Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
At least the Dre people are honest in that they make headphones that primarily look and feel good and function as a fashion statement, audiophiles squabbling over which $500 placebo effect just feels the warmest is some depressing poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I buy the $10 headphones at the checkout line at walmart so I don't have to worry about losing or breaking them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

$500 is indeed rather ridiculous when you can get studio headphones for less than 200 bucks. If it's used by audio engineers it must be doing something right.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

earbuds and headphones are different products but I'll keep my eye out for it. Thank you.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I've had a good experience with the Philips Strada. I dunno about sound quality and all that, but for comfort and durability this one is pretty great. I have spent a lot of time busting the headbands on a lot of cheap headphones, but this one is made from a springy metal wire instead of telescoping plastic. Its really comfy this way and it doesn't place as much stress on the moving parts. I have big ol stick-out ears, but these don't make my ears hurt or cut off circulation. They're also very lightweight and travel well. The earpieces turn at a ninety degree angle and lay flat if you push them all the way back up. However, if you're looking for over-the-ear style earphones or something that can cancel out a lot of ambient noise, these don't do so well at that.

I dunno if these are selling points for you, but that's what I like about them. They strike a balance between being quality enough to last while being cheap enough I won't be super disappointed if they do go bust. I haven't broken my pair yet after nine months of use, which is a good thing because the manufacturers discontinued them and now only dead stock is being sold by third parties.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pulling this even further off-topic, I follow this tutorial (with a leather punch) to make any pair of earbuds more (passively) sound-cancelling. I love my Bose headphones, but they're bulky, need power (and can conk out on a long plane trip), and not especially portable, all of which make them less than ideal to use when traveling, which is a big reason I wanted sound-cancelling in the first place. These I can slip into my pocket or purse no problem, and the method works just as well with cheapo checkout-line earbuds as with fancier models.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Audiophiles are insane people. It drives me insane to hear them brag about their high end systems, only for them to be listening to highly compressed audio sources. At least go with FLAC if you don't want to bother with the headache of vinyl, but don't tell me so much about your setup, only to play a CD ripped MP3 on it.

poo poo, I have bad tinnitus and I can tell the difference between compressed and uncompressed music, but people who devote thousands of dollars to sound can't? I guess my hearing damage takes the warmth out of the songs...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Modern glues are just as strong as any screw and sometimes superior :colbert:.
As long as the pieces being glued dont have to pried apart to service the thing or the glue is a nice resin epoxy instead of from a hot snot gun it's good.

When my dad was rebuilding out house, he would put a layer of glue onto a board before screwing it in place. I finally asked why he did both, and he told me that the screw was just there to hold the boards together while the glue dried, since the glue was stronger than any screw. Makes sense to me now that I'm older; welding is better than bolting, so with a good enough resin, it should be better than screws as well

E: Although, thinking about welds, glue would imply that the two things are never meant to come apart, and thus, never repaired

The Door Frame has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Aug 6, 2016

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, glue is great for sone things, but I don't use it for anything that even has the slightest chance of having to come apart again. Some of those construction adhesives are brutal.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Actually, yeah, if you're a celebrity or an athlete or something, you can license out your own likeness for video games and stuff. It's why the main character in the Minority Report video game looks nothing like Tom Cruise, they couldn't get his likeness.
I'm sure there's an older example, but in the 1973-4 Gilligan's Island cartoon, Ginger had bleached her hair blonde because Tina Louise didn't want to be typecast as the same character.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, glue is great for sone things, but I don't use it for anything that even has the slightest chance of having to come apart again. Some of those construction adhesives are brutal.

When I glue things I might want to take apart, I use something I can chemically attack, like cyanoacrylate with acetone (as long as whatever I’m gluing isn’t also ruined by acetone), or something I can just scrape off, like silicone.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

GWBBQ posted:

I'm sure there's an older example, but in the 1973-4 Gilligan's Island cartoon, Ginger had bleached her hair blonde because Tina Louise didn't want to be typecast as the same character.

Holy poo poo, did I just realize a naming trend in Bob's Burgers?

Or am I insane

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I got my first parcel from Bobcat in a Box.

A postcard sent from Oregon. Kind of lame but still a neat surprise in the mail. I'm curious to see if I'll still receive more packages if I don't pay to renew for a new month, since I've only gotten one thing so far.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Tired Moritz posted:

SO, which headphones are the best for your buck?
I've been using these for the last ~7 years and they have served me well. Not top of the line, but the sound was good enough for studio work, and I hate earbuds.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I have a pair of those 50 Cent headphones that I got on clearance. They are shockingly good and probably the best cheap (well, they were like ~50 or 60 bucks) pair of headphones I've ever owned.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Door Frame posted:

Audiophiles are insane people. It drives me insane to hear them brag about their high end systems, only for them to be listening to highly compressed audio sources. At least go with FLAC if you don't want to bother with the headache of vinyl, but don't tell me so much about your setup, only to play a CD ripped MP3 on it.

poo poo, I have bad tinnitus and I can tell the difference between compressed and uncompressed music, but people who devote thousands of dollars to sound can't? I guess my hearing damage takes the warmth out of the songs...

There's software that lets you double blind test yourself to see if you can tell the difference between different encodings. Spoiler: the difference between very high bitrate compression, eg 320, and FLAC is placebo, even on the best equipment.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There's software that lets you double blind test yourself to see if you can tell the difference between different encodings. Spoiler: the difference between very high bitrate compression, eg 320, and FLAC is placebo, even on the best equipment.

But CD rips used to be 128k, which is what I meant; this happened around the time that the iPod Nano came out. I got sat down to enjoy a lower fidelity version of the songs I had on my iPod, but played through a $10,000 stereo system. There was not even a hint of electrical hum in those speakers though, I will give him that much. He was so drat proud of it all, I didn't have the heart to tell him that he could have saved thousands by changing his iTunes import settings...
Although, it is good to know that I made the right choice in formats out of laziness, FLAC was too much of a hassle for me

Also, my browser has red squiggles under "iPod" and wants to change it to "iPad"
That makes me feel old.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

republicant posted:

A postcard sent from Oregon. Kind of lame but still a neat surprise in the mail. I'm curious to see if I'll still receive more packages if I don't pay to renew for a new month, since I've only gotten one thing so far.

Oh poo poo, I got one of those too and thought it was junk mail from a printing company. Didn't even occur to me to connect it to Bobcat.

ETA: Just added "postcard" and "postcards" to the do not buy list.

Karma Monkey has a new favorite as of 15:20 on Aug 7, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Those are $50 CAD, :canada:

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

republicant posted:

you know the zip+4 completely negates blacking out your name and address, right?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Door Frame posted:

Also, my browser has red squiggles under "iPod" and wants to change it to "iPad"
That makes me feel old.

gently caress. :cry:

And yeah, I definitely remember downloading mp3s from kazaa and being horrified at how many people used the god awful default settings.

And the tagging. :stonk:

Edit: VVV System of a Down- Legend of Zelda Parody

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Aug 8, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nirvana - I'm a Loser Baby So Why Don't You Kill Me.mp3

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I still feel bad for every single comedy or parody artist at the time that wasn't Weird Al.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Karma Monkey posted:

Oh poo poo, I got one of those too and thought it was junk mail from a printing company. Didn't even occur to me to connect it to Bobcat.

ETA: Just added "postcard" and "postcards" to the do not buy list.

I don't know why you guys are so down on that postcard. Stick it on your fridge and when people ask what it is you can say 'oh that? A robot sent it to me' :awesomelon:

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Xenoletum posted:

you know the zip+4 completely negates blacking out your name and address, right?

It only narrows things down to about 50 different houses within a half mile from my house and doesn't reveal my name, so I'm not too worried about it.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Cleretic posted:

I still feel bad for every single comedy or parody artist at the time that wasn't Weird Al.

Weird Al hated this trend as well, too, because it tarnished his brand of doing clean parodies. It was bad marketing for everyone involved - except maybe Kazaa users who could search "Weird Al" as if it were the name of the genre, before people widely knew that parody songs WERE a genre, and the uploaders who would benefit from the misclicks of people who were fans of Al.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:lol: no, the "enhanced bass" on those should actually say "WAAAAAY too much over-boosted bass".

Get a set of these instead, they're great: https://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-Noise-Isolating-Earphones-BlackGunmetal/dp/B005HP3OB0

Or a set of Beyerdynamic DT-235s, if you want headphones instead of earbuds. Best bang for the buck headphones ever, hands down.

The Door Frame posted:

But CD rips used to be 128k, which is what I meant

Yeah, like 15-20 years ago :v:

The main issue back then wasn't the low bitrate, it was the utterly lovely MP3 encoders that people used. A 128kbps (or V5 VBR, which averages at ~128kbps) MP3 encoded with a modern encoder such as LAME will actually sound drat good, and be transparent for most people on most music in most situations.

Back in the bad old days, utter poo poo encoders like Xing MP3 or BladeEnc were the standard choices, and they sacrificed a lot of quality in their pursuit of faster encoding. To properly emulate the Xing 128kbps experience, you have to encode with LAME at around 48kbps and force a much simpler psychoacoustic model than it usually has. It really was that lovely back then, but since most people were just listening on crappy PC speakers, hardly anyone noticed.

Lossy codecs have come a long way since then. Try encoding something using the -2 (negative 2 on a scale of -2 to 9) quality setting with AoTuV Ogg Vorbis. That'll give you an average bitrate of just 32kbps, making the average song fit in around 700KB, and it still sounds better than FM radio!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

:lol: no, the "enhanced bass" on those should actually say "WAAAAAY too much over-boosted bass".

Get a set of these instead, they're great: https://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-Noise-Isolating-Earphones-BlackGunmetal/dp/B005HP3OB0

Or a set of Beyerdynamic DT-235s, if you want headphones instead of earbuds. Best bang for the buck headphones ever, hands down.

Yeah, like 15-20 years ago :v:

The main issue back then wasn't the low bitrate, it was the utterly lovely MP3 encoders that people used. A 128kbps (or V5 VBR, which averages at ~128kbps) MP3 encoded with a modern encoder such as LAME will actually sound drat good, and be transparent for most people on most music in most situations.

Back in the bad old days, utter poo poo encoders like Xing MP3 or BladeEnc were the standard choices, and they sacrificed a lot of quality in their pursuit of faster encoding. To properly emulate the Xing 128kbps experience, you have to encode with LAME at around 48kbps and force a much simpler psychoacoustic model than it usually has. It really was that lovely back then, but since most people were just listening on crappy PC speakers, hardly anyone noticed.

Lossy codecs have come a long way since then. Try encoding something using the -2 (negative 2 on a scale of -2 to 9) quality setting with AoTuV Ogg Vorbis. That'll give you an average bitrate of just 32kbps, making the average song fit in around 700KB, and it still sounds better than FM radio!

Ok, this is a little over my head, but I think you're saying that compression of the data isn't a real problem if you have the proper software to compress it, and also the proper software to unpack the data quickly and accurately? And possibly that the awful sound quality of early MP3'S was due to problems with the software that produced and played the files, not the format itself? I never bothered to learn this stuff because it was never relevant to anything I did, except when I would need new video codecs for QuickTime

In actual ads, Google has decided that this is the best thing to put in their YouTube App. I tapped it out of reflex the first time I saw it

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

republicant posted:

It only narrows things down to about 50 different houses within a half mile from my house and doesn't reveal my name, so I'm not too worried about it.

Cue the Terminator going door to door in your neighborhood. "ARE YOU SARAH CONNOR REPUBLICANT?"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Door Frame posted:

Ok, this is a little over my head, but I think you're saying that compression of the data isn't a real problem if you have the proper software to compress it, and also the proper software to unpack the data quickly and accurately? And possibly that the awful sound quality of early MP3'S was due to problems with the software that produced and played the files, not the format itself? I never bothered to learn this stuff because it was never relevant to anything I did, except when I would need new video codecs for QuickTime

Yes, that is pretty much the gist of it.

The MP3 format itself is a little funny, in that the spec to make a compliant decoder is extremely strict, to ensure that any MP3 will decode to the exact same raw audio data, no matter which decoder you use, within a very small margin of error. There were a few bad decoders, such as the original Winamp one, but apart from rare outliers like that, all MP3 decoders will produce the same result from a given MP3 file. An MP3 decoder is actually surprisingly simple to code, which also helped increase the adoption rate. So the problem wasn't really ever the players, it was the encoders.

Compared to the decoder spec, the encoder spec is rather loose and open to interpretation. That's why LAME is lightyears ahead of even the reference encoder made by Fraunhofer, the inventors of the format. The end result files must obviously be compatible with the decoding spec, but there are very few rules as to how you end up at that point. There has been a lot of development in psychoacoustic modeling, to determine when and where to remove "redundant" audio that we cannot hear anyway due to masking by louder sounds and other effects.

The reason why Xing and BladeEnc were/are so lovely is that they took the least possible effort to arrive at something that would play back as an MP3. They skimped on the psychoacoustics and just basically hacked and slashed at the audio until it fit the chosen bitrate, a sort of brute-force approach.

Newer formats such as Ogg Vorbis and AAC take a similar approach, with a strict decoder spec and a loose encoder spec, for the same reasons as MP3. I'm not sure how the specs are for Opus, but I assume they're similarly asymmetrical.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

KozmoNaut posted:

:lol: no, the "enhanced bass" on those should actually say "WAAAAAY too much over-boosted bass"
I've done mixes on those that didn't turn out too bad when checked later on studio monitors. I mean, it says "enhanced bass" in the tagline and that triggers me deeply too, but in reality these are reasonably balanced. I bought them with fingers crossed, based on how a handful of negative reviews complaining that the tagline was a lie almost balanced out all the others complimenting the bass end. I'm sure there's room to discuss whether they are good and it's possible that, even at the price, something better can be found. But they're not terrible like the $5 earbuds that were tuned to add flab to everything or the waves upon waves of shrill Sony earphones I used in the nineties.

What I'm saying is that we're in the right thread to discuss how boasting about bass maybe sells headphones, technically more than actually boosting bass, I guess.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Do not mix with earbuds

Instead get headphones that are comfortable to wear

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Flipperwaldt posted:

What I'm saying is that we're in the right thread to discuss how boasting about bass maybe sells headphones, technically more than actually boosting bass, I guess.

People just generally love BASS BASS BASS, to the point of ridiculousness. Everything should be nicely balanced, having ALL BASS ALL THE TIME just lessens the impact of a good deep bass hit.

Then again, most people with big car stereos seem to listen to the same Bassy McBass and His All-Bass Big Bass Band, Exxxtra Bass edition all the time, so I dunno.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
But I thought people were all about that bass bout that bass bout that bass no treble?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

HenryEx posted:

Do not mix with earbuds

Instead get headphones that are comfortable to wear
No poo poo. Don't hydrate by absorbing piss through your colon, drink delicious, fresh water through your mouth instead.

KozmoNaut posted:

Bassy McBass and His All-Bass Big Bass Band, Exxxtra Bass edition
My neigbors have their whole discography, I'm sure.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In my apartment building, I'm the guy with the big subs, but no one knows it, because I'm not an rear end in a top hat :)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KozmoNaut posted:

People just generally love BASS BASS BASS, to the point of ridiculousness. Everything should be nicely balanced, having ALL BASS ALL THE TIME just lessens the impact of a good deep bass hit.

Then again, most people with big car stereos seem to listen to the same Bassy McBass and His All-Bass Big Bass Band, Exxxtra Bass edition all the time, so I dunno.

5 hz boosted so high all you hear is a constant drone.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That reminds me of some schmuck on Head-fi who insisted that there was plenty of sub-bass in old recordings, "you just have to boost 32Hz by 30-50dB."

:psyduck:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In fact ,objectively, the best earbuds you can get under 20-30 bucks are JVC Gumys/marshmallows.

Gumy is absurdly good for something you can dig out of a bin at a discount store.

Sony's "under ten bucks" price point earbuds are good for the value, too, if you need something non-noise-cancelling.

Sure, that poo poo is about as durable as an ice sculpture, but if you work in a studio where other people are always borrowing your stuff, being able to toss a pair of $6.99 earbuds is way better than starting your shift staring at a broken pair of $250 studio headphones with a Wendy's gift card and an "I'm sorry" note taped to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Sure, that poo poo is about as durable as an ice sculpture, but if you work in a studio where other people are always borrowing your stuff, being able to toss a pair of $6.99 earbuds is way better than starting your shift staring at a broken pair of $250 studio headphones with a Wendy's gift card and an "I'm sorry" note taped to them.

This is so specific it has to have really happened.