Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm making a domlette for my boy's dinner. (His mother makes momlettes). After he's been put to bed I will make a loaf of bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Did a plated lunch for 200 with only 2 people, 120 covers in the restaurant, prepped ~~*-SUPER VEE EYE PEE-*~~ salad bar for 20 tomorrow. And it has a loving carving station for tuna loin and tenderloin. Such a waste of time and effort.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Did a plated lunch for 200 with only 2 people, 120 covers in the restaurant, prepped ~~*-SUPER VEE EYE PEE-*~~ salad bar for 20 tomorrow. And it has a loving carving station for tuna loin and tenderloin. Such a waste of time and effort.

Tenderloin? I think you mean /*- CHATEAUBRIAND -*\

(Ps that will be $250 more)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

I'm making a domlette for my boy's dinner. (His mother makes momlettes). After he's been put to bed I will make a loaf of bread.

What's a domlette? :downs:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

The father equivalent of a momlette!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Such a waste of time and effort.

Not for the catering manager charging gently caress-you/person... :-)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

The father equivalent of a momlette!

Downs smilie was quite accurate!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

Downs smilie was quite accurate!

It was indeed - he guzzled it, as he does most food. Feeding a child who enjoys eating is such a pleasure.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

Not for the catering manager charging gently caress-you/person... :-)

This is an in-house charge because the group is part of our hotel alliance. It's just rear end-kissing on the part of our GM, really. But the price is $48 per, and $300 per hour for our exec chef to carve for them.

And I really loving hope our catering manager doesn't get the bright idea to put this menu into the regular rotation, chef might literally murder her.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Doh004 posted:

I'm pretty happy that it wasn't some sort of weird dominatrix omelette since "my boy" could have gone either way.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'm pretty happy that it wasn't some sort of weird dominatrix omelette since "my boy" could have gone either way.

That's where my mind went initially. Thought it was dome + omlette.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

No comment.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I feel I have to contribute here, but I got nothin. ;-*

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
Is this the right place to talk about this?

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/04/04/us-usa-meat-names-idINBRE93312620130404

BBQ fans, brace yourselves: "Pork butt" will soon be a thing of the past.

In an effort to boost sales just ahead of the U.S. grilling season, and make shopping at the meat counter a bit easier, the pork and beef industries are retooling more than 350 names of meat cuts to give them more sizzle and consumer appeal.

The revised nomenclature emerged after two years of consumer research, which found that the labels on packages of fresh cuts of pork and beef are confusing to shoppers, said Patrick Fleming, director of retail marketing for trade group National Pork Board.

A stroll down the meat aisle had become baffling for shoppers looking for a steak. When they would see packages of "butler steak" or "beef shoulder top blade steak, boneless, flat iron" - they would walk away with an empty cart, said Trevor Amen, director of market intelligence for the Beef Checkoff Program.

So recently, the National Pork Board and the Beef Checkoff Program, with the blessing of officials with USDA, got the nod to update the Uniform Retail Meat Identification Standards, or URMIS. Though the URMIS system is voluntary, a majority of U.S. food retailers use it.

So pork and beef industry officials say they hope the new names will show up in stores nationwide by this summer's grilling season.

If it does, the lowly "pork chop" will be gone. Instead, grocery retailers could be stocking stacks of "porterhouse chops," "ribeye chops" and "New York chops." The pork butt - which actually comes from shoulder meat - will be called a Boston roast.

"One of our biggest challenges has been the general belief among consumers that a pork chop is a pork chop," said Fleming. "But not all pork chops are equal, and not all pork chops are priced equally."

So much for pork being known as the other white meat--a label the pork industry used for years to lure consumers away from chicken.

In the beef aisle, a boneless shoulder top blade steak will become a flatiron steak, a beef under blade boneless steak will become a Denver Steak. Not all names in the meat counter will change - ground beef will still be ground beef

The new retail names will also come with new labels for retail packages, which will tell consumers what part of the animal's body the cut comes from, as well as include suggested cooking instructions.

This marketing move comes at a challenging time for the nation's livestock sector, which has wrestled with historic high grain prices and devastating droughts.

Overseas demand for U.S. meat has cooled as both Russia and China have concerns about possible traces of the feed additive ractopamine, which is used to make meat leaner. That has protein clogging the nation's supply chain and the supply pork and beef in commercial freezers hit a record high for the month of February, according to Agriculture Department data.

Also domestic sales have been slow as the relatively cool spring has quashed consumer interest in breaking out the backyard grill.

While fresh beef and pork cuts have official names that are approved by USDA, compliance with using those naming conventions is voluntary for the industry, said Sam Jones-Ellard, spokesman for USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service.

"There won't be any changes to our naming conventions, but we're supportive of this," Jones-Ellard said. "Anything that simplifies the names of cuts of meat is a good thing for consumers."

At least one section of the meat department will stay the same: A spokesman for the National Chicken Council said Wednesday that no such plans are in place to change the names of chicken cuts. A chicken breast, the official said, will remain a breast.

-------

tl;dr: Gist of the article is that US naming of meats its too confusing for consumers so they are changing the nomenclature for beef and pork cuts.

How are these names any better? How is naming something a "Boston roast" or "Denver steak" less confusing? I do like that the new packaging stickers will indicate where the cut comes from and have suggested preparations but why not only do that and leave the names alone?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I bet it's less about "that's confusing" and more "that's marketable." Pork butt is not as fancy sounding as Boston roast. The pork chop names in particular I'm betting will be accompanied by higher prices. I also like the labeling changes though, I can never remember cuts past tenderloin and ribs and poo poo like that.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

pork butt and boston butt are nearly interchangeable, tbh. Calling a flat iron a Denver steak is just dumb though. Flat iron's flat iron. Let's go ahead and rename porterhouses "bi-steaks"!

Pork needs some reclassification, but don't mess with beef naming.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Why can't they just call pork shoulder... wait for it... pork shoulder?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Doh004 posted:

Why can't they just call pork shoulder... wait for it... pork shoulder?

That's what I always called it. :confused:

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
It makes it sound like there are people out there that randomly buy cuts without at least having an idea what to do with them. Are there people like that?

Maybe if I didn't know what a pork butt was and someone gifted one to me then it might sound off-putting. That's also assuming that the internet didn't exist.

And pork chops are probably what I'll eat for my last meal before being executed and I'm going to demand a pork chop not a pork ribeye steak.

e: \/\/ Yeah, I'd like consistency across the board more than new names.

brick cow fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 5, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Well, when I buy at work it's called pork shoulder. But at the supermarket it's called butt. Everything would be easily solved if actual names for things were enforced, but you have to let corporations market it harder!

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

brick cow posted:

It makes it sound like there are people out there that randomly buy cuts without at least having an idea what to do with them. Are there people like that?

You are greatly overestimating the ability of many people to think beyond "this is on sale, I am buying it and cooking it to eat in some fashion possibly with a microwave."

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

brick cow posted:

if I ever see a cut I don't know what to do with, I usually buy it just to figure it out...

PBlueKan
Jul 12, 2011

mindphlux posted:

if I ever see a cut I don't know what to do with, I usually buy it just to figure it out...

I usually do this as well. The only really bad result I have ever had was trying to cook cube steak like steak.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

PBlueKan posted:

I usually do this as well. The only really bad result I have ever had was trying to cook cube steak like steak.

yeah seriously. beef is the one thing I've actually had trouble with. there are cuts that just aren't that tasty I think - or you have to pound them out or something to make them decent.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Joining the club with beef. Most of my info is from US forums/sites/recipes, and often they have different names in AU so I don't often know what I'm getting. Pork is almost as bad.
I normally leave the shop with chicken as I know what a chicken breast, leg, thigh and wing is, why does beef pork or lamb have to have such stupid names that aren't descriptive and vary form region/country to region/country.
The new proposed names are just as dumb though, butt should just be called pork shoulder. In 3 years I've go to know what a denver cut is and describe it to my local butcher? Not that I know what the gently caress a 'flat iron' is called here, because I've never seen one anyway. Maybe one day I'll buy one under a different name and not know what the hell it is if I come across that cut anyway.
All I know is chuck, shank, flank, skirt, sirloin and round.
Yeah, I'm going to stick with chicken...

Down here we have 'gravy beef', 'oyster blade steak' edit; and 'topside', and stuff I've never seen elsewhere from US sites/forums/recipes. I can google it all but that still won't put it into a US recipe, just give me a vague idea.
Why not have a more descriptive name for everything in the first place so I don't have to shop with a smartphone or lots of money in my pocket, but I can instantly recognise what is from where and how to cook it?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 5, 2013

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
In my current situation I am not the person who buys foodstuffs but I am the one who cooks. Meat comes home, gets vac-packed, tossed in the freezer and I see it a month later. Most of the time the only labeling is the date it was bought. I can recognize the obvious cuts like pork chops, pork loin, ribeyes, etc. The others I cook according to fat content and uncooked firmness/suppleness. Low fat & supple means fast and high. High fat and firm is slow and low. Of course there are exceptions but I haven't found many.

The article says there are 350 different cuts of meat, I feel like changing even half of those is going to confuse people a hell of a lot more than keeping the current names. It'll make shopping harder if a consumer wants a specific cut they have grandma's classic recipe for. And I think the Boston/Denver/London/place new names and old are just plain dumb.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I was about to ask if they were confusing me with you.

Doh004 posted:

That's where my mind went initially. Thought it was dome + omlette.
That's why I explained what a momlette was, you filthy perverts.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Watched the new Hannibal series premiere tonight, it was great. Hannibal Lecter makes his own sausage.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 5, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When I moved to SoCal 17 years ago, I had never heard of "tri-tip", and it was the most popular backyard grilling cut there.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Don't take meat from strangers.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You didn't have tritips before? Shameful.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You didn't have tritips before? Shameful.

It's not a popular cut in the Midwest or east coast in my experience.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, that was my point: the regional differences aren't just nomenclature, some cuts are more popular in different regions.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

We don't live that close. The family and I were in town for some R&R and he invited us over. His gay butter was fabulous. Our kids played together like old friends. We drank. Was such a wonderful evening that on the ride back to the hotel the wife was lamenting that they don't live closer.

Aww.:allears:

Now Croat, Mainwife and FGR have all been to my house and lived to tell the tale. Certainly nothing bad will happen to the next goon that visits me! :drac:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I thought for some reason you guys lived down the street from each other? My memory for internet people is hazy however.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

I was about to ask if they were confusing me with you.

That's why I explained what a momlette was, you filthy perverts.

Following your naming convention a dad omelette would be a dadlette GEEZ.

mom omlette -> momlette
dom omlette -> domlette
dad omlette -> dadlette

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 5, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

FishBulb posted:

It's not a popular cut in the Midwest or east coast in my experience.

Good food isn't always popular in the Midwest or east coast either. :chord:

Anyway tritips are the bees knees for backyard grilling with beer and tortillas etc. It's the taste of summertime.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Yesterday I got great dome and ate smoked pork neck and illegal charcuterie.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Maybe I just read it as dome + omlette because holy poo poo that sounds like a winning combination for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Squashy Nipples posted:

When I moved to SoCal 17 years ago, I had never heard of "tri-tip", and it was the most popular backyard grilling cut there.

Yeah when I flew out to Nevada for my wedding, tri tip was served at the rehearsal dinner. I was very confused