Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Hammerwatch
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=UMhWMknpqYmvbrNv

Edit: Well that was quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Morter posted:

Is it bad that I want to buy Humble Bundle 12 mainly for the novelty that I have none of those games? :ohdear:

I didn't have any of them, either! Feels good, man. The bundle is worth it, though, regardless of the reason you're buying it.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Trip report: Naval War: Arctic Circle is not a good game. Unfortunately, it has a pretty serious memory leak that causes it to clog, lag and freeze even the fastest computers when you get into the thick of the simulation.

If you were hoping for a spiritual successor to Janes Fleet Command, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

lordfrikk posted:

I didn't have any of them, either! Feels good, man. The bundle is worth it, though, regardless of the reason you're buying it.

No kidding. Clicking all of them in a row and getting "Successfully redeemed to Monkeyhuouse" was oddly satisfying.

It's odd when you have a fear of "possibly already having games". It's so first-world it's drat near cyberpunk.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The final act of Thi4f is just unspeakably awful.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Wait a second... there are games that have trouble with 3 TB+ hard drives?

Why would a computer game even need to know the size of a hard drive? Is it because those "you have X free space and the game occupies Y space" installers freak out when they see partitions that size or something?

Orv
May 4, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Wait a second... there are games that have trouble with 3 TB+ hard drives?

Why would a computer game even need to know the size of a hard drive? Is it because a lot of those "you have X free space and the game occupies Y space" installers freak out when they see partitions that size or something?

:shrug: But all of the Assassin's Creed games, Far Cry 2 and 3, LotR: War in the North, Blacklist, Darksiders 2, Saint's Row 2, 3 and 4 and I'm sure a couple others I'm forgetting don't function properly on a hard drive of that size. Most games just don't launch correctly, either failing to launch entirely or hanging on some menu and going no further. Darksiders 2, Thi4f and Blacklist have no sound in cutscenes. Saint's Row 2-4 gets to the main menu and hangs on loading/starting a game.

Partitioning is actually the answer here, but also I shouldn't need to do that. Whatever. It's just frustrating when I install a new game to find it doesn't work on my Steam HDD for reasons, so I have to use SteamMover or reinstall all 15+ GB entirely.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Orv posted:

:shrug: But all of the Assassin's Creed games, Far Cry 2 and 3, LotR: War in the North, Blacklist, Darksiders 2, Saint's Row 2, 3 and 4 and I'm sure a couple others I'm forgetting don't function properly on a hard drive of that size. Most games just don't launch correctly, either failing to launch entirely or hanging on some menu and going no further. Darksiders 2, Thi4f and Blacklist have no sound in cutscenes. Saint's Row 2-4 gets to the main menu and hangs on loading/starting a game.

Partitioning is actually the answer here, but also I shouldn't need to do that. Whatever. It's just frustrating when I install a new game to find it doesn't work on my Steam HDD for reasons, so I have to use SteamMover or reinstall all 15+ GB entirely.

What? I have a 3TB hard drive and have played SR4, War in the North, Far Cry 3 on it and didn't notice any problems. It's also not partitioned. Maybe your HDD is failing if you're having problems with so many games.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Entirely possible, though I'd think there'd be more problems than just ten games or so. The weird thing is I'm not the only one to have these problems, whenever I go to look for causes there's always other people with the same issue, so. Video games.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Quest For Glory II posted:

The bundle with the world's largest install size has finally arrived

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/fear-bundle/

Quick dumb question. Which FEAR do I actually install for FEAR 1? I've never played it and I have FEAR, Extraction Point, and Project Mandate all of which are 17(!!) gigs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Quick dumb question. Which FEAR do I actually install for FEAR 1? I've never played it and I have FEAR, Extraction Point, and Project Mandate all of which are 17(!!) gigs.

All of them. No I'm not joking.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Orv posted:

Entirely possible, though I'd think there'd be more problems than just ten games or so. The weird thing is I'm not the only one to have these problems, whenever I go to look for causes there's always other people with the same issue, so. Video games.

I dunno, I wonder what would cause that on some but not others. PC gaming yay

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Just FEAR 1, which contains both expansions, which is why it's 17GB. Each install contains the whole thing. :downs:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Just FEAR 1, which contains both expansions, which is why it's 17GB. Each install contains the whole thing. :downs:

Just to fully clear things up, Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate are the two expansions for FEAR 1 that you're forced to install alongside the main game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I think that if you have an older computer that don't directly support 3TB+ drives (which need GPT partitioning and thus a GPT-aware BIOS), and you have to install some drivers to make the disks work, it might interfere with some games. But that's just my guess.

edit: You don't happen to run Windows XP?

ymgve fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 9, 2014

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Could anyone give me a sense of direction in Shadowgate? I haven't played in a week and I'm at a point where I really have no idea where to even begin going to progress

I've killed the changling wolf woman thing. I found the wizard behind the door covered in roots. I captured a lightning wisp in the silver orb. There's a room thats pitch black that I'm not sure what to do with, there's a room that seems like it has a hidden passage behind a bookcase that I can't figure out how to get past. Talking to Yorick seems to suggest maybe I should head back to the start of the game but I have no idea what I can do there.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hahahaha oh wow. I get the install size joke now.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
There was some talk about Five Nights at Freddy's a few dozen pages back. Is it actually any good?

The Indiegala deal seems pretty sweet. Is any of the other stuff in there worth a go?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Is MX vs ATV reflex worth the dollar at the humble store?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

Why would a computer game even need to know the size of a hard drive? Is it because those "you have X free space and the game occupies Y space" installers freak out when they see partitions that size or something?

Yes. Either they set the upper limit for calculations so low that you end up with a signed integer into the negatives when it does the disk space calculations, or other such non future proofery.

I ran into that recently, but can't remember what the gently caress I was trying to install.

ymgve posted:

I think that if you have an older computer that don't directly support 3TB+ drives (which need GPT partitioning and thus a GPT-aware BIOS), and you have to install some drivers to make the disks work, it might interfere with some games. But that's just my guess.

Yeah, we've run into address space problems before; I'm working from faulty memory, but going over 250Mb on a drive was one, then there was the 4Gb addressing limit. In some cases it is simply the installer or the game doing bad math on not large enough numbers.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Does anyone else have problems running FEAR smoothly?

I run the benchmark thingy and it runs pretty fast, but when I actually play the game, it runs like crap.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Bubz posted:

There was some talk about Five Nights at Freddy's a few dozen pages back. Is it actually any good?

The Indiegala deal seems pretty sweet. Is any of the other stuff in there worth a go?

Haven't played it (and never will as I'm a big weenie), but everybody I've talked to about it has said it's one of the best horror games to come out in a long while. It's tense, it keeps you on your toes, and it's hard as gently caress.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Lance Streetman posted:

Haven't played it (and never will as I'm a big weenie), but everybody I've talked to about it has said it's one of the best horror games to come out in a long while. It's tense, it keeps you on your toes, and it's hard as gently caress.

It's good but vastly over rated. It's not hard, either, but it is tense. Not as scary as it's made out to be, and most of the scares are jump scares. I still think amnesia 1 is far scarier.

Also It's boring after maybe an hour or so, since the game is so short and simple. But it is a fun hour! Worth $5 , or you can buy it for your phone and pay $3.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Yeah, it's really not scary. The battery management aspect is stressful more than anything.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Holy crap it's Ford Racing 3. I had this for the PS2 as a present. It's an A Plus game if you feel like racing with a Model T.

...I can't speak to the quality of any other cars because it's been a long time, but still! Model T! You can hit, like, 50 mph going down a hill!

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

e: Nevermind!

ovaries fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 10, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
E: Well then.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
E: How bout them video games

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

well now I'm curious

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Awesome! posted:

well now I'm curious

drat straight - what's going on between these people, behind our backs? We'll just have to have our own edited-out conversation, but with blackjack and hookers! :argh:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Blackjack and hookers is what got us to this sorry state in the first place.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Orv posted:

Blackjack and hookers is what got us to this sorry state in the first place.

New Jersey?

Orv
May 4, 2011
You said it, not me.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

drat straight - what's going on between these people, behind our backs? We'll just have to have our own edited-out conversation, but with blackjack and hookers! :argh:

Did it relate to mundane site login issues, or was it something salacious? The answer is unfortunately lost to time!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ovaries posted:

Did it relate to mundane site login issues, or was it something salacious? The answer is unfortunately lost to time!

Was one of those perhaps not an edit? Dunnnnooooo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
E: You didn't see nothing

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 10, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

E: You didn't see nothing

If I didn't see nothing, what did I see?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'd rather live in my own reality wherein FEAR never had any sequels and I imagined the last 5 seconds of the ending to FEAR.

Dude that was the perfect ending. I remember thinking how hard they nailed it, considering the source material it was gathering from.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

HardDisk posted:

Does anyone else have problems running FEAR smoothly?

I run the benchmark thingy and it runs pretty fast, but when I actually play the game, it runs like crap.

This is also a question I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://www.bundlestars.com/store/batman-arkham-origins/
Arkham Origins is 7.50 steamkey at bundle stars.

If you haven't played a batman game in a year or so it's really really good. At release it was panned(?) mainly for being more of the same, but it's a solid addition to the Bat universe.

If you've just come off playing A.City then hold off, but if you haven't played a Batman in a while, I say it's a pretty darn good game.

If you're a person complaining about "oh it's a prequel, durr 'ow come's 'e's got more weapons than the others games, wot wot? Bloody Murder!" then :fuckoff:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 10, 2014

• Locked thread