Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Asehujiko posted:

So what is the "lore" behind Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak? Is the entire thing there just to mine/pump the green goo towards Mytha's beauty bath?

Harvest Valley was a massive iron mine (where ore was 'harvested' of course) during the time of whatever kingdom the Old Iron King used to rule. At some point or another it was stripped bare, and the toxic gas most likely originated underground -- naturally so, as that's a real-world reason mines get abandoned. Earthen Peak was most likely a foundry of some sorts which was later converted to a processing plant for all that poison when the Queen flipped her lid -- as explained by Gilligan, she was the wife of either the Iron King or another nobleman who grew jealous at her husband's indiscretion and decided that, of course, the most reasonable course of action was to augment her 'beauty' by mutating herself. How very resourceful -- a use for all that poison gas that flooded the mines!

What I don't quite get is why there are Fenito grave wardens in Earthen Peak. The sorceresses and manikins are easily enough explained as minions of the Queen, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sydin posted:

Thanks. Did the game tell me this at some point and I just missed it? Or was I supposed to be psychic and know to go back to the there?

It's at the end of a staircase downstairs that's a few feet away from a bonfire. I think they just expect you to try heading in that direction at some point.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mazed posted:

What I don't quite get is why there are Fenito grave wardens in Earthen Peak. The sorceresses and manikins are easily enough explained as minions of the Queen, though.

It's a King's Field 4 reference, where a very similar area had tall guys with robes, weird spears, and the exact same type of cowl. It's also the same place they got the Sen's Fortress snake-men from! :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 2, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mazed posted:

Harvest Valley was a massive iron mine (where ore was 'harvested' of course) during the time of whatever kingdom the Old Iron King used to rule. At some point or another it was stripped bare, and the toxic gas most likely originated underground -- naturally so, as that's a real-world reason mines get abandoned. Earthen Peak was most likely a foundry of some sorts which was later converted to a processing plant for all that poison when the Queen flipped her lid -- as explained by Gilligan, she was the wife of either the Iron King or another nobleman who grew jealous at her husband's indiscretion and decided that, of course, the most reasonable course of action was to augment her 'beauty' by mutating herself. How very resourceful -- a use for all that poison gas that flooded the mines!

The Manikins were created by the Queen to be her servants and she ripped their faces off as punishment for looking at her

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

Thanks. Did the game tell me this at some point and I just missed it? Or was I supposed to be psychic and know to go back to the there?

The thing you get from one of the giant's memories says that it grants access to the throne room under the castle..

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Could the poison in Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak be from Black Gulch?

Speaking of Black Gulch, what the hell is up with the statues there and in The Gutter? There's a few of those creepy things in Majula too near the pit, however they're inactive for some reason. The boss in Black Gulch looks like it was trying to repair them to no avail.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

dis astranagant posted:

The Manikins were created by the Queen to be her servants and she ripped their faces off as punishment for looking at her

And now I'm pondering the benefits of wearing that doofy-looking manikin mask as part of my main set.

Wish it looked like how they did in that first trailer, but having dumb masks on feels like a Dark Souls tradition.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god the login server is down!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god the login server is down!

Not being able to quit the game properly until after the login is really annoying when this happens. :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What's the trick to collecting the items and chests on the hot ground in the Iron Keep? I've tried suiciding but I don't have enough time. I also tried using an item to increase my fire resistance but that didn't seem to make a difference. Is there a ring similar to the one from Lost Izalith?

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Mazed posted:

Likely another nobleman, since it seems to heavily imply that the Covetous Demon is what her husband turned into.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

What's the trick to collecting the items and chests on the hot ground in the Iron Keep? I've tried suiciding but I don't have enough time. I also tried using an item to increase my fire resistance but that didn't seem to make a difference. Is there a ring similar to the one from Lost Izalith?

No, you need to REALLY stack up your fire resistance (800 at the bare minimum). You'll need Alonne Armor or armor with similar fire resist, Flash Sweat, and then you'll need to break some of the water jugs up the stairs from Magerold/next to the mimic. Then check your fire resistance in your equipment screen and see; you'll know you're water-soaked if your lightning defense reads 0.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Which stat determins the number of casts per spell? When I rolled the sorcerer I initially had 30 soul arrows, but sometime after I leveled up a bit I suddenly had 31.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

It takes a poo poo ton of fire resist.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

ulvir posted:

Which stat determins the number of casts per spell? When I rolled the sorcerer I initially had 30 soul arrows, but sometime after I leveled up a bit I suddenly had 31.

Attunement.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Wildtortilla posted:

You have to stack fire resistances, though some of the items will still be suicide runs. In addition to using items and spells, keep in mind that you get free fire resistance from being soaked in water. All the urns in the Iron Keep hold water, and some Phallos doors fill up pools.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ulvir posted:

Attunement gives a little bit every now and then.

Speaking of spell casts: where can I go to get more lightning spear? 11 shots isn't anywhere near enough.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ulvir posted:

Which stat determinates the number of casts per spell? When I rolled the sorcerer I initially had 30 soul arrows, but sometime after I leveled up a bit I suddenly had 31.

Raising Attunement will occasionally add extra spell casts!

dis astranagant posted:

Speaking of spell casts: where can I go to get more lightning spear? 11 shots isn't anywhere near enough.

Licia will sell more, and eventually infinite, copies of Lightning Spear based on game progress..

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Alabaster White posted:

Licia will sell more, and eventually infinite, copies of Lightning Spear based on game progress..

Though from my experience, you're more likely to just stock with a lot of Greater Lightning Spear by that point. By the time I noticed Licia's expanded inventory, I had a 1:3 ratio of normals to greaters.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Any specific ideas on that progress? I don't think Smelter Demon's going anywhere :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Any specific ideas on that progress? I don't think Smelter Demon's going anywhere :v:

Have you been through The Gutter yet? If you can, you can snag a copy of Greater Lightning Spear. Otherwise, you're gonna have to suck it up. Of course, Smelter Demon is totally optional... :v:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Lysandus posted:

Attunement.

dis astranagant posted:

Alabaster White posted:

Raising Attunement will occasionally add extra spell casts!

Neat! Thanks.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

dis astranagant posted:

I think there's one in earthen peak, on the ledge with the first archer you come across. You need to fall down from somewhere but I can't remember where exactly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Great lightning spear is way out of my league. I'd just suck it up and use GRS but I don't have a decent dark chime yet.

Cicadalek posted:

I think there's one in earthen peak, on the ledge with the first archer you come across. You need to fall down from somewhere but I can't remember where exactly.

THAT'S what's over there? I guess it's about time I figure out where you can actually drop to it, then.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Just keep trying, after some time you get lucky and he just spends the entire fight stunlocking your phantoms instead of you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Last time I did that he turned around and instakilled me with a combo from about the edge of lockon range.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If I want to reset the Gargoyles, which bonfire do I have to use an ascetic on?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Last time I did that he turned around and instakilled me with a combo from about the edge of lockon range.

Alright, as someone who's beaten Smelter in the Champion Covenant, I'll give you three huge tips on how to defeat him:
1) Don't summon a phantom! It boosts his HP too much and makes his AI act erratically, so you won't be able to predict if he's about to turn around and destroy you.
2) The best way to fight is to circle around to the right and hitting him while he's attacking. Also, if he does a jump attack, get away immediately cause he'll do an explosion if you try to get hits in.
3) He's weak to poison :confused:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Beat the game last weekend, on a no-spoiler, no-wiki playthrough. I enjoyed it quite a bit, the mechanics are definitely tighter than DS1. I probably enjoyed the world design of DS1 more, I was very chuffed with the fact that everything connected logically to everything else in that game. Still, DS2 isn't bad in that regard. You can see Heide's Tower of Flame, the Forest of the Giants ruins, Drangleic Castle, and a couple other areas from Majula and they all make sense location-wise. The most egregious was probably Earthen-Peak->Old Iron Keep, but even that made sense as it was essentially in a caldera, they just didn't illustrate the transition super well. Aldia's->Dragon Shrine was super awesome and the whole first part of Dragon Shrine basically made up for any world design flaws the game had. Love love love that area.

I played a pure physical character with 50Str/40Dex and a bunch of Vgr/End/Vit/Adp. Was planning to go heavy armor (farmed up +10 Alonne Knight gear) but ended up wearing the Prisoner's chest and head pieces when I discovered they gave item drop chance (I'm a loot whore). Threw back on the Alonne armor for bosses. Equipment-wise, I played the entire game through with a Mace and the Pursuer's Greatsword, had 'em both maxed out around 3 boss souls in, no infusions. I actually totally missed the infusion guy for the first 4/5 of the game, then when I found him my stats were high enough that infusion would have been a damage loss. Used a Greatshield the whole time as well. Never had too much trouble with any of the bosses, since I was able to keep my quickroll. When you have a fat Greatshield+Heavy Armor+Quickroll there's not really much that can kill you if you aren't asleep. Enjoyed most of them, although none of them were super challenging they were varied enough that I never felt bored. I never really hit a wall like I did with Ornstein and Smough in DS1, but that's probably because I was playing Offline in DS1 and Online this time around. Beating those two solo was rough, especially since I didn't know I could summon Solaire the first time through. Felt great when I did it though.

Speaking of Online, I really really liked the multiplayer features. Bellhops and Ratlords were both super obnoxious but they're supposed to be, and don't really block off anything mandatory. I got cracked red-eye stone invaded a LOT (roughly 40 times in my playthrough) but was generally able to hold my own with the Pursuer's Greatsword (single mace is very poopy for PvP). I even did a little bit of DRAGON DUELZ and that was fun. I LOVED LOVED LOVED phantoming in and helping people, especially as a Sunbro. Was a great way to get fixed up before the boss, preview the mechanics, and help someone out, all at the same time. Then I could solo it, or if I was feeling lazy, call in some bros and beat it up easy-like. Really relaxes the game to have online going (at least the PvE aspect). I liked it.

I'd say, for me, the game was as good as DS1. It did a few things poorer, a few things better, but overall felt consistent with the first game and gave me more of what I wanted. Really happy with it. I suspect I will grow to like it even more, as the expanded NG+ looks really good. I jumped into NG+ for just a second and died immediately, since I wasn't sure if the Falconer's were hostile or not. I started as a Knight so I though "oh cool, maybe they sent a Falconbro to welcome me to NG+ since I was a Knight who started with the Falconer armor. NOPE. So that gave me a laugh and I'm looking forward to what else is in store. Hope everyone else is enjoying it as well.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 2, 2014

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Alabaster White posted:

Alright, as someone who's beaten Smelter in the Champion Covenant,

:stonklol:

Glutton for punishment?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Voluspa posted:

:stonklol:

Glutton for punishment?

I've beaten the entire game in Champ Covenant multiple times (without magic, even) and I thought it was too easy for the most part :shobon:

e: vvvv I have no idea then because I don't play spellcasters :shrug:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

Alright, as someone who's beaten Smelter in the Champion Covenant, I'll give you three huge tips on how to defeat him:
1) Don't summon a phantom! It boosts his HP too much and makes his AI act erratically, so you won't be able to predict if he's about to turn around and destroy you.
2) The best way to fight is to circle around to the right and hitting him while he's attacking. Also, if he does a jump attack, get away immediately cause he'll do an explosion if you try to get hits in.

I've beaten him before, just not with a flimsy hexer in bad need of some AGI.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Ulvirich posted:

Speaking of Black Gulch, what the hell is up with the statues there and in The Gutter? There's a few of those creepy things in Majula too near the pit, however they're inactive for some reason. The boss in Black Gulch looks like it was trying to repair them to no avail.

The Gutter/Black Gulch is basically Majulas waste dump. Some sort of creature got a hold of a lord soul and decided to build a little kingdom for all things thrown aside. Im guessing he either made or collected the statues, maybe to try and create company for all the lost souls that end up there?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Alabaster White posted:

Can you summon NPC phantoms while in the Champions Covenant?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Can you summon NPC phantoms while in the Champions Covenant?

No, and you cannot be summoned yourself! I flat-out tossed my soapstones in the box and never touched them all game. You'll need to drop out for Benhart and Lucatiel's questline.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Good post, pretty similar to my experience on the first run with the only difference being I was pure strength with minimal dex. No spoiler, no wiki is the only way to play this game.

Instead of NG+ I started again on the PC version as a hexer and the game is much easier now apart from a few enemies that dont get hurt by spells.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Smelter Demon telegraphs all his attacks nicely and has no fast attacks to catch you off guard, making his attacks fairly easy to dodge. Two-hand a good strike weapon (like large/great club), dodge his attacks and go to town. I find him easier without summons as a melee guy since it jacks his HP up so much and you want the fight to end quickly.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I wouldn't call Smelter Demon an easy boss, but it's a very fair boss for fighting 1v1. (Aside from the random wall glitch.) Given enough practice you can learn his movepool and tells pretty well, and I now consider him kind of easier than Old Iron King. For me it was a matter of practice by tens and tens of attempts.

With OIK I find new and amusing ways to douse myself in lava. :supaburn:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is the game server down right now or is it just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

It's down for everyone AFAIK. At least for me it is.