Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

Well the latest version of Gmail allows a lot of 3rd party accounts like Exchange/365 so aside from the UI they’re not much different

It looks like it only checks 3rd party accounts on a 15-minute fetch basis, though, which is sorta lovely.

You can use Mail.app and have push on an Office365 account and fetch Gmail, or you can use Gmail and have push Gmail and fetch Office365.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So okay, I can pin sites to the main interface with Safari.

When I load it, it updates the screenshot in the icon. So if I have a tab open of that page, it takes a screenshot of that and sets it as the image. If I don't, the new icon will be the Safari empty tab because it takes the screenshot before loading the page. :allears:

I'd need a browser set up so it has six icons I set, I click on it and it loads the page, while never saving my data when I dismiss the app. And doubly so never displaying me cached data. Can Firefox Focus do this?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is Bring still the go-to for sharing shopping lists with a spouse?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there an app/web program that is better at organizing documents than Pocket? I mainly use pocket to store essays/articles that I find on the internet, but I feel like the organizational aspect is really sparse. It has tags, but the way it utilizes them is very clunky. For example, not having some type of feature to nest tags, makes it so I need to have a separate tag for every little thing. It would be nice if I could hit the recipe tag, and then have all recipes already sorted into lunch, dinner, dessert. Instead I essentially need separate tags for all those categories, and have to click on each one separately. On top of that, the fact that it separates your articles into archived vs. non-archived is very irritating. I could have some of my recipes sitting in my unread list, and I would never see them if I was looking at my archived stuff. Why not have just one master list, and just indicate what is read/unread using border shading or highlighting?

Would programs like Raindrop, Instapaper, or Lumio do this for me?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 10, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Evernote’s web clipper and stuff might be up your alley?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Anyone know why Laserbreak/Laserbreak Pro/Laserbreak 2 aren't in the US App Store anymore?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is Bring still the go-to for sharing shopping lists with a spouse?

I like AnyList.

Free with some minor limitations, or a small annual sub.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Seconding AnyList.

Absolutely worth it, even the small yearly sub. It’s amazing to have my grocery list in my Watch.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If it’s only one simple list, a shared Reminders list works, too. Name it “grocery” and you can just tell Siri “add eggs to my grocery list”.

There’s watch Reminders integration since watchos3, too.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Megasabin posted:

Is there an app/web program that is better at organizing documents than Pocket? I mainly use pocket to store essays/articles that I find on the internet, but I feel like the organizational aspect is really sparse. It has tags, but the way it utilizes them is very clunky. For example, not having some type of feature to nest tags, makes it so I need to have a separate tag for every little thing. It would be nice if I could hit the recipe tag, and then have all recipes already sorted into lunch, dinner, dessert. Instead I essentially need separate tags for all those categories, and have to click on each one separately. On top of that, the fact that it separates your articles into archived vs. non-archived is very irritating. I could have some of my recipes sitting in my unread list, and I would never see them if I was looking at my archived stuff. Why not have just one master list, and just indicate what is read/unread using border shading or highlighting?

Would programs like Raindrop, Instapaper, or Lumio do this for me?

It's not free, but Stash is pretty solid.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If it’s only one simple list, a shared Reminders list works, too. Name it “grocery” and you can just tell Siri “add eggs to my grocery list”.

There’s watch Reminders integration since watchos3, too.

In my experience, iCloud syncing is not good enough for 2 people working off the same list like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anecdote, but iCloud has gotten really good for me the past six months or so. I take some pictures and they're showing up on iCloud.com in under two minutes as long as I'm on WiFi. Notes are snappy too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

~Coxy posted:

In my experience, iCloud syncing is not good enough for 2 people working off the same list like that.
Dunno, has worked flawlessly for us for a little over a year. We don’t do anything like simultaneous shopping, though, so “real time” hasn’t exactly been a concern if that’s what you mean by “working off the same list”.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Dunno, has worked flawlessly for us for a little over a year. We don’t do anything like simultaneous shopping, though, so “real time” hasn’t exactly been a concern if that’s what you mean by “working off the same list”.

My wife and I do use it for simultaneous shopping sometimes and it’s fairly instant. The biggest draw back to me is that it only populates on other devices in the order items were added. If you need to move something further up the list, the reordering won’t propagate to other devices.

Disregard, testing between my iPad and iPhone suggests that it does that now? Straight up seconding the rec reminders.app.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

~Coxy posted:

I like AnyList.

Free with some minor limitations, or a small annual sub.

Thwomp posted:

Seconding AnyList.

Absolutely worth it, even the small yearly sub. It’s amazing to have my grocery list in my Watch.

I'm used to a grocery list in OneNote, where we have everything possible in the lists, and toggle checkboxes to mark needed/bought. Can AnyList do this, or does it just want you to add only the things you need each time you're going to shop?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

~Coxy posted:

There's multiple kinds of icloud syncing, and I'm pretty sure the really bad one (icloud core data sync) has finally been eliminated from official apple apps.

The bad one was really bad, though.

https://www.macstadium.com/blog/science-confirmed-text-replacements-do-not-sync/

Individual developers can still use it, but most don't, because it's really bad and they'd get blamed by the users, not apple.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

beefnoodle posted:

I'm used to a grocery list in OneNote, where we have everything possible in the lists, and toggle checkboxes to mark needed/bought. Can AnyList do this, or does it just want you to add only the things you need each time you're going to shop?

I guess I'm unclear as to how you setup your grocery list.

So you have an entire list of everything you could possibly buy at the store, and just check off un-needed items? Do you then mass uncheck everything before each shopping trip and go through it all again?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
OurGroceries is pretty decent. Doesn’t look pretty but it gets the job done.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I wish one fuckin' person at Apple would give any reason, any at all, as to why Notes.app isn't available on Apple Watch

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Paprika is great but way more than just a grocery list. The only way to share the list is to log in with the same account, though. Also it was $3, but at least we both get it through family sharing.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Sobriquet posted:

Paprika is great but way more than just a grocery list. The only way to share the list is to log in with the same account, though. Also it was $3, but at least we both get it through family sharing.

I just noticed they released a new one. Anyone know if there’s any reason to update as it stands? My version is still working and syncing.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Here’s a post about the differences: http://www.paprikaapp.com/blog//2017/11/14/paprika-3-0-has-been-released-for-ios-and-macos/

I didn’t have it before v3, so I can’t compare. Nice to have one app on iPhone and iPad, though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

killa-pope posted:

Disregard, testing between my iPad and iPhone suggests that it does that now? Straight up seconding the rec reminders.app.

hey girl you up posted:

There's multiple kinds of icloud syncing, and I'm pretty sure the really bad one (icloud core data sync) has finally been eliminated from official apple apps.

Good to know.

I have to admit that my family hasn't used iCloud for anything since we discovered AnyList.

beefnoodle posted:

It doesn't really work that way but it does have favourites and autocomplete suggestions so you don't have to type out the whole name of every item on the list every time.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

~Coxy posted:

Good to know.

I have to admit that my family hasn't used iCloud for anything since we discovered AnyList.

It doesn't really work that way but it does have favourites and autocomplete suggestions so you don't have to type out the whole name of every item on the list every time.

Yeah I just got an email tip from them like that. Thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

virinvictus posted:

I just noticed they released a new one. Anyone know if there’s any reason to update as it stands? My version is still working and syncing.

I love me some Paprika but Jesus gently caress $30 for the MacOS version is insane. I bought the previous version 3 times (ipad, iphone, mac). Paid $3 for each mobile version and $10 for the Mac which looking back probably means I got them whenever they went on sale. $5 for the universal is a good price and I’ll happily grab that but the MacOS version can wait because gently caress.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I see no reason to update as long as the current version continues to work, unless they've added some crazy new features to it, but somehow I doubt that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Here's the apparent differences:

quote:

However, the several of the new features in Paprika 3 will not show up on the older versions:

Bold and italic recipe formatting.
Recipe links.
Embedded photos in recipe directions.
Custom meal types will show as the Snack type on older versions.
Menus only have one day on older versions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How is it possible for iMovie to be such irredeemable poo poo?

Name a cool app, fee or paid, that lets me adjust levels on a clip and doesn't assault me with ads or iap.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

How is it possible for iMovie to be such irredeemable poo poo?

Name a cool app, fee or paid, that lets me adjust levels on a clip and doesn't assault me with ads or iap.
Do you just mean the volume of clips or something more specific, cuz iMovie will totally let you do that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sorry, meant levels as in exposure, colors, etc.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Perhaps Adobe Premiere Clip can do what you need? It's free. I use photoshop express (free) all the time for those sorts of adjustments.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

enojy posted:

I wish one fuckin' person at Apple would give any reason, any at all, as to why Notes.app isn't available on Apple Watch

This, but podcasts. I can now stream Apple Music on my watch, but can’t stream or even store podcasts? It makes no sense.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Perhaps Adobe Premiere Clip can do what you need? It's free. I use photoshop express (free) all the time for those sorts of adjustments.

Yeah, that did the trick.

here, have a cat video I sort of salvaged with this.

https://i.imgur.com/q5wl4Ev.gifv

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Worth it.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

empty baggie posted:

This, but podcasts. I can now stream Apple Music on my watch, but can’t stream or even store podcasts? It makes no sense.

This thing works as a "send to" target in a podcast app to download the podcast to your phone and might not completely suck? I haven't tried it yet, but it's free to try out. https://itunes.apple.com/app/minicast/id1321902240?mt=8

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

hey girl you up posted:

This thing works as a "send to" target in a podcast app to download the podcast to your phone and might not completely suck? I haven't tried it yet, but it's free to try out. https://itunes.apple.com/app/minicast/id1321902240?mt=8

Thanks, I'll have to try that. I tried a couple of similar free apps that were supposed to send the files to the watch (I think the name of one was WatchCast), but I couldn't get them to work. Overcast even supported something like this at one point, but it was taken out due to some changes in iOS 11 I think?

E: This actually seems like it will work, but you have to pay $3.99 to unlock the full version for it to send anything but the first episode of Serial. It does appear to work with Overcast or any other podcast app, so I think I'll pay the 4 bucks and see what happens.

E2: Yep, it works! Still wish I could just stream instead of downloading individual episodes, but until that happens, this will work well in the meantime.

Now, if SiriusXM would enable streaming on the watch, I'd be completely happy...

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 22, 2017

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

empty baggie posted:

you have to pay $3.99 to unlock the full version for it to send anything but the first episode of Serial
this might be the best "try before you buy" ever

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m living in Europe for a while (years) but my iTunes account and everything I’ve ever bought or downloaded from the App Store are from the US App Store. I just bought a TV over here and I want to download the TV App for it but clicking the link tells me it’s not available in the US Store.

How do I do it so that I can download that one app and still keep all my US apps/subscriptions and the occasional in app purchases (like hearthstone loot boxes) still working?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Make an account in your country, log out, log in with it, download app, log out, log back in with your normal account.

Apple TV makes this a lot easier by storing multiple accounts on the box, but it’s not too awful on the phone either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PCalc is $0.99

Finally bought it because having a Calc on my watch is something I needed.