Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

please also mention inks such as BERNing Red (because Bernie's a communist) and Bernanke Blue (because the Fed is printing money non-stop and END THE FED) and the catfish spitting on the statehouse on the Baystate Blue label because Nathan believes that it's taxes from the state holding him back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Berning Red owns though

rio
Mar 20, 2008

A few days ago I said I would post writing samples when someone asked if the Nemosine Singularity looked stubby being only a .6mm stub. I got some other pens since so I decided to add them to the writing samples.

I got a Singularity and it wrote really poorly. Very scratchy and it had flow problems. So I told the seller that and he sent me a replacement. I fixed the nib but I think it has feed problems because I still have to twist the converter to get ink - in the writing sample you see how light the ink is and that it gives out part way. The rest of it is after twisting the converter slightly. The replacement writes great and has no issues with the nib or feed - I haven't measured it but it doesn't seem like .6mm. It also writes very wet, which I do like, so am unfortunately not getting much shading with it like I had hoped from a stub.

The third one is an Eco 1.1 stub that I got a few days ago. It feels much better than the Singularity (it feels similar to my Vac 700 in terms of heaviness and just feels really solid). It writes well and I definitely recommend it - it is a solid recommendation for someone getting into pens since it is cheap, feels great and writes great. Huge ink capacity as well which is awesome as a demonstrator holding it up to the light.

The fourth is an Eclipse ring top with a Warranted gold nib. I don't know if you can see in the picture but the nib has been worn down to a right oblique from a lot of use (not from someone reshaping the nib). All of the top material is gone but it writes really well and very wet - it was my first vintage pen (by a couple days) and it really cool being so small. It is just large enough to write unposted but posting it makes it the size of a normal pen. It is a flexes nicely but because of the right oblique I haven't been flexing much with it.

The last one is a Wahl Skyline that arrived yesterday. It had some ink in it when it arrived and I didn't know how much so I decided to just write with it until it ran out, which it did right now and you can see where on the paper. I refilled it and wrote some more to show the flex - it is as thin as a needle and I can see why despite the stiff about Greg Minuskin personally people still deal with him because he obviously knows what he is doing with nibs and does awesome work. It is going to take some getting used to and I can't really use it to its full potential yet. It's a really awesome pen and I'm glad I was able to get it before anyone else did. Reading about other skylines, apparently they are not all wet noodles - some are semi flex - so if you are interested in one try to confirm how flexible the nib is before buying it. They also seem to have a really wide price range so they range from really affordable to on the expensive side depending on their condition and how rare the particular model is. I'm not sure how rare the gold filled cap version is but it was $170 and I don't feel bad having dropped that much because it is a really clean pen for how old it is and will definitely be something I use for the rest of my life when practicing my script.

So now I'm up to 25 pens (29 after the massdrop for the Pilot Parallel set arrives) so I should probably chill out a bit. I do still want to find a good music nib though...and every time I see someone talking about a pen I haven't heard of here I tend to buy on so I guess I'll see how long I can hold out.

One question - any recommendations on a nice purple ink that has good shading?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I think now I'm going to get mad at every writing sample I see that doesn't feature 'hail satan'.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My favorite purples are Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu and J. Herbin's Poussière de Lune. Lune is a very deep and dark near-indigo color so while it has shading it tends to write wet and dark so it's not super obvious. Iroshizuku inks always have good shading, but MS is a more orchid purple.

Heath fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 24, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Heath posted:

My favorite purples are Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu and J. Herbin's Poussière de Lune. Lune is a very deep and dark near-indigo color so while it has shading it tends to write wet and dark so it's not super obvious. Iroshizuku inks always have good shading, but MS is a more orchid purple.

Thanks for the recommendation. I love iroshizuku inks but the Herbin looks closer to a purple I would use more often so I will give that a try.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

neongrey posted:

I think now I'm going to get mad at every writing sample I see that doesn't feature 'hail satan'.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
$170 for a restored Skyline needlepoint flex is pretty good price. He's a turd, but he's a fair pricer. I've seen them go for more at pen shows. Seconding the vote for J. Herbin's Poussière de Lune for violet with great shading. Sailor's Jentle Four Seasons series are generally great for shading as well.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Kessel posted:

please also mention inks such as BERNing Red (because Bernie's a communist) and Bernanke Blue (because the Fed is printing money non-stop and END THE FED) and the catfish spitting on the statehouse on the Baystate Blue label because Nathan believes that it's taxes from the state holding him back

Those seem to be more jokes than paranoia. I'm mean, he seems to be a bit of a weird dude, but he doesn't seem to be a crazy sovcit or anything.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

NeurosisHead posted:

Seconding the vote for J. Herbin's Poussière de Lune for violet with great shading. Sailor's Jentle Four Seasons series are generally great for shading as well.

Yep. A third for PdL -- one of my favorite inks, and has been for years. Sailor Jentle chu-shu is a gorgeous purple-grey that has some nice subtle shading. (It might shade more in a broader nib; the Lamy I have it in is a fairly narrow medium.)

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

taqueso posted:

Those seem to be more jokes than paranoia. I'm mean, he seems to be a bit of a weird dude, but he doesn't seem to be a crazy sovcit or anything.

A little of both, I think.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

rio posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I love iroshizuku inks but the Herbin looks closer to a purple I would use more often so I will give that a try.

It's much easier on the wallet, too. I like it a lot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sailor Jentle Fuji-Musume is a very, well, gentle pastel purple that does a little shading.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there a babbys guide to vintage flex pens anymore? I'd like to get one but I'm not sure what to look for and I'm not sure I'm good enough to refurbish my own

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Except for the stories about him I would recommend mashing refresh at gregminuskin.com. He has a semi flex up now for 70 bucks. I've only read good things about his actual work and expertise so that would be a safe bet getting a vintage flex. My other vintage purchase was from Peyton Pens who also have had good things written about them. I went with both of them since I didn't know anything about vintage pens and wanted some safe bets while dipping my feet into the vintage waters.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been really tempted by some of the pens at Peyton Street Pens and for a while was stalking their site since at the time they had an "affordable flex" section (don't remember what they actually called it and I think they've rearranged categories since then). At the time I was trying to hold back from spending much on any one pen so they were always a little outside my price range though. The lure of being able to buy like half a dozen bottles of ink with the same money was too strong.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

The lure of being able to buy like half a dozen bottles of ink with the same money was too strong.

And then, a year later, you look upon that bottle of Diamine Sherwood Green and wonder exactly what you were thinking.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Solumin posted:

Nathan perfected bulletproof inks so that people can't wash his checks.

I'm so glad I asked! I really am happy with the inks he's made, but I'm kind of hesitant to order bottles--the plastic ones are SO UGLY and it seems like a dice roll for getting plastic or glass.

But yikes. I mean... it's not much extra to get the cheque books that have duplicates, and my bank scans every cheque they process so I can look at what was taken and when. Also, it's 2016 and the only place I use cheques are for rent and family estate issues.

Can anyone give me first-hand reviews of:
Lamy CP1/Logo pens
De Atramentis Jane Austin, Petrol, Mint Turquoise

And can anyone confirm what kind of cartridge to get for a Sedona (Sidona?) kit pen? I gave one to the godkid but he's due a refill and I'm not giving him a bottle unless he's still using it by Christmas.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Pixelante posted:

I'm so glad I asked! I really am happy with the inks he's made, but I'm kind of hesitant to order bottles--the plastic ones are SO UGLY and it seems like a dice roll for getting plastic or glass.

But yikes. I mean... it's not much extra to get the cheque books that have duplicates, and my bank scans every cheque they process so I can look at what was taken and when. Also, it's 2016 and the only place I use cheques are for rent and family estate issues.

For what it's worth, I think the 3.0 oz and 4.5 oz inks from Goulet Pens only come in glass bottles.

<nathan> We'll see who's laughing when the banks get hacked and your checks are washed anyway. </nathan>

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Solumin posted:

<nathan> We'll see who's laughing when the banks get hacked and your checks are washed anyway. </nathan>

Jokes on him, there's hardly any money in my account! :smithicide:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Solumin posted:

For what it's worth, I think the 3.0 oz and 4.5 oz inks from Goulet Pens only come in glass bottles.

This is the internet, if you admit to using checks or paper or anything like that you will eventually be called a nazi or something.

I thought the plastic bottles were a temporary thing from like a year ago. Surely everyone's run out of stock of those by now?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Pixelante posted:

Can anyone give me first-hand reviews of:
Lamy CP1/Logo pens
De Atramentis Jane Austin, Petrol, Mint Turquoise

I've got a Lamy Logo in the anniversary special "Twilight" (purple-brown) color. It's a narrow, lightweight pen -- a little narrower than I usually go for, but it feels nice in the hand, and is comfortable for note-taking. The cap firmly snaps on and is easy to take off. (It can be posted, but I don't; I almost always hold caps in my left hand.) Standard steel Lamy nib and feed holds no surprises. Inked up with Dark Lilac, it's just gorgeous, and I've really enjoyed using it.

I bought De Atramentis Petrol to use in my Platinum 3776 Shoji (sort of an "environmental disaster" theme, there), but 1) it's a lot greener than I thought it would be, and 2) the Shoji just hates it. I've used it successfully in other pens, and other inks in the Shoji. Sometimes a pen/ink pair is just not meant to be. I don't know why I was expecting it to be bluer, but I was. It's not my favorite blue-green, but it is nice. C-- favors De Atramentis inks for TWSBIs because they don't stick to the barrels and slosh quite prettily.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you're worried about getting a plastic Noodler's bottle just order an empty Iroshizuku bottle with it.

Edit: is Dark Lilac still available anywhere?

Heath fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 25, 2016

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Heath posted:

If you're worried about getting a plastic Noodler's bottle just order an empty Iroshizuku bottle with it.

Edit: is Dark Lilac still available anywhere?

Not that I can find.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

taqueso posted:

Nathan Tardiff is a certifiable loving loon. If you doubt this to any extent try watching some of his videos.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've never made it through an entire one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That's why I said "try"

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I feel like the video where he whips out the silver dollar and rambles about mortgages for half a hour should be required watching for all new penpeople.

Also that FPN thread where all the graybeards argue about censorship. Also the Esterbrook revival thread. There were subplots to that that I didn't pick up on until months later, such as the doxing thing.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

My Man Shran posted:

And then, a year later, you look upon that bottle of Diamine Sherwood Green and wonder exactly what you were thinking.

I bought a bottle a while back looking for some sheen. Fortunately the bottle never came and I was refunded. I got a sample later and discovered it wasn't as good as I thought it'd be and performed kind of poorly. Unfortunately I have a lot of bottles of other inks. Three of them I'm somewhat disappointed with but oh well.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Zenostein posted:

This is the internet, you will eventually be called a nazi or something.

Let's be realistic here.

Too bad about Tekker ink. I really wanted to have an ink the same color as a cool car I saw. Also 100mL at that price is really nice.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

My Man Shran posted:

I feel like the video where he whips out the silver dollar and rambles about mortgages for half a hour should be required watching for all new penpeople.

Also that FPN thread where all the graybeards argue about censorship. Also the Esterbrook revival thread. There were subplots to that that I didn't pick up on until months later, such as the doxing thing.

People are doxxing each other on a forum about pens?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If you think the pen community is catty you haven't seen the handbag community

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Heath posted:

People, in general, are horrible.

Except for me, of course. I'm wonderful

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Heath posted:

To be fair, the same turdlord who bought the Conklin brand, made poo poo pens and sold it all to Jaffa was trying to drum up interest in another classic American brand to do it all over again. That's like, medium frustrating at least.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Just bought a Lamy 2000 and... drat, is it supposed to be this thick? I got a medium because I normally like medium to fine pens and this thing just lays down a massive line of ink. I love it otherwise, it looks fantastic and it writes super smooth. But I'm not sure I like the width of these lines. Maybe I should have gotten an extra fine?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Baby Babbeh posted:

Just bought a Lamy 2000 and... drat, is it supposed to be this thick? I got a medium because I normally like medium to fine pens and this thing just lays down a massive line of ink. I love it otherwise, it looks fantastic and it writes super smooth. But I'm not sure I like the width of these lines. Maybe I should have gotten an extra fine?

Are you used to pilots? My Lamy medium writes like other non Japanese mediums but if you are used to a Japanese medium then it will seem a lot thicker.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yes, actually. My other fountain pen is a Pilot Metro fine, which is just a shade too fine for me. I got the Lamy in a medium, I guess foolishly assuming that the sizes were somewhat standard.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Baby Babbeh posted:

the sizes were somewhat standard.

:roflolmao:

Always hit up the Goulet nib nook before you get a nib gauge from a brand you're unfamiliar with. If they've got the brand you're interested in t's an excellent resource for comparing line width.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Well, I'll get to find out if the TWSBI customer service / part replacement really is as good as I've heard, since a 14 year old student just sheared my VAC 700 cap in half today by trying to open it. Which is on the cap quality, not her, because she's not exactly built like Conan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

howe_sam posted:

:roflolmao:

Always hit up the Goulet nib nook before you get a nib gauge from a brand you're unfamiliar with. If they've got the brand you're interested in t's an excellent resource for comparing line width.

It's really frustrating when the nook samples look nearly identical though. TWSBI-everything, I'm looking at you. I've settled into a B nib for both mini and 580. Fine nibs are way better to carry for conferences or professional events, though--scribbling notes on copy-paper handouts or business cards is a hot mess with too much ink. Next time I event, I'll try to remember to clean and fill my pens more than the night before so that I don't look like I was just fingerpainting with ink while trying to look like an employable adult.

I haven't tried Diamine Sherwood yet, but I think it's in my cart on Goulet. I was disappointed by Atramentis Mint Turquoise--I shouldn't have a hard start after pausing in notes for less than 5 seconds. I want a nice evergreen kind of green, leaning more towards blue than yellow. Must shade. Sheen is a bonus.

Kessel posted:

If you think the pen community is catty you haven't seen the handbag community

The nail polish community is hilarious. Nail Goons are great, but at least once a month it seems like there's a massive meltdown in one of the pubbie trading groups. Absolutely everything about this page still kills me. There's always gonna be some drama when you get people together, though. I went to a disability advocacy conference in the summer--and realised halfway through that there was infighting going on with the teenage self-advocates. I don't even play Pokemon Go anymore but the squalling in the local FB group is too funny to quit. The moral is that people are terrible.

I was messing around with Parallels last night and now my white cat has blue paws from walking across my desk. Those desks with roll top lids are starting to look really good.