Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

You don't really cycle a tank, you cycle a filter. As long as the new water is chlorinated the ten minutes it takes you to move it from one box of water to the other should have no adverse affect on the bacterial colonies.

DE-chlorinated!

Adding more plants is a good move too, some fast growing stem plants can help smooth things out. Still probably a good idea to test for ammonia and nitrite until the new tank has settled down but it sounds like you’ve got the right idea anyway. Good luck with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Stoca Zola posted:

DE-chlorinated!

Adding more plants is a good move too, some fast growing stem plants can help smooth things out. Still probably a good idea to test for ammonia and nitrite until the new tank has settled down but it sounds like you’ve got the right idea anyway. Good luck with it!

Thanks - I got Eco-complete in the tank tonight and filled it about 2/3 of the way with plenty of dechlorinator. Tomorrow the new filter, heater, light, etc all comes in. I'd like to get that up and running for a few days before I move them to make sure everything works fine and then I have my kids this weekend so I think it'd be fun to finish off the new tank with them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stoca Zola posted:

DE-chlorinated!

D'oh!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have experience with Excel Carbon in a small (<=29 gallon) tank? After reading about people's troubles with DIY CO2 setups, and being unable to stomach the price of a proper tank + regulator, I've been considering this as an alternative. My light has a PAR rating of 69 at 18".

I'm not looking for a high end carpeted setup or anything, mostly I just need some faster growing plants to help with the algae situation

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 15, 2018

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Does anyone have experience with Excel Carbon in a small (<=29 gallon) tank? After reading about people's troubles with DIY CO2 setups, and being unable to stomach the price of a proper tank + regulator, I've been considering this as an alternative. My light has a PAR rating of 69 at 18".

I'm not looking for a high end carpeted setup or anything, mostly I just need some faster growing plants to help with the algae situation

Holy poo poo I had a huge reply, phone ate it

In short:
Excel can temporarily kill algae but doesn't address why the balance of your tank currently favours algae. Stop dosing excel, algae comes back. Your light seems to be high end of medium so maybe there aren't enough nutrients for your plants. Fast growing stems like rotala and hygrophila (polysperma, corymbosa) will eat excess nutrients or will make it easier to see if you have deficiencies by how their leaves grow in.

Can't hurt to get some excel and try it as long as you don't overdose as it can be harmful to livestock. It will probably kill marimos and vals too, not every plant likes it as it is not the same mechanism for adding carbon as CO2 injection.

Edit to add: it didn't take much googling to come across an opinion that anything over 50 PAR is likely to suffer algae problems without pressurised CO2 injection. Try raising your light higher above your tank to reduce PAR, it's proportional to the inverse square of the distance so you might not even have to raise it that much.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 16, 2018

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I was dosing excel but haven’t had to since my tank leveled out. There doesn’t seem to be a need but it’ll accept a normal amount of other seachem ferts once or twice a week. I’d do co2 but the cost is a hurdle that I can’t be bothered with and that’s with decently easy access to refills through the homebrew shop next to the fish shop.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Stoca Zola posted:

Is this in your 55g or a different tank (oh yeah I see your post from earlier oops) I don't think the spraybar alone is enough to get good circulation due to length of the tank if its the 55 but with the wave maker I can see why you're worried. Without something extra I do think you'll get dead zones where the water doesn't move enough, but you've got enough floaty things in your tank at the moment that you should be able to see if that is true. I might be wrong and the spraybar might be enough - something you can try is angling half the spray bar up and half down to get the flow into different places in your tank. Am I seeing it right that it's a two part spray bar?

You could definitely get something on that wavemaker to make the inlet holes smaller, something like this?

Or a hairnet held on with rubber bands?

I haven't had a guppy go on adventures for a while but a couple of days ago found one swimming around outside in my wastewater sump. The water is pumped or siphoned out under a tree in my back yard, plus theres a secondary holding tank which is linked by siphon to the main sump to double the capacity. Anyway I am guessing the guppy ended up out there in a handful of duckweed at some point, possibly even as a baby, and has survived water being dumped on it's head and avoided being pumped or siphoned for who knows how long. I netted him out but he was pretty stressed and I couldn't really see his colours too well, so for temporary I put him in my Fluval Spec V with the few crayfish that are in there thinking I would get a better look at him in the morning. Come morning he was gone, and since the crayfish have never eaten a fish before I assumed he'd jumped out but didn't find him anywhere. Didnt find bones in the water either. Went to work thinking nothing more of it but that evening I noticed some anomalous movements from the filter compartment. Previously I had converted the fluval spec's filter to be an airlift and it turns out the guppy decided to swim down the filter outlet against the flow of the bubbles, all the way down the airlift tube and into the narrow filter chamber (and had been stuck there all day). Only way I could get him out was to take the airlift out, and point it back through the hole in the filter chamber to coax him to swim against the flow out of the hole. Guppy instinct I guess, swim against the flow to try and find other fish to hang around with? He looks healthy and he's got an exploratory streak, I think he's a keeper.

That guppy is awesome :).

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
The move to the 20 gallon went well. 1 cory cat died but he looked pretty sickly already. I moved my betta to the 10 gallon and he seems confused having so much room for activities.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I am really looking forward to seeing how my fish react to moving them to the new big tank, from 4 feet to 5 feet isn't that much more length but the tank is easily 50% deeper and three or four times taller than the sad mess of a tank that they're currently in. I'm still getting the water right and waiting for the plants to establish, I haven't got the hose I need to fill it so I'm slowly manually filling it and haven't got to the point where I can run the built in pump yet. I'm running the wavemaker to keep the water moving and I think between the two there will be a nice amount of flow around the tank. It will be a little while before it is fish ready.

For extra livestock I'm thinking about some dwarf blue neon rainbows and maybe some yellow panchax, although I don't know how robust those are. I have to keep in mind that my existing fish are boisterous at best and aggressive at worst. If I can see any I can afford, I wouldn't mind getting some kind of synodontis (if there are any that are compatible) since as far as I can tell they can look after themselves pretty well. I've still got my striped raphaels in the back of my mind too, I'm wondering if I should just move them soon so they have enough room to grow or wait until they're bigger. There isn't enough hardscape yet for catfish caves and I don't really want them digging holes and messing up the plants, but there are hollows under the driftwood and still room to add more rocks so maybe I'll build some caves just in case. I haven't seen them leave their current cave for a few weeks so I don't know how big they are now although I see two of them sticking their heads out fairly regularly.

No, I think I have to move them, the extra water volume over their current tank can only do them good. Then that will leave more bioload capacity for different fish in the tank they're leaving. Maybe neon blue rainbows are a better fit mixed in with barbs? Can't do anything until big tank is ready, other tanks are juggled and some quarantine real estate becomes available.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
And there goes my second L14 six incher. I had moved him to my 90, with more caves and hiding places, and he looked to be eating, but found him dead this morning. I'm down to 2 smaller ones.

So....as of last December, this is a total of 6 L14s dead. The first 4 came from a bad wholesaler and they were sick, the last two, one got stuck under a cave and died, and this one, no idea.

Just one of those days where it's gently caress it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It seems that my Juwel 100cm light is dead and won't turn on (probably ballast issue?). It looks like this, with the front and rear lids attaching to the long sides:

I'm struggling to fix it somehow since it's sealed and complete replacements are pretty expensive so I'm considering just going to LEDs to also save electricity. They do make LED tubes that should fit right in, but obviously that won't help if they aren't powered properly. One option I'm considering is just sticking some LED strips to the lid which should work but would be kind of sketchy. Any other ideas?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Oh goddamn it. I spent the weekend rebooting my tank by cleaning it from top to bottom, putting in new substrate, overhauling the decorations, and plasti-dipping the back panel, only to find I put scratches in the glass with my bucket. When is the next DPG sale? :(

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

It seems that my Juwel 100cm light is dead and won't turn on (probably ballast issue?). It looks like this, with the front and rear lids attaching to the long sides:

I'm struggling to fix it somehow since it's sealed and complete replacements are pretty expensive so I'm considering just going to LEDs to also save electricity. They do make LED tubes that should fit right in, but obviously that won't help if they aren't powered properly. One option I'm considering is just sticking some LED strips to the lid which should work but would be kind of sketchy. Any other ideas?

I have an inexpensive Beamswork LED and it's fantastic. (I somehow managed to snag one on sale for $27 but even for $50 I still think it's quite good). Originally I went a DIY route with LED strips but they turned yellow very quickly. They also corroded severely and just turned straight up nasty (these were IP 65 rated too). If you were inclined to just replace it entirely, that would be a cheap but still good way to go IMO.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 18, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Oh goddamn it. I spent the weekend rebooting my tank by cleaning it from top to bottom, putting in new substrate, overhauling the decorations, and plasti-dipping the back panel, only to find I put scratches in the glass with my bucket. When is the next DPG sale? :(

A Petco by me has one starting today.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
drat it if only I had waited like two weeks.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Fully pulled the tank apart, completely re-scaped it, and got rid of all my elodea since it just wasn't working for me any more. 80% water change, but things are looking great again. Just need poo poo to settle and I'll get some pictures. Much, much happier with the tank than I was earlier. Moved my swords a bit, so they'll likely get grumpy, but I'll cope.

Another week or two in quarantine and the 10 new cory's and the pleco can move over. Should help a ton. Have my LFS looking into dwarf neon rainbows as well. And I think I'll get some Oto's, I've got tons of biofilm for them and I love the look of'em.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever split up driftwood? I have this giant (relatively speaking) piece of malaysian wood that I didn't realize would be too big for my tastes when I bought it. It spans nearly the entire length and height of a ten gallon. I'm wondering if I took a chisel and a hammer to it if I could break it up into smaller pieces without either ruining it completely or creating dangerous jaggy bits.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Has anyone ever split up driftwood? I have this giant (relatively speaking) piece of malaysian wood that I didn't realize would be too big for my tastes when I bought it. It spans nearly the entire length and height of a ten gallon. I'm wondering if I took a chisel and a hammer to it if I could break it up into smaller pieces without either ruining it completely or creating dangerous jaggy bits.

Saw it? Chisel seems sketchy, not really sure if it's the right tool

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

Saw it? Chisel seems sketchy, not really sure if it's the right tool

I was thinking if I could split it with a wedge instead of just making a clean cut, I could get some more interesting shapes out of it. Meh, I'll probably just see if I can trade it or something. I have a a plastic tote full of rocks and stuff I thought would be awesome but ended up not liking or having some kind of problem with (like ohko stone which looks great until it chips off and leaves bright orange debris in my black sand substrate, or gets algae in the pores and becomes a bitch to clean).

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Not sure how you'd get on splitting or cutting Malaysian driftwood, that's the one that's super hard and heavy so that it sinks right away, right? So it might be too tough to do with hand tools.

I had a bit of a shock just now, decided to give everyone one last round of worms after having a ton of grindals left from splitting a culture and first tank I came across had some kind of horrible ugly brown spheres growing all over the glass in the corners of the tank. I'd already fed this tank without seeing it so it seemed like these hideous brown spheres sprang up out of nowhere. They made me think of nits or parasites or something which I find completely revolting. Anyway it took a good 20 seconds of gaping in disgust before realising I was looking at sterbai corydoras eggs and then disgust turned to joy so fast I gave myself indigestion. I had no idea I'd find them so viscerally repulsive! I managed to save about forty to fifty of them, from three different laying spots. Snails had already eaten 4 or 5 eggs and I dropped a few while trying to remove them. I already had a breeder box set up in this tank, completely wishful thinking that one day I would be raising corydoras in it. I think the spur of the moment water change I did last night, combined with actual real world rain, must have set them off.

Whoever came up with the advice to use something flat to roll the eggs up the glass didn't mention what to do once the egg got to the top and rolled away. I got on a lot better using my fingers and could get 2 or 3 eggs at once that way without much trouble. They're a lot harder than I expected even having read about how tough the eggs are. I'm going to do a bit more reading to work out how long I have before they hatch but even if this batch of eggs fails it shows I am giving the fish an environment that they are happy in.

I do remember reading cory fry do better on fine sand so I'm trying that.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Stoca Zola posted:

Not sure how you'd get on splitting or cutting Malaysian driftwood, that's the one that's super hard and heavy so that it sinks right away, right? So it might be too tough to do with hand tools.

I had a bit of a shock just now, decided to give everyone one last round of worms after having a ton of grindals left from splitting a culture and first tank I came across had some kind of horrible ugly brown spheres growing all over the glass in the corners of the tank. I'd already fed this tank without seeing it so it seemed like these hideous brown spheres sprang up out of nowhere. They made me think of nits or parasites or something which I find completely revolting. Anyway it took a good 20 seconds of gaping in disgust before realising I was looking at sterbai corydoras eggs and then disgust turned to joy so fast I gave myself indigestion. I had no idea I'd find them so viscerally repulsive! I managed to save about forty to fifty of them, from three different laying spots. Snails had already eaten 4 or 5 eggs and I dropped a few while trying to remove them. I already had a breeder box set up in this tank, completely wishful thinking that one day I would be raising corydoras in it. I think the spur of the moment water change I did last night, combined with actual real world rain, must have set them off.

Whoever came up with the advice to use something flat to roll the eggs up the glass didn't mention what to do once the egg got to the top and rolled away. I got on a lot better using my fingers and could get 2 or 3 eggs at once that way without much trouble. They're a lot harder than I expected even having read about how tough the eggs are. I'm going to do a bit more reading to work out how long I have before they hatch but even if this batch of eggs fails it shows I am giving the fish an environment that they are happy in.

I do remember reading cory fry do better on fine sand so I'm trying that.

Awesome, congrats! I'm really hoping my cory's will breed someday, but I'm not stressing on it. I'm keeping my 20 gallon ready to go after I move them out, so if I get eggs, they'll get a nice 20g with fine sand and sponge filters, and tons of moss. I also really need to quit looking for 90-120g tanks for my not-even-close-to-finished basement room I'm reno'ing in.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Two weeks after my last check in and 2 months into my fishless cycle and not only am I still not getting nitrites but my ammonia seems to be going up (i mean, I'm judging the darkest shades of green so its unclear but its definitely not getting lighter). I'm at a loss.

Right now my best guess is I should just empty the tank and start over, but leave the filter and moss balls. I might buy a plant or something to see if that can help and abandon the plastic stuff. Maybe check my pet store and see if they've got bacteria or driftwood or something that can help it along. Maybe even look into snails or shrimp or something. I don't know. But right now I'm past "stay the course and give it time" and to "it seems like its going the wrong way."

The water also seems cloudy again. I'm not sure what that means but it seems like a step back.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 19, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

STAC Goat posted:

Two weeks after my last check in and 2 months into my fishless cycle and not only am I still not getting nitrites but my ammonia seems to be going up (i mean, I'm judging the darkest shades of green so its unclear but its definitely not getting lighter). I'm at a loss.

Right now my best guess is I should just empty the tank and start over, but leave the filter and moss balls. I might buy a plant or something to see if that can help and abandon the plastic stuff. Maybe check my pet store and see if they've got bacteria or driftwood or something that can help it along. Maybe even look into snails or shrimp or something. I don't know. But right now I'm past "stay the course and give it time" and to "it seems like its going the wrong way."

The water also seems cloudy again. I'm not sure what that means but it seems like a step back.

If you are gregarious you can also try to get the fish store to give/sell you a bit of gravel or filter media from one of their healthy tanks. That probably gets you a more diverse colony of bacteria than the bottled stuff. Is the stuff in the bottles still alive even? How would you know?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you are gregarious you can also try to get the fish store to give/sell you a bit of gravel or filter media from one of their healthy tanks. That probably gets you a more diverse colony of bacteria than the bottled stuff. Is the stuff in the bottles still alive even? How would you know?

Yeah, the only problem is that when I spoke to the pet store guy about this last time he didn't really seem to have any sense of a "fishless cycle." Of course that was 2 months ago and I didn't have any real world experience or acquired practical knowledge so a conversation would probably go different today. And I have a better idea of what I might need or want know so at worst he could probably reach out to his distributor as he suggested when we spoke last time.

My concern is that last time he was really pushing for me to just get a couple of goldfish to cycle the tank and then move on from. I don't really want to treat fish like disposable parts but I imagine he'll suggest the same thing again and I'll be more open to it since I'm getting frustrated with the lack of anything. But plants/invertebrates would probably satisfy that.

I'll probably carve out some time mid week to go and talk. I just feel like I need to change something up because this doesn't seem to be working.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is the true move. Getting a nasty some or 2 from a local Facebook group worked really well for me when I set up recently

STAC Goat posted:

My concern is that last time he was really pushing for me to just get a couple of goldfish to cycle the tank and then move on from. I don't really want to treat fish like disposable parts but I imagine he'll suggest the same thing again and I'll be more open to it since I'm getting frustrated with the lack of anything. But plants/invertebrates would probably satisfy that.

The goldfish really just act as a source of ammonia so if your amonia is high already I wouldn't worry about it. Really at this point is getting the bacteria to establish. Stealing some bacteria from another source is really the way to go.

Sponges, gravel, decorations, etc will all work. Should go faster if you jam a used/unwashed sponge in your filter with your other media

Also do some water changes to bring down that ammonia, I think you aim for 2.0ppm, more than that actually stops the cycle from advancing (I believe). No signs of a cycle on my end for 3 weeks when I did it recently

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 20, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

w00tmonger posted:

The goldfish really just act as a source of ammonia so if your amonia is high already I wouldn't worry about it. Really at this point is getting the bacteria to establish. Stealing some bacteria from another source is really the way to go.

I imagine the goldfish also transfer a bit of bacteria from their home tank. If everything in your tank is new and clean, then you are relying on airborne bacteria to colonize your filters, which works eventually, but starting with even a few dozen of the right bacteria has got to speed things up. Though if that mechanism works, plants or literally anything from a healthy tank would work just as well.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the only problem is that when I spoke to the pet store guy about this last time he didn't really seem to have any sense of a "fishless cycle."

They have never needed to know about it. Fish stores can be a bit callous about fish lives, because they see dead fish every day. You just can't be that sad about every dead guppy and stay in the job, you know? Since it works and doesn't cost much, they see no reason to try anything else.

Anyway, what brand ammonia did you end up using? I wonder if it could have had impurities that interfered with the bacteria.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I used "Dr. Tim's Aquatics" Ammonium Chloride Solution I got online specifically for aquariums.

A lot of the problem does seem to come down to the fact that I was starting from scratch entirely. Tank, gravel, filter, sponge, decorations all out of the box (and rinsed off). The only thing that might have come with some bacteria were the moss balls and I did see some progress after adding them, but maybe that was chance or maybe there just wasn't enough bacteria and they died off or something? I don't know. But I'm gonna go to the pet store this week and see if I can get something "used" to put in my tank.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Fish stores can be a bit callous about fish lives, because they see dead fish every day. You just can't be that sad about every dead guppy and stay in the job, you know?
yo lemme tell you about the time I had to blindly stab a huge blob of congealed neon tetra corpse jelly down a utility sink drain

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I found a video on YouTube where a dude puts a superfish retroLED into a Juwel fitting and it isn’t powered through the same supply, it has its own power cord and just reuses the mounting point so that kind of thing would definitely work. I’d definitely recommend a tube type light over an LED strip, I retrofitted a stick on strip to my aquaone hooded tank and even using 5050 LEDs which are pretty bright if you’re looking right at them, it doesn’t really penetrate that well. In any case it looks like you have to get the tubes out of the seal to do a replacement and if you get the seal open you can just try a new tube. More likely to be a dead tube than a dead ballast and apparently if one Juwel light dies the other one stops running so you might only need to replace one tube.

Yesterday found 9 more sterbai cory eggs so the total must be well over 50 now, and this morning I can see 2 tiny wiggly fry. They zoom a lot for a newborn fry but then stop dead still and become invisible. I have cherry shrimp on egg cleaning duty and I don’t think a single egg looks fungused, of the first batch none even look infertile but it’s harder to tell with the fresher eggs. They weren’t as dark as the first lot. I’ve got my vinegar eel harvesting bottle set up, and coincidentally a brine shrimp hatching rack arrived in the mail today which I bought before I even knew eggs were coming. So by the time these fry are ready to eat I should have food ready for them. I’ve got some micro powder food too (which I feed the riffle shrimp with) so they can get dry and live food which should cover all their needs. I really love raising fry even though feeding them multiple times a day and doing extra water changes is kind of a pain in the arse.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Easily 20 fry have hatched already. They're extremely zoomy and when they rest, they pile up in the corners of the breeder box. I set up a second breeder box since it's pretty obvious that this first one is going to be ridiculously crowded. There were some eggs I'd managed to stick on some leaves so those ones were easy to move, but I'm not going to move actual fry until they are a bit bigger and more structurally sound. I've heard of people moving fry too soon and popping the egg sac which I dont think the fry can survive.

No idea how long it will be before they can eat, so I'm just going to keep an eye on their fat egg bellies until they're gone.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Well, it's been a while since I posted. I've been pretty busy. The good news is that the new shubunkin may have had a bit of a rough time, but he's fully recovered and looking very well. I've got some photos, though some of them are a little outdated. They don't like to keep still when I'm near the tank, so getting a clear photo is hard.

So, the new shubunkin's wounds are completely healed over, and he's active and healthy. His personality changed a little bit, but I think that was just because he's become more familiar with his tankmates. He's very competitive during feeding time, and he's starting to catch up to the oldest one (Lotus) as well. We ended up naming him Rin, from the Ginrin Koi. He reminded us of one of those, but we don't really know koi so we could still be way off. Whatever the case, there's been no issues since we put him back in December.

This guy is still an aggressive poo poo, though. Lemon seems otherwise happy, but he seems to get easily frustrated and lashes out. He could be nibbling at one of the plants, and when one of the other goofballs bump into him, he'll just drop what he's doing and pursue. He's surprisingly well behaved outside of the temper tantrums, and usually leaves them alone or swims along with them. He won't bother them if they're sleeping either. drat, has he grown fast though. He's bigger than Lotus now. I wonder if the aggression is a hierarchy thing? We've been keeping the overcrowding, feeding, and water quality in check. He does focus his attention predominately on Lotus, who we believe is female. It's kind of hard to tell, since she's a little deformed from the stunted growth before I took over care. Anyway, his aggression is infrequent at the moment, at least, but I'm still keeping an eye on everything. He's been this way for probably over half a year now.

The last one we're going to be getting anytime soon. A tank expansion is all well and good, and we'll continue to do that as they grow bigger, but it won't take long for these guys to outgrow any tank we can feasibly fit in the room with the rate they grow. This one is Blueberry (there's more blue on the other side). They seemed way less shy than Rin when he was introduced, but was also way more cautious about the others. They fit in pretty well, very quickly though and there's been absolutely no problems with them since they were added two months ago.

For good measure, I may as well include a photo of Lotus as well. Again, a little dated and from the old tank setup, but whatever. These guys don't really stay still when they're surrounded in plants to devour. Which, speaking of...

We've decided to give up with most plants. The anubias, java, and elodea are fine. Everything else just gets torn to shreds, and it's accelerated with another addition. I recall coming home one day to find one of the really nice, red-leafed plants completely stripped to the stem. It ended up snapping, too. We were warned that goldfish don't get along well with a planted tank, but it looked nice and they seemed to really enjoy them. We're just replacing them far too often.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

It is pretty much expensive fish food although I'm sure it's really good for them :) I found the same with my rosy barbs, there's a couple of plants they won't touch and anything else is breakfast lunch and dinner. I love the look of goldfish surrounded by green plants though, it always seems a bit sad seeing them in bare tanks.

I do think breeding behaviour is pretty rough with goldfish (and also many fish species) so you are probably right about the aggression you're seeing.

I have been sick today so I slept in a bit, when I got up this afternoon to check on the baby sterbai corydoras and egg hatching progress, all the fry were gone! No movement, no fish, just a few odd unhatched eggs. After puzzling it out a bit, I got a torch and lit the breeder box from the side and it turns out they were all piled in the shadow under a leaf that had I added for them for cover. Their camouflage is so good and they're so small that I really can't see them when they aren't moving. Hopefully they'll still get enough food, I have a 4 hour lights off period during the middle of the day so that should give them a chance to come out if they are feeling that way inclined. They are so different to the other fish fry I've raised, I've got a lot of learning to do.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stoca Zola posted:

I found a video on YouTube where a dude puts a superfish retroLED into a Juwel fitting and it isn’t powered through the same supply, it has its own power cord and just reuses the mounting point so that kind of thing would definitely work. I’d definitely recommend a tube type light over an LED strip, I retrofitted a stick on strip to my aquaone hooded tank and even using 5050 LEDs which are pretty bright if you’re looking right at them, it doesn’t really penetrate that well. In any case it looks like you have to get the tubes out of the seal to do a replacement and if you get the seal open you can just try a new tube. More likely to be a dead tube than a dead ballast and apparently if one Juwel light dies the other one stops running so you might only need to replace one tube.
Thanks, the Superfish thing looks like a perfect solution. It doesn't seem to be available locally and kind of expensive but I might be able to get it somewhere. I thought it might be a dead tube but had no way to test it, I guess I could just buy one and try it out, they're cheap enough thankfully.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I noticed some of the eggs I dropped while trying to roll them off the glass, had hatched in the main cory tank and since I’ve worked out you can’t see the fry without spotlighting them I got a torch to see how those fry were doing. If the fry from this week are newborn babies, I spotted one crawling aged baby cory and one full toddler sized cory which apparently survived from previous unnoticed spawnings. I have no idea how old they are (or if there are more) and I guess it’s possible they’re the same age and one is eating better, anyway it seems like each of them live on the two sponge filters and eat whatever is stuck to the outside. So that’s worms, particles of sera onip, copepods and so on. If two can survive unknown, ignored, unfed, I feel a lot more confident about raising up the ones I’ve got in the breeder box. Overcrowding and water quality are probably going to be the main problems I think.

Anyway kind of embarrassing that I’ve missed a spawning and also missed that fry were already in the tank after making such a fuss about the new ones this week.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’m still on the hunt for a single female honey gourami. The pair that I have at the moment are really entertaining little fish but I feel like the male needs two girls to chase about rather than just one. I’ve noticed the black phantoms have mellowed a little since I put the gouramis in a few weeks ago. They’re slightly fussy eaters though and prefer pellets to bloodworms which I only ever feed once a week at most.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Injuryprone posted:

Fish can sulk?

My shuby did when the comet was in the tank with him. He'd go over in the corner away from the other guys and just float all droopy finned. Now that his tank mates are gone he's lively and perky and is always anxious around feeding time

I'm having a hard time coming to grips with how dumb i've been. I've tried all sorts of media that all just seems to get gummed up really easy and is hard as gently caress to clean without replacing it. Saw green pot scrubbies in the store a few weeks back and thought "Jesus, why didn't i think of this before. Dumbass"

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 24, 2018

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Lots of people use scrubbies, just need to make sure they're not pre-soaped, rinse well before use, yadda yadda. If you get your mechanical filtration nicely in order from coarsest to finest you should only need to rinse the coarse stuff often and the fine stuff shouldn't clog so fast.

I tried to get some pictures of my sterbai Cory fry today but it wasn't too successful. It's just way easier to see them when they're in motion!

https://i.imgur.com/qTVboWl.gifv

18 more eggs today, I managed to squash one and drop 2, and 2 or 3 look unfertilized but I've put the rest of these latest ones into the hang on box which had a few hatch already today. I don't know if my sterbai ladies will ever stop laying. Going to raise as many as I can though! I love corys so this is a dream come true.

Meanwhile back in the suspected disease guppy tank no one has died for days and days. There's still some ugly skinny ones though, I'm still going to break that tank down. Maybe after I've cleaned it I can fill it with sterbai corys.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 25, 2018

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

The unthinkable has happened! I found 3 eggs in my plague cory treatment tank. Definitely panda cory eggs, they're slightly larger than sterbai eggs even though the fish are smaller. I've removed them to a breeder box and honestly I think they might even be viable, although I don't think the water parameters in the tank they are from are compatible with raising fry (way too much salt, from treating a possible fungal infection). I had 18 more sterbai eggs today too so the second hang on box is filling up with eggs. It'll be interesting to see whether these panda eggs survive being transfered, and whether the panda fry compete with the sterbai. Of course I bought 6 more panda corys last week because I figured I didnt have a good mix of sexes in my main panda tank. I didnt figure on those two quarantine pandas being male and female or even being interested in breeding (although I have to admit I do feed them about as well as any of my other fish so I guess they'd be well conditioned). Really hope they lay some more eggs though! If I can raise up some babies it will make me feel a lot better about having lost so many pandas.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Holy crap that's awesome!

Had the event yesterday. Mixed reviews because the silent auction was smaller than usual (we had two empty tables where usually all are full and poo poo is piled on the floor...but that said a box of fish never arrived so we were down about 15-20 bags) and one of the speakers was Boring As gently caress talking about genetics of plants rather than how to keep in aquariums. But the regular auction was good, the raffle huge.

I donated about 15 bags of fish and two boxes of dry goods, but it seems a lot of people had a similar mindset: Other People Will Bring It Too. So I only brought two bags of plecos. One other person brought one bag. Each went for about $25. I brought 3 bags of shrimp. Only one other person brought shrimp. $22 a bag for a dozen. A loving bag of 6 male endlers went for $16!

Meanwhile another guy brought in 10 bottles of daphnia and they went for 1-3 bucks each.

Some people did say they were disappointed in the silent auction....to which I wanted to scream, IT'S ALL DONATIONS YOU loving FUCKTARDS! I didn't see ANY of them bring in anything, or if they did, it was garbage poo poo like convicts. gently caress, a few years ago I found a great deal online for some synodontis fry, and bought 30 of them for $100. I kept them for a few months, growing them up, and then donated half to the SAKE. Everyone wanted them. Sometimes you do have to spend some money to make some, even for donations! I brought in a bag of calvus cichlids, and some albino yellow labs, and shrimp and plecos, and lots of aquarium decor.

A friend of mine wasn't impressed with the event because he kept getting outbid, wasn't winning in the raffle (he only got 30 tickets when most people were going for 60 or more. I myself got 90.) and there weren't any cories or rare tetras or anything he really wanted. And he's heard me before discuss how it's all donations and hopefully we'll get nice cories (the dude who brings them didn't this year, or any petrified wood) or something but we are at the mercy of people who don't want to give up good poo poo but want to buy it cheap.

At least the two bitches who complained their cichlids weren't going for a high enough amount (and they weren't donations. They were being sold but the club got half) didn't whine this year. They also didn't donate poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks, the Superfish thing looks like a perfect solution. It doesn't seem to be available locally and kind of expensive but I might be able to get it somewhere. I thought it might be a dead tube but had no way to test it, I guess I could just buy one and try it out, they're cheap enough thankfully.
After cleaning the tank today I plugged the light back in by habit and somehow it fixed and turned itself on a few hours later :iiam: