the result, who's gonna give a gently caress. You might end up with some compromised quality and excess dust, and maybe not something suitable for espresso or french press (which doesn't sound like an issue) but fine for a pour over or drip.

I was mostly concerned with the grinder. I read some stuff online that it can damage it.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I was mostly concerned with the grinder. I read some stuff online that it can damage it.

I think it's just going to clog the burrs, so as long as you can get in and clean them afterwords it may not be such an issue. I can't imagine you'd get very good results though,

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I see no reason putting course ground beans into a burr grinder would harm or clog it; the beans get ground in stages as they travel towards the bottom of the burrs so most of the process is reducing coarse grounds down to fine ones anyway. You should end up with the same quality of grind as if you started with whole beans.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What's the next step up from the behmor these days?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Flattened Spoon posted:

One of those air popcorn poppers you can get at a thrift store? Haven't used one myself but people seem to like them.

I've actually started using one of these after going on a coffee roasting course. It's not the most accurate, and I can't cool the beans quickly like you can with an industrial roaster. But if you can understand how long it'll take you to cool down you can predict how much extra roasting will go on while you're trying to cool the beans down.

I'm getting there, the first one was horrendous, the second one I took off too early. I want it for a 4ish roast. So just starting to fleck oil. So i try to take it off just after the second crack, and then try and cool it into the 4.

Ten quid for 1kilo of green beans. I'm going to try speaking to a friend of mine who's a commercial roaster and see if I can buy beans from him for the price that he paid. I can't pay for 60 kilos of beans at a time. They do keep for a year, but I can't use that many beans in a year.

Unless any of you want to buy Goon Roasted beans. Roast level 3-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Google Butt posted:

What's the next step up from the behmor these days?

Hottop?