Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Xpro 2 uses a very common sensor. I use an X-H1—same sensor and similar guts. Coming from the 5D mkiii, you won’t lose much at all beyond shallower depth of field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My bargain hunting has paid off again with a near mint auto-bellows and accessory kit with original manuals for almost everything.

Also rad hand written notes. Looks like I'm going to start shooting a lot of macro.

e: I love this thing, it's so goofy

Megabound fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 12, 2019

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Nice! I found a Minolta Bellows III on ebay for cheap a few weeks ago, but snagging an Autobellows is even cooler. Since getting mine, I've taken to DSLR scanning 35mm negatives using my 135 f/2.8 with my Canon 7D adapted to the bellows. Works very well.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
The "my first DSLR" thread is closed so I'll ask this here.

I want to scan a lot of old 35mm slides (family photos). I have never owned a DSLR before but after many weeks of research I believe I can pull this off with a macro lens and an old slide projector (with the projection lens removed and the light adapted to be a softer backlight). I may also have to DIY some kind of light absorbing tube to prevent stray reflections but strictly speaking I don't need a slide copier adapter, extension tubes, bellows, etc. Just a macro lens with a focal length long enough that I don't have to physically stick the camera inside the slide projector (I'm thinking 100mm or greater just to be safe?). Assuming I mount everything securely and have a way to adjust the position of the camera it should work really well. I will have to adjust the white balance for each batch of slides.

Does this sound about right? I am willing to spend a lot of time futzing with this setup because it will still probably be faster and more fun than using a flatbed scanner. I also like the idea of ending up with a DSLR + macro lens I can use for whatever.

I'm just a bit scared to drop several hundred dollars on KEH without really knowing what I'm getting into. I'm considering getting a Pentax K-30 and the "PENTAX 100MM F/2.8 SMC D FA MACRO WR K MOUNT AUTOFOCUS LENS".

Thoughts? I appreciate your advice.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The lighting is the most important part. You could get good results from a cell phone instead of a dslr if you have everything bright and evenly lit, and flat and no reflections.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sneeze Party posted:

It sounds like it's a lot of fun to use. Do you exclusively use Fuji lenses on it, or do you have any adapters? I've got a couple of M-Mount lenses that I'd like to use with it, and I'm confused about whether or not the OVF will work with non-Fuji lenses.

How well does it achieve focus? Do you do much manual focusing with it? That's mostly why I'm interested in the OVF. That kind of camera, manual focus is fun -- at least with a traditional rangefinder.

How does the image quality, in your view, compare to your DSLR setup? I'd be coming from a Canon 5D Mark III (not that I'd get rid of it).

I only use Fuji lenses on it, my work cameras are Nikon DLSLRs, so there's nothing there for me.

I use the 35 1.4 and the 23mm (I think it's F2?). Both are great, but I find the 23mm way more useful for what I want out of it.

Focus is pretty good. It's not tap the shutter and bang on like a DSLR, but totally acceptable. I often use the Optical viewfinder when it's lowlight, because I find the electronic viewfinder is a bit poo poo for that.

Image quality is also pretty good. My main shooter is a pair of D850s, so the resolution is half what I'm used to, but again, it's for snaps, not work - so I don't care that much. It's totally passable for what I want which is small, light and something I can grab without thinking.

I think all around its a great little camera, having dual card slots is really nice, because in a pinch I can throw it in my bag for a work shoot and hand it to an assistant or whatever and get them to take some BTS shots and never think about card corruption.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every time I think about upgrading from my Xpro1 I remember that I love this camera. I primarily use the EVF and the lag can sometimes be a pain, so I guess I’ll see what happens when xpro2 comes down in price.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m flying to Costa Rica next week and taking my A7iii. What are my options for a decent zoom? 70-200 plus maybe an extender. Is it only the Sony gm thing or have sigma and people got in the game? I’m so behind and I don’t really want to drop 2k on glass so hoping there’s other stuff :)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Bape Culture posted:

I’m flying to Costa Rica next week and taking my A7iii. What are my options for a decent zoom? 70-200 plus maybe an extender. Is it only the Sony gm thing or have sigma and people got in the game? I’m so behind and I don’t really want to drop 2k on glass so hoping there’s other stuff :)

You might grab a manual focus zoom on an adapter - I paid a bit too much for an FD 70-200L f/4 late last year because I also needed it on short notice for a trip, but thing performs admirably.

If you want to muck around with EF glass, an EF 70-200 (any of them) plus adapter might be worth looking at.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m stupid as gently caress and sold my 70-200L just last week as I didn’t fancy messing about with adaptors and that.
I just bought the G Master in the end haha. Hopefully it’s an amazing piece of glass.
Man maths got the better of me when it was going to be £300 just to rent it for a couple of weeks.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody know what this is and if it's worth anything?

I don't know anything about cameras, but this thing has been in my house for years and I have no idea what it is or where it came from. It's about the size and weight of a small cantaloupe. This is the only identifying mark. It says "4" and ">PC<." I can't see any other branding. Any ideas are appreciated.

Edit: VVVV I never even considered it might not be camera equipment. I still have no idea where it came from or why I have it, but a projector lens is more plausible.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 27, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those markings identify the type of plastic.

Looks like it's from a spotlight to me, or maybe a projector lens.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that seems far more like something to send light out than gather it in

E: unfortunately it's probably not worth much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best bet is if it has any magnification qualities a DIY type who likes to experiment with making their own lenses might want the glass.

Like there's a surplus store near me that usually has a bin of old poo poo lens assemblies. They charge $30-ish for stuff like that. Individual pieces of glass are like $5.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
This might be a roundabout way of asking this:

Canon makes the speedlight 480 EX series
Yongnu has a knockoff of this called YN-568 EX

What is the Sony equivalent of the 480 EX, and is there a knockoff version of this?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ineptitude posted:

What is the Sony equivalent of the 480 EX, and is there a knockoff version of this?

This sounds like some kind of flash laundering scam.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hi all,

I bought a 15 stop ND filter, and I see a lot of vignetting. Is this normal? I don't see any vignetting without the filter (in-camera vignetting correction is turned on). Everything is screwed on tight, so I don't think it's a light leak from the filter side. Is there a chance that light is leaking through the viewfinder?

OOC jpg:

Lens: 21 mm Loxia @ f/22
Camera: Sony A7R3
Filter: Singh-Ray Mor-slo
Adapter: 52 (lens) to 62 mm (filter) step up ring

Edit: A few minutes on google suggests that this is not caused by light leaking. Instead it has to do with light at the edges traveling at a steeper angle and therefore seeing more attenuation. I'll try to fix it in post.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 31, 2019

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

President Beep posted:

This sounds like some kind of flash laundering scam.

I think this is the strangest reply i have ever gotten on any forum.

What does this mean

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Ineptitude posted:

The sony equivalent is the F43M.

I would suggest looking into the Godox system for an off-brand flash solution.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

I think this is the strangest reply i have ever gotten on any forum.

What does this mean

Lol. Sorry about that. One way I parsed your post was that you were asking about a third party knockoff of a sony knockoff of a canon flash. Should’ve workshopped that “””joke””” a bit more... :sweatdrop:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a voice in my head that's really nagging me to buy a Nikon F3 or F4 when I go to Japan in May.

I'm not going to lie to you, I'm leaning toward the F4 because I've wanted one for ages, but I love the classic simple look of the F3.

I'm already taking my Pentax ME which is probably way more suited to just carry-around photography than either of these, since it literally just has to meter right, be small, and not eat film. But c'mon -- Nikon F4 :swoon:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

President Beep posted:

Lol. Sorry about that. One way I parsed your post was that you were asking about a third party knockoff of a sony knockoff of a canon flash. Should’ve workshopped that “””joke””” a bit more... :sweatdrop:

Nah dude, that joke was dope. My guess is that Ineptitude is a non-native English speaker?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

kefkafloyd posted:

I'd echo this. Grab a Godox TT685S if you want to use AA batteries, or a V860IIS if you want a single rechargeable li-ion. I have three V860IIC flashes (the Canon version) and they own. If you want to use it off camera, buy a Godox XProS or X1S -- the radio receiver is built in to the V860 and TT685.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Probably gonna be traveling more often from now on, and I'd like to do it without lugging my whole laptop with me, since I hardly have time to work on photos while I'm on a trip anyway. Is there a preferred lightweight device/workflow for backing up photos after each day to work on when I get back?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’ve uploaded to my LR catalogue via USB connection to my iphone before. Kind of a hassle, bit it worked.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

404notfound posted:

Probably gonna be traveling more often from now on, and I'd like to do it without lugging my whole laptop with me, since I hardly have time to work on photos while I'm on a trip anyway. Is there a preferred lightweight device/workflow for backing up photos after each day to work on when I get back?

I upload it to my iPad coz iPad Lightroom is pretty good and it syncs it to my adobe cloud so I can get them anywhere and start editing on the iPad :)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

President Beep posted:

I just want a good speedlight for my Sony A9 but i don't want to pay Sony-price for one.

I used the Yongnu 568 on my Canon instead of using a Canon 480 EX-series flash (which costs like 5 times as much) and was happy with that so i would like to do the same thing now with Sony

kefkafloyd posted:

Thanks. This is really expensive which highlights why i want the knockoff version.

I have Godox studio lights (an AD600 PRO and a bunch of crap ones) and am happy with those. I don't mind using a Godox speedlight, i just don't want the AD300

It looks like the Godox V860II is what i want. Or maybe even the AD360II though this one is a bit too big actually.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 1, 2019

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You want the V860II which uses a lithium battery. There's also a AA version, but I've never bought them. The AD360 is not for on-camera use.

If you're in the US, you can buy them from Adorama under their Flashpoint brand.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I was gonna buy it in China since my PILs are there.

Here in Norway anything that is not a camera or a lens is gently caress off expensive and the V860II is about 1/3rd the price in China.
They don't allow shipping of lithium batteries however...

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

dakana posted:

I'd echo this. Grab a Godox TT685S if you want to use AA batteries, or a V860IIS if you want a single rechargeable li-ion. I have three V860IIC flashes (the Canon version) and they own. If you want to use it off camera, buy a Godox XProS or X1S -- the radio receiver is built in to the V860 and TT685.

How is the battery life on the V series BTW? I've been happy with what I've gotten with the batteries on the AD200's but could use something smaller/more flexible in the instances I need them. Plus it would mean no longer feeding AA's to my Yongnuos.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

ReverendHammer posted:

How is the battery life on the V series BTW? I've been happy with what I've gotten with the batteries on the AD200's but could use something smaller/more flexible in the instances I need them. Plus it would mean no longer feeding AA's to my Yongnuos.

I have the 860ii with my a7iii and I love it. The battery life is pretty insane. I rarely shoot full power so it lasts me all day. My last wedding, at the end of the night I think I was still around 75% battery left. I was shocked. Its supposed to have a 600+ full power shot life which is kind of insane. I used to burn through 8-12 AA batteries per wedding.

Plus, the recycle time is impressive. I think its usually a second at full power. The wireless/TTL works really well too. I've quite literally never had an issue with it and can't believe how great they are for the price.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

ReverendHammer posted:

Verman posted:

I have the 860ii with my a7iii and I love it. The battery life is pretty insane. I rarely shoot full power so it lasts me all day. My last wedding, at the end of the night I think I was still around 75% battery left. I was shocked. Its supposed to have a 600+ full power shot life which is kind of insane. I used to burn through 8-12 AA batteries per wedding.

Plus, the recycle time is impressive. I think its usually a second at full power. The wireless/TTL works really well too. I've quite literally never had an issue with it and can't believe how great they are for the price.

Echoing Verman -- I frequently go through a whole 8-10hr wedding with my 3 V860IIs and 1 AD200 without every switching batteries. The V860IIs are most used during the reception, usually below 1/8 power each, with the AD200 usually on full power or close to it for couples portraits, wedding party shots, and formals, with a V860II or 2 coming in for some shots when I need another light source.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dakana posted:

Echoing Verman -- I frequently go through a whole 8-10hr wedding with my 3 V860IIs and 1 AD200 without every switching batteries. The V860IIs are most used during the reception, usually below 1/8 power each, with the AD200 usually on full power or close to it for couples portraits, wedding party shots, and formals, with a V860II or 2 coming in for some shots when I need another light source.

What modifiers do you use?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

torgeaux posted:

For the V860ii, I use a Gary Fong lightsphere which stays on my flash pretty much the entire day.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Verman posted:

dakana posted:

Awesome. I figured it would be pretty close to my real life experience with the AD200s but always good to hear from people who have used them.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Usually an octabox on the AD200 for most of the portraits, with the flashes bare if I'm using them for rim. During the reception, I like grids on my flashes around the dance floor. Sometimes, especially for the first dance and depending on the venue, I'll do the octabox on the AD200 as a key light for softness and bare or gridded flashes for rim. Or, if the venue's such that the octabox spills all over the place, I'll stick to grids.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

When mating non-Sony lenses to a Sony A7 body, does the adapter inhibit the lens in any way? Can I still focus at the minimum focus distance all the way to infinity?

Also, how stupid am I to consider a Leica Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 MkII as a telephoto lens when a used Nikon 180mm f/2.8n AF ED(IF) does not cost much more?

Edit: never mind, I figured it out
Edit2: A local store has a Leica Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 MkII for sale for $450. Leica lenses do not defy the laws of physics, and this particular lens has haze on the back lens, so I did not immediately jump on it. But I did go to the store to see if I could try it out on my camera to see how good the images are. Unfortunately, they did not have an adapter in stock, so I will pass on the lens.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 7, 2019

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Anyone selling a Panasonic GH5? I'm in the market for one.

e- whoops wrong thread

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Thinking about picking up a macro adapter for my Yashica Mat. Will anything made for the Bay 1 mount system work, or does it need to be something specific for that camera? I see lots of used Rolleinar stuff...

President Beep fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

President Beep posted:

Thinking about picking up a macro adapter for my Yashica Mat. Will anything made for the Bay 1 mount system work, or does it need to be something specific for that camera? I see lots of used Rolleinar stuff...

Using a TLR for macro sounds like a painful exercise in frustration. Have you considered what parallax error is going to be like?